Photo

A new start (again) for BG game plus mods

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#41 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:15 AM

No worries. My issue is with the WeiDU.log now. It is 1KB in size and has only 8 lines of text, although the game folder is full of mods. How can this be?

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
~SETUP-WEIDU.TP2~ #0 #0 // 24000
~SETUP-BWS.TP2~ #0 #0 // 20161130 - Updated by agb1 (installation started 06/03/2017)
~SETUP-BWINSTALLPACK.TP2~ #0 #0 // BiG World Installpack v16.7z
~WIDESCREEN/WIDESCREEN.TP2~ #0 #0 // Widescreen Mod -> for the original Infinity Engine (CHOOSE THIS!): Widescreen Mod v3.07
// Recently Uninstalled: ~SETUP-BWS_FINAL.TP2~ #0 #0 // Make quick-logged WeiDU-entries visible

The aforementioned WeiDU.log is from after a successful (according to BWS) installation of recommended mod list.

My fantasy story

"Man, in his discussions with other men about questions of religion, statecraft, geography, trade, has always reached a point in the discussion where it has seemed wise to reply to his opponent by disemboweling him or knocking his brains out."

My name is Thomas Hockenberry, Ph.D., and I think the "Ph.D." stands for "Pouring His Draft."

"The study of modern science today is being done by the brain of primitive man."

#42 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 12:23 PM

Based on the aforementioned info, should I delete everything in the "Big World Independent Installation" folder and start from scratch, what with a weird WeiDU.log?

My fantasy story

"Man, in his discussions with other men about questions of religion, statecraft, geography, trade, has always reached a point in the discussion where it has seemed wise to reply to his opponent by disemboweling him or knocking his brains out."

My name is Thomas Hockenberry, Ph.D., and I think the "Ph.D." stands for "Pouring His Draft."

"The study of modern science today is being done by the brain of primitive man."

#43 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 12:36 PM

Is there a file called BiG World Install.txt in the log folder ? And upload it.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#44 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:03 AM

What do you get when you start the game?

From "Big World Independent Installation" folder, If I use baldur.exe:

1.jpg

From "Big World Independent Installation" folder, If I use BGMain.exe:

2.jpg

From "Baldur's Gate" folder, I get Baldur's Gate 1 + Tales.

From "Baldur's Gate 2" folder, I get the same as from "Big World Independent Installation" folder.

Is there a file called BiG World Install.txt in the log folder ? And upload it.

I don't have it. The closest to it that I have is:

3.jpg

This is a list of all files in the "Big World Independent Installation" directory:

Attached File  Big World Independent Installation.txt   8.59MB   264 downloads

Edited by quinlan, 08 March 2017 - 12:04 AM.

My fantasy story

#45 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:24 AM

Ahh, it's the BiG World Debug.txt file- I was searching for, it should contains most of what happens during the install with weidu... upload that, and the .7z file. In a .zip file(or as any other type archive). It takes 100 times less space than a .txt.

By the way, what is the Antivirus program called ? Asking cause there's a few that sandbox the files that you can't use.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#46 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:24 AM

So, do all the above mean that something has gone terribly wrong? :crying:  :crying:  :crazy:

The antivirus is Bitdefender 2017. I had it turned off during the whole installation process.

Attached File  BiG World Debug.txt   491bytes   129 downloads

Attached File  BiG World Debug.7z   26.46K   117 downloads

Both of the above are from the "Big World Independent Installation" folder.

Edited by quinlan, 08 March 2017 - 02:29 AM.

My fantasy story

#47 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:39 AM

Looks like BWS did some initial file patching to prepare the installation and then was disrupted. Hence the empty log.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#48 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:51 AM

What should the next step be for me from here?

Edited by quinlan, 08 March 2017 - 02:59 AM.

My fantasy story

#49 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:41 AM

What should the next step be for me from here?

Honestly...

There is only one thing to do -

Delete everything.

Make a clean install of the 2 original games to a non-UAC protected part of your PC.

Download BWS latest version from Alien's signature (post #2).

Try to follow the guidance there carefully this time.

Do NOT try to repair failed installs - it is a frustrating waste of time. Even if it appears to be working at first glance, surprises come when you least need them. (Speaking from experience - be assured it has happened to all of us one time or another.)

PS Please do not shoot the messenger.

Edited by Roxanne, 08 March 2017 - 03:45 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#50 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:03 AM

I won't shoot... :fish:

The game was installed to a non-UAC protected part of the PC. Its path is "Local Disc (C:)/Games".

Fortunately I was prepared for such an eventuality. At my "Games" folder I have a "BG Backup" folder that contains 2 types of backups:

1. Full copy of everything from both BG1 and BG2 GOG installations.

2. A folder containing limited backups for both BG1 and BG2. Both contain the override folder, baldur.ini, BGMain, Chitin.key, dialogue.tlk.

I think I did everything through the "Big World Independent Installation" that was created during the process, but one cannot be sure and it is better to err on the side of caution. Should I delete the original BG1 and BG2 GOG folders along with the "Big World Independent Installation"? After this, in order to avoid reinstallation of the game, may I use the No.1 backup option?

Edited by quinlan, 08 March 2017 - 04:06 AM.

My fantasy story

#51 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:30 AM

Yes, you can use No.1 backup option but you didn't follow my advice to rename BG installation directory and then use IEGL Tool to fix baldur.ini. Please shorten BG path.

I forgot about that and now I pay the price. Could you give me a short enough name for a directory path starting with "Local Disc (C:)/Games"?

My fantasy story

#52 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:47 AM

Ok. What should one use? Is there an alternative to  c:\  other than C:\Users\Desktop\quinlan\...? I prefer an empty desktop screen and avoid as many icons/folders as possible. I think I am asking stupid questions now, but while I know how to use a PC, the underlying theory governing such stuff just doesn't exist...  :huh:

My fantasy story

#53 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:35 AM

The games folder you have is likely the Windows own "games" folder, aka the circle jerk town. You don't have a write permission on it.

Ok. What should one use? Is there an alternative to  c:\  other than C:\Users\Desktop\quinlan\...? I prefer an empty desktop screen and avoid as many icons/folders as possible. I think I am asking stupid questions now, but while I know how to use a PC, the underlying theory governing such stuff just doesn't exist...  :huh:

Well not really, as you only have the C drive, if I look at the pictures from earlier... by the way the "desktop" might not be the correct folder... as for me it's the "username" -tag I login to the computer(on Windows 10, well I don't actually login, but it's the default username I set it to be some time ago). 

Anyways also, if you have a foreign over-layer on Windows like mine, it can show the different directory names than they actually are. Wormdoors cheesed this up too.

But for you to do anything with the folder structure, you should make sure that you go to the place by manually going in there using the file explorer.

Aka, my folder names are in Finnish, but you get the jest of it as the red text will tell you the exact name is in English:

2sbod4p.jpg

The username folder will definitely be there for you, the "Games" and/or any other name you use for the folder is for you to create as they don't exist by default.

Edited by The Imp, 08 March 2017 - 07:49 AM.

#54 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:59 PM

Infants do need their food pureed... Thanks.

OK, time for a 2nd go at it.

Antivirus: Off

UAC: Disabled

Game installed in correct folder path: Done

2nd.jpg

Edited by quinlan, 09 March 2017 - 12:03 AM.

My fantasy story

#55 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:23 AM

And a new issue I was unaware of came up:

wqwqw.jpg

I have a GOG copy of both BG1 and BG2. This specific bif I did find, but not under "CD5\Movies\25movies.bif". GOG installations don't have CD folders. The 25movies.bif is under this path: 

sads.jpg

Perhaps I should have checked if GOG versions are compatible with BWS?

My fantasy story

#56 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:46 AM

[Alias]
HD0:=C:\Games\Baldur's Gate 2
CD1:=C:\Games\Baldur's Gate 2\data\
CD2:=C:\Games\Baldur's Gate 2\data\
CD3:=C:\Games\Baldur's Gate 2\data\
CD4:=C:\Games\Baldur's Gate 2\data\
CD5:=C:\Games\Baldur's Gate 2\data\
CD6:=C:\Games\Baldur's Gate 2\data\
[Game Options]
Memory Access=100
Memory Level=1
Use 3d Animations=0
Low End Machine=0
One Time Popup=1
Never Show Nuisance SOA=1
Current Loading Hint=8
Footsteps=1
Mouse Scroll Speed=36
GUI Feedback Level=5
Locator Feedback Level=3
Bored Timeout=3000
Always Dither=1
Subtitles=0
Keyboard Scroll Speed=36
Command Sounds Frequency=2
Selection Sounds Frequency=3
Effect Text Level=62
Infravision=0
Weather=1
Tutorial State=1
Attack Sounds=1
Auto Pause State=0
Auto Pause Center=1
Difficulty Level=2
Quick Item Mapping=1
Environmental Audio=1
Heal Party on Rest=0
Terrain Hugging=0
HP Over Head=0
Critical Hit Screen Shake=1
Hotkeys On Tooltips=1
Area Effects Density=100
Duplicate Floating Text=1
Tiles Precache Percent=100
Pausing Map=0
Extra Feedback=0
Filter Games=1
All Learn Spell Info=1
Never Show Nuisance=1
[Local]
Language=English
Language25=English
[Uninstall]
Uninst_dir=D:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{8DAE4336-2B71-11D4-9A6C-006067325E47}
Uninst_dir_25=D:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{B8C3B479-1716-11D5-968A-0050BA84F5F7}
[GameSpy]
Enabled=1
[MOVIES]
BISLOGO=1
BWDRAGON=1
WOTC=1
INTRO15F=1
INTRO=1
[Multiplayer]
Last Protocol Used=2
Player Name=dsdsdsd
Session Password=
Session Name=dsdsds

Ummm, I don't know how to use spoiler tag function. :ermm:

Edited by quinlan, 09 March 2017 - 12:52 AM.

My fantasy story

#57 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:56 AM

You could reinstall the BG2 to the intended folder, as you moved the files and thus the files are not where you installed the program into.
Or just edit the [Alias] -protion to say:
[Alias]
HD0:=C:\Users\Sofi-bo\Games\Baldur's Gate 2
CD1:=C:\Users\Sofi-bo\Games\Baldur's Gate 2\data\
CD2:=C:\Users\Sofi-bo\Games\Baldur's Gate 2\data\
CD3:=C:\Users\Sofi-bo\Games\Baldur's Gate 2\data\
CD4:=C:\Users\Sofi-bo\Games\Baldur's Gate 2\data\
CD5:=C:\Users\Sofi-bo\Games\Baldur's Gate 2\data\
And then you have to use the BGMain.exe('s shortcut) to start the game ALWAYS.

#58 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:56 AM

I think I identified the issue. 

CD1:=C:\Games\Baldur's Gate 2\data\
CD2:=C:\Games\Baldur's Gate 2\data\
CD3:=C:\Games\Baldur's Gate 2\data\
CD4:=C:\Games\Baldur's Gate 2\data\
CD5:=C:\Games\Baldur's Gate 2\data\
CD6:=C:\Games\Baldur's Gate 2\data\

The backup folders I used where from my installation of course, but it is an installation made in my 1st attempt where I didn't use the correct path as I do now. Is there a fix for this, or do I have to make a new installation in this new, correct directory? I'd rather avoid that install, start playing to create save folders - if possible...

My fantasy story

#59 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:57 AM

Read the post above yours... :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: ... :tease: :clown: :twisted:

Edited by The Imp, 09 March 2017 - 12:58 AM.

#60 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:58 AM

Or just edit the [Alias] -protion to say:

[Alias]
HD0:=C:\Users\Sofi-bo\Games\Baldur's Gate 2
CD1:=C:\Users\Sofi-bo\Games\Baldur's Gate 2\data\
CD2:=C:\Users\Sofi-bo\Games\Baldur's Gate 2\data\
CD3:=C:\Users\Sofi-bo\Games\Baldur's Gate 2\data\
CD4:=C:\Users\Sofi-bo\Games\Baldur's Gate 2\data\
CD5:=C:\Users\Sofi-bo\Games\Baldur's Gate 2\data\
And then you have to use the BGMain.exe('s shortcut) to start the game ALWAYS.

I am going to try the edit option and see how it goes, thanks!

My fantasy story