Photo

Universal lesser mage robes

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

Poll: For which classes/kits should they be useable? (26 member(s) have cast votes)

For which classes/kits should they be useable?

1. They should be available for all classes/kits (4 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

2. They should be available for everyone, except Kensais and Shapechangers (2 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

3. They should be available for mages and monks only (7 votes [26.92%])

Percentage of vote: 26.92%

4. Leave them for mages only (13 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 11:40 AM

Just asking your opinion about this component. Since it WILL be included into v1, I would like to ask for your thoughts - do you think it is a good idea, to let the lesser mage robes (fire/cold/electricity resistance robes, Knave's, Adventurer's, Traveller's) be useable for everyone?

Note, that only monks and maybe Kensais would truly benefit from these changes, since these robes offer minor bonuses compared to armors.
Posted Image

Refinements v2 has been released!
Go and visit the website or the forum for more info!

Member of The Silver Star team.

#2 Userunfriendly

Userunfriendly

Replendent Beta Tester of Madness!!!

• 2175 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 02:25 PM

id like to see the lesser robes to be wearable by monks...and pure class kensai...

btw....can kensai wear the robe of the apprenti??? i mean almost no one i've ever heard of picks that reward...staff of power and ring of wizardry are overwhelmingly the two most chosen...but it would make sense, with the monk npc and kensai npcs you can download now, and in the future that the robe of apprenti can be worn by anyone...its not nearly as good as the robes of archmagi, for the pc, but for a monk npc and kensai npc it would be excellent equipment.. ^_^
They call me....

Darth...

Darth Gizka...

#3 Galactygon

Galactygon

Modding since 2002

• 938 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 02:58 PM

Simple Answer: Leave them as it is.
Posted Image

#4 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 03:06 PM

id like to see the lesser robes to be wearable by monks...and pure class kensai...

This would be my choice as well. ;)

btw....can kensai wear the robe of the apprenti??? i mean almost no one i've ever heard of picks that reward...staff of power and ring of wizardry are overwhelmingly the two most chosen...but it would make sense, with the monk npc and kensai npcs you can download now, and in the future that the robe of apprenti can be worn by anyone...

No, this won't be useable by anything else than a mage.

its not nearly as good as the robes of archmagi, for the pc, but for a monk npc and kensai npc it would be excellent equipment..

Not as powerful as the ones you've listed, but powerful enough to unbalance this component. Remeber, the lesser mage robes won't give your character reasonable bonuses - changing one's base AC to 3 is a great bonus however.
Posted Image

#5 jester

jester

biased bystander

• 1476 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 04:19 PM

If it is a mage's robe give , why give it to monks or kensai or shapechangers? This does not net much tweaking I think. You could introduce monk robes. However that would not change their appearance, so I do not see the point in getting a +1 save or 20% cold reduction for a monk.
"It's 106 miles to Arroyo, we got a full fusion cell, half a pack of RadAway, it's midnight, and I'm wearing a 50-year old Vault 13 Jumpsuit. Let's hit it!" -The Chosen One

Free your mind

#6 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 03:37 AM

If it is a mage's robe give , why give it to monks or kensai or shapechangers?

My problem is the fact that they are called MAGE robes. I see no reaon why they should be handled as such. Magical cloaks (sometimes offering much greater bonuses than robes) are useable by almost anyone, so why not robes? What is the difference?

You could introduce monk robes. However that would not change their appearance, so I do not see the point in getting a +1 save or 20% cold reduction for a monk.

While they won't change the characters in-game avatar, they offer most interesting character colorization options, some of them are more than perfect. Try the Adventurer's robe for an evil monk for example ;) !
Posted Image

#7 Littiz

Littiz
  • Modder
  • 1078 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 02:27 PM

My plain opinion on this component: it will prevent for me the handy usage of the "install everything" feature! :D

I say, give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar (I hope the english speaking world uses this one too, more or less :rolleyes: )

Ok, ok, it's optional... let's just keep it... :D ;)

Ever forward, my darling wind...

#8 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 02:35 PM

I say, give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar (I hope the english speaking world uses this one too, more or less

Nope :unsure: . Though its meaning is clear :rolleyes: ...
My small alteration to the words above:
"Give ME what belongs to ME - give me monk ROBES!!!" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Posted Image

#9 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 02:45 PM

BTW, I guess you don't like the IWD2 method where almost every class can use almost any item, armor or weapon..?
You know, I always thought that kind of interpretation of the game-system was much more useable and realistic. I see no reason why a mage shouldn't be able to wear a Studded Leather - the fact that he would lose his spellcasting capabilities while wearing it is another story, and his own problem. Or why is that mages cannot wield (even worse, cannot even use) a long sword... <_<
Posted Image

#10 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 28 January 2004 - 03:02 PM

While they won't change the characters in-game avatar, they offer most interesting character colorization options, some of them are more than perfect. Try the Adventurer's robe for an evil monk for example !

Too bad...just imagine a monk doing that high kick in a mage's robe...

So, Elminster, what if dividing skirts in four places distracts from the magical enchantment of the robe? My bardic carrier is soaring ever since!

Shoo, shoo, nasty black bear! No looking under the Great Druid's robes!

*Sigh* Can someone carry a ranger over the creek? Or you ALL gonna see my legs as I am trying to cross it without so totally these glyphs yet again. Cromwel charges an arm and a leg for replacing those, ye know.

#11 Userunfriendly

Userunfriendly

• 2175 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 04:45 PM

You know, I always thought that kind of interpretation of the game-system was much more useable and realistic. I see no reason why a mage shouldn't be able to wear a Studded Leather - the fact that he would lose his spellcasting capabilities while wearing it is another story, and his own problem.

Effects Immunities (Here's the general affect, long list after)
0x00000065
# (put #'s from list here, for specific affects)
0x00000001
0x00000001

145 is Disable Spell Casting Abilities

I AM SO BAD!!!

(cast spells in full plate, or while under tensor's transformation)

^_^
They call me....

Darth...

Darth Gizka...

#12 jester

jester

biased bystander

• 1476 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 05:48 PM

BTW, I guess you don't like the IWD2 method where almost every class can use almost any item, armor or weapon..?
You know, I always thought that kind of interpretation of the game-system was much more useable and realistic. I see no reason why a mage shouldn't be able to wear a Studded Leather - the fact that he would lose his spellcasting capabilities while wearing it is another story, and his own problem. Or why is that mages cannot wield (even worse, cannot even use) a long sword... <_<

2ED interpretation of BG2 would be my bold guess

Introducing UAI as HLA for all classes would certainly solve this problem!
:D :D :D

BTW I think monks should be able to wear lesser mage robes, but I do not think it is a necessity or a refinement.
"It's 106 miles to Arroyo, we got a full fusion cell, half a pack of RadAway, it's midnight, and I'm wearing a 50-year old Vault 13 Jumpsuit. Let's hit it!" -The Chosen One

Free your mind

#13 CamDawg

CamDawg

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

• Modder
  • 1505 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 09:19 PM

Rather than converting the existing mage robes, I vote for creating new monk-specific or generic robes--maybe even some high-end robes that offer stuff like +1 DEX or some other martial bonuses.

Why is this Hypnotoad video so popu... ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD.
____
The Gibberlings Three - Home of IE Mods

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.

#14 Userunfriendly

Userunfriendly

• 2175 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 11:26 PM

Rather than converting the existing mage robes, I vote for creating new monk-specific or generic robes--maybe even some high-end robes that offer stuff like +1 DEX or some other martial bonuses.

with the same coloring as existing robes???

that would get my vote...

tgm's description of how rocking and cool a monk would look with the same color schemes as adventurer's robes got me interested...

i'd like to see screens of it, please... :P
They call me....

Darth...

Darth Gizka...

#15 Caedwyr

Caedwyr

Wraith Editor

• 962 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 11:31 PM

I'd also prefer monks getting some new duds, but specially tailored for themselves and not mage hand-me-downs. Maybe a couple of similar +certain saves robes. I'd stick away from resitance robes, since monks don't really need any help in that department. It would also be good if the robes were a bit rare, and not available at most merchants. Maybe only a couple of high end merchants, or some rarely used merchant.
"Knowledge is Power. Power Corrupts. Study Hard. Be Evil." - Ferret

PnP Celestials
Geomantic Sorcerer Kit

#16 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 11:51 PM

Your suggestions on the new monk robes has merit, though you shouldn't forget that adding new items and changing stores is not in the current aims of the mod. I would be gladly add a few very interesting monk robes to the game for v2, but until then we'll have to suffice with these items. Some of them (Adventurers, Knave's..) are offering save bonuses.

BTW, do you think it completely impossible that Kensais could wear robes?
Posted Image

#17 Userunfriendly

Userunfriendly

• 2175 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 04:00 AM

I'd also prefer monks getting some new duds, but specially tailored for themselves and not mage hand-me-downs. Maybe a couple of similar +certain saves robes. I'd stick away from resitance robes, since monks don't really need any help in that department. It would also be good if the robes were a bit rare, and not available at most merchants. Maybe only a couple of high end merchants, or some rarely used merchant.

or you can only quest for them...like part of firky's loot??? or in de'arnise hold, somewhere???

and i think that robes for kensais would be great...

the kit description says no armor...but robes are not armor... ;)
They call me....

Darth...

Darth Gizka...

#18 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 04:24 AM

or you can only quest for them...like part of firky's loot??? or in de'arnise hold, somewhere???

and i think that robes for kensais would be great...

the kit description says no armor...but robes are not armor...

Nice ideas. Some of them will make their way to v2. ;)
Posted Image

#19 Schatten

Schatten

tomo the homo

• 1208 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 12:50 PM

. I see no reason why a mage shouldn't be able to wear a Studded Leather - the fact that he would lose his spellcasting capabilities while wearing it is another story, and his own problem. Or why is that mages cannot wield (even worse, cannot even use) a long sword... <_<

it is easy to explain. why should a electromechanics work in a carworkshop? see what i mean? a mage wears light clothes who enhance his/her magical abilities by runes/symbols enscribed on it. he must use his hands and arms and incedients to cast spells. he is too snobish (dont know another word) to go to melee. melee is for stupid barbarians not for intelectual persons like a mage. he works and battles with his brain.

now you may ask: wtf are you talking? if you want to use a sword why not use it? true. but somewhere you have to made a line what is allowed and what not. on a pc its a whole lot difference than on a table. i think a lot of groups allow a mage to use a sword sometimes. but the purpose of a mage is to cast spells not to swing a sword.

dang, way to long. :D
gentoo sex is updatedb; locate; talk; date; cd; strip; look; touch; finger; unzip; uptime; gawk; head; emerge --oneshot condom; mount; fsck; gasp; more; yes; yes; yes; more; umount; emerge -C condom; make clean; sleep.

#20 Kish

Kish
  • 1265 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 03:16 PM

a mage wears light clothes who enhance his/her magical abilities by runes/symbols enscribed on it.

By that logic, a mage should be unable to cast spells naked, either. It's not that they need robes--it's that they can't cast in armor.

he is too snobish (dont know another word) to go to melee. melee is for stupid barbarians not for intelectual persons like a mage.

This is an inappropriate personality limitation. It would annoy me if I was told, "Your character MUST be an intellectual snob" without a reason. What, holding melee weapons in contempt is a requirement to make magic work? No...it's not, or it wouldn't be possible for a wizard to dual-class or be multiclassed.
Posted Image

http://www.moveon.org/fox/
"You are what you do. Choose again, and change."
--Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan