Renal Bloodscalp dialogue

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#21 Hendryk

Hendryk
  • 873 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 07:12 PM

From the TRA file:

@824 = ~Well, if it isn't Chloe the wonder girl returning to stand before Renal Bloodscalp. Whattaya know?~
@825 = ~Wonder girl indeed. I believe you owe me some money, Renal.~
@826 = ~Pardon? I think not, girlie. I lost so many of my thieves that night. It did not even approach being a successful night!~
@827 = ~Not my problem. I completed the task you assigned me, therefore you owe me what we agreed upon.~
@828 = ~You can have a thousand gold coins and not a copper more than.~
@829 = ~You owe me 3000 coins, not a thousand.~
@830 = ~Perhaps I was unclear... you'll take a thousand or you'll get nothing at all!~
@831 = ~You'll pay me the 3000 or I'll slaughter every last one of your thieves and leave you hanging on the wall impaled by my sword while I gather up as much gold as I can carry.~
@832 = ~Then I'll leave you to bleed to death while I spend the coin on fine wine, great music, and lovely women.~
@833 = ~Eh... 2500 was it?~
@834 = ~3000. Pay up or it'll double.~
@835 = ~(Grumble) Here's your blasted gold. Threaten me again and you'll find a blade in your back when you least expect it.~
@836 = ~Pleasure doing business with you, shorty.~

This does not sound to me like a strong leader paying a debt that he honestly owes. Nor does Renal seem resourceful enough to have gained a guildmaster's position despite being a coward. The only other qualities he might have are being sneaky and vengeful enough to assassinate anyone who behaved so, yet there are no repercussions. If Renal is neither tough nor smart nor remorseless, he doesn't convince.
Ready. Fire. Aim.

#22 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 10:34 PM

If Renal is neither tough nor smart nor remorseless, he doesn't convince.

And what really pains me is that he was both tough and smart in his Bioware implementation. <_<
Posted Image

Refinements v2 has been released!
Go and visit the website or the forum for more info!

Member of The Silver Star team.

#23 -Flash-

-Flash-

Posted 07 April 2004 - 05:54 AM

hey wat if killing chloe could anger aran linvail?
she did save his daughter after all.
and mite have earned a name for herself within the shadow thieves

#24 Hendryk

Hendryk
  • 873 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 06:20 AM

Judging from her later condescending attitude towards Aran, he wouldn't object in the slightest. Also, people who "make a name for themselves" by association with criminal organizations and then flaunt their independence so assertively are practically begging to be killed. Instead of Renal Bloodscalp, try thinking Tony Soprano and imagine how he'd take an outburst like this.
Ready. Fire. Aim.

#25 Xenomorph

Xenomorph
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 08:29 AM

? I think not, girlie. I lost so many of my thieves that night. It did not even approach being a successful night!~

I'd suggest changing this line to something that's more grammatically correct. Perhaps "I think not, girlie. I lost so many of my thieves that night, it did not even approach me as being anything close to successful!"

Of corse, this is just me being anal. :P

#26 VigaHrolf

VigaHrolf

God of Paperclips

• 79 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 08:39 AM

I guess one could look at this as 'Hand Cannon Syndrome'

That is, Renal is looking down the barrel of a large gun and its pointed at his head. That is Chloe and her new friends. He wants to save his skin.. yada yada. That could intimidate, but I would agree it doesn't quite fit.... but not in my opinion for the intimidation factor but in the unwillingness to pay. If you hire mercs and don't pay them, you won't get more mercs. At least good ones. That would weaken his position as would his breaking 'business deals'

Now a few of his associates coming to visit later on and trying to get Chloe with some poisoned daggers or such, that would help it out, reinforce it a little.

Just thinking out loud here. Course it never really bothered me when I saw the scene. *shrug*

VH

#27 Schatten

Schatten

tomo the homo

• 1208 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 08:44 AM

"That is, Renal is looking down the barrel of a large gun and its pointed at his head. That is Chloe and her new friends. He wants to save his skin"

he is a high lvl leader of a very powerfull organisation. do you really think he has to fear such a little gang? he quaffs a potion and is gone and summons immediatly an asassine squad that backstabs the whole party into sliced bread.
gentoo sex is updatedb; locate; talk; date; cd; strip; look; touch; finger; unzip; uptime; gawk; head; emerge --oneshot condom; mount; fsck; gasp; more; yes; yes; yes; more; umount; emerge -C condom; make clean; sleep.

#28 Lucythebeast

Lucythebeast

Chloe's bitch

• Modder
  • 593 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 10:35 AM

It takes time to quaff a potion and have it work. At least a few seconds. Renal has seen Chloe behead someone in less than half that time. Renal is also far too distracted by Bodhi to worry about some upstart mercenary who got paid her fair wage and had to use tough negotiation tactics to get it.

Renal himself states that he doesn't like people who are too agreeable and don't state what they want in short order. He likes people that show a backbone, and don't over-state a threat. Chloe didn't go too far, she showed bravado or perhaps simply just self-confidence in her skills and spoke honestly that she would kill him if he went back on their deal. The rest about killing the other guildmembers was more of a bluff than anything else and was seen as such, but it would undermine her threat if she didn't say it. It's not very scary if someone says "Yeah I'll kill you then get backstabbed by your guards here... but I'll still get you!" Renal wouldn't trust his underlings enough to have him resurrected if he was killed so he'd want to avoid getting killed at all costs. What it all boils down to is: he had bigger fish to fry.

I can understand the points raised against this dialogue, but I don't agree that they warrent me taking it out. The part about Yoshimo not being in the party causes a minor bug is a valid point though... I remember the opposite was true when we were testing... Yoshimo being present caused this problem and we compensated for it and I guess it made the opposite true. I don't have the knowledge or skills to fix it so that both possibilities are accounted for... so if I take this dialogue out it will be for that reason only.

Save a vampire. Give blood.

#29 VigaHrolf

VigaHrolf

God of Paperclips

• 79 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 10:53 AM

Okay, we have Renal, the high level leader of an organization, and angry, armed, and extremely quick person with in arms reach. To quaff that potion, he needs to grab said potion, uncork, drink and wait for it to take effect. Call it 5 seconds at best. All someone has to do is unsheath and slice. And I've seen a 70 year old man unsheath a katana so fast I could barely even see it. Chloe's faster and younger. Call that 2-3 seconds. Renal still loses, or at least its real real bad odds.

Also, the backstabbing... to backstab, one must be unobserved to strike. In a combat situation it would not be the easiest to hide in the shadows. Now with magic you can, but that magic can be countered. I mean in the game, you can be standing in plain sight, hit the button and you're hidden which is just more than a little ridiculous. So I doubt that the party, prepared and ready, would be 'backstabbed into ribbons'.

Yes, it probably leads to a bloodbath. But Renal I doubt really wants to die.

This is just my opinion. *shrug* But I do think that the various and sundry opinions have been made and the modmaker had her say, so let's give her a break, huh?

#30 Caedwyr

Caedwyr

Wraith Editor

• 962 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 11:21 AM

A quick question. How does Chloe know that Renal doesn't have hidden archers/snipers or already invis theives covering her. From a crime boss' perspective, it would be the logical thing to do when you are planning on conning someone you know is very good at killing. It doesn't make sense from Renal's perspective to put himself in a position where he is forced to give in to a threat, if the other party calls him on his cheating.

Another point, for all Chloe knows, Renal doens't need to drink the potion, he could have a ring of invisibility or other magical method of disappearing. Someone in Renal's position would be expected to have several magical trinkets lying around.

A final point we need to consider, is that Renal has a pair of boots of speed. I think that even if Renal didn't take precautions before hand (pretty much unthinkable since he knows about Chloe's capabiilties) his experience with the speed granted him by the boots of speed would make him think he could evade Chloe. After all, he can move at superhuman speeds as well.
"Knowledge is Power. Power Corrupts. Study Hard. Be Evil." - Ferret

PnP Celestials
Geomantic Sorcerer Kit

#31 thecursed

thecursed

Just a ghost from the past

• 680 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 11:27 AM

its clear that we could argue on this subject for ages, and to say my piece, i find it quite interesting. but where is this discussion leading? lucy redoing the dialogue? if so, suggestion could be helpfull, a poll could be as well, but most of all, its the maker who gets final cut.
"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune.... they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures"
Gerrard of the Weatherlight

Wisdom: Distinguish the extraordinary from the spectacular

Beware My ever shifting avatar!!

#32 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 11 April 2004 - 07:09 AM

Well, as it stands, the dialogue is pretty bad, I agree...

If Choles developers wanted to show her off as a tough girl, there are plenty of other opportunities to do so. As it stands, she looks like a suicidal moron, Renal looks like moronic wimp, and I kept looking for the "Slap the idiot girl, then deny you have any connection with her" response...

As mentioned above - imagine the exact same dialogue taking place between Tony Soprano and an independent contractor - the freelance guy would just be giving out the "I'll be dead before commercial break" and we would never believe it if Tony were to cave in...

Anyways, the dialogue would actually be vilable if they haggled for a bit - possibly with a few semi-serious threats on both sides, then Renal would suggest that he would pay Chloe in full + once she does a little something extra for him...

A minor quest would be nice, but for simplicity's sake, just tie it into the Mae'var plot... and increase the award at the end a bit.

#33 -Flash-

-Flash-

Posted 14 April 2004 - 07:32 AM

the idea about where chloe gets attacked by thieves later on, sent by renal after she made that threat sounds good

#34 Lucythebeast

Lucythebeast

Chloe's bitch

• Modder
  • 593 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 09:39 AM

I can't say too much about this, but in ToB there will be a consequence for Chloe's threatening of Renal. And it'll work out to be a lot more interesting then some minor quest or a random encounter. I don't think anyone will be disappointed.

#35 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 15 April 2004 - 07:23 AM

What people seem to be missing, is that the creators idea of Renal is "an annoying halfing". :wacko:

Really. Check out Chloe's introductory fiction. I kept waiting for the real Renal to show up, but no luck.

If Renal's avatar was at least changed to an annoying halfing, along with all his dialogue this would... well, it would still be retarded, but at least consistently so.

#36 Lucythebeast

Lucythebeast

Chloe's bitch

• Modder
  • 593 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 07:19 PM

Guest, I don't know why you keep deleting and reposting that comment, but it's getting annoying. Everytime I come to check messages here now that shows up as a new message and lo and behold, it's the same message. We've seen it, you've gotten your comment in. Now let it be already.

#37 Kish

Kish
  • 1265 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 07:23 PM

The board appearing to have a new message is likely a board glitch. Guests can't do anything with their posts.
Posted Image

http://www.moveon.org/fox/
"You are what you do. Choose again, and change."
--Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

#38 -Shadow Master.-

-Shadow Master.-

Posted 18 April 2004 - 05:26 PM

I can't say too much about this, but in ToB there will be a consequence for Chloe's threatening of Renal.

Renal wouldn't send his minions to kill a person who threatened him in his presence if that's how you plan to remedy the situation. That would still lend him the appearance of a coward. If Renal came after someone himself, well that just destroys any notion of the Shadow Thieves having any power because he'll still end up dead.

If anyone threatened Renal's life in front of him, he wouldn't hesitate to kill them. As far as the game goes, the neutral Shadow Thieves are untouchable unless you want Arkanis Gath to kill your whole party in the time it takes to blink an eye.

Still, if you plan to create an enemy party comprised of 30th level assassins who are unmistakably powerful to hunt down Cloe, then by all means do so. :D

#39 Lucythebeast

Lucythebeast

Chloe's bitch

• Modder
  • 593 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 07:55 PM

Fine, I'll edit the mod so that Renal kills you all. Then you can all be happy.

#40 Phantasy

Phantasy
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 08:24 PM

How about the chance to stop Chloe before she goes too far, and then Renal Killing you all, or at least Chloe, if you allow her to be so rash. For good measure, Arkanis Gath can do it.