Monk Changes

• Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

#121 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 07:33 AM

No, monk's animation cannot support 2 handed weapons, 2 weapons or weapon + shield.

Maybe you could use another class' animations ? :huh:

#122 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 12:24 AM

I seem to recall that, to prevent players from wrongly putting an item in the shield hand, they (Bioware's devs) decided to put a invisible, undroppable etc. item in their left hand (or something like that). When you play a monk and "pick up" a 1 handed weapon, you'll see the yellow square only around the "main weapon" slots, and not around the "shield" slot.
You should ask Dave Gaider for details, though (at least, Ascension Balthazar has for reasons unknow a staff + 3 among his quick weapons)

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#123 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 12:39 AM

Ascension Balthazar has for reasons unknow a staff + 3 among his quick weapons

Indeed, and he can use it as well - we could take a look at that later on.
Posted Image

Refinements v2 has been released!
Go and visit the website or the forum for more info!

Member of The Silver Star team.

#124 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 31 July 2004 - 02:19 AM

That's a lot of cool new powers. Hope they won't be getting a hado-ken? :ph34r:

What effects does inner time have on missiles\traps? Are they slowed down as well.

#125 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 08:41 AM

That's a lot of cool new powers

Indeed. With good tactics, a new Refinements monk can become DANGEROUS. Still, one of my prime goals was to uphold balance, and all their new abilities were developed in this light. The only "overpowered" ability is Inner Time, but it has MANY prerequisites, and one needs to sacrifice many other nice abilities to get that one. Plus it has some disadvantages too, although they are nothing compared to the gained benefits.

What effects does inner time have on missiles\traps?

All missile weapons (be it normal or enchanted missile) are catched by the monk and thrown back to the source with the same speed and accuracy. Traps work as usual.
Posted Image

#126 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 02 August 2004 - 10:04 AM

But when monk moves "faster than eye", he doesn't set off traps. Shouldn't inner time monk be too fast for them as well?

#127 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 12:07 AM

No. Faster Than the Eye is MUCH more faster than the Inner Time state. It lasts one sec only though, so it is only good for escaping dangerous situations, or to catch an escaping prey, if you prefer... ;)
Posted Image

#128 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 12:06 AM

NOTE: there will be a few additional minor changes in the new monk table. After a discussion with Littiz, he made some interesting comments and objections. The discussion/debate is once again open for the public, and I'm waiting suggestions:

- Diamond Soul/Perfect Self: need a better effect, immunity to 1st level spells won't do. I accept 3rdE effects too. Note: it should be a permanent passive ability.

- Finger of Venom: will be modified to Finger of Destruction, or something similar. The "magical poison" thingy wasn't the best choice, really. It will work the same way, only the description and some of the icons/bams will change. Still, I'm waiting for a few ideas on the new name, etc.
Posted Image

#129 -Tengu-

-Tengu-

Posted 10 August 2004 - 12:55 AM

"Finger of destruction"

You asked for alternative.

I one comic book I saw a "monk" special attack, I don't remember the name, but it worked sort of "ultimate quivering palm" .The vibration caused by the hit not only shattered bones but "microwaved" the victim's guts, causing horrible damage. I think this description might explain all the nasty effects you have planned for this attack, plus it is fitting for an evil monk.

#130 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 05:49 AM

I also saw once in a kung-fu movie a monk able to affect someone's muscles with his hits. Quite ressembling with Finger of Destruction, if you ask me. ;)

#131 Schatten

Schatten

tomo the homo

• 1208 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 09:35 AM

diamond soul: gains all the res of aasimons. :D
gentoo sex is updatedb; locate; talk; date; cd; strip; look; touch; finger; unzip; uptime; gawk; head; emerge --oneshot condom; mount; fsck; gasp; more; yes; yes; yes; more; umount; emerge -C condom; make clean; sleep.

#132 Rathwellin the Bard

Rathwellin the Bard

Bloody engine of destruction ... oh, wait. That was my Sorcerer

• 722 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 09:59 AM

Diamond Soul - level drain immunity?

#133 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 12:25 AM

BTW, Diamond Soul : immunity to slay ?

Edited by Feanor, 11 August 2004 - 01:50 AM.

#134 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 12:33 AM

I also saw once in a kung-fu movie a monk able to affect someone's muscles with his hits. Quite ressembling with Finger of Destruction, if you ask me

Indeed. This ability keeps reducing the victims CON and Save vs. Death scores until it expires.

diamond soul: gains all the res of aasimons

Eh. :P

Diamond Soul - level drain immunity

No, too magical.

Diamond Soul : immunity to slay

Hmm, still not perfect.
To be honest, I'd like to add something similar to the 3rdE counterpart of Diamond Soul/Perfect Self. Could you comment this idea (after checking on those abilities in IWD2 for example)?
Posted Image

#135 BobTokyo

BobTokyo
  • 1235 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 01:58 AM

Just speaking as a long time fan of Wuxia films and Chinese martial arts, if you want something like Diamond Soul it might work as a souped up version of Hardiness, giving damage reduction or the same spell immunities as a Barbarian's Rage.

The closest I've ever seen n a martial arts film to this stuff would be the variations on Iron Shirt technique, where the practioner becomes highly resistant to all forms of damage until the shirt is "broken", usually by finding the practitioners one unproteted point.

You might be surprised at how much out and out magic is to be found in some Hong Kong martial arts films.

#136 Schatten

Schatten

tomo the homo

• 1208 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 05:05 AM

look at the description of the feat. the monk becomes an outer being. so, imo, its better the effects reflect that somehow.
as i said perhaps some of the resistances of aasimons and a few spell like abilities per day would fit.
gentoo sex is updatedb; locate; talk; date; cd; strip; look; touch; finger; unzip; uptime; gawk; head; emerge --oneshot condom; mount; fsck; gasp; more; yes; yes; yes; more; umount; emerge -C condom; make clean; sleep.

#137 BobTokyo

BobTokyo
  • 1235 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 06:43 AM

To be honest, I'd like to add something similar to the 3rdE counterpart of Diamond Soul/Perfect Self. Could you comment this idea (after checking on those abilities in IWD2 for example)?

From the SRD:

Diamond Soul (Ex): At 13th level, a monk gains spell resistance equal to her current monk level + 10. In order to affect the monk with a spell, a spellcaster must get a result on a caster level check (1d20 + caster level) that equals or exceeds the monk?s spell resistance.

Perfect Self: At 20th level, a monk becomes a magical creature. She is forevermore treated as an outsider rather than as a humanoid (or whatever the monk?s creature type was) for the purpose of spells and magical effects. Additionally, the monk gains damage reduction 10/magic, which allows her to ignore the first 10 points of damage from any attack made by a nonmagical weapon or by any natural attack made by a creature that doesn?t have similar damage reduction. Unlike other outsiders, the monk can still be brought back from the dead as if she were a member of her previous creature type.

So, make it a mix of Hardiness and Resist Magic?

Not sure how it's less magical than level drain immuity. ;)

#138 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 07:45 AM

I don't know if giving the monks more an ability with resist magic effect it's a good idea, because they already have magic resistance. <_<

#139 BobTokyo

BobTokyo
  • 1235 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 08:40 AM

I don't know if giving the monks more an ability with resist magic effect it's a good idea, because they already have magic resistance. <_<

Well, looking at those descriptions again, the only other ability that matches up with Perfect Self (as per TG's request) in BG2:TOB would be immunity to normal weapons. That's an ability that CHARNAME may already have in TOB, and at any rate it's almost completely worthless anyway, as nothing worth worrying about in TOB uses normal weapons.

#140 Littiz

Littiz
  • Modder
  • 1078 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 10:09 AM

Immunity to weapons might be a fine option... there are also monk NPCs after all.
We want stuff that fits, not stuff to powerplay, in principle.

Edited by Littiz, 11 August 2004 - 10:09 AM.

Ever forward, my darling wind...