Jan

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Rathwellin the Bard

Rathwellin the Bard

Bloody engine of destruction ... oh, wait. That was my Sorcerer

• 722 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 06:31 AM

Like my uncle Reid always said, ?You can tell a lot about a poster by how much he like Jan Jansen.? Well, in my case, I like Jan less than the Calimite Itch and a bit more than having a young child scream shrilly at the top of his lungs in my face. You can ignore the itch for a while which is more than can be said for the other two.

Anyway, my cousin Dave, always gets tired of meandering around, so let me get right to the point.

Too many bad turnips can spoil the whole batch.

What?

Oh, OK, I?ll elaborate.

It?s all about the Mirrored Clones. One Jan is bad enough, but three is just asking for more trouble than a pack of drunk monkeys. I know. I?ve seen a pack of drunk monkeys. They had eaten a whole load of fermented fruit and the resulting rampage nearly put my aunt Ina out of business for good!

In any case once Jan learned how to create Mirrored Clones the entire structure of civilization trembled. Now one invisible Jan can backstab, while another supports him with Burster Mates and spells, and a third gives poor Minsc a wedgie. It?s frightening. It?s calamitous. And worst of all it?s just plain too much for any honest turnip salesman to bear!

How can an honest Illusionist turned salesman compete with that unhinged multiclassed Thief? It?s just not possible I tell you! Upon learning this wizardry Jan has gone from being just bad to way way too bad!

Aiiiii! Here he comes now! Run for your lives!

#2 khay

khay

Swords to Rust, Hearts to Dust

• Modder
  • 1719 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 08:30 AM

I swear I haven`t really understood much, although I must admit that the post itself was very funny. :D :D :D

#3 Rathwellin the Bard

Rathwellin the Bard

• 722 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 08:36 AM

Heh. Thanks!

In plain english the Mirrored Clones HLA is *far* more powerful for Illusionist/Thieves than it is for single classed Illusionists since it lets the I/T have endless backstabs among other things.

#4 Caedwyr

Caedwyr

Wraith Editor

• 962 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 09:19 AM

I can't recall off hand, but is the Mirrored Clones immune to true seeing?
"Knowledge is Power. Power Corrupts. Study Hard. Be Evil." - Ferret

PnP Celestials
Geomantic Sorcerer Kit

#5 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 10:41 PM

It should be dispellable by TS, just as Simulacrums - if it's not, than this is a bug.
Posted Image

Refinements v2 has been released!
Go and visit the website or the forum for more info!

Member of The Silver Star team.

#6 Littiz

Littiz
  • Modder
  • 1078 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 10:56 PM

It should be dispellable by TS, just as Simulacrums - if it's not, than this is a bug.

Wrong starting point: Simulacra have NEVER been dispellable by True Sight.

Ever forward, my darling wind...

#7 Caedwyr

Caedwyr

Wraith Editor

• 962 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 11:12 PM

Dispelleable by dispel magic then. Most enemies I fight like to throw those around, so the simmys and images need to be careful where they stand if they expect to last very long.
"Knowledge is Power. Power Corrupts. Study Hard. Be Evil." - Ferret

PnP Celestials
Geomantic Sorcerer Kit

#8 Littiz

Littiz
  • Modder
  • 1078 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 11:28 PM

Images are dispellable, simmies are not.

#9 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 12:00 AM

Wrong starting point: Simulacra have NEVER been dispellable by True Sight

Are you sure? I remember otherwise, but I might be worng of course. That would mean however that Userunfriendly is wrong too in his (in)famous Cheese Guide:

Now i know images far better than simmys,  both have their weaknesses and strengths.. simmy cannot be dispelled by dispell magic, both can be true sighted, but having the image or simmy cast spell immunity divination will protect them...

Posted Image

#10 Caswallon

Caswallon

Telvanni Archmagister

• 284 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 01:00 AM

According to Xyx' Spells Reference:

Simulacrum
Another great clone spell. Not as powerful a spellcaster as Project Image, but you can act alongside your Simulacrum and it's not killed by True Sight or Dispel Magic.

Might have to try this out...
The only thing to dispose of a Simulacrum is a Death Spell, afaik.

#11 Littiz

Littiz
  • Modder
  • 1078 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 10:24 AM

Actually Xyx's note was based on my reports :D

And to say it all, I haven't ever seen a Death Spell removing a simmie, either.
At least, Beholder's Death Spell didn't, IIRC.

#12 Rathwellin the Bard

Rathwellin the Bard

• 722 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 10:28 AM

I *knew* that there was a reason that I like Simmies better than PIs.

#13 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 26 April 2004 - 01:30 PM

Simulacrum is a far superior spell to Project Image anyway, since (at least with Tactics installed) 70% of the enemies you fight can see invisible creatures (such as poor little you with the PI, invisible and immobile) and are generally smart enough to target you. PI makes you far too vulnerable to be useful. I thought, though, that Dispel Magic and True Sight both nuked Sims. I must have thought wrong. I suppose it's worth testing.

So... CLUA in a Simulacrum scroll, a True Sight scroll, and a Staff of the Magi...

I'll be back shortly.

#14 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 26 April 2004 - 01:41 PM

How about that? It is immune to Dispel Magic and True Sight. I didn't test death magic. I cast a Simulacrum from a scroll and had Kelsey (after maxing his level so his Thac0 was bearable) whack it a few times. I then had him use the True Sight scroll, kicked him out of the party, punched him, and let him smack us a few times with his staff while True Sight repeatedly triggered. The Simulacrum remained.

Woohoo! I thought TS and/or DM killed Sims, so I never used them in major fights (you know, since everything dangerous enough to use one against just happens to perform ReallyForceSpell'ed Remove Magics and so forth every few seconds). I'm that much more dangerous now because you fine folks mentioned they're immune to dispelling and true sight.

#15 Littiz

Littiz
  • Modder
  • 1078 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 11:08 PM

Amazing that nobody knew that...
(including myself before testing it for Xyx)

#16 Schatten

Schatten

tomo the homo

• 1208 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 05:25 AM

as long as the enemy dont use true sight you always can have simi and pi to attack with wizard eye. i often used it this way to conserve my spells.
what i dont understand is how the simi is immune to true sight? it uses the pi effect with level drain on it....
gentoo sex is updatedb; locate; talk; date; cd; strip; look; touch; finger; unzip; uptime; gawk; head; emerge --oneshot condom; mount; fsck; gasp; more; yes; yes; yes; more; umount; emerge -C condom; make clean; sleep.

#17 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 08:02 AM

what i dont understand is how the simi is immune to true sight? it uses the pi effect with level drain on it....

Not exactly. There are three types of Images according to various editors:
1.: normal images like the ones created by Mislead (only illusionary, cannot attack or cast spells)
2.: project images (cannot attack, but can cast 100% of the casters spells and abilities)
3.: simulacrums (can attack, cast spells/abilities, cannot be dispelled, but are "level drained")
These versions are hardcoded, they can only be modified via their scripts.
Posted Image

#18 Littiz

Littiz
  • Modder
  • 1078 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 09:04 AM

Actually I seem to remember there was an effect with some editable parameters...
hhmm, doesn't matter now :P

#19 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 10:46 PM

Actually I seem to remember there was an effect with some editable parameters...
hhmm, doesn't matter now

Actually it does! What effect is that? :o
Posted Image

#20 Caswallon

Caswallon

Telvanni Archmagister

• 284 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 12:25 AM

There is that effect 237.

#237 (0xed) Spell Effect: Puppet ID [237]
    Parameter #1: Undefined
    Parameter #2: ID Number
    Description:
    This effect seems to store information in a Projected Image/Simulacrum.

Some further observations by Knight:
"If Parameter 2 = 1, the target becomes invisible. This invisibility is not removed by aggressive actions of the target. There doesn't seem to be a duration, but it ends apparently randomly, after resting at the latest.
If Parameter 2 = 2, the symbol "Project Image" is applied to the target, and the target is rendered incapable. A hit removes the avatar of the target permanently from the game.
Other parameters appear to have no effect. Furthermore, the spell effect doesn't hit the selected target, but the target that is standing next to it. Apparently this effect is used for internal settings of effect 236."

That would probably require some more research to be useful.

Assumed that littiz meant that effect at all, that is. :D