Holy mother puss-bucket!

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Rathwellin the Bard

Rathwellin the Bard

Bloody engine of destruction ... oh, wait. That was my Sorcerer

• 722 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 07:21 PM

Well I see that Refinements changed the Pit Fiend.

I got silly tonight and thought that I would summon one to try out some Energy Storm testing.

Holy Mackerel!

In the readme I see Revised Celestials ... Revised Elemental Princes ... but no Revised Pit Fiends.

To be honest I?m not sure if it was just Refinements. This install also had Tactics Improved Demons component installed which I first thought might be the source of the changes, but the TG# in front of two of the Pit Fiend creature names kind of clued me in.

I?m still not sure if this behavior was just Refinements, Tactics, or an unholy fusion of the two but man-oh-man-oh-man.

First off the Pit Fiend goes Improved Invisible ... and True Seeing didn?t reveal him! WTF?

Then he takes 0 damage from the Energy Storm. Party Friendly I appreciate, but this was a bit of a surprise.

Finally I send Cernd in to fight while he is in Greater Werewolf Form.

It?s ugly.

Cernd?s GWW form is immune to the fireballs & claws that the fiend attacks 6 times per round with!!!!

However on the flip side Cernd only hits the fiend on a 20.

Then the gating starts. Cernd slowly whittles down the first fiend, who when injured just makes another one pop in. Sigh. This went on for quite some time before I got bored an hit ?ctrl+y?

Thinking on it I?m not really sure if any of these are ?bugs? but they sure were surprising.

The funniest thing was the virtue loss when the Pit Fiend killed Aerie?.

#2 Rathwellin the Bard

Rathwellin the Bard

• 722 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 07:27 PM

Oh, almost forgot to mention that your Pit Fiends have completely different resistances/stats/etc than the Tactics ones & install order wise Tactics was installed before Refinements.

#3 Jinnai

Jinnai

Bye Sanzo! You'll play with me again next time?

• 377 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 09:13 PM

I like that though...that is how a real fight should go, excpet, he shouldn't ness wait so long to gate in other fiends.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 11:51 PM

To be honest I?m not sure if it was just Refinements. This install also had Tactics Improved Demons component installed which I first thought might be the source of the changes, but the TG# in front of two of the Pit Fiend creature names kind of clued me in.

I only modified their attack items, some of their stats, but nothing more. Any other modification should be blamed(?) on Tactics.

Then he takes 0 damage from the Energy Storm. Party Friendly I appreciate, but this was a bit of a surprise.

I'm sure you are aware that ES isn't party friendly - or at least it shouldn't be :unsure: .

We (with the help of Caedwyr) intend to revise all demons in the game for a future version, somewhat similar to the Tactics modifications, but on a more believeable level. ;)
Posted Image

Refinements v2 has been released!
Go and visit the website or the forum for more info!

Member of The Silver Star team.

#5 Rathwellin the Bard

Rathwellin the Bard

• 722 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 04:13 AM

I only modified their attack items, some of their stats, but nothing more. Any other modification should be blamed(?) on Tactics.

I'm not suprised. Most likely your CRE I was facing with their script.

I'm sure you are aware that ES isn't party friendly - or at least it shouldn't be

Energy Storm has been party friendly in all my testing so far. When I saw this I thought that this was a change you made after discussion here ... though I don't ever recall you actually agreeing that ES should be party friendly.

Party members & summons do get blown around but never take any damage. If part of the damage is broken that may be why ES has done so little to my foes in testing.

The animation also seems to act differently depending on if foes are around or not. Looks different when launched from a Timestop too. I see a green cloudlike effect then, but generally not at other times.

We (with the help of Caedwyr) intend to revise all demons in the game for a future version

It would be good to add what has been done so far to the readme.

#6 Rathwellin the Bard

Rathwellin the Bard

• 722 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 04:16 AM

I like that though...that is how a real fight should go, excpet, he shouldn't ness wait so long to gate in other fiends.

The problem here is that Pit Fiend 'A' goes Improved Invisible as soon as he gets summoned. He is tagged as a 'summons' so that party friendly spells like True Sight don't work on him ... so whatever he decides to do first he is going to get done.

If that first thing is a summons then 'A' will summon 'B' who will summon 'C' and since it takes more than one round to kill these things you will be facing a neverending swarm before you know it.

With the current setup you at least have a shot at stopping the infinite spawning. If you manange to kill one quickly enough you break the chain.

#7 Schatten

Schatten

tomo the homo

• 1208 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 06:13 AM

The problem here is that Pit Fiend 'A' goes Improved Invisible as soon as he gets summoned. He is tagged as a 'summons' so that party friendly spells like True Sight don't work on him ... so whatever he decides to do first he is going to get done.

If that first thing is a summons then 'A' will summon 'B' who will summon 'C' and since it takes more than one round to kill these things you will be facing a neverending swarm before you know it.

With the current setup you at least have a shot at stopping the infinite spawning. If you manange to kill one quickly enough you break the chain.

whoa, i like that. cant wait for that fight. :lol: first i must replay bg1 with a druid shapeshifter.
gentoo sex is updatedb; locate; talk; date; cd; strip; look; touch; finger; unzip; uptime; gawk; head; emerge --oneshot condom; mount; fsck; gasp; more; yes; yes; yes; more; umount; emerge -C condom; make clean; sleep.

#8 Rathwellin the Bard

Rathwellin the Bard

• 722 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 08:41 AM

Yeah. I'm trying to get a Sorcerer through TuTu so that I can have a Unfinished Business + Refinements game.

#9 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 08:57 AM

Energy Storm has been party friendly in all my testing so far. When I saw this I thought that this was a change you made after discussion here ... though I don't ever recall you actually agreeing that ES should be party friendly.

Party members & summons do get blown around but never take any damage. If part of the damage is broken that may be why ES has done so little to my foes in testing.

The animation also seems to act differently depending on if foes are around or not. Looks different when launched from a Timestop too. I see a green cloudlike effect then, but generally not at other times.

Now these are odd - I shall once again take a look at the files, since ES seems to work perfect on my local build - but we shouldn't forget that you still use the original v1 ES while I have the v1.2. I hope to get a few more bugfixing done tomorrow, so Littiz can package v1.2, and Seifer can upload it to the site.
Posted Image

#10 Littiz

Littiz
  • Modder
  • 1078 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 11:39 AM

Don't forget that GWW immunity has been already heavily toned down.
It's just that the new build hasn't been released.

TGM, I also worked on some of the new Pit Fiends, but I thought they were only meant for Divine Intervention!! Did you change the regular ones as well?
If so, I've missed those files.

Ever forward, my darling wind...

#11 Rathwellin the Bard

Rathwellin the Bard

• 722 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 04:21 PM

Looks like it was all tactics.

The names in the CRE file listings threw me off. I did more detailed testing and the creature I summoned was the Tactics Pit Fiend.

#12 Userunfriendly

Userunfriendly

Replendent Beta Tester of Madness!!!

• 2175 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 04:26 PM

urm...exactly what kind of damage does energy storm do, anyway??? ^_^

and will spell immunity evocation protect party members??? :P like it protects a mage from a neighbor's sunfire??? ^_^
They call me....

Darth...

Darth Gizka...

#13 Rathwellin the Bard

Rathwellin the Bard

• 722 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 05:06 PM

Energy Storm
High level sorcerers have great magical potential focused in their bodies.
This terrible spell allows them to set loose these energies, which explode in a massive magical storm around the caster. This is a suicidal act and almost always results in the death of the sorcerer itself, so it should only be used in times of absolute peril.
The uncontrolled magical energy rages in a 40' radius area, damaging all who stand in its area of effect. After invoking it, the sorcerer has no control over the engulfing chaotic energies and will be stunned in the center of the magical storm. After devouring the caster's magical powers, the spell will eventually use up his life force, literally draining it from the sorcerer. The storm inflicts 4D10 magic, 1D10 electrical, 1D10 fire and 1D10 cold damage (no save) to any creature in its area of effect (be it friend or foe) every 3 seconds after casting. Everyone in the area of effect will suffer a 25% Spell Failure (no save) and will be slowed (save vs. spells at -4). Creatures that attempt to get close to the center of the storm will be blown back to a short distance. The sorcerer's remaining spells and magical protections will fuel the power of the storm, and will be lost. After a few seconds the raging energies will start to attack the life force of the caster, draining him of 2D10 +10 HP every 3 seconds. If the sorcerer somehow survives this magical onslaught, he will be left unconscious for 6 rounds, and will be fatigued thereafter.
Energy Storm lasts 15 seconds.

#14 Rathwellin the Bard

Rathwellin the Bard

• 722 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 05:30 PM

Now these are odd - I shall once again take a look at the files, since ES seems to work perfect on my local build - but we shouldn't forget that you still use the original v1 ES while I have the v1.2. I hope to get a few more bugfixing done tomorrow, so Littiz can package v1.2, and Seifer can upload it to the site.

Did a bit of *very* basic testing tonight.

Installed Refinements on a clean game with no other mods. Energy Storm behavior was unchanged. Party friendly. Green clouds only when foes present.

#15 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 02:05 AM

Installed Refinements on a clean game with no other mods. Energy Storm behavior was unchanged. Party friendly. Green clouds only when foes present.

Yes, I did some testing too. V1's ES is indeed buggy, but the new version you'll get in the 1.2 build will be cleared from these bugs. It won't be party friendly anymore, will be freed from strange buggy visuals like that green cloud (that should go to the Toxic Trap BH innate) will feature the Slow/Miscast/Wing Buffet effects correctly, and lastly, won't be that easy to cheese :D .

I'm already using this new version of this beauty, I only wait for Littiz to package the current bugfixes ;) .

and will spell immunity evocation protect party members???

No... ehe ehe... :rolleyes:
Posted Image

#16 Rathwellin the Bard

Rathwellin the Bard

• 722 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 06:02 AM

and lastly, won't be that easy to cheese :D .

Heh heh heh. I'll have to start a whole new cheese thread.

:lol: :P

#17 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 07:01 AM

Um, guys, could I suggest something?
How about looking at the OTHER HLAs, and look for bugs? Messing with Energy Storm is sure fun, but it would be nice if you'd at least try those other files at least ;) .

Once all those possible bugs have been tracked and killed, we might as well continue the "cheese-contest"... :D
Posted Image

#18 Rathwellin the Bard

Rathwellin the Bard

• 722 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 12:08 PM

TG is there anything in particular that needs looking at?

I was tentatively planning on creating a custom party tonight.

1. Sword Angel
2. Skald
3. Priest of Lathandar
4. Necromancer
5. Enchanter
6. Archer

#19 Littiz

Littiz
  • Modder
  • 1078 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 02:19 PM

I'm already using this new version of this beauty, I only wait for Littiz to package the current bugfixes

Wait for me to "package" the bugfixes? <_<

Ever forward, my darling wind...

#20 Caveman

Caveman
  • 835 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 07:28 PM

@Tactics' Pit Fiends- Those things are DIRTY! Good for 5 or so reloads. I just had the idea to try and see if the Banish HLA will take their minds off gating in any more of their friends. I thought it was kind of ironic that Baalors and such were easier to deal with than Pit Fiends (9000xp. ?)

How about looking at the OTHER HLAs, and look for bugs?

TG is there anything in particular that needs looking at?

I was wondering if a 'checklist' thread would be in order? People could post what elements they have checked out and such.