NPC corrections

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#41 LarryTheArcher

LarryTheArcher
  • 178 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 10:48 PM

maximize, you read my mind.
In fact, this component is already "finished", it only needs coding (which is one of the hardest parts though). Note however, that in this component it is very unlikely that we will change any stats - I only intend to correct possible oversights, or add a few missing abilities and some additional flavor to some NPCs. Here are the current changes:

Minsc:
- "removed" hair (like on Balthazar);
- altered the color of clothes to match the portrait;

Jaheira:
- changed her ugly "indian" skin color to a more fitting one, one that matches the color seen on her portrait;
- new colors on clothes to match the portrait;

Haer'Dalis:
- added the missing tiefling resistances to the SoA .cres (the ToB version has them);
- added the Globe of Darkness innate (once/day), with a new icon;

Viconia:
- added the missing drow innates Globe of Darkness and Fairy Fire. Both are useable once/day, and have their unique casting icons too.

Sarevok:
- removed hair;
- added an extra special effect to his .cre: until now he had a few% chance to either stun the opponent or deal a Deathbringer Assault, now he has some minor chance to knockback the target (no extra damage though) in addition to the exiting effects.
- boosted his XP somewhat (+100.000XP) to be a bit more in line with the party when he joins in ToB. This upgrade won't give him any HLA, he is still below the HLA limit. It only serves to make him less inferior to other NPCs.

View Post

Maybe you could deal with Sarevok, Kelsey style, like when he joins, match his xp with the Protagonist's.

Also in Viconia's Biography it says she's lost her abilities, but that doesn't have to stop you ;)
Irenicus: Now I have my revenge!

Protagonist: You talk to much...

Irenicus: (It came with the soul...)

#42 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 12:52 AM

both the rules and viconias ingame journal say that she looses her abilities

This is a good point. I think she might get them back in the Underdark then.
Posted Image

Refinements v2 has been released!
Go and visit the website or the forum for more info!

Member of The Silver Star team.

#43 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

The great pretender... of modding!

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 01:04 AM

Altering NPC's so that they more appear to their portrait seems a bit banal to be honest. Leave some room for poetic license.

I fail to see how a NPC that was given a bald head on their portrait by Bioware, that was also given a paperdoll with hair falls under poetic license.

- changed her ugly "indian" skin color to a more fitting one, one that matches the color seen on her portrait;
- new colors on clothes to match the portrait;

FINALLY someone is doing this. I have no issue with reddish skin, but she is almost lobster-ish.

Edited by MajorTomSawyer, 15 November 2004 - 01:13 AM.

- The transitioned former modder once known as MTS.

#44 LarryTheArcher

LarryTheArcher
  • 178 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 05:11 AM

View Post

Ok, now that makes sense.

#45 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 05:26 AM

I guess we should make it so that she gets them back after a fixed time while in the Underdark:
1-2 days for Fairy Fire;
2-4 days for Globe of Darkness.
Posted Image

#46 Schatten

Schatten

tomo the homo

• 1208 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 06:00 AM

View Post

does the environment there bring the powers? if no then i am against it. especially because it is mentioned she has lost them. <_<
gentoo sex is updatedb; locate; talk; date; cd; strip; look; touch; finger; unzip; uptime; gawk; head; emerge --oneshot condom; mount; fsck; gasp; more; yes; yes; yes; more; umount; emerge -C condom; make clean; sleep.

#47 LarryTheArcher

LarryTheArcher
  • 178 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 06:12 AM

View Post

does the environment there bring the powers? if no then i am against it. especially because it is mentioned she has lost them. <_<

View Post

Lost them because she's benn out of the Underdark for so long.

However, Drizzt has them after 50+ years of living on the surface, so my belief is they just didn't want to code Levitation, or they would feel the need too... so go ahead with it, because you ahve someone's support.

#48 CamDawg

CamDawg

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

• Modder
  • 1505 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 06:12 AM

Yes, the drow innates are gained due to the magical nature of the Underdark. That being said, they should not return in only a few days.

Why is this Hypnotoad video so popu... ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD.
____
The Gibberlings Three - Home of IE Mods

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.

#49 LarryTheArcher

LarryTheArcher
  • 178 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 06:14 AM

I think they should jsut be given back, because after thinking about it, it was design issue more than likely because (Not sure, but i think IWD drow have their abiliities) and Drizzt has his abilities, and other renegnade drow as well.

#50 Crokus

Crokus
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 06:14 AM

It is sayed that Drizzt too lost them... even though hes only missing the levitation. Are they even supposed to lose the others?

Spending a few days in the Underdark and getting them back is silly.

And what about the MR, why does she have it but not the other powers?
Im for giving her 'em all.

But exactly how would the globe of darkness work?

Edited by Crokus, 15 November 2004 - 06:15 AM.

#51 LarryTheArcher

LarryTheArcher
  • 178 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 06:16 AM

It is sayed that Drizzt too lost them... even though he only lost the levitation. Are they even supposed to lose the others?

View Post

Maybe its possible to color a Golbe of Invulnerability Black and use it as an effect, then cast it on someone giving them -3 to THAC0 and Saves. -5's on Improved Globe...

#52 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 06:28 AM

ALL of these abilities mentioned in this topic are already finished and working properly. :)
Globe of Darkness creates a globe of darkness (recolored Lower Magic Resistance visual) around the target creature, effectively blinding it for 30(?) seconds if a save vs. spells is failed. MR affects this ability, and the globe can be dispelled.

It is sayed that Drizzt too lost them... even though hes only missing the levitation. Are they even supposed to lose the others?

Yes, considerable thoughts.
Posted Image

#53 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 15 November 2004 - 09:34 AM

It doesn't make sense to me, that if someone is bald in their portrait that they have white hair. (Minsc) And if someone has one color clothing on their portrait, why would they have different one on their paper doll/avatar? With my current (and first) NPC I'm making, I'm going to try to get his colors as close as possible to the portrait. Makes for better roleplaying, I think.

Portrait is a static thing; NPC's appearance is dynamic. You can change clothes colour for every NPC via the game's interface. They (hopefully) do not spend their lifetime in the same robes or tunics or maintain the same hairstyle... So who says that Minsc could not have let his hair grow out? Aerie change her dress? etc.

#54 Littiz

Littiz
  • Modder
  • 1078 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 01:23 PM

It'd make sense to change them as starting points, though.

Also, I consider Sarevok's and Minsc's hairstyle pretty stable, it's part of the characters.
I'm not sure we should make those changes about Viconia, though.

Ever forward, my darling wind...

#55 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 02:21 PM

The main point about Viconia is weather she lose her drow innates because all drow lose those once they leave the Underdark (and this brings up lots of inconsistency), or were they simply removed because of technical issues (as discussed before, about Levitation). If its the second, then I say they should be added.
Posted Image

#56 Stone Wolf

Stone Wolf
  • 1672 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 02:45 PM

I found the rules in the Complete Book of Elves:

If the drow spends more than two weeks away from the subterranean caverns of the Underdark, the special advantages fade at the rate of one power a day.  This starts from the most innate (?) spellcasting and works down to the least powerful....Drow magic resistance is lost at a rate of 10% per day.  This process can be halted and the powers regained if the drow returns to the Underdark and spends one day there for each week spent aboveground.

So by the rules Viconia should have lost her MR as well. It's also unlikely she'd regain her powers, since she has been aboveground for a while now and it's unlikely that she'd spend enough time in the Underdark to get it all back.

Edited by Stone Wolf, 15 November 2004 - 02:48 PM.

#57 LarryTheArcher

LarryTheArcher
  • 178 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 03:20 PM

I found the rules in the Complete Book of Elves:

If the drow spends more than two weeks away from the subterranean caverns of the Underdark, the special advantages fade at the rate of one power a day.  This starts from the most innate (?) spellcasting and works down to the least powerful....Drow magic resistance is lost at a rate of 10% per day.  This process can be halted and the powers regained if the drow returns to the Underdark and spends one day there for each week spent aboveground.

So by the rules Viconia should have lost her MR as well. It's also unlikely she'd regain her powers, since she has been aboveground for a while now and it's unlikely that she'd spend enough time in the Underdark to get it all back.

View Post

Hmm, thanks for the informationI was getting really confused.

Ok, so if she techincally cannot gain her abilties back, maybe adding a small mini-quest, or ancounter that gives them back.

#58 Stone Wolf

Stone Wolf
  • 1672 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 04:38 PM

Well, the only thing that would give them back is staying in the Underdark long enough. She'd still lose them again after leaving.

#59 LarryTheArcher

LarryTheArcher
  • 178 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 08:59 PM

come up with something. It doesnt have to be to the letter of the book...

#60 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 16 November 2004 - 02:18 AM

come up with something.  It doesnt have to be to the letter of the book...

View Post

exactly why do you want them back? and what about loosing them after leaving? make them permanent? no way.