Overused Ideas in BG-series

• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

#141 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 20 October 2005 - 09:10 AM

In BG1 I think we have a levity, because these themes were not used *yet* and need be covered to majke the network of the character quirks. We actually discussed it before starting to write BG1NPC, and the agreement was that the writer will try to

a) provide suggestions for the 'non-obvious topics'
B) him/herself will write on non-obvious topics, letting others explore the obvious ones

I admit that with some NPCs it turned out better than with the others.

#142 jcompton

jcompton
  • Modder
  • 492 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 11:48 AM

"Ah, my hound, this city be the great world of commerce.  Perhaps we can sell Jaheira?" are the ones that I will not forget easily.

"Perhaps we can sell Jaheira?" is, in fact, one of the game's all-time lines. And it's a good indicator of the difference between telling a story vignette and simply hammering on those obvious quirks.

After all, that exchange boils down to "HD and Jaheira do not get along because he is arty and favors Chaos while she is earthy and favors Balance," but it's much, much more entertaining and valuable than some ham-handed attempt to get them to talk about balance and chaos and artiness and earthiness.

#143 Delight

Delight
  • 660 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 02:37 PM

I think that making mods that are part of BG1/BG2 story is an overused idea.

#144 Theodur

Theodur

Proud Founder of EATCO

• 182 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 11:40 AM

In that case, I'd say that making BG-based mods as such is an overused idea.

#145 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 23 October 2005 - 09:09 AM

Too true. :)

Edited by Ashara, 23 October 2005 - 09:09 AM.

#146 Delight

Delight
  • 660 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 10:25 AM

I think that we need more TCs.

#147 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 10:28 AM

I think that we need more TCs.

Now, *that* is an overused idea. :)

#148 Delight

Delight
  • 660 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 11:42 AM

TCs don't require from player to play the same game thousand times.

Edited by Delight, 23 October 2005 - 11:42 AM.

#149 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 24 October 2005 - 06:39 AM

Yet, I have not noticed people playing the existing TC's too much. The size is huge, the quality of writing suffers due to the size.... (Shrug)

#150 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 07:29 AM

For me, the reason is simple: Baldur's Gate was written by professional writers, and had heaps of quality dialogue. TC is a fan-made product written from scratch, i.e. unknown quantity. A mod for BG1 or BG2 draws more attention from me because, well, you cannot screw Imoen or Edwin completely, can you? But a TC? I do not know.

#151 Delight

Delight
  • 660 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 07:55 AM

I think that TC's are usually too big.
Small TC may be more enjoyable than a big one or a BG-enhancing mod.

#152 SimDing0

SimDing0

GROUP ICON

• 1654 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 07:57 AM

For me, the reason is simple: Baldur's Gate was written by professional writers, and had heaps of quality dialogue.

Yes, it definitely takes the skill of a professional writer to bring us dialogue of the calibre of Bondari and the Chinchilla.
Repeating cycle of pubes / no pubes.

A Comprehensive Listing of IE Mods

#153 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:03 AM

(groan) Not THAT professional! No, Bondari, Cespenar and Spectator are firmly on top of my "make a working mod which takes them out of the game, and I'll be forever grateful" list. With Chinchilla, I was more lucky: I never bothered to explore the area, until one unhappy day...

But well, even professional writers have a sense of humour (for want of a more expressive word), don't they?

#154 SimDing0

SimDing0

GROUP ICON

• 1654 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:45 AM

Of course, what you really mean is that, yes, professional writers can produce stuff every bit as terrible as the worst rushed mod.
Repeating cycle of pubes / no pubes.

A Comprehensive Listing of IE Mods

#155 Theodur

Theodur

Proud Founder of EATCO

• 182 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:55 AM

But well, even professional writers have a sense of humour (for want of a more expressive word), don't they?

View Post

And we know that humour has no place in games such as BG and its mods, yes?

#156 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 09:54 AM

Of course, what you really mean is that, yes, professional writers can produce stuff every bit as terrible as the worst rushed mod.

Exactly.

Unfortunately, as it is much easier to produce horrible stuff than the opposite, a TC conversion is more likely to end up with the quality far lower than the desired level than with that of the professional team.

#157 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 24 October 2005 - 10:37 AM

Try to define a professional team - if you mean people who are payed for their literary output, then... you see, Salvatore is a professional writer. So, I'd say a 'talented', 'seeing eye-to-eye', 'well-coordinated' team rather than a 'professional'. It needs to be united by some sort of a purpose and have an easy cooperation-and-replacement mechanism. (Shrug) TC is too much for one person to handle.

#158 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 10:42 AM

Try to define a professional team - if you mean people who are payed for their literary output, then... you see, Salvatore is a professional writer. 

I think Bioware's level is a pretty good starting point.

#159 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 24 October 2005 - 11:17 AM

Well, I dunno, what is BioWARE's level? BG1, imo opinion is much stronger game writing-wise than the BG2, which everyone adore so much. I remeber browsing B-files for BG2 when working on the interjections, and thinking: aren't we overestimating BioWARE's quality? In particular, I think those were some of Keldorn and Minsc/ Cernd and Aerie/ Jaheira and Aerie banters that made me think that... but there were more.

I also caught myself only yesterday while testing, that I read mod conetnt but skip BioWARE's when I play. Are you? Or are you re-reading these same dialogues again and again?

In BG1, everything was so lovingly done, with so much attention to details, such as NPCs with their own dialogues and names that were a part of the world, but had nothing to do with the main quest... In BG2, that feels more driven, more 'professional' to me, that was imo lost.

But don't mind my ramblings. Maybe I just can't appreciate BG2 because I don't like the main plot (and what's there apart from the main plot?).

Edited by Ashara, 24 October 2005 - 11:24 AM.

#160 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 11:34 AM

Yes, I appreciate BG1 somewhat more, too, though it had some not-exactly-perfect moments, as well as BG2. (Larry, Deryl and Deryl come to mind.) But in BG2, the writers had more leeway with the characters, while in BG1, they invested into the setting. Perhaps we prefer to have the ready setting and to let our imaginations run wild with the characters? But that is off topic already.

Anyways, in answer to your question: an NPC with BG2 level of development(Viconia, Valygar) in BG1 setting(freedom, mystery, realism) would be a nice example of Bioware quality for me.

Here's a non-overused idea, though: bringing BG2 a NPC into BG1. It would not work without modifying both games' dialogue, but it could work, I suppose.