Assassin kit revision - [IMPLEMENTED]

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 01:30 AM

Due to popular demand, I've decided to make a more thorough revision of the Assassin kit for RR v4.3. Here's a small preview:

ASSASSIN: This is a killer specialized in discreet and efficient murder, relying on anonymity and surprise to perform his task. Training in anatomy, stealth and poison use allows an Assassin to carry out missions of death with terrifying precision. A clever Assassin might never be seen by his victim.

Advantages:
- May use Poison Weapon once per day at 1st level and every 4 levels thereafter
- Acquires Poison Expertise at 8th level. This ability further improves every 8 levels thereafter
- May use Death Attack once per day at 16th level and every 8 levels thereafter
- Backstab reaches x7 instead of x5

Disadvantages:
- Only 15% per level to distribute on abilities
- Must be of evil or neutral alignment

Poison Weapon:
Due to the requirements of his profession, an Assassin becomes adapt at coating his weapons in poison early during his career. Any weapon prepared in this manner will deal an extra 1d3 points of poison damage upon contact. Furthermore, unless a saving throw vs. poison is made, the poison will be injected into the bloodstream of the victim dealing one additional point of damage per each level of the Assassin (up to a maximum of 20). The poison coating evaporates after 5 rounds. Constructs, Elementals, Slimes and Undead creatures cannot be poisoned.

Poison Expertise
Through training and experience, an Assassin gradually learns to utilize poison more effectively. Furthermore, due to the constant exposure to poison an Assassin slowly becomes desensitized towards it. Each time this ability is acquired, the Assassin gains a permanent +1 bonus to his saving throws vs. poison. At the same time, the saving throw difficulty class of his Poison Weapon ability improves by 1.

Death Attack:
By thoroughly studying the weak spots of his victim, an Assassin can focus all of his cunning and prowess into a single, deadly strike. The next attack he makes automatically becomes a critical hit and his victim must make a saving throw vs. death or die instantly. As the Assassin gains more experience, the lethality of the Death Attack increases. The victim saves with a -1 penalty at level 24, a -2 penalty at level 32 and a -3 penalty at level 40. Constructs, Elementals, Slimes and Undead creatures cannot be slain by a Death Attack.

Note: the provided description is a work in progress and is therefore subject to change.

Edited by aVENGER, 28 September 2009 - 09:29 AM.

#2 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 01:30 AM

A few additional notes:

Poison Weapon

The Poison Weapon ability has been altered in order to scale more appropriately with the level of the Assassin. As many people have noticed, this ability was far too powerful at lower levels (i.e. in BGT/Tutu games) in the unmodded game, and remained nearly lethal for spellcasting opponents even at the mid/high level range due to the unavoidable portion of the continual poison damage. The revised version from RR should be a bit more balanced in this regard as the amount of continual damage is now dependant on the Assassin's level and a saving throw vs. poison allows the target to avoid it. However, a small amount of instantaneous poison damage is still dealt on each hit, even if the target's saving throw is successful.

Poison Expertise

The Assassin's one-time bonus to hit and damage has been replaced with something more appropriate. Poison Expertise is a passive ability loosely based on the D&D 3.5 source material which reflects the Assassin's increased familiarity with poisons as he gains more experience. Obviously, it makes sense for someone who constantly deals with poison to eventually develop a natural resistance towards it. Furthermore, the gradually increasing saving throw penalty of Poison Weapon ensures the continued effectiveness of that ability at higher levels.

Death Attack

Another ability based on the D&D 3.5 source material is introduced. Assassins can now use Death Attack from level 16 onward, albeit in a slightly modified form. Due to engine limitations, I had to make this ability work a bit differently from its PnP counterpart, but I think it still has enough merit to make it worthwhile. Although the potential to instantly slay the target is the primary benefit, I think the ensured critical hit might be the actual highlight here. Due to the Assassin's increased backstab multiplier, a Death Attack combined with a backstab would nearly always guarantee a dead target. Hence the scarce availability. Furthermore, once the ability is activated, the Assassin has one round to execute the Death Attack. However, only the first hit that the Assassin makes during that round actually counts as a Death Attack, even if he can make more than one attack per round. Once the first attack connects, the ability is automatically deactivated in case it hadn't naturally expired yet. If anyone's interested in the technical details, this is accomplished by using a custom secondary type, a shell spell and targeting mode 9: original caster. Although it may sound complicated, the end result works seamlesly in-game.

#3 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 01:32 AM

And lastly, a screenshot of Death Attack in action:

Posted Image

#4 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 02:41 AM

Sounds nice. :new_thumbs:

Is it possible to differentiate the saving throw bonus so that it only applies to poison attacks or does the bonus translate as a generic +1 ST against Paralyzation/Poison/Death?

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg

#5 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 03:05 AM

Sounds nice. :new_thumbs:

Thanks.

Is it possible to differentiate the saving throw bonus so that it only applies to poison attacks or does the bonus translate as a generic +1 ST against Paralyzation/Poison/Death?

The latter. I don't think separating saving throws by subtype is possible in the BG2 version of the IE.

#6 Demivrgvs

Demivrgvs
  • 143 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 09:36 AM

Cool, you're making my own revised Assassin kit for Kit Revisions almost pointless as I was going to do more or less the same (scalable Poison Weapon ability and additional bonus to save vs poison/death).

The only other thing I was going to suggest for KR is to replace the generic +1 to hit/dmg with "can specialize (++) in daggers and darts".

If you ask me, I wouldn't use such a noticeable animation for Death Attack, as it kinda breaks the stealth concept.

P.S Very nice use of the Secondary Type! I and Ardanis were going to use it a lot within SR V4, and it indeed seems to offer much more possibilities than I originally thought.

#7 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 09:53 AM

Cool, you're making my own revised Assassin kit for Kit Revisions almost pointless as I was going to do more or less the same (scalable Poison Weapon ability and additional bonus to save vs poison/death).

Feel free to use it for KR if you like. :) Rogue Rebalancing is published under a fairly open license and, as long as people adhere to its terms (attribution, non-commercial, share-alike), they are free to incorporate (and further adapt) any material from RR into their own mods.

I'd just advise to remove the RR# prefix from the file names and script variables in order to avoid conflicts. Also, it might be a good idea to incorporate some compatibility checks in order to prevent similar components from RR and KR from being installed at the same time.

If you ask me, I wouldn't use such a noticeable animation for Death Attack, as it kinda breaks the stealth concept.

Heh, it's merely there for decorative purposes. Considering how Whirlwind and similar HLAs make your character glow, I don't think it's all that bad. ;)

P.S Very nice use of the Secondary Type! I and Ardanis were going to use it a lot within SR V4, and it indeed seems to offer much more possibilities than I originally thought.

Yeah, it can really make an amazing difference. If you're interested, here's a the relevant code snipped:

COPY_EXISTING ~msectype.2da~ ~override~ // add a new secondary type to remove Death Attack after the first successful hit
  COUNT_2DA_ROWS 2 "rows"
  INSERT_2DA_ROW "%rows%" 2 ~RR#DEATA RR#DEATH_ATTACK~ // assign secondary type and accompanying string
  REPLACE ~RR#DEATH_ATTACK~ @37 // Death Attack removal feedback string
  SET "sectype" = ("%rows%" - 2)
BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

COPY	~RR/RR_CORE/SPELLS/RR#TAS01.SPL~   ~override~ // Assassin Death Attack innate ability (coat weapons shell)
  SAY NAME1 @36 SAY NAME2 @36 // Death Attack
  WRITE_BYTE 0x27 (%sectype% + 1)
BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

#8 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 10:14 AM

Whoops, I almost forgot the piece of code which assigns the new secondary type to the shell spell:

COPY	~RR/RR_CORE/SPELLS/RR#TAS1B.SPL~   ~override~			   // Death Attack second part (the actual ability)
  READ_LONG  0x64 "abil_off"
  READ_SHORT 0x68 "abil_num"
  READ_LONG  0x6a "fx_off"
  FOR (index = 0; index < abil_num; index = index + 1 ) BEGIN	 // cycle through abilities
	READ_SHORT  ("%abil_off%" + 0x1e + (0x28 * "%index%")) "abil_fx_num"
	READ_SHORT  ("%abil_off%" + 0x20 + (0x28 * "%index%")) "abil_fx_idx"
	FOR (index2 = 0; index2 < abil_fx_num; index2 = index2 + 1) BEGIN
	  READ_SHORT ("%fx_off%" +		(0x30 * ("%index2%" + "%abil_fx_idx%"))) "opcode"
	  READ_LONG  ("%fx_off%" + 0x04 + (0x30 * ("%index2%" + "%abil_fx_idx%"))) "param1"
	   PATCH_IF ("%opcode%" = 221) BEGIN							// effect #221: remove secondary type
		WRITE_LONG  ("%fx_off%" + 0x08 + (0x30 * ("%index2%" + "%abil_fx_idx%"))) (%sectype% + 1)  // set the designated secondary type
	   END
	END
  END
BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

So, basically, using a custom secondary type and targeting mode 9 allows the shell spell to deactivate the main ability after the attack connects. Heh, I've even managed to make some use of the mandatory text display by turning it into a feedback string - "Attempts a Death Attack" (see the combat log in the screenshot).

#9 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 01:29 AM

A small update: the "Chosen of Cyric" and "Shadow Thief Improvements" components will take note of the "Thief kit revisions" component from v4.3 onward.

In summary, Venduris and any Shadow Thief opponents with the Assassin kit will receive the revised Assassin traits (Poison Weapon, Poison Expertise and Death Attack) if they meet the necessary level requirements. Beware! :ph34r:

COPY	~RR/RR_CYRIC/ACTORS/RR#VEND.CRE~			 ~override~  // Venduris
  SAY NAME1 @304 SAY NAME2 @304
PATCH_IF FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~RR#TAS00.SPL~ THEN BEGIN		   // check for the Thief kit revisions component
  SET opcode_to_delete = "278"								   // mark opcode #278 (To Hit Modifier) for deletion
  LAUNCH_PATCH_MACRO ~DELETE_CRE_EFFECT~						 // delete the designated opcode
  SET opcode_to_delete = "73"									// mark opcode #73 (Extra Damage Modifier) for deletion
  LAUNCH_PATCH_MACRO ~DELETE_CRE_EFFECT~						 // delete the designated opcode
  ADD_MEMORIZED_SPELL ~RR#TAS01~ #0 ~innate~					 // adds 1x Death Attack
  SET opcode = "33"											  // effect: #33 (Save vs. Death Modifier)
  SET target = "1"											   // target: 1 (self)
  SET timing = "9"											   // timing mode: 9 (permanent after death)
  SET parameter1 = "1"										   // param1: 1
  SET parameter2 = "0"										   // param2: 0
  SET parameter3 = "0"										   // param3: 0
  SET parameter4 = "0"										   // param4: 0
  SET power = "0"												// power: 0
  SET resist_dispel = "0"										// dispel/resistance: 0 (non-magical)
  SET duration = "0"											 // duration: 0
  SET probability1 = "100"									   // probability1: 100%
  SET probability2 = "0"										 // probability2: 0%
  SET dicenumber = "0"										   // dicenumber: 0
  SET dicesize = "0"											 // dicesize: 0
  SET savingthrow = "0"										  // saving throw type: 0 (none)
  SET savebonus = "0"											// save bonus: 0
  SET school = "0"											   // school: 0 (schoolless)
  SET lowestafflvl = "0"										 // lowest level affected: 0
  SET highestafflvl = "0"										// highest level affected: 0
  SET casterx = "0"											  // casterx: 0
  SET castery = "0"											  // castery: 0
  SET targetx = "0"											  // targetx: 0
  SET targety = "0"											  // targety: 0
  SET casterlvl  = "8"										   // caster level: 8
  SET sectype = "0"											  // secondary type: 0
  SPRINT ~resource~ ~~										   // resref: none
  SPRINT ~resource2~ ~~										  // resref2: none
  SPRINT ~resource3~ ~~										  // resref3: none
  SPRINT ~vvcresource~ ~~										// vvcresref: none
  SPRINT ~effsource~ ~RR#TAS00~								  // effsource: RR#TAS00.SPL (Poison Expertise)
  SPRINT ~effvar~ ~~											 // effvar: none
  LAUNCH_PATCH_MACRO ~ADD_CRE_EFFECT~							// add new creature effect
  SET opcode = "33"											  // effect: #33 (Save vs. Death Modifier)
  SET target = "1"											   // target: 1 (self)
  SET timing = "9"											   // timing mode: 9 (permanent after death)
  SET parameter1 = "1"										   // param1: 1
  SET parameter2 = "0"										   // param2: 0
  SET parameter3 = "0"										   // param3: 0
  SET parameter4 = "0"										   // param4: 0
  SET power = "0"												// power: 0
  SET resist_dispel = "0"										// dispel/resistance: 0 (non-magical)
  SET duration = "0"											 // duration: 0
  SET probability1 = "100"									   // probability1: 100%
  SET probability2 = "0"										 // probability2: 0%
  SET dicenumber = "0"										   // dicenumber: 0
  SET dicesize = "0"											 // dicesize: 0
  SET savingthrow = "0"										  // saving throw type: 0 (none)
  SET savebonus = "0"											// save bonus: 0
  SET school = "0"											   // school: 0 (schoolless)
  SET lowestafflvl = "0"										 // lowest level affected: 0
  SET highestafflvl = "0"										// highest level affected: 0
  SET casterx = "0"											  // casterx: 0
  SET castery = "0"											  // castery: 0
  SET targetx = "0"											  // targetx: 0
  SET targety = "0"											  // targety: 0
  SET casterlvl  = "16"										  // caster level: 16
  SET sectype = "0"											  // secondary type: 0
  SPRINT ~resource~ ~~										   // resref: none
  SPRINT ~resource2~ ~~										  // resref2: none
  SPRINT ~resource3~ ~~										  // resref3: none
  SPRINT ~vvcresource~ ~~										// vvcresref: none
  SPRINT ~effsource~ ~RR#TAS00~								  // effsource: RR#TAS00.SPL (Poison Expertise)
  SPRINT ~effvar~ ~~											 // effvar: none
  LAUNCH_PATCH_MACRO ~ADD_CRE_EFFECT~							// add new creature effect
END

Edited by aVENGER, 19 September 2009 - 02:03 AM.

#10 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 06:15 AM

In summary, Venduris and any Shadow Thief opponents with the Assassin kit will receive the revised Assassin traits (Poison Weapon, Poison Expertise and Death Attack) if they meet the necessary level requirements. Beware!

Uh-oh, and here I was, thinking he was the most painful bastard ever...

Retired from modding.

#11 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 06:41 AM

Uh-oh, and here I was, thinking he was the most painful bastard ever...

Heh, for what it's worth, Venduris only gets one Death Attack per day and will only use it on the "Core Rules" difficulty setting and higher. ;)

BTW, none of the Shadow Thief opponents are of high enough level to get Death Attack. They do benefit from Poison Expertise and the revised Poison Weapon though.

#12 SirLancelot

SirLancelot
  • 356 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 01:19 PM

Fantastic work, aV, and congratulations for the new releases. :)

I really like the new Assassin, now it makes sense for the BG1 part of the game.
Where men gather, a bustle of chaos ensues. I would save them all, if I could.

#13 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 09:53 PM

Thanks! :)

If all goes well, the next release should be out in a couple of weeks. I'm currently doing some final tests with the Assassin and applying a few minor tweaks to the Bounty Hunter and the Jester kits.

#14 -darthdave-

-darthdave-

Posted 23 September 2009 - 06:54 AM

I'm glad that the assassin change is implemented. The death attack will hopefully balance things out in terms of the kensai/thief; mostly because now he will be a force to be reckoned and maybe even on par with the dual classes that make the assassin almost obsolete.

You said that you are making some minor tweaks with the bounty hunter. I only hope that you don't get rid of the paralytic toxin, because that is the class that I am going to try next!

#15 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 07:11 AM

You said that you are making some minor tweaks with the bounty hunter. I only hope that you don't get rid of the paralytic toxin, because that is the class that I am going to try next!

Nope, but I am reducing its availability a bit. Basically, in order to further emphasize the Bounty Hunter's skill at using alchemical substances for incapacitating his opponents, several abilities have been slightly redesigned. For starters, "Special Snares" are now called "Alchemical Traps" though their effects remain largely the same as they were already alchemy-based in the past releases. Next, the Paralytic Toxin ability is now acquired once per 10 levels and its weapon coating effect now only lasts a single round. However, the victim's paralysis now lasts for 1 round per every 10 levels of the Bounty Hunter, up to a maximum of 5 rounds at level 40. Finally, a special "Alchemical Expertise" passive ability which improves the saving throw difficulty class of both the Bounty Hunter's Paralytic Toxin and his Alchemical Traps once per 10 levels has been added. Here's the updated kit description:

BOUNTY HUNTER:
This is a hunter of men, skilled in tracking and capturing quarry, whether for lawful authorities or underworld masters. Due to the frequent need to bring his prey back alive, a Bounty Hunter often relies on alchemical substances that can incapacitate or weaken his victims. A Bounty Hunter's trap making abilities are also well beyond those of the average thief.

Advantages:
- Gains a +15% bonus to the Set Traps skill at 1st level
- May use Paralytic Toxin once per day at 1st level and every 10 levels thereafter
- Can lay Alchemical Traps in addition to regular snares
- Acquires Alchemical Expertise at 10th level. This ability further improves every 10 levels thereafter
- Can acquire the Tracking ability at higher levels

Disadvantages:
- Gets only 20% to distribute between thief abilities at each level

Paralytic Toxin:
The Bounty Hunter's intricate understanding of alchemy and herbalism allows him to create a substance that causes severe loss of muscle function when injected into the bloodstream. This paralytic toxin is a transparent, odorless liquid which can be easily applied to weapons without fear of detection. A hit from any weapon coated in this substance causes the target to make a saving throw vs. paralyzation or become paralyzed for one round per every ten levels of the Bounty Hunter. However, the toxin evaporates quickly when exposed to air making the coating last only a single round. Constructs, Elementals, Slimes and Undead creatures are unaffected by the Paralytic Toxin.

Alchemical Traps:
Combining his superior trap setting skills with alchemical knowledge, a Bounty Hunter can create traps that are primarily designed for incapacitating his opponents, rather than killing them outright. The effects of the traps vary according to the Bounty Hunter's level, but always last for five rounds and can be negated by a successful saving throw vs. breath:

1st: trap deals 2d4 points of subdual damage and dazzles the target
6th: trap deals 4d4 points of subdual damage and slows the target
11th: trap deals 6d4 points of subdual damage and entangles the target
16th: trap deals 8d4 points of subdual damage and blinds the target
21st: trap deals 10d4 points of subdual damage and renders the target unconscious

Note: subdual damage is non-lethal and will render the target unconscious if its hit points drop below 0 instead of killing it. Constructs, Elementals, Slimes and Undead creatures are immune to subdual damage.

Alchemical Expertise
Through training and experience, a Bounty Hunter gradually learns to utilize alchemical substances more effectively. Each time this ability is acquired, the saving throw difficulty class of the Bounty Hunter's Paralytic Toxin and Alchemical Traps improves by 1.

Bonus feature: due to his advanced alchemical knowledge, a Bounty Hunter using the Alchemy HLA can now create up to three potions in one setting, if he wants to. These potions don't all have to be of the same type and the appropriate resource cost for each potion still needs to be covered in full.

Edited by aVENGER, 28 September 2009 - 09:28 AM.

#16 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 11:43 AM

I'm not sure that 10d6 of raw physical damage fits the alchemy concept. And if anything, that amount serves exactly the purpose of 'killing them outright'.

Btw, the 'alchemical trap' does sound weird to my hearing, though it could be just my hearing.

Retired from modding.

#17 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 09:46 PM

I'm not sure that 10d6 of raw physical damage fits the alchemy concept. And if anything, that amount serves exactly the purpose of 'killing them outright'.

That's subdual (non-lethal) damage actually, so it can't kill a target on its own. When reduced below 1 hp, the victim will be rendered unconscious instead (as with fist damage). Also, non-living creatures such as constructs and undead are unaffected by it. Perhaps I should make that clearer in the kit's description, rather than leaving such minute details solely for the readme.

Btw, the 'alchemical trap' does sound weird to my hearing, though it could be just my hearing.

It's a PnP term. Granted, it does sound a bit odd, but it also describes the concept accurately.

#18 melkor_morgoth75

melkor_morgoth75

Lord

• Modder
  • 1509 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 07:03 AM

Quick one: is the assassin kit a separate component within the install? Unfortunately i still can't play RR (it has to be a must) so eventually i'd like just to install the kit :P

thanks,

mm75

Tired of the same boring spawned creatures u face in BG? Try BGSpawn

#19 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 08:24 AM

Quick one: is the assassin kit a separate component within the install?

It's a part of the "Thief kit revisions" component.

Check the readme for more details.

#20 -Stu-

-Stu-

Posted 05 October 2009 - 12:54 AM

Hey aVenger, it would be easy for you to specify the extra 1d3 damage as poison damage in the feedback string? What do you think of it?