Photo

Progress Log

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 mildImp

mildImp
  • 242 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 08:06 PM

Whats the deal with DSAXE04 (Skull Spliter)? Is it supposed to do damage to the character that equips it? Everytime I equip it or quick switch to it it does damage to the person using it.

Also, I am currently working on the Citadel quest and, man I am totally confused. I got the shadow elf...what his name...and grabbed the mace from otho. Elminister enchanted it and now according to the walkthrough, Im supposed to go to the temple east of The Friendly Arm. Where is this exactly? As far as I can tell, east of the Inn is Peldvale. Also, the walkthrough indicated that after I talked to the shadow elf, I should see the Citadel on my map...but, Im just not seeing it.

Edited by mildImp, 08 November 2004 - 11:10 PM.

#22 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 12:26 PM

The Temple is the Temple of Lathander, which is East of town (the guy is a priest of Lathander after all).

If you didn't start a new game, you won't see the new map area. Go to the area with the Forest Dragon. Walk past the dragon's area, SE to a passage between the clifts. It should allow you to move to the new area. If not (and I don't know if that would also be a worldmap issue), just MoveToArea("DSC010").

Several of the scripts assigned to the new items seemed to cause damage to what ever touched the item instead of just when it was used to hit something. The mace you need to get blessed had the same problem. I will have to fix this axe also.

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website

#23 mildImp

mildImp
  • 242 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 08:11 AM

Its true I didnt start a new game. However, I did copy over the new worldmap and then updated it with the areas I had already visited. DSC001, 002 and 004 showed up as expected. Im not sure why this area wouldnt also show up. What event actually triggers the area flag update?

#24 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 12:48 PM

The conversation with Cuchoinneach. There are two dialog paths and both should reveal area DSC010. I didn't change his dialog other than the area's filename, so I don't think it is possible to select a path that doesn't reveal the area. Interesting about your worldmap. The new area is down in the mountains so you may not see it immediately anyway. It is just below the area that has the three crypts (also where you can exit the Nashkel mines) and it is just to the left of AR4500 (the forest dragon). The map icon should look like the one used for the dwarf castle in ToSC but that is further up the map.

Classic Adventures

#25 mildImp

mildImp
  • 242 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 10:46 PM

AR4600 is the area where the Forest Dragon is. From looking at the AR4600.are file that is in my Dsotscv1 rar, I dont see either TranC010a or TranC010b trigger defined, preventing me from traveling to DSC010 from this area. And I don't see were the world map would be updated to allow DSC010 to be visible.

#26 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 06:02 AM

The area triggers are turned on if the global Cuchoinneach = 1. It does if you have talked to him. Therefore, finding Cuchy triggers the area triggers so you can move to the new area. However, under version 1.0, I changed this to a RevealAreaOnMap command when you talk to Cuchy. So the travel triggers aren't needed anymore. In fact, the new version of AR4600 shouldn't even have those triggers on the map anymore.

Worse case for you would be to MoveToArea("DSC010") then walk off the map to the West back onto AR4600. From there walk back and your worldmap should show the new area.

Classic Adventures

#27 mildImp

mildImp
  • 242 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 08:21 AM

Yeah, you removed the triggers, but I think you forgot to update 4600.bcs to flag DSC010 as visable. The area script I have still activates the now non-existant triggers. I simlply updated my worldmap and set DSC010 as visable, thus allowing a transition to this area. BTW, I am really enjoying this quest. The battles have been difficult and a lot of fun. I was able to kill Lord whats his name more than once however and therefore get multiple copies of the baby. I gather, he should escape a couple of times before a final showdown, but if your fast enough :D well then.........

#28 The Prophet

The Prophet
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 09:30 AM

Glad I found this....I did start a new game with DSotSC, and except for an XP crash (which meant I had to 're-load' things that already existed), have had no problems with the quests up until the Citadel. I can use the CTRL-4 to highlight the entrance, but cannot walk through it (yes, my mace is made, powered up, and blessed by the appropriate NPC's), I've tried just talking to and joining up Cu-etc, etc - although his doggie stayed behind :angry: ,and I've tried MoveToArea("DSC010") to be told the area does not exist. Is there an easy way out of this? Or am I faced with re-starting :wall:

My sub-primate employment programme saps enough of my will as it is, so any helpful advice is worth at least several shouts of the Beer God's Best... :drunk:
Zeal is its own Excuse

#29 mildImp

mildImp
  • 242 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 09:44 AM

Dude...sounds like you have a problem with your install. But here are some ideas.

Which version of Dsotsc do you have installed?

Are you running a BP-BGT game?

Look at your override folder, do you have a file DSC010.are? If it isnt there, try copying it from your unrared Dsotsc install dir along with all the supporting DSC010 files. But, if this is the case I suspect you have larger install issues that you may or may not run into.

If you feel comfortable doing it, check the worldmap of your saved game for that area. If you find it make it visible.

#30 The Prophet

The Prophet
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 10:05 AM

Cheers for the reply.

As far as I know, the install (as far as patches in order goes) is right - at 5 in the pre-dawn, no chance of spelling them out.

Running full v103b. But not BP-BGT (hell, I finished BG II and TDD well before I even got my hands on BG I - allow me time to catch up with the joy available).

And there are no DSCxxxx area files in either override files - this hasn't stopped me completing the previous quests...? Are you suggesting to open them with WinRAR rather than WinZip? Is there some issue here? WinRAR is another of the programs that exists, yet does not exist, thanks to the aforementioned crash, but is simple to remedy.

As to checking the world map, I must admit to being perhaps an impostor here, my skills in editing the files are non-existent. One pitying soul over at planetBG sent me on my merry way to this site to answer the same question........should I be checking out a tute instead?

And cheers for the assist.
Zeal is its own Excuse

#31 The Prophet

The Prophet
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 10:17 AM

...and I've just been looking at your previously posted topic, Herr Imp, and I'm beginning to understand that I'm going to be a'learnin' or a re-startin' to fix my conundrum....

:bash:

...bugger...
Zeal is its own Excuse

#32 mildImp

mildImp
  • 242 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 10:36 AM

I dont know how much help I can be to you. The Dsotsc install we are discussing here is a specific weidu version for BP-BGT. I really dont have any experience with other versions. Sorry. Although, Ill bet Sir Billy Bob has alot of insight into the version your working with.

Edited by mildImp, 11 November 2004 - 10:37 AM.

#33 The Prophet

The Prophet
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 10:50 AM

Fair enough. As I've been scrolling through the posts hereabouts, I've come to the same conclusion re the BP - :blush: kind of knew I was in the wrong site, but I figured optimism must exist for some purpose...

So...I figure, download BP, wait for itch to need the scratch, start again? There is another game burning at my temporal lobes, perhaps the Allied invasion can void my reluctance to begin again...

Thanks for the assist, however, most appreciated.

And when the Stars are Right, hopefully I'll be too busy killing the Undead to annoy you all with unanswerable questions...........
Zeal is its own Excuse

#34 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 11:41 AM

You are playing the original game. The support for that would be over on the TeamBG site, but that is down (completely and forever I guess). The area names are different between the original and the BGT-BP version. So area DSC010 is not what you can move to. However, you can move to ARC001 which is the castle area for that game.

Classic Adventures

#35 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 11:47 AM

MildImp, the castle area is shown on the worldmap the same way as the Cloakwoods. Something or someone has to reveal it to you. That is why Cuchy should have been able to do that. Looking through his dialog, he should have run the command to reveal DSC010. Again, at this point I don't know why that didn't work for you. I am getting ready to run through everything one more time and clean up the problems you guys are reporting (like the treasure pile in DSC007). Hopefully, I will have a patch up this weekend with the last fixes.

By the way, how did you nail Lord Daerthmac so fast? I will have to put some boots of speed on him or something. Did the coffin area work? Any other problems with his castle? Creatures, items, traps, etc.?

Classic Adventures

#36 mildImp

mildImp
  • 242 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 12:23 PM

MildImp, the castle area is shown on the worldmap the same way as the Cloakwoods.  Something or someone has to reveal it to you.  That is why Cuchy should have been able to do that.  Looking through his dialog, he should have run the command to reveal DSC010.  Again, at this point I don't know why that didn't work for you.

View Post

Is this done in an area script? This has been my assumption. The area script where Cuchy is spawned (3200.bcs) doesnt have anything that I can see that would reveal DSC010, just sets the variables CuChoSpawn and CuChoinneach. The area script (4600.bcs) looks for the CuChoinneach variable to activate the now invalid travel triggers TranC010a and b.

By the way, how did you nail Lord Daerthmac so fast?  I will have to put some boots of speed on him or something.  Did the coffin area work?  Any other problems with his castle? Creatures, items, traps, etc.?

View Post

My main character has boots of speed (forgot where we obtained these) and of course I buffed and hastened my party before the encounter (because I got blown away the first time I stumbled into it). Focused all my attacks on Lord Daerthmac (searing light, magic missle, the undead slaying longsword we found at the top of the keep, cuchy and his dog) and killed him before he could make a move, but after his little speech, and then did it again the second time you meet him.

I dont think Ive gotten to the coffin area yet.

Edited by mildImp, 11 November 2004 - 12:43 PM.

#37 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 03:50 PM

DSC010 shows up on my map, but when I use the map to go there I get a CTD when loading. If I use the move to area it works. Is it looking for a movie??

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#38 mildImp

mildImp
  • 242 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 05:08 PM

Making the area visible and then clicking on it to travel there worked for me. No movie. I could have cluaed there, but why when the area is available on the map?

#39 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 05:16 PM

Just after talking with Cuchy.

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#40 mildImp

mildImp
  • 242 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 07:26 PM

Well, just finished the Citadel quest. The coffin area went well, staked the two coffins at the end. One thing, in the last fight with lord D, he just stood there after making his "your going to die statement". He never went hostile.