BGT vs TuTu ???

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 -Shandorin-

-Shandorin-

Posted 09 March 2005 - 12:30 PM

So, what are the differences between tutu and bgt? I tried to search forums but didn't found any answer that i'd understood... :) Aren't they supposed to do the same thing?

#2 -icelus-

-icelus-

Posted 09 March 2005 - 12:39 PM

This thread may be beneficial: http://forums.gibber...findpost&p=8209

#3 Yacomo

Yacomo

cartographer of the realms

• 485 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 01:00 PM

So, what are the differences between tutu and bgt? I tried to search forums but didn't found any answer that i'd understood... :) Aren't they supposed to do the same thing?

View Post

Oh nooo! I here the voices in my head... I here them coming... again :wacko:

You know that you are opening pandora's box by starting yet another BGT vs. Tutu thread, don't you :devil: ? Funny thing is, there is a sticky on top of the forum that was just added a couple of hours ago to provide a brief description on what BP-BGT is all about...

Over the last few weeks since I came back to Baldur's Gate I learned that there are sometimes very strong feelings on both sides, but I'll try to give a brief summary anyway:

Tutu is all about recreating the original Baldur's Gate game using the SoA engine, nothing more, nothing less. The game ends after you defeat Sarevok and you have to deinstall Tutu in order to continue with SoA. It is easier to install and generally considered technically superior, at least by it's authors ;)

BP-BGT is all about integrating BGI into BGII so that you can start at Candlekeep and can play right through until the end of TOB. Altering the storyline or having some rough edges is generally not considered to be a problem by people that like BP-BGT. This is more of a power gamer's mod that tries to integrate as much material as possible, even if it is sometimes of 'dubious' quality.

Support for both mods seems to be of equal quality.

To decide what you want to play, you could ask yourself these two questions:

Do you want it clean and tidy? - take Tutu
Do you just 'want more power' (like Tim Allen in Tool Time)? - take BP-BGT

And now I'll run for cover... they are coming... I here them...

I told you, it's starting... again... :ph34r:

Edited by Yacomo, 10 March 2005 - 10:27 AM.

#4 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 09 March 2005 - 01:13 PM

sorry, didn't realise there was this pandoras box thing going on... :o
But thanks for the answers, they were just what i was looking for.

#5 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 09:58 PM

To decide what you want to play, you could ask yourself these two questions:

Do you want it clean and tidy? - take Tutu
Do you just 'want more power' (like Tim Allen in Tool Time)? - take BP-BGT

Also, at this point in time you can consider what mods that you are interested in. Some mods available, like Secret of Bonehill, are available for both Tutu and BGT, while other mods are available only to one platform. For example, BG1NPC is only supported for the Tutu version although there is a very early version of this available for BGT. On the other hand, some huge mods like Tortured Souls is compatible with BGT only.

Remember that the thought of 5 humungus mods sounds appealing because you can play a very long Baldur's Gate game and be finished after 6 months or so, but as things are, such a build will probably have many bugs big and small as well as consistency issues - hence the 'dubious' quality. Thus, if power sounds attractive, be prepared to learn some simple modding skills to fix some bugs (or if that is too hard, ask lots of questions on the forums) and to sometimes be a little frustrated that something doesn't seem to work.

Finally, if all you want is to play vanilla BG1 using the BG2 engine, then Tutu is the way to go.

May you choose wisely.

Edited by Ascension64, 09 March 2005 - 09:59 PM.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#6 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 10:23 PM

May you choose wisely.

View Post

I like that!

I am waiting for the New BGT-WeiDU, New Map Mod, New BP to be ready for my next big install. Very willing to play the Betas though!

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#7 SimDing0

SimDing0

GROUP ICON

• 1654 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 05:41 AM

I think of all the BGT vs Tutu threads around, I like this one best. Seriously.
Repeating cycle of pubes / no pubes.

A Comprehensive Listing of IE Mods

#8 Eon Blue Apocalypse

Eon Blue Apocalypse
  • 78 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 10:16 AM

Most consensus?

#9 Andyr

Andyr

HERR RASENKOPF

• 2318 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 10:17 AM

On the other hand, some huge mods like Tortured Souls is compatible with BGT only.

Tortured Souls is a BG2 mod so having it work with Tutu would be a little pointless. ;)

I would recommend Tutu, but yeah, each to their own.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

< jcompton > Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

#10 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 10 March 2005 - 12:01 PM

On the other hand, some huge mods like Tortured Souls is compatible with BGT only.

Tortured Souls is a BG2 mod so having it work with Tutu would be a little pointless. ;)

View Post

Ugh... Now I got confused. If TuTu only alters BG1 to work on BG2 engine, shouldn't BG2 and it's mods work just like before? Or does Tutu change BG2 install in someway, too?

#11 Ghreyfain

Ghreyfain
  • 137 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 02:42 PM

Tutu needs to be uninstalled before you can play BG2 again, since we felt adding a continuity mod for the transition from Sarevok's death to Irenicus dungeon would take too much time to do well.

#12 J Beau

J Beau
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 03:54 PM

I remember hearing about a straight transition mod for Tutu. (Without concern for continuity.) Has the idea been dropped? I hope not.
Tempus fugit - memento mori
Time flies - remember death

#13 Andyr

Andyr

HERR RASENKOPF

• 2318 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 04:34 PM

View Post

Ugh... Now I got confused. If TuTu only alters BG1 to work on BG2 engine, shouldn't BG2 and it's mods work just like before? Or does Tutu change BG2 install in someway, too?

View Post

Well, installing Tortured Souls would work fine but there'd be no point because you play the BG1 story and TS adds to the BG2 story.

But mods that do tweaks, add kits and the like work fine with Tutu.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

< jcompton > Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

#14 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 07:17 PM

OK, I'm gonna ask a question which I can never find a straight answer on. Let me start by saying that I'm gonna be an ass about this because I refuse to read thru all the posts, threads, stickies - AGAIN - just to find this answer. So flame me if you want to ...

Download Baldur's Gate Trilogy or TuTu. Both let you play BG1 on the BG2 Engine.

View Post

Is this true - Does BGT use the BG2 engine for ALL its parts, or does it use the BG1 engine for the BG1 bits, then switches to BG2 engine for the BG2 bits?

I've read about BGT/BP/XYZ/wqr/etc for YEARS now and have never seen the answer laid out simply. If you don't believe me, look at all the stickies at the top of this forum and you'll see that NONE of them answer this simple question. If I'm wrong, show me.

Finally I'll throw in my hat into the "taste great/less filling" debate. I cannot go back to the BG1 engine. I can't do it. It Tutu did nothing else but just let us use the features of the BG2 engine, I would sing its praises as the best BG tool.

If BGT can use the BG2 engine ALL THE WAY THRU, I don't care what it does to the content - I'm gonna run out, butt-naked if I have to, buy an external harddrive and start dowloading.

"I gladly simp for jastey" -- Aza
==========================================================
"You ever notice that "What the hell?!" is the answer to just about everything?"
==========================================================

"Girls are like phones, they like to be held and talked too, but if you press the wrong button, you will be disconnected!" DJ Nikodemus
================================================================
Community Contributions
* Level 1 NPCs * gMinion: expanded TP2 for MegaInstalls * PSM (PSQM): expanded scripts for Melanthium * Shar Nadal (DSotSC-BGT) revision * non-detectable Cloak of Non-Detection ?? * Weimer's-Tactics: revised TP2 for MegaInstalls * a directory of Mega-Installation Guides *

#15 Ghreyfain

Ghreyfain
  • 137 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 07:19 PM

Yeah, BGT uses the BG2 engine all the way through.

Get Tutu anyways. It has green water.

Edited by Ghreyfain, 10 March 2005 - 07:19 PM.

#16 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 07:34 PM

... Get Tutu anyways.  It has green water.

View Post

Got Tutu already, and Luvs it. On my second/third run-thru -- Jester which I'm gonna dual to WILD MAGE!

Yeah, BGT uses the BG2 engine all the way through.

View Post

Thank you, Thank You, THANK YOU!!!

Someone point me in the right direction - where's the best place to buy an external hard drive (40G or more) for under 100 USD?
i'm taking my clothes off, and have the front door open, while waiting for an answer...

Edited by Azazello, 02 June 2005 - 07:48 PM.

#17 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 08:04 PM

Check here to find prices on hard drives. BGT is all the mods as one game. BP-BGT you get all the TDD spells and new kits from the start.

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#18 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 02:12 AM

Get Tutu anyways.  It has green water.

Yum Yum. :P :P :P

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#19 SimDing0

SimDing0

GROUP ICON

• 1654 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 06:04 AM

I remember hearing about a straight transition mod for Tutu. (Without concern for continuity.)  Has the idea been dropped? I hope not.

I was the one who started work on that, but I rapidly decided that I'd sooner spend my holiday making mods I'd enjoy rather than proof-of-concept stuff. Sorry.

Edited by SimDing0, 11 March 2005 - 06:06 AM.

Repeating cycle of pubes / no pubes.

A Comprehensive Listing of IE Mods

#20 russ

russ

bilbo_faramir

• 78 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 07:38 AM

View Post

View Post

I could be wrong but the reason why is that BP (it includes TS) is a non-WeiDU mod (the WeiDU versions are still in beta IMHO). You have to install it on a patched unmodded ToB game and then and only then install other BG2 mods. If you install these mods before you uninstall Tutu then, when you uninstall Tutu at the end of BG1, your game will be broken. So you would have to wait to install your bg2 mods until after you finished playing bg1 and even then it's possible your bg2 has changed (string references for weapons perhaps) so you couldn't install a non-WeiDU mod.

However, the mod people are talking about is basically DSotSC which adds as much content as SoBH and which has a BGT version but not a TuTu version.

Let me also try to use my own words as to the difference between the two. Tutu is the BG1 game using the BG2 game engine. BGT is not the BG1 game at all but rather takes the BG1 content and places it into the BG2 game.