• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#41 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

Order of Radiant Ugliness

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 03:19 AM

Another thing which concerns me : her alignment is an expression of her druidic nature or just of the fact that, as a clone, she does not make the difference between good and evil, being like a new-born baby in terms of morality ?

Well, I'll take 10% from Druidic Box A, 10% from Newborn Box B, and 80% from secret unknown Box C ;)

KACH_TS.jpg Chrysta... could helping her to uncover her past threaten your own future?

"Pity the land in need of Heroes."- Bertolt Brecht
"A little madness, now and then, is relished by the wisest men." - Willy Wonka

#42 fallen_demon

fallen_demon

barely untraind assasian

• 451 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 12:46 PM

Will there also be degrees to how aggressive she is? For example, will it be possible to have both a Chrsta who stands back and looks the other way as you sacrafice children, and also have it so she would look to sacrafice children herself?

edit: aggressive probably isn't the right word

Edited by fallen_demon, 19 June 2005 - 12:48 PM.

"I choose to believe what I was programed to believe."
Futurama quotes rock

#43 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 02:33 PM

Will there also be degrees to how aggressive she is?  For example, will it be possible to have both a Chrsta who stands back and looks the other way as you sacrafice children, and also have it so she would look to sacrafice children herself?

Perhaps not as extreme as that, but Chrysta will get pretty dark if you influence her that way.

KACH_TS.jpg Chrysta... could helping her to uncover her past threaten your own future?

#44 arconian

arconian
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 12:32 AM

Sir K sorry if this has been asked before, but can you still romance her if you turn her to the dark side, if so will it differ from light side chrysta romance :ermm: just wonderin'

#45 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 12:38 AM

Sir K sorry if this has been asked before, but can you still romance her if you turn her to the dark side, if so will it differ from light side chrysta romance :ermm: just wonderin'

Yes, the romance will progress whichever way you influence her. There will be certain Lovetalks only viewable if you have influenced her one way or the other, and they will differ in "style" dramatically depending on who/what Chrysta has become. I can't really provide any more detail at this stage, otherwise we will be crossing the border into the Land of Spoilerage. ;)

#46 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 01:31 AM

Does she have any connection with any druidic group ?

/me already hears Sir K saying (with a booming voice) : "that falls into the spoiler's territory". :D

#47 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 01:36 AM

Does she have any connection with any druidic group ?

/me already hears Sir K saying (with a booming voice) : "that falls into the spoiler's territory".  :D

Your lack of faith is disturbing, young padawan... but your instincts are correct. However, I believe it is more of a teaser than a spoiler to mention that the answer to this question, when found in-game, will most likely lead to retreading of ground long missed, and a realisation that even the best intentioned of acts by the PC in the past can lead to unforeseen tragic consequences :^^:

#48 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 02:09 AM

Can she be removed from the party and picked up later ?

#49 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 02:50 AM

Can she be removed from the party and picked up later ?

Yes, although there are specific times when this would be "not advisable" :)

Edited by Sir Kalthorine, 20 June 2005 - 02:52 AM.

#50 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 02:24 AM

However, I believe it is more of a teaser than a spoiler to mention that the answer to this question, when found in-game, will most likely lead to retreading of ground long missed, and a realisation that even the best intentioned of acts by the PC in the past can lead to unforeseen tragic consequences

I wonder if this has any connection with the Shadow Druids you meet in BG1... :rolleyes:

Edited by Feanor, 24 June 2005 - 02:25 AM.

#51 Lord Ernie

Lord Ernie
  • Modder
  • 755 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 03:50 AM

Actually, I was thinking that as well. Speculation, of course, but it seems logical enough. And connecting her past to the PC's would be a very nice move, storywise.

... This is looking a bit too well, in fact.

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move - Douglas Adams

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world - Oscar Wilde

Give a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. But set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

#52 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 04:18 AM

I wonder if this has any connection with the Shadow Druids you meet in BG1...  :rolleyes:

Actually, I was thinking that as well. Speculation, of course, but it seems logical enough. And connecting her past to the PC's would be a very nice move, storywise.

Not actually expecting me to comment on any of that I hope, gentlemen? ^_^

#53 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 06:10 AM

I wonder if this has any connection with the Shadow Druids you meet in BG1...  :rolleyes:

Not actually expecting me to comment on any of that I hope, gentlemen? ^_^

View Post

Not even in our dreams, Sir K. :P

BTW, what is Chrysta's view on nature ? (in regard of the next possible attitudes)

Druids differ in their attitudes toward non-Nature gods.

Nature as Supreme. These druids consider Nature a force beyond mere gods. Other faiths do exist, but they are mere aspects of the greater whole. To worship one of them means celebrating just a fragment of Nature (like the thunder, the ocean or death) rather than the whole, as druids do.

Most druids in AD&D game worlds use this approach. They believe their own faith is somewhat superior, but do not actively oppose other faiths and may ally themselves with the worshipers of natural, agricultural, or elemental deities.

Nature as Progenitor. Followers of this philosophy see Nature as an integral part of a pantheon of gods. In this case, druids identify the other gods as "children of Nature," perhaps born in some mythic way. For instance, the druids may teach that, in the time before the world, first came formless chaos, and out of it emerged Nature. From Nature was born the Great Goddess, who married the Sky and gave birth to many children: all the other gods.

Nature by Another Name. Druids may identify Nature as one aspect of an existing god--usually a powerful and primal earth or natural deity. For instance, if the DM wants druids in a fantasy world involving the gods of Greek myth, Nature may be worshiped as the great earth goddess Gaia without causing other changes in druidic behavior. This belief pattern enables the druids to participate directly in a pantheon of deities.

Nature is All. Other gods do not exist! Druids who hold this belief see other priests either as deluded or worshiping Nature under a different name. Unless the druids are right, (in which case, no other class of priest would function in the campaign!) this philosophy leads them to have a rather close-minded and inflexible faith. Druids may live apart from mainstream society as hermits or work as missionaries to recruit people to the "one true faith." Quite possibly, believers in other faiths would take a dim view of such druids, as no one likes to hear their beliefs called lies!

The Gods Threaten Nature. Other gods are acknowledged as powerful entities, but the druids consider them unnatural-- interlopers from the outer planes or beings and philosophies created by the belief of foolish mortals. Followers of aggressive, proselytizing religions that actively seek converts and start religious wars become dangers to the natural order. Druids with this belief tend to act hostile to those of most other faiths, considering them instruments of "outside influences" that threaten the balance of Nature!

Nature as Equal with Other Forces. These druids believe that other primal forces exist on the same level as Nature, such as Magic or Entropy. The priests of these forces may become either rivals or allies to druids.

Edited by Feanor, 24 June 2005 - 06:11 AM.

#54 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 04:10 AM

Sir K ? :huh:

#55 Hendryk

Hendryk
  • 873 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 05:15 AM

Ah, he's around somewhere; just distracted. Supposed to be back in a week or so.

Edited by Hendryk, 26 June 2005 - 06:32 AM.

Ready. Fire. Aim.

#56 Lord Ernie

Lord Ernie
  • Modder
  • 755 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 08:04 AM

Not actually expecting me to comment on any of that I hope, gentlemen? 

Actually, I was. I was hoping for some strangely concocted story about her past, which would prove me and Feanor correct. And, of course, be completely different from what will be in the mod. You disappoint me, Sir K; guess I overestimated you :D.

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move - Douglas Adams

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world - Oscar Wilde

Give a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. But set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

#57 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 12:43 PM

Actually, I was. I was hoping for some strangely concocted story about her past, which would prove me and Feanor correct. And, of course, be completely different from what will be in the mod. You disappoint me, Sir K; guess I overestimated you :D.

Tsk... impatient peeps! :rolleyes:

Hehe... sorry, but while I'm involved in forum housekeeping during the move I am restricted to short answers, and Feanor's post deserves a more detailed answer. One will be provided within the next few days - watch this space. ;-)

#58 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 02:48 AM

Tsk... impatient peeps! :rolleyes:

Hehe... sorry, but while I'm involved in forum housekeeping during the move I am restricted to short answers, and Feanor's post deserves a more detailed answer. One will be provided within the next few days - watch this space. ;-)

View Post

I wanted to be sure you have seen it. :D I am ashamed of my lack of faith... /runs before Sir k starts chasing me with a baseball stick to mete out the appropriate punishment/ :D

#59 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 02:52 AM

BTW, what is Chrysta's view on nature ? (in regard of the next possible attitudes)...

Druids differ in their attitudes toward non-Nature gods.

Indeed they do - and that is a nice list of possibilities you have given there, Feanor. The only problem is... none of them really apply to Chrysta!

I have been trying to think of a way of responding that will address the question (note I do not say "answer your question" or "satisfy your curiosity", as I doubt very much whether I will ever truly succeed in either! :) ), but without spoiling Chrysta too much. I think I have come up with something that does not compromise my modding ethics, so here goes:

Basically, I think it is safe enough to say that, while she has Druidic powers, Chrysta is not actually a fully fledged Druid, and she is not entirely sure herself about how she views Nature... at least to begin with. She is none too enamoured of Gods in general, however, so if you had to categorise how her views develop over time then it would probably be an amalgam of "Nature as Progenitor" and "Gods threaten Nature", with more emphasis on the former. However, when she discovers exactly where and how her druidic powers came from, those views are likely to change quite dramatically...

#60 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 03:09 AM

But, as a druid, does she take an interest in protecting nature against any harm (have in mind the Druid Grove quest) ?

Basically, I think it is safe enough to say that, while she has Druidic powers, Chrysta is not actually a fully fledged Druid, and she is not entirely sure herself about how she views Nature... at least to begin with. She is none too enamoured of Gods in general, however, so if you had to categorise how her views develop over time then it would probably be an amalgam of "Nature as Progenitor" and "Gods threaten Nature", with more emphasis on the former. However, when she discovers exactly where and how her druidic powers came from, those views are likely to change quite dramatically...

Well, your diplomacy skill is high. :lol: :D