Photo

Meet Dirbert

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 11 October 2005 - 12:05 PM

The current Player Manual has drawings that leave little place for debates showing the human-halfelf-elf comparison; and yep, it is the narrow-faced, with the visibly slanted jaw, cheekbone, eye and brow lines, relatively harmoniously aligned. And yep, the mule ears looking ever so perilious in the helmeted pictures. Unlike Tolkien's - shorter and slimmer than humans. To be honest, I have never noticed Tolkien mentioning pointy ears or slanted eyes in his books. It was more of a Dark, tall and slender thing.

#22 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 11 October 2005 - 04:00 PM

Sorry all of my stuff is first edition or second edition; the older books had the elves looking a lot different. I never looked at the newer material. Classic adventures is based on the out of print material. Check 1st edition. I make no references to the new material. AD&D has changed too much since I last played to want to pick up the new rulebooks. The last book I book was a forgotten realms supplement (Cormanthyr 1998) it said elves were as tall as humans, it made no reference to eyes and it said they had long fingers. Ashara, please understand I am refering to material which is out of print. I am also referencing everything with forgotten realms books from 1989-1998. Please read some of these books sometimes. They have alot of well written information. AD&D has gone through a big change. The current artists I feel are poor compared to the great talents such a s Larry Elmore. As I said in my last post Elves in the 70's and 80's where described much differently. I am not arguing about the current AD&D, nor I am making reference to it.

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70's and 80's. Experience AD&D's greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Visit our homepage at http://classicadventuresmod.com/

#23 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 04:28 PM

In any case, Dirbert is a half-elf and therefore doesn't have to look exactly like either an elf or a human. I created him like this just to be different. While reading the Sembia series, I discovered that one author did the same thing with a set of half-elf twins. The girl looks completely human (thinner and shorter than most but that was it) and her brother looks completely wood-elven (but taller and thicker). Neither had any idea of their heiritage until they get older.

Therefore, someone else was thinking along the same lines I was. My spin is that Dirbert knows his family and he knows he has elven blood on both sides of his family. There are no dialogs yet talking about his family but I may bring it up in Selgaunt since the city fears elves.

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website

#24 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 12 October 2005 - 08:08 AM

The current artists I feel are poor compared to the great talents such a s Larry Elmore. As I said in my last post Elves in the 70's and 80's where described much differently. I am not arguing about the current AD&D, nor I am making reference to it.

Please, don't be so confrontational. If you chose to play 1 ED it is fine, not everyone will chose to dismiss all the follow up efforts, and quite thorough exploration, both graphical and textual available currently. If you chose to have the module follow the 1 st edition rules, that's fine as well, even if BioWARE is an edition of its own, based on 2Ed. BioWARE's portrail of the Elves, however, agrees with the newer revisions, see portaits for Aerie, Viconia and Jaheira in BG2. I, for one like the idea of the Elves being as tall or taller than humans, with the visble slant of eye-jaw-cheeckbone-brow, but without too pronounced ear elongation. I found it to be the most aestethically pleasing. :)

#25 ronin

ronin
  • Modder
  • 2114 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 12:40 PM

Quick question, how come Dirbert has ** in bow and **** in long bow and ** in two weapon style. Is my game wrong, should he have those proficiencies or should he have proficiencies in some type of sword?

ronin

#26 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 17 November 2005 - 05:19 PM

Quick question, how come Dirbert has ** in bow and **** in long bow and ** in two weapon style. Is my game wrong, should he have those proficiencies or should he have proficiencies in some type of sword?

ronin

All rangers have two proficiency slots in two weapon style as a bonus. 

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70's and 80's. Experience AD&D's greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Visit our homepage at http://classicadventuresmod.com/

#27 Princeps

Princeps
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 05:32 PM

[...] To be honest, I have never noticed Tolkien mentioning pointy ears or slanted eyes in his books.

He didn't. His elves did not look like that.

It was more of a Dark, tall and slender thing.

Yes, apart from those that were LIGHT, tall, and slender. :-)

#28 ronin

ronin
  • Modder
  • 2114 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 11:10 PM

ronin

All rangers have two proficiency slots in two weapon style as a bonus. 

Thank you for the answer, but why does he have ** in bow and **** n logbow? I am not nitpicking or anything just trying to get a clarification for myself.

ronin

#29 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 18 November 2005 - 03:37 AM

Sorry about that, I guess living in Japan for 7 1/2 years has made my english drop. What probably happened is Dirbert was made as a 7th level character and then leveled down. This would explain his extra proficiencies. (That is how I made most of the NPC's.) It is easy to over look the proficiency points at times. Thank you for pointing this out. I will tell Sir BillyBob to adjust the cre file.

Edited by leahnkain, 18 November 2005 - 03:47 AM.

#30 ronin

ronin
  • Modder
  • 2114 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 03:52 AM

Sorry about that, I guess living in Japan for 7 1/2 years has made my english drop. What probably happened is Dirbert was made as a 7th level character and then leveled down. This would explain his extra proficiencies. (That is how I made most of the NPC's.) It is easy to over look the proficiency points at times. Thank you for pointing this out. I will tell Sir BillyBob to adjust the cre file.

Can you tell me what he should have please. I can use NI to edit his proficiencies so I dont have to wait for a patch or start a new game.

Thank you

ronin

#31 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 18 November 2005 - 03:55 AM

He is one of the NPC's I didn't create...just guessing he would probably have 4 slots in long bow. Sir Billybob will need to reconfirm that. (I made all of the NPC's from Aesdale on...) BTW did you pick up Althon? I am trying to get feedback about his storyline.

#32 ronin

ronin
  • Modder
  • 2114 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 04:14 AM

I am only in the in the first part trying to get an apple from the goblins right now. At first level with a staff is damn hard, I keep getting my ass handed to me on a silver platter by a single stupid goblin with a bow. He hits me almost everytime with the first shot for 14points of damage. "lucky bastard" I have Myself (berserker), Shadow and Dirbert (with his sword and no proficiencies for it, but killer with his bow). I will pick up Althon whe n I get to him and keep you posted about what I think.

ronin

#33 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 07:04 PM

That is a weird issue. Dirbert really has 4 points in Long Bow and 2 points in dual-weld (like all rangers). You can see this in DLTCEP as well as in the game when you level him up. I am not sure why the game shows a seperate category for "bow" with 2 points in it. Has this always been in the game? I don't see how I could have created it.

With Dirbert, I always add his first new proficiency point into long sword so he is better with it by the time you access the +1 long sword. You could also put the point in long bow maxing out his proficiences here and making him even more powerful with a bow.

For clarification, all NPCs are created at level 1 by making them a regualr PC first using the CA mod. From there, I level them to their correct start level(s) in the game and then export each CHR file to a CRE file. I do not use a basic SoA game because that would give the NPCs all the Bhaal abilities that you get when you start the game. Also, it would be a pain in the ass to strip everything back down to 1st level.

Classic Adventures

#34 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 19 November 2005 - 06:52 AM

For clarification, all NPCs are created at level 1 by making them a regualr PC first using the CA mod. From there, I level them to their correct start level(s) in the game and then export each CHR file to a CRE file. I do not use a basic SoA game because that would give the NPCs all the Bhaal abilities that you get when you start the game. Also, it would be a pain in the ass to strip everything back down to 1st level.

Aesdale,Blush and Alton were made using a multiplayer game of BG2 and leveled down. It was a real pain stripping everything down before they were converted to NPC files. The later NPC's such as Vildamyr, Paraway or Rihn were made the same as your NPC's. I agree you way is much smoother. After I managed to get everything working smoothly, I have used ony your engine to create everyone.

#35 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 08:10 AM

That is why I rebuilt your NPCs (Aesdale, etc) before adding them to the game. I see that Vild and the other new ones are more like real level 1 creatures. Originally, I made Dirbert and Shadow using BGT-BP. Once the CA engine was complete for starting a character, I went back and rebuilt them to make sure kits, saves, and hit points were correct as if you started the game with that same character.

Riln and Rilitar will have to be recreated by me because of their special kits. This makes sure that all kit abilities are added to their CRE file. Otherwise, if you just change the class/kit later, it doesn't work correctly.

Classic Adventures

#36 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 19 November 2005 - 08:38 AM

I was wondering how you built the original NPC's. Only the first three where built in such a manner. the rest have been built the same way you did Dirbert.