World of Warcraft

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 EvaineDian

EvaineDian
  • Validating
  • 211 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 10:35 AM

I was on an RP server in an RP guild, but the amount of RP was almost zero. There were just too many l33t speakers around.

#22 hlidskialf

hlidskialf

Incarnation of the Eternal Ale Warrior

• Modder
  • 2510 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 02:05 PM

Yet another reason I enjoy running my own server. ;)

The great wolf Fenrir gapes ever at the dwelling of the gods.

#23 afireinside

afireinside
  • 64 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 01:50 AM

I've been playing this game for a month or so. I really like the construction, gameplay, graphics, etc... However, I can't stand the L33t little wankers running around everywhere. I've never been fond of MMORPGs, and prefer to play solo. Which explains why I've set up my own server and am running an emulator for my own gaming pleasure. The game itself is easy to mod, is geared toward new quest addition and is just plain frickin' huge! The only thing I miss is the NPC interaction of the BG series. That of course can change with some coding. ;)

could this emulated server be made public for those of us at SHS who want to pop in and say hello? ^^
I'M NINJA Posted Image you can't see me

#24 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 04:06 AM

I've been playing this game for a month or so. I really like the construction, gameplay, graphics, etc... However, I can't stand the L33t little wankers running around everywhere. I've never been fond of MMORPGs, and prefer to play solo. Which explains why I've set up my own server and am running an emulator for my own gaming pleasure. The game itself is easy to mod, is geared toward new quest addition and is just plain frickin' huge! The only thing I miss is the NPC interaction of the BG series. That of course can change with some coding. ;)

could this emulated server be made public for those of us at SHS who want to pop in and say hello? ^^

Considering what Blizzard thinks of free servers, I really don't think Seb would like us to post about that on the boards... just in case Blizz goes Google! :)

#25 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 05:59 AM

Considering what Blizzard thinks of free servers, I really don't think Seb would like us to post about that on the boards... just in case Blizz goes Google! :)

Why ? :unsure:

#26 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 07 December 2005 - 06:45 AM

Well, Blizzard does say that they consider these free servers completely illegal and it has been a policy on these boards to not allow gaming piracy, or other illegal material covering threads. Or at least I thought it was so.

#27 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 07:39 AM

Well, Blizzard does say that they consider these free servers completely illegal and it has been a policy on these boards to not allow gaming piracy, or other illegal material covering threads. Or at least I thought it was so.

If I would say my opinion about Blizzard, I could probably be censored by the staff... :P :D

#28 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 08:10 AM

If I would say my opinion about Blizzard, I could probably be censored by the staff... :P :D

:lol: That's probably true. But as I said, posted on the boards like this, it is there for all to see and the policy has been to keep-it-legal.

#29 Grunker

Grunker

Prince Charming

• 1240 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 08:57 AM

That's true for alot of us methinks :P
"I've heard people complain that the game [the new Prince of Persia] is too easy, which seems odd to me, since I died more times than The Nameless One in a smoothie-maker."

- Yahtzee

#30 Jyzabyl

Jyzabyl

Order of the Radiantly Radiant

• 1468 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 06:25 PM

:Poke:

Staff here!!! :D

Stop saying naughty things or it's time out for all of you! :P

Besides which I'd start expressing my opinions and then I'd have to punish myself :whistling:
True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing. And in knowing that you know nothing, that makes you the smartest of all. Socrates

Not only are female redheads frequently lovely but theirs is a loveliness that suggests both lust and danger, pleasure and violence, and is, therefore, to the male of the species virtually irresistible. Red O red were the tresses of the original femme fatale. Tom Robbins

The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Unless you know anthing about anatomy. In that case the way to a man's heart is through his ribs with a meat cleaver. Miss Jyzzy's Guide to Men.

Xtreme Versatility? Xpress Yourself!

#31 Tom

Tom

moT

• 1403 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 10:51 PM

Private servers are against the EULA I believe, although Blizzard uses that excuse to try and restrict or ban nearly everything under the sun.
Forward he cried from the rear
And the front rank died
And the general sat and the lines on the map
Moved from side to side.

#32 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 03:20 AM

Private servers are against the EULA I believe, although Blizzard uses that excuse to try and restrict or ban nearly everything under the sun.

Why the hell I am forbidden to do what I want with something which I paid for is beyond my comprehension. Maybe I don't want to play on their server. If I want to break the WoW cds in the heads of Blizzard staff, this at least am I allowed to do ?

#33 Grunker

Grunker

Prince Charming

• 1240 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 04:02 AM

Why the hell I am forbidden to do what I want with something which I paid for is beyond my comprehension. Maybe I don't want to play on their server. If I want to break the WoW cds in the heads of Blizzard staff, this at least am I allowed to do ?

That would be a violation of the law against breaking anything against another persons head, sadly :rolleyes:

But I agree with you. You bought the game, it should be free for you to choose between the service they offer (their own servers) or edit the material for personal preference. As long as you don't start making money on it. It's just like when Microsoft incorporated their own internet browser (Explorer) in windows, as that increased the cost of the product.
"I've heard people complain that the game [the new Prince of Persia] is too easy, which seems odd to me, since I died more times than The Nameless One in a smoothie-maker."

- Yahtzee

#34 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 11:55 AM

That would be a violation of the law against breaking anything against another persons head, sadly :rolleyes:

But I agree with you. You bought the game, it should be free for you to choose between the service they offer (their own servers) or edit the material for personal preference. As long as you don't start making money on it. It's just like when Microsoft incorporated their own internet browser (Explorer) in windows, as that increased the cost of the product.

Blizzard's restrictions are ridiculous and border on illegality now. Personally, I see this as an abuse against the customer's rights. It's like Ford would sell me a car, I pay for it but I am forced to use it only on the US roads. A big crap, to summarize it.

#35 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 12:12 PM

Heh, they're afraid that people would start to play on the free servers (which they would :D ) if they allowed them openly. And then Blizz would get no cash. Poor Blizz. I think that it would be a good thing if that happened... the WoW gold selling market would stop at last. I mean, it's crazy to buy virtual gold with real cash.

#36 Grunker

Grunker

Prince Charming

• 1240 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 02:20 PM

Heh, they're afraid that people would start to play on the free servers (which they would :D ) if they allowed them openly. And then Blizz would get no cash. Poor Blizz. I think that it would be a good thing if that happened... the WoW gold selling market would stop at last. I mean, it's crazy to buy virtual gold with real cash.

Yeah. Even though I play the game, that's taking it a little too far...

- Yahtzee

#37 Tom

Tom

moT

• 1403 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 10:37 PM

I've considered it several times, but each time I stop and think to my self exactly what it is Im going to do... Spending real money for something virtual? It sounds crazy when you think about it like that
Forward he cried from the rear
And the front rank died
And the general sat and the lines on the map
Moved from side to side.

#38 Grunker

Grunker

Prince Charming

• 1240 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 01:08 AM

I've considered it several times, but each time I stop and think to my self exactly what it is Im going to do... Spending real money for something virtual? It sounds crazy when you think about it like that

And it is. That's my borderline. I know it has consumed me too much when I start spending money on something besides the monthly fee.

- Yahtzee

#39 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 04:58 AM

And it is. That's my borderline. I know it has consumed me too much when I start spending money on something besides the monthly fee.

Personally, I won't even buy WoW as a form of protest. :P

#40 Grunker

Grunker

Prince Charming

• 1240 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 05:17 AM

Personally, I won't even buy WoW as a form of protest. :P

I wouldn't buy it either, but then someone bought it to me for my birthday including four months pre-paid gametime. Have no more left so my playing has been halted somewhat.

- Yahtzee