Comments on Progress Reports

• Please log in to reply
280 replies to this topic

#21 Neferit

Neferit

In the name of Gaider, we fight!

• 414 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:07 AM

...And no worries about any vengeful old girlfriends in the mod.

huh, really glad for this B) . "Vengeful old girlfriend" sounds pretty scary :rolleyes:
Heck no, b - I used the word the way I use things like "twitter", and "iPod" - my first inclination is to ask "what birdcall are you studying?" and I think of "I pod, You (singular) pod, He pods, She pods, They pod, You (plural) pod, We pod..."

Writings ►☼◄ Visual Shiny Pretties ►☼◄ Another Writings

►☼◄

You think you still have some brain in your head?

►☼◄►☼◄

#22 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 11:02 AM

I feel the need to elaborate a bit more on Darian's player-initiated conversations that I'm going to be starting work on either today or tomorrow.

These conversations are going to be strictly optional, and they're really meant to be a way for Charname to either get something off her chest or ask Darian about something that concerns her. For example, if you decide that Charname doesn't have a will of iron and is feeling very nervous about what's going on, or that she's been privately wondering if she's even going to survive, she'll be able to express those doubts and fears to Darian. Or, in the recurrently mentioned idea, she might want to know if Darian is already committed to some Avariel woman-he's never said a word about it, and while she can assume he has no prior commitments, she might want to check in case Darian's cheating on someone (to Darian, doing so would be unthinkable, but Charname doesn't know that) or something along those lines. Or if she's an elf and wants to learn directly how the elves worship, she can join Darian as he prays to Aerdrie Faeyna. For that particular one, I'll give options for Charname to say she worships a human deity, or that she worships one of the Seldarine. As you might expect, you'll be getting some interesting interactions if you decide that Charname, too, worships Aerdrie Faeyna.

However, most of these options will only really open up at RomanceActive = 2. Darian still isn't very comfortable with you at RA 4, so he won't be as responsive, and there will be a few options missing entirely.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#23 Ankhes

Ankhes
  • 244 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 04:16 PM

Sounds so good! You are really making Darien such an interesting personality and so complex that I think he'll be intriguing to take along even for people who who don't want to romance him. Of course I will romance him but it is so great that you are making him interesting to have along no matter what.

#24 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 09:47 PM

By the way, will Darian have player-initiated conversations for the friendship track? Or is this for romance-only?

I'm asking, because while I will definitely read and play the romance path, I will also eventually want to take him along as a friend only, as not to feel bad about letting him down, if my PC romances someone else/decides not to romance anyone. And in both cases, I'd be happy to talk with him as much as possible.

#25 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 04:22 AM

There will be some player-initiated conversations for the friendship track, yes. However, Darian's responses won't be as extended. If he's starting to fall for Charname, he's going to enjoy talking to her (even if he would never admit it). In turn, Darian is more than a little introverted even around his friends-and I use that term fairly loosely, since even in Myrrhavin, Darian really never had much in the way of friends. He's always been something of a loner.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#26 Solstice

Solstice

Fluffy Pink Bunny

• 956 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 06:24 AM

Wow. You really don't waste time, do you?
"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!" -Charname, Baldur's Gate 1

"Power corrupts. And absolute power is actually pretty neat." -Tom Clancy

"Is it possible to take Favored Enemy: Forum Poster?" -Someone who shall remain anonymous

#27 Shilo

Shilo
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 12:56 PM

Wow. You really don't waste time, do you?

Tempest certainly doesn't!

This question has probably already been asked but are you doing a joint SoA and ToB release, separate or undecided? Feel free to spank me if you're sick of this question. Better yet, get Darian to do it :devil:
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

#28 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 01:08 PM

SoA and ToB are going to be separate releases, I'm afraid. Darian for SoA is very much a learning experience for me-I'm fully expecting Darian's initial test release to be buggy as hell and cause major problems. By the time I do ToB, I should be much more proficient in coding, so it probably won't take as long (in addition to ToB being just plain shorter).

However, I do have Darian's ToB content laid out, for the most part. All his epilogues (there are five distinct endings for Darian, plus some minor variations) are already written, his Master Wraith scene has been written, and a few of his banters (notably the ones with Sarevok) are sketched out. Finally, there will be a big split in the ToB romance-it will be a major choice in the first or second lovetalk, and will then proceed along one of two very distinct tracks. One is, for lack of a better word, normal. The other... is not. But suffice to say it will focus around an idea that's been touched on by mods in the past, but none have ever taken the idea quite as far as I am going to. More than that, I won't say until I announce Darian's ToB section and explanation, but if you *really* want to know, send me a PM.

Darian: Tempest, stop being so cryptic. For the love of Aerdrie Faeyna, you should at least be honest about what exactly you have in mind.

Tempest: Shush. I'm being cryptic for my personal entertainment. And it's entirely up to the player's discretion what happens...

#29 Solstice

Solstice

Fluffy Pink Bunny

• 956 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 10:30 AM

Sorry to hear about the slowdowns. Still, very nice that you're in the home stretch for writing. :)
"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!" -Charname, Baldur's Gate 1

"Is it possible to take Favored Enemy: Forum Poster?" -Someone who shall remain anonymous

#30 Unseelie

Unseelie
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 12:42 AM

Sigh, yes, another lurker un-lurked for you. I'm quite astonished on how fast you work on this mod (even if not fast enough xD) and I can't wait till alpha. Darian seems to be VERY thoroughly planned and made and I just can't wait to lay my paws on him :3
Passion flows from the heart like blood from a wound. Staunch it and it clots and scars. Leave it to run free and it may kill you.

#31 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 08:41 AM

Another one?! :blink: Welcome to SHS!

And I'm afraid Darian will be taking another hiatus for a couple of days. I just picked up Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, so work on Darian will resume after I finish. This will take two, maybe three days, depending on how busy I am. :)

#32 Unseelie

Unseelie
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:32 AM

Another one?! :blink: Welcome to SHS!

And I'm afraid Darian will be taking another hiatus for a couple of days. I just picked up Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, so work on Darian will resume after I finish. This will take two, maybe three days, depending on how busy I am. :)

As long as he won't end up with any lightning-shaped scars on his forhead, I'll be happy. And no, I'm not cracking a whip at you - it's eeerrm..eeee.. a friendly encouragement to work? :new_bottom: :3
Passion flows from the heart like blood from a wound. Staunch it and it clots and scars. Leave it to run free and it may kill you.

#33 minnamaarit

minnamaarit

In recon mission...shush!!

• 429 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 06:39 AM

Ah, it's good to be back in SHS and see that there's still good mods evolving. Darian sounds very promising indeed...promising enough for me to dust my BG discs and start all over again. Keep up the good work, Tempest! :)
*Frak Ferrari. Frak Porsche. Give me Nimbus 2000. Or a levitate spell.*

Posted Image
Mwhahaha!! I has Boo! And since I has Boo, I has Minsc too! Beware, evil buttocks! >:D

#34 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 06:42 AM

Thanks for all the support. :) As I said, I was hoping to be sending out Darian's code for proofreading sometime in the next few days, but real life has had other ideas. Been very busy for the last week-mostly the usual end of semester chaos, but some of it has been self-started. There are about one and a half more sections to code before I call for proofreaders, I'm afraid. And that last full section is a bit of a zinger. :(

#35 Solstice

Solstice

Fluffy Pink Bunny

• 956 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 06:56 AM

Shoot life dead and get back to work on Darian NOW! :unsure: Er... I'm really looking forward to this and will gladly help alpha test, mkay?

#36 Catseye

Catseye

Elf Lover

• 71 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 09:07 PM

I have to say I've been lurking around the Darian threads since you started. It sounds very promising. :D
Just arrived from The Inn of the Prancing Pony

#37 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 01:57 PM

I'm back from college for a couple weeks, so coding should resume as scheduled. I'm going to cross my fingers and hope Darian's ready for proofreading by this time next week.

this time next week? 4:52 tomorrow?

:whistling:

Can hardly wait. Suppose I better get the fix pack and tweaks reinstalled. And maybe the games. Wait, they're there.
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#38 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 02:13 PM

You won't need to install the games-I'm going to send Darian's code files to volunteers for proofreading and basic code-checking. This is my first mod attempt, so I'm expecting severe problems with the code. But once proofreading and code-checking is complete... all that will be left will be to put it all together for Darian's first alpha. :)

#39 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 04:20 PM

But I really ought to install the game if I plan to play it.
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#40 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 06:59 AM

Got another section of the player-initiated stuff coded. Now if only I could get my cat to stop jumping on my keyboard as I type...

You had better get used to it. And learn to minimize the window when you walk away from the computer.

My cat learned that by leaning on the keyboard shelf, he could make it slide out, then by stepping on the keys, he could make the screen fill up with characters. I caught him standing on the keys with his hind legs, swatting at the characters on the monitor with his front ones. Now if I so much as turn my back, I put the computer in standby mode with password protection.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum