• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#21 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 05:52 PM

It is very difficult to draw a line about a list such as this.

Because really, shouldn't character names used in FanFic be included too? Laufey, for one, has had her "Zaerini" (or "Rini") from before most mod characters were even thought of. Not to mention the numerous other original characters all the FanFic authors have created over the years.

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#22 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 06:22 PM

As a general, categorical answer about what should go on this list, I'd have to say:

"If you have used a name in a mod, it should go on this list."

This means joinables, notable non-joinables, and notable villains. By "notable" here, I mean that they make a physical appearance in the game and have a defined personlity. The kind of NPCs that if somebody saw the name, they might think about the mod in question. So, from Gavin's mod, Valeria, the main villain, would make the list, but Gordon, Gavin's brother who is only mentioned in passing, would not.

Don't know about fanfic NPCs, because that could make this list baloon up to unmanagability. But it isn't only my list. If somebody thinks it's worthwhile to include fanfic names, I'd be willing to see them on it. Maybe if I get close to organized at some point, I can start editing the first post so people don't have to thumb through the whole thing. Sounds like a plan.

Other names that should probably be included, from Gavin's mod:
Female: Valeria (villain), Reed, Evie
Male: Bertram (villain), Gustav (villain), Jolun, Darlos

I kind of liked Bertram. Wish he had a longer life expectancy.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#23 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 06:35 PM

As a general, categorical answer about what should go on this list, I'd have to say:

"If you have used a name in a mod, it should go on this list."

This means joinables, notable non-joinables, and notable villains. By "notable" here, I mean that they make a physical appearance in the game and have a defined personlity. The kind of NPCs that if somebody saw the name, they might think about the mod in question. So, from Gavin's mod, Valeria, the main villain, would make the list, but Gordon, Gavin's brother who is only mentioned in passing, would not.

From Arkalian, then:
Female: Fraesyr (Villain)
Male: Paligon (Villain)
Other: Cilidiath (Prominent family name), Toraxephachol ("Torax", ...creature)

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#24 Celestine

Celestine

Elven Maiden

• Modder
  • 4538 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 06:43 PM

Does it include those in Total Conversions? CA has alot of NPCs.

#25 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 06:48 PM

Only if you don't want anybody else to use them by mistake.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods

#26 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 07:08 PM

Illyria (if/when she's finished) also has the following prominent figures featuring in the mod;

Male -
Baran
Kentharil

Female -
Oralle
Saranan

#27 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 08:20 PM

Don't know about fanfic NPCs, because that could make this list baloon up to unmanagability. But it isn't only my list. If somebody thinks it's worthwhile to include fanfic names, I'd be willing to see them on it.

Well, the thing is that I know a lot of FanFic writers would go ballistic if someone ripped off their character names from stories they've been writing for the past 5-7 years.

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#28 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 08:25 PM

It is very difficult to draw a line about a list such as this.

Because really, shouldn't character names used in FanFic be included too? Laufey, for one, has had her "Zaerini" (or "Rini") from before most mod characters were even thought of. Not to mention the numerous other original characters all the FanFic authors have created over the years.

Arcalian from the Attic has a protagonist named Darrian I believe. He's an ex Red Wizard, and as far as I know, he's the author's favorite character over his other Bhaalspawn. See his website here.

I know it's spelled differently and that nothing will be affected by this...but still for future reference so we don't have 3 Darians/Darrians. :)

To add to SConrad's post, Arcalian has been writing this character since 2000.
DO ~SetGlobal("omgBbqRomanceActive","GLOBAL", 2)~

Gibberlings Three - IE Modding Community

#29 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 09:22 PM

To head off the obvious double-takes, I first heard of "Arcalian" over a year after initially creating "Arkalian".

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#30 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 09:29 PM

To head off the obvious double-takes, I first heard of "Arcalian" over a year after initially creating "Arkalian".

I'm sure no one is going to point fingers at you, Azzy :D
DO ~SetGlobal("omgBbqRomanceActive","GLOBAL", 2)~

Gibberlings Three - IE Modding Community

#31 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 10:36 PM

I have difficulties of thinking of any Arkalians as other than males now, having been posting comments to Arkalian's series for years. :) But we have a precedent in Kelsey(Kelsey being used for males and females), so.

Really, though, I don't think it is such a big deal. There are two Xan mods and two Nalia mods, and two Imoen mods(well, one of them very thoughtful :) ), and the cold-blooded slaver in Xan ToB is called Khalid, and it only adds extra spice to the encounter, enraged Jaheira and all. There's a frozen NPC in progress called Dace(see Dace the vampire in Spellhold), too.

And Bioware does this, as well, either because they think it is funny, or simply because they are lazy. Valen in BG2 - Valen in HOTU, Ketta, others...

To me much more uncomfortable are references to the words in my native language: Gavin, for example, very much reminds me of a certain rude Russian word. But there are just so many languages, I wouldn't worry about it, either.

Besides, there's motivation: I am sure the authors themselves would want to create a unique name for their baby, so the cases "Hey, this name Theodur/arabellaesque uses is supercool! I'll grab it!" are going to be pretty rare.

#32 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 01:24 AM

(shrugs) Participation is voluntary. No one says anyone has to use the list, either. More of a convenience for those that want it.

berelinde's mods

#33 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 01:32 AM

Shel is a she :)
(and no, I really can't say more until the mod is released)

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#34 Celestine

Celestine

Elven Maiden

• Modder
  • 4538 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 04:14 AM

Ok, here're some of the NPCs in CA, which is a Total Conversion mod.

Male

Althon
Paraway
Dirbert
Aesdale
Rurik
Rilithar
Blodgett
Vildamyr
Icar
Erky

Female

Fala'stra
Ilhara
Rivian
Chaarna
Candella
Blush
Rihn
Buranta
Shadow

CA has an abundance of NPCs starting with 'R'

Edited by Celestine, 30 April 2007 - 04:23 AM.

#35 -Domi_Ash-

-Domi_Ash-

Posted 30 April 2007 - 04:39 AM

Well, Kivan is already on the list, so all I can contribute are the IWD2 characters' names:

Diriel - male
Hildury - femal
Jaemal - male
Nikosh Bracegirdle - male
Peony - female
Prachi -female
Rizdaer - male
Salomeya - female
Valeero
Sir Wind Nord

#36 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 07:29 AM

Well, the thing is that I know a lot of FanFic writers would go ballistic if someone ripped off their character names from stories they've been writing for the past 5-7 years.

"Ripping off" really only applies if the name was created by the author, though. "Zaerini" might be original, but I'm quite certain "Rini" is not. ("Rupert" certainly isn't original either. :P ) And a name like "Gustav" doesn't make me think of anything BG-related.

I feel that a list like this is a good idea, but I wouldn't add names that are not unique *and* belong to minor NPCs. It could certainly get confusing if there are two joinables called Ahmed, but I really don't think it's a problem if joinable NPC X needs to buy some bananas from "Ahmed the trader" while joinable NPC Y needs to pay a visit to his old fencing teacher, "Ahmed the swift". It's a fact of life that you'll sometimes run into people who have the same name as someone else you know, and I really don't like the idea that no one could use the name Ahmed for anything, EVAR (!!!1!) just because there's an Ahmed with three lines in random mod such-and-such.

#37 -Domi_Ash-

-Domi_Ash-

Posted 30 April 2007 - 08:10 AM

To be honest, I think that repeating names actually add credibility to the setting, seeing that in the real world people do have repetitive names and very often.

#38 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 08:28 AM

I wouldn't worry too much about duplicating names for party non-joinables, but if I were trying to come up with a name for a potential party-joinable NPC, I sure as heck wouldn't pick that somebody else had used. Not if there were a resource that would make it just a simple matter of checking an alphabetized list.

I'll update today's submissions when I get home from work.

berelinde's mods

#39 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 10:20 AM

I wouldn't worry too much about duplicating names for party non-joinables, but if I were trying to come up with a name for a potential party-joinable NPC, I sure as heck wouldn't pick that somebody else had used. Not if there were a resource that would make it just a simple matter of checking an alphabetized list.

It works as a list of names to avoid for new joinables, yes. But it also goes the other way - I might not want to name a new minor NPC after a joinable character, either. With the current list there's no way of knowing if the listed NPCs are joinable or if they're hidden in an alley somewhere and have two lines.

I would like to request separate headings for "major" and "minor" roles, if it's not too much trouble. :)

#40 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 10:26 AM

Not at all. I misunderstood the reason for your question. Later on, I'll go through and separate them out.

berelinde's mods