Photo

Too late for Baldur's Gate?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Poll: Is it ever going to be late for BG? (71 member(s) have cast votes)

What say you?

1. (PAUSE, set Aerie, Nalia and Jan to cast lightning on Firkraag) Wait, what did you just say?? (29 votes [40.85%])

Percentage of vote: 40.85%

2. Nope. (23 votes [32.39%])

Percentage of vote: 32.39%

3. I wouldn't like that, but I myself play it more seldom as each year passes. (18 votes [25.35%])

Percentage of vote: 25.35%

4. Yes, it is. (1 votes [1.41%])

Percentage of vote: 1.41%

5. Baldur's Gate is PREHSTORY! *slurp, slurp* (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Bardess

Bardess

the Eternal Noob

• Modder
  • 483 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 03:55 AM

Beat me, kill, me, but I would vote 3.

"Farewell, Charname, and may Irenicus get you!"

Mazzy to Edwin:
"When science finally locates the center of the planes, I'm sure you'll be taken aback to find that you're not it."

- Author of lil one-day Moddie fox. -

#2 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 05:02 AM

I think it's a combination of 2 and 3.

It's perfectly normal to devote less playing time to it as time passes by. After all, after hours and hours of repeating the experience, even with the wonderful mods that abound, the gaming impact just isn't the same as it was in its early stages when one began to play it.

However, I don't think it's too late. On the contrary, I think this is one of the most durable games out there. The vanilla BG series already had a very decent roleplay value, and the modding community has geometrically increased this attribute.

Anyway, just think of the old arcade games that are still running around on MAME. If those are being played like they are these days, I wouldn't expect BG to go away anytime soon.

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg

#3 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 05:06 AM

Well said, Daulmakan :)

#4 Gabrielle

Gabrielle

Do what thou wilt

• 1567 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 05:18 AM

I do not understand the question. Too late for what?
For all of your BG modding needs: Chosen of Mystra.

This is The End.

#5 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 05:20 AM

Baldur's Gate may be an old game, but it's still my all-time favorite game, irregardless of genre or platform. Other games have come close, but none have the same *feel* as BG. Plain and simple: Baldur's Gate is the standard by which I judge all other rpg's.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#6 Gabrielle

Gabrielle

Do what thou wilt

• 1567 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 05:26 AM

Oh I see. BG will not fade away. It is no longer popular like it used to be, all of those new games with their pretty graphics. All show and no go.

BG2 is what I judge a game's romance if it has one. Both Kotor's and NWN2 didn't even come close to the greatness of BG2's romances. I wouldn't even call them romances.

I may buy and play some of the newer games but games that are old like BG are played many, many times over.
For all of your BG modding needs: Chosen of Mystra.

This is The End.

#7 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 05:37 AM

I have to go with option 3 as well. I hope to play it again, but honestly it's been more than a year since I played through the game last.
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#8 Pain Elemental

Pain Elemental

Always here, just look harder.

• 643 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 05:52 AM

Voted 1, I keep trying the newly released games, but they just miss the impact of BG2.
After an eternity away from you all, I've returned.

#9 Bardess

Bardess

the Eternal Noob

• Modder
  • 483 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 06:05 AM

I got so used to some things and lines in BG2 (especially Irenicus's) that I have to make a huge pause between playing for another time. I played BG1 less, maybe I should return to that next.

Mazzy to Edwin:
"When science finally locates the center of the planes, I'm sure you'll be taken aback to find that you're not it."

#10 Jyzabyl

Jyzabyl

Order of the Radiantly Radiant

• 1468 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 07:54 AM

As long as there are fabulous clever little people out there coming up with new content, BG will stay on my to do list.
True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing. And in knowing that you know nothing, that makes you the smartest of all. Socrates

Not only are female redheads frequently lovely but theirs is a loveliness that suggests both lust and danger, pleasure and violence, and is, therefore, to the male of the species virtually irresistible. Red O red were the tresses of the original femme fatale. Tom Robbins

The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Unless you know anthing about anatomy. In that case the way to a man's heart is through his ribs with a meat cleaver. Miss Jyzzy's Guide to Men.

Xtreme Versatility? Xpress Yourself!

#11 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 08:08 AM

"Aerie, Nalia and Jan in my party, all at once? Casting Lightning in an enclosed space? On Firkraag, who has 65% magic resistance? No way. What are you smoking... ? Though, wait. Hmm, this gives me a mod idea..."

#2 for me - I do not think it will be forgotten. Like Diablo 2 or Myst, it will remain a classic, though with a significantly smaller player base.

#12 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 08:16 AM

As long as I can keep getting it to run on my system, I'll keep playing it (and modding it, most likely).

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#13 Bluenose

Bluenose

The gnome-sage of Ral Worcester

• 1565 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 09:50 AM

I find that I do play it less, so it's option 3 for me. Part of the problem is that it is such a good game that I have played it many times before. That first thrill of discovery can't be recovered no matter what. I won't ever be surprised by core content again, although as long as people are coming out with mods there will still be new things for me to try. It will never leave my hard drive as long as my computer can cope with it.

Back from the brink.

Like RPGs? Like Star Wars? Think combining the two would be fun? Read Darths and Droids, and discover the line "Jar Jar, you're a genius".

These, in the day when heaven was falling,
The hour when earth's foundations fled,
Followed their mercenary calling
And took their wages and are dead.

#14 Delight

Delight
  • 660 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 11:01 AM

Frankly, to me Baldur's Gate was outdated at the moment it came out. It's non-stat affected dialogs were outdated in comparision to those from Fallout, the world was very static and artificial when compared to Ultima 7. Not to mention the linearity...
Taking that into account, I think that it won't be too late as long as people are going to create mods for it.

#15 Bardess

Bardess

the Eternal Noob

• Modder
  • 483 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 11:45 AM

"Aerie, Nalia and Jan in my party, all at once? Casting Lightning in an enclosed space? On Firkraag, who has 65% magic resistance? No way. What are you smoking... ? Though, wait. Hmm, this gives me a mod idea..."

Well, if you cast Lower Resistance on him a couple of times (and you start it while he is not hostile), you will see lightning is an effective spell for him. It hits him twice at a time, I think, because he is so big. That was my brother's tactic. Too bad Lower Resistance is a rare spell (but you can get it for free if you are a sorcerer :) )
I wish these things were discussed more often.

Mazzy to Edwin:

#16 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 12:31 PM

At Sorcerer's Place and Gamebanshee, they used to, and still do. If you use the search function, it's all there, sorcerer's lists, spells, tactics and everything.

#17 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 01:12 PM

Wait, what were you saying? I couldn't hear you over the sound of Pool of Radiance mangling my computer speaker... <_<

Meh, I play old games almost as much as I play "new" ones. BG will be fun as long as there are new mods coming out. It'll be "too late" when the community abandons it.

#18 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 01:20 PM

Meh, I play old games almost as much as I play "new" ones. BG will be fun as long as there are new mods coming out. It'll be "too late" when the community abandons it.

Hear, hear!

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#19 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 03:01 PM

Vilkacis - well said.
I too often find old games more attractive than new ones. I think I can even explain why exactly - because they lack in graphic. Which means I can use my imagination and draw the picture as I see it, not as artist does. Heh, I can imagine how I'll sit at BG after ~10 years and my children will ask me - 'dad, what kind of nightmare you're playing in?'

My vote would be 2, even if I'd prefer 1.

Retired from modding.

#20 IronDragon

IronDragon
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 10:17 AM

Nearly a decade after its release Baldur?s Gate is still played, still talked about, still modded, still the topic of endless fanfic. How many other games can claim half as much? The creators of BG struck gold when they assembled this game. Sadly no one has come close to doing anything this good and this playable again. And given what I hear from the game designers no one is willing to even try.