Photo

DnD Opponent Creation Quandry

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Zoraciel Ivtel

Zoraciel Ivtel
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 04:21 PM

Okay, I've got a party who is going to presently be fighting a goddess trapped in human form with weapons made especially to help kill her. However, I need enough time to try and convince them not to kill her, but I still need her death to be possible. Any idea on how to do stats for her character? She's supposed to be Aphrodite, but was trapped by a demon, who is now masquerading as the goddess and claiming that the goddess is actually the demon. I swear, it does make sense.

Yeah, in any case, I have no idea what to do for her Stats, and whether or not she has a class or anything. I know there are certain manuals with rules for Gods, I just don't have any of them (actually, I should go double check my Book of Exalted Deeds, but I don't think it will quite have this situation outlined). So, any ideas?

#2 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 04:44 PM

Yes, avatars of gods have class(es). Off the top of my head, I think most are 40th-level characters, minimum, with a host of special abilities that are ludicrously powerful. Here is a site with all the 3.5e rules-you'll want the divine rules, which cover avatars and whatnot. For 2E, you might want to look at the stats and abilities of the avatars of Sune and Hanali Celanil for inspiration. However, be warned-avatars are extremely powerful-along the lines of Charname and his/her buddies in ToB, with some very nasty side effects. For example, male beings cannot harm an avatar of Sune. Period.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#3 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 06:13 PM

Here are Aphrodite's avatar stats for 2E, they might give you an idea of what to outline for her:

Aphrodite?s Avatar (wizard 15, bard 10)

Aphrodite?s avatar is a scantily clad woman of incredible beauty. She can call upon the illusion and enchantment/charm schools for her magic.

Str 15 Dex 18 Con 18
Int 18 Wis 18 Cha 20
MV 15 SZ 5? MR 30%
AC 0 HD 15 HP 120
#AT 1 THAC0 5 Dmg 1d4 + (dagger)

Special Att/Def: Aphrodite?s avatar carries a dagger that causes anyone struck by it to save versus spells or be instantly charmed. In addition, upon first seeing the avatar, all men must save versus paralyzation or find themselves unable to attack her ? ever. Finally, Aphrodite?s avatar can cause 1d10 points of damage (and a great deal of physical pain) to anybody trying to harm her simply by waving her hand.

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg

#4 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 06:54 PM

Huh. The permanent effect aside... that's really kind of weak. :blink:

Sune, on the other hand, is completely hax. Ugh!

#5 Zoraciel Ivtel

Zoraciel Ivtel
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 08:41 PM

Thank you! I just need to figure out a way to get this to suit a 10th level party...oh well, I got myself into this situation in the first place, so I'll figure it out. I think I can just tweak those avatar of Aphrodite stats a bit...hmm, I'll figure it out. But thank you all, and if you get any more ideas, please post them!

#6 Solstice

Solstice

Fluffy Pink Bunny

• 956 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 08:54 PM

Huh. The permanent effect aside... that's really kind of weak.

Well, Sune *is* a greater power on the deity charts... though an all-female BG2 party might be ready to take her down a peg by ToB...

But I agree that the Aphrodite avatar looks very weak, aside from that permanent debuff.

Maybe try taking a base of a nymph, adding on character levels (bard would seem most appropriate), enhancing all of her attributes, and giving her additional bonuses with charm effects?
"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!" -Charname, Baldur's Gate 1

"Power corrupts. And absolute power is actually pretty neat." -Tom Clancy

"Is it possible to take Favored Enemy: Forum Poster?" -Someone who shall remain anonymous

#7 Zoraciel Ivtel

Zoraciel Ivtel
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 09:06 PM

Maybe try taking a base of a nymph, adding on character levels (bard would seem most appropriate), enhancing all of her attributes, and giving her additional bonuses with charm effects?

That actually could work very well, since it would be easier to tailor to my party. I may do the same thing for the demon, except with a succubus base....

By the way, if I disappear of the face of this forum, my party has probably killed me for tricking them into working for a demon. :twisted:

#8 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 09:12 PM

Huh. The permanent effect aside... that's really kind of weak. :blink:

Well, Aphrodite is really not a goddess of combat in any way. And neither is she that powerful in magic capability terms. Those stats bear in mind a greek mythology setting, and I think they reflect well her traits and personality. Thing is, neither of these things is very compatible with the usual mid to high level trained-to-kill party, nor with the equivalent power of the gods of the AD&D pantheon with the same portfolio, such as Sune. Unlike her, for instance, Aphrodite is an intermediate goddess.

Anyway, she's not fighting Sune, but a level 10 party. For example, using those very stats, if the males fail their saves, that's a tough punch there (you can even impose a saving throw penalty, per the rule of mage level in the high levels campaign). The wave of hand power can also be potentially very powerful, depending on how you understand it to work. What if it can be employed each round? Or given that is is merely a wave of hand, you could asume it acts first initiative wise, or that the pain persists for a few rounds (so in other words = party spell interrupted).

The nymph idea could also work well.

#9 Zoraciel Ivtel

Zoraciel Ivtel
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 09:15 PM

Ack, now you've got me wondering who would win if the greek pantheon got into a massive cage match...

#10 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 09:53 PM

Ack, now you've got me wondering who would win if the greek pantheon got into a massive cage match...

Zeus.

Poseidon or Hades go in 2nd or 3rd place.

After that, it's a toss. I would bet either one of Hera, Athena, or Hephaestus.

This is the gods pantheon only. Including the titans and the other monsters and entities the results may vary. :D

#11 cmorgan

cmorgan
  • Modder
  • 2301 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 07:33 AM

Agreed. Using the classics, rather than the modern interpretations, Hera would be reduced to twisting things instead of a direct match, and no one could touch Zeus. Take him out of the picture, and you have a different story - hard to say unless you postulate alliances. An alliance/tag team amongst the warrior gods and goddesses would be a powerul team...

I think Aphrodite's stats are immaterial. I would consider removing the "combat" equation and adding the powers of her portfolio to the character - all combat based on will checks and saves.

I can see the following "attacks" that are portfolio related - adjusted from the above description -

Aura of Aphrodite - Permanent Dire Charm on all male PCs within visual range. PCs will protect her avatar with their lives. Successful save (at -5) results in 1d4 rounds of "stun" for the male PC in question. Effects linger until the Goddess removeds them - successful destruction of her Avatar is unlikely to win that boon from her. Aftermath problem for roleplaying - what does the converted Aphrodite worshiper do to the people who banishe his God?
(potential extension - why just males? Perhaps there is a similar jealousy aura.)

Invocation of Lust - Attack, Once per round, male or female, target must make Will save or be distracted by powerful lustful thoughts; concentration checks at -4, no dexterity bonus to AC, character is assumed to be "flat footed"

If you have to have stats,
BardSong abilities as Bard 20. dexterity of at least 20, strength very high, constitution very high,

Edited by cmorgan, 24 June 2007 - 07:35 AM.

#12 Zoraciel Ivtel

Zoraciel Ivtel
  • 94 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 08:56 AM

Ack...I just realized a rather strange problem with this. 2/3 of the male characters in my party are possessed by the demon trying to kill Aphrodite...So can she charm them, or would it be some kind of oppossed check between the strength of her charm and the demons will save?

#13 vilkacis

vilkacis

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 11:17 AM

Ack...I just realized a rather strange problem with this. 2/3 of the male characters in my party are possessed by the demon trying to kill Aphrodite...So can she charm them, or would it be some kind of oppossed check between the strength of her charm and the demons will save?

I don't think I have ever seen any specific rules for "fighting a god while possessed by a demon", but I think it would depend on the nature of the possession, and of the demon.

If the demon is fully in control of the body, I'd just use the demon's regular stats (if it's immune to such effects, she can't charm it; if it's not, use the demon's normal will save).

On the other hand, if the characters are still "themselves" and just carry part of the demon's spirit inside them, you could use the highest save, or the average of the two, or just rule that the demon's presence grants a "plus X" bonus on the save. And again, if the demon is immune to charm, you could still rule that the immunity extends to the character as well.

...or, if the character is fighting the demon's influence, it might even take a penalty. :wacko:

#14 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 06:49 PM

If you have to have stats,
BardSong abilities as Bard 20. dexterity of at least 20, strength very high, constitution very high,

I would expect 25 CHA, given her portfolio of love and beauty, implicitly including a very high capacity for mental manipulation (maybe a serious save penalty to charm-type or illusion spells her avatar casts?). DEX and CON nearly that (she's effectively the goddess of sexual desire, and hence sex, euphemistically translated as "love", as I understand it).

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#15 Zoraciel Ivtel

Zoraciel Ivtel
  • 94 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 07:36 PM

Ack...no not really, I just keep starting things with ack.

What it is with the demon is that she doesn't have permanent control, but one character is cursed to have to do what she orders 3x per day (long story) and the other character....well, she just floats around in his head, but can force him to take opposed will saves to try and gain control.

#16 vilkacis

vilkacis

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 11:33 PM

What it is with the demon is that she doesn't have permanent control, but one character is cursed to have to do what she orders 3x per day (long story) and the other character....well, she just floats around in his head, but can force him to take opposed will saves to try and gain control.

In that case, I'd have the first character save VS charm as usual, but also let the demon's "3x per day" control override the charm effect. For the second character... well, maybe give him a slight (say, +2) bonus to his save to resist control if he's charmed? (But if the demon takes control, that still overrides the charm effect.)

"Control" is a stronger effect than "charm", generally speaking.

#17 cmorgan

cmorgan
  • Modder
  • 2301 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 03:47 AM

To tell the truth, you have a tough situation here - if you are really into sticking by the rules while still giving a balanced encounter for L10 characters. You might try getting feedback from Tempest, as he has indicated one of his long-term PnP campaigns is epic-level, with gods, goddesses, interplanar travel, etc. You might also try a "plot device" - an anti-celestial field that cuts off some or all demonic posession or celestial abilities, etc. - the 3.5DMG is not really going to be easy to use to come up with something you are happy with.

If I were the Incarnation of the Goddess of Love (ok, putting aside the silliness of that statement) I would have brother and sister gods to call on for help, and powerful solars and planetars to aid me, and a whole ton of delicious Kevin Sorbo (Hercules) types to cater to me and rub my feet, and perhaps I would also have experience with my trickster cousin, so be prepared to deal with possessions - after all, as Goddess of Love, I often posess others to encourage (erm..) action, and assume other forms for the same purpose...

#18 Bluenose

Bluenose

The gnome-sage of Ral Worcester

• 1565 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 04:46 AM

Given the power level of an avatar you almost have to have an exceptionally powerful demon - probably on of the demon lords/ladies (Malcanthet, Queen fo the Succubi, perhaps) - to be anything more than a smear on the floor. Since watching powerful NPCs fighting is about as interesting for players as watching paint dry, you probably need to scale back the power levels.

My suggestion would be to use an Aspect, rather than an avatar. The abilities would be similar but much less powerful, so there's less chance that your players will suddenly find themselves facing a save-or-die situation when anything lower than a 20 is a die. I'd try something like a human, with the half-celestial template, and 12-15 levels of Bard or Sorcerer.

The best bet for a demon might be a succubus, with class levels as a bard. Alternatively there was a recent issue of Dragon magazine which gave information on a more advanced form of succubus, so that might be suitable too. Possession, or at least mind control, is a somewhat rare ability in demons but it is something a succubus might be good at.

Back from the brink.

Like RPGs? Like Star Wars? Think combining the two would be fun? Read Darths and Droids, and discover the line "Jar Jar, you're a genius".

These, in the day when heaven was falling,
The hour when earth's foundations fled,
Followed their mercenary calling
And took their wages and are dead.

#19 vilkacis

vilkacis

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 05:29 AM

Eh. This particular avatar is only a Wiz15/Bard10 with (comparatively) minor special abilities, I really don't think it looks that bad for several 10th-level PCs and a demon. Heck, I don't think a top-tier "standard" fiendish or celestial creature (like, solar or balor-level) would have much trouble taking it out, one on one.

Sune's avatar would splatter them, though. (Hax! Hax, I say!)

[Edit: wiz 15, bard 10, not the other way around. D'oh.]

Edited by vilkacis, 25 June 2007 - 05:31 AM.

#20 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 12:31 PM

Better than the ultimate confrontation I have planned for my friends' main party... taking on Shar herself in the Negative Energy Plane, with her at well over her normal limits of power-she's imprisoned and siphoning off the power of Lathander and Mystra, effectively wielding not only her own power, but also the power of two other greater deities, and my friends are going to have to fight her on her home plane (our campaign world is only based on the Forgotten Realms), but from the sounds of it, Zora's situation is nowhere near that kind of confrontation.

Sorry for rambling. I would certainly give Aphrodite a retinue of forces in her own right, such as permanently dire charmed males with fanatical morale and imperviousness to hostile charm effects. I'd also give her the power to cast dire charm at will, as well as eagle's splendor, charm person, and maybe some other enchantment spells, with a forced -2 or more to to her target's saves. A nasty trick I've employed in the past that might work well for you: when Aphrodite casts a spell against someone, regardless of whether the target makes their save or not, they enter a state of rapture. This completely masks their hitpoints-as the DM, you make a note of their current hitpoints, and subtract from that as normal whenever they take damage, but you hide their hit points from the player. The character feels absolutely no pain and no awareness of the danger-they keep going in a state of bliss until they abruptly fall over dead, bleeding from myriad wounds they never felt.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri