Photo

Alternative BG2 NPC Portraits

• Please log in to reply
271 replies to this topic

#61 Vizeteufel

Vizeteufel
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 01:02 PM

Hmm <_< I like the last but one bests. He definitely looks more asian in the newest picture, but the shading is somewhat less detailed.

I don't know what you think, but I'd love to see him with eyeshadow a lá Jack Sparrow :woot: Would make him look even more roguish :ph34r: And his eyes would be looking less small ^^

"Maturity is no constant condition, it's trying to make right decisions every day anew."

#62 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 01:03 PM

Awesome Yoshimo. :wub: Only complaint is that it feels like his skin may be a bit too "white". I know that people from Asia come in about as many different colours as us Euro-peons, but he's not the right tone to register as OMG AZN when I look at him. Just a little darker and a little warmer orange-ish would do it.

Posted Imageyoshi.jpg

(Also, note to self, do not attempt for find reference material by image searching "asian" again without enabling safe search first. Wikipedia much better. omfg.)

[edit]

I don't know what you think, but I'd love to see him with eyeshadow a lá Jack Sparrow :woot: Would make him look even more roguish :ph34r: And his eyes would be looking less small ^^

Oh, but why stop there?

OMG_WTF_ARGH.jpg

He's... going to participate in a kabuki play. Or something.

...I'm sorry! :crying: Please don't hurt me... too much...

Edited by vilkacis, 09 July 2007 - 01:15 PM.

#63 Vizeteufel

Vizeteufel
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 01:19 PM

Awesome Yoshimo. :wub: Only complaint is that it feels like his skin may be a bit too "white". I know that people from Asia come in about as many different colours as us Euro-peons, but he's not the right tone to register as OMG AZN when I look at him. Just a little darker and a little warmer orange-ish would do it.

Wow, nice work there :woot: His skin really was kind of pale. Now, if he just had some eyeshadow :D

(Also, note to self, do not attempt for find reference material by image searching "asian" again without enabling safe search first. Wikipedia much better. omfg.)

Heh, I could have warned you :P With filtering on, Google has big troubles finding stuff related to the term "asian" that isn't erm.. of dubious content. Sad enough -_-

Oh, but why stop there? He's... going to participate in a kabuki play. Or something.

Dammit, dude :lol: Overkill!

Edited by Vizeteufel, 09 July 2007 - 01:22 PM.

"Maturity is no constant condition, it's trying to make right decisions every day anew."

#64 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 01:26 PM

@vilkacis: really good one on the right. His hair might still seem too unruly, when compared to Yoshimo's, but he's recognizable.

#65 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 02:53 PM

I think his hair may still look at little too "European''-ish.

The rest looks good.
DO ~SetGlobal("omgBbqRomanceActive","GLOBAL", 2)~

Gibberlings Three - IE Modding Community

#66 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 02:58 PM

vilkacis, you horrible horrible man. :hug: :lol: !! But the first one looks very very good, thank you! I'll work on Yoshimo a bit more tomorrow. I'm afraid I've come down with a flue, and I've got fever. So it's sleepy time for me soon!

Ace, Kulyok - I think I'll leave his hair like this. I can't please everyone, especially when I would like to please myself at the same time. (That sounded really dirty, at least to my feverish mind.)

Edited by Ilmatar, 09 July 2007 - 02:59 PM.

Ilmatar's portraits for the Baldur's Gate series ¤ | ¤ | ¤ Ahem. Ilmatar =/= Ilmater. ¤ | ¤ | ¤ deviantART gallery
Grunting is a perfectly acceptable reaction to being struck with a blunt instrument. -berelinde
And, just out of curiosity, my dear, what *are* you wearing? :D - Tempest to me.

#67 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 04:08 PM

Heh, well I don't think it was about personally pleasing myself and kulyok, but more about us giving you suggestions to make the portraits more realistic. Thus, the input you asked for. ;) The portrait looks incredible...the suggestion was just me putting in my two cents.

Edited by theacefes, 09 July 2007 - 04:21 PM.

#68 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 08:08 PM

I like the portrait both with the more ivory skin and with vilkacis's more amber skin. No eyeliner, please. His eyes are perfect now, and adding kohl around them would just mess it up.

As for the hair, many Asians have thick, straight hair. The portrait conveys that. I prefer the unruly, tousled look for Yoshimo. Pleasanly roguish.

I love the shading on the metal accents!

(heckled enough earlier to just relax and enjoy the pics, now)

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#69 Galsic

Galsic

Nominal Member

• 384 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 08:19 PM

Huh...I never knew there was such a noticeable difference between Caucasian hair and Asian hair. Shows how observant I am.

All I can say is your portraits are AWESOME, Ilmatar! Great job, so far :) .
(I like parentheses.)

#70 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 08:34 PM

Heh, I suppose I just nit pick because my group of friends in school were primarily Asian. :)

No matter. It really does look great, as your art tends to be, Ilmatar.

Edited by theacefes, 09 July 2007 - 08:39 PM.

#71 twetwe123

twetwe123
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:56 PM

*jumps, waves hands* I'm learning modding!! Though I've only got a banterless NPC with 4 voices lines into the game, next step is banter/interjections then love talks. I've been thinking about a Yoshimo romance mod too, it'd add deliciously to the betrayal scene.

Also - yummy Yoshi. I prefer those pictures to the original portrait, heh. LOVE the hair (I say this thoroughly too much. Oh well).

#72 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:56 PM

Heh, I suppose I just nit pick because my group of friends in school were primarily Asian.

Yes, same here - thinking about Asian guys and... um, never mind. :) By the way, yesterday I was sitting at the suchi restaurant next to a Japanese pair, and a guy did have tousled hair, but it was different, somehow.

(Anyway, if you want to put a "no suggestions, please - just enjoy the portraits", I'm okay with just enjoying, too. :) )

All in all, I think drawing all portraits in a different style(including Solar's, Bodhi's and so on) is a neat idea - then they would all be in the same style. Unfortunately, this doesn't take custom NPCs into account.

#73 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 09 July 2007 - 11:05 PM

I am really sorry, but he still doesn't look Asian. The shading of the skin is quite good.If you want him to look more Japanese like he needs bigger almond shaped eyes. The hair is well done but very thick. Asian hair tends to be fine and silky. I really think the first one you posted looks like a great picture for Edwin. Sorry Ilmatar to say anything negative. I can guess how much work you put into this picture.

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70's and 80's. Experience AD&D's greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Visit our homepage at http://classicadventuresmod.com/

#74 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 12:55 AM

*chokes* Edwin?? I... have to disagree.

I immediately recognised it as Yoshimo, and absolutely adore it. Perhaps have a go at making his eyes more 'almond-shaped', but aside from that, looks great to me.

Unfortunately, thin and silky hair is extremely hard to render - this looks fine. :)

#75 Clary

Clary
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 01:06 AM

The hair is well done but very thick. Asian hair tends to be fine and silky.

Well, not necessarily. At least, I know I and all my Asian relatives have really thick, wavy hair. (I wish it were fine and silky, believe you me!) There's a reason that super-expensive hair straightening process was invented in Japan, if you ask me.

I think it may only be the light blondish highlights that are throwing people off. Maybe if they were slightly darker? But overall, the portrait looks fantastic. I can recognize him as Yoshimo fine. ^_^

#76 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 03:26 AM

A new approach on the hair highlights, fixed skin tone agaaaain and made eyes slightly bigger. After all this work on Yoshimo I would be so ready to make a romance for him. :D

yoshimoL5.jpg

Ilmatar's portraits for the Baldur's Gate series ¤ | ¤ | ¤ Ahem. Ilmatar =/= Ilmater. ¤ | ¤ | ¤ deviantART gallery
Grunting is a perfectly acceptable reaction to being struck with a blunt instrument. -berelinde
And, just out of curiosity, my dear, what *are* you wearing? :D - Tempest to me.

#77 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 03:53 AM

:wub:

After all this work on Yoshimo I would be so ready to make a romance for him. :D

After all that work on Yoshimo I think we have more than enough people who are ready to play it.

Who's next? :D

#78 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 04:02 AM

Heh, looks like we really should start thinking about the Yoshimo romance seriously. Anygays, one more Cernd fix. Don't know who's next yet. You'll see soon enough!

cerndL4.jpg

#79 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 06:33 AM

Heh, looks like we really should start thinking about the Yoshimo romance seriously. Anygays,

:unsure:

As for somewhat useful comment. I think the portrait for Yoshi looks much better now. Congratulations, simply fantastic. I also like that he has only one sword instead of two. I mean really why'd they give him two if he specializes in using one weapon?

Cernd looks good, but i don't know. It still looks like his shoulders are uneven. Could just be me though.
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#80 Delight

Delight
  • 660 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 08:47 AM

A new approach on the hair highlights, fixed skin tone agaaaain and made eyes slightly bigger. After all this work on Yoshimo I would be so ready to make a romance for him. :D

yoshimoL5.jpg

He doesn't look like Yoshimo.