Alternative BG2 NPC Portraits

• Please log in to reply
271 replies to this topic

#81 Isilven

Isilven

DANNY TREJO, DUKE OF THE WESTERN LOWLANDS

• 1236 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 09:03 AM

A new approach on the hair highlights, fixed skin tone agaaaain and made eyes slightly bigger. After all this work on Yoshimo I would be so ready to make a romance for him. :D

He doesn't look like Yoshimo.

Delight, please go read one of the many many many Pinned or Stickied threads on "Helpful Criticism".

His hair DOES look silky! Ilmatar, you are teh genius! ^_^ I wanna romance him too now...

hlyeo.jpg

Inkosazana

"You just want them to be your panties, you dirty little girl!" -Ilmatar and Kellen
"Endure. In enduring, grow strong." -The Third Circle of Zerthimon

#82 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 09:06 AM

Delight - just like Isilven said, I would indeed be grateful if you told me *why* he doesn't look like Yoshimo, or what would make him look more like him. I do want you people to remember that these really are *alternative* portraits, and I want to take a new approach to these characters. There wouldn't be any mind in copying their original portraits.

Ilmatar's portraits for the Baldur's Gate series ¤ | ¤ | ¤ Ahem. Ilmatar =/= Ilmater. ¤ | ¤ | ¤ deviantART gallery
Grunting is a perfectly acceptable reaction to being struck with a blunt instrument. -berelinde
And, just out of curiosity, my dear, what *are* you wearing? :D - Tempest to me.

#83 Jazhara7

Jazhara7
  • 715 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 01:54 PM

A new approach on the hair highlights, fixed skin tone agaaaain and made eyes slightly bigger. After all this work on Yoshimo I would be so ready to make a romance for him. :D

Oh gods, he's perfect! But, uh...I hate to say it, but he still looks like he has a rash on his ear. :blink:

Also, I'd still say that his lower lip is too shiny, though it is a little bit better on this screen. Seriously, it looks as if he has some kind of lacquer there. :ph34r:

Otherwise, I love it!

- :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Hey, are you hungry?

I Hate Elminster!
(proud member of the We Hate Elminster club)

#84 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 07:19 PM

Looks good!
DO ~SetGlobal("omgBbqRomanceActive","GLOBAL", 2)~

Gibberlings Three - IE Modding Community

#85 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

Living on Wings of Dreams

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 05:32 AM

Okay this might this computer, but I have three very pinkish spots at his chin (him = latest Yoshimo picture), which is unnatural for any race. I think they ought to go.... or am I the only one seeing them...

Still modding the Mod for the Wicked... It is a big project you know... And I got sidetracked (several times) a bit... sorry.
However, as we all know, Evil never really sleeps.

Sentences marking (my) life:

Winds of change... Endure them, and in Enduring grow Stronger
It takes a fool to look for logic in a man's heart
Never question the sanity of the insane
The Harmony of Life is Chaos
Living on Wings of Dreams

(1st march 2009) SHS women over me:
Kat: if there were more guys that looked like you out here, people's offspring wouldnt be so damn ugly
Noctalys: you are adorable :P

~~ I love it, and I am humbled! Yay! ~~

#86 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 05:55 AM

Okay this might this computer, but I have three very pinkish spots at his chin (him = latest Yoshimo picture), which is unnatural for any race. I think they ought to go.... or am I the only one seeing them...

Iiii do think that's just you, or your monitor. No pinkish spots here! :blink:

Ilmatar's portraits for the Baldur's Gate series ¤ | ¤ | ¤ Ahem. Ilmatar =/= Ilmater. ¤ | ¤ | ¤ deviantART gallery
Grunting is a perfectly acceptable reaction to being struck with a blunt instrument. -berelinde
And, just out of curiosity, my dear, what *are* you wearing? :D - Tempest to me.

#87 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 06:01 AM

That kind of thing varies from computer to computer, depending on the user's brightness/contrast settings, and also if they have adjusted the "hue/saturation," if their monitors are so equipped.

At work, everything looks incredibly dark, but at home, it looks normal.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#88 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 08:43 PM

Iiii do think that's just you, or your monitor. No pinkish spots here! :blink:

I see them too. They don't show in his first pic, if it means anything.

Very nice work, although I believe he has far too much hair in comparison to his default portrait (he has long hair, but clear balding spots in his forehead).

Jaheira's expression is just awesome. Fits her perfectly.

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg

#89 Jazhara7

Jazhara7
  • 715 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 09:00 AM

I see the spots too, though they're not as glaringly obvious as the ones on the ear.

Though I guess they won't really be visible in the tiny portraits in-game. But maybe on the larger one in the profile? I don't know.

- :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Hey, are you hungry?

I Hate Elminster!
(proud member of the We Hate Elminster club)

#90 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 09:15 AM

Well in the game the image format will be different. When all the portraits are done, I will resize them again and prolly do minor adjusting, then save them in the correct format and dump them in a big .rar file! So I'll take care that the final versions for the game do not have the dots.

Thanks for mentioning it!

#91 -Domi_Ash-

-Domi_Ash-

Posted 13 July 2007 - 01:08 PM

Interesting interpretations, for sure. Cernd so far is my favorite. I'll be with the group who would be interested in seeing a slick-haired version of Yoshimo. I guess, I'm just thinking of him as a smooth guy in every aspect.

#92 Vizeteufel

Vizeteufel
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 10:51 AM

You know, there's something about the Jaheira picture I still don't like. Her golden circlet. I doesn't look equally thick. The parts going over her shoulders seem to be thinner than the rest. I also find it's position rather strange, hanging over her collarbones and all that. Doesn't look right, like a strange mix of a chain and a neckring :P
In this picture (by the same marvelous artist ^_^) http://www.deviantar...ation/53533685/ it looks much better, like an actual (and pretty) neckring :)

Your opinions?

"Maturity is no constant condition, it's trying to make right decisions every day anew."

#93 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 10:53 AM

Well, I hate to break it to you, but I made it on purpose so that the part on the front would be thicker than the part going around her neck. :D You think I should change it? My dreams of becoming a jewellery designer aren't going too well it seems! :lol: ;)

#94 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 03:43 AM

Yes, I'm still working on these! :D Here is a very unfinished Imoen, just to show that she's going to be... something like this. I wanted her to look happier than in her original portrait. I'm thinking if I should include the scar or not.
imoen2.jpg

EDIT: I think I should crop it a bit to bring the face closer and bigger...

Edited by Ilmatar, 31 July 2007 - 03:44 AM.

#95 Dirt_Squirrel

Dirt_Squirrel
  • 552 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 05:42 AM

Heehee, it looks like Immy has put on a few *extra* pounds!!   :D
Knowledge is Power, and power corrupts, so study hard and be Evil!

I'm so good that, if I didn't already exist, someone would invent me!

#96 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 05:45 AM

Really? :blink: Could you be more precise, and if it is a bad thing or not?

Oh and Dirt Squirrel: I deleted the double post. :)

Edited by Ilmatar, 31 July 2007 - 05:46 AM.

#97 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 06:02 AM

Also been working on Viconia for a LONG time. Her face has been really problematic, and I think I've got the proportions right now. Somehow I still feel like throwing this to the trash bin.... Maybe she'll look better when I get her hair and clothes done, and added some highlights.

viconia1.jpg

#98 EvaineDian

EvaineDian
  • Validating
  • 211 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 06:21 AM

Really? :blink: Could you be more precise, and if it is a bad thing or not?

I think it's because of the shading on the neck. The fact that the shading looks like horizontal rings gives me the impression that she has a double chin. I think the part from the middle to the right could do with some more finer shading. But you said that she's not finished, anyway!

I really love her face! She looks so friendly and nice, but I can very well imagine that she's also mischievous.
She looks a bit cross-eyed, though, I think it's her left eye which is a little off. Personally, I would also change her haircolour to a deeper pink, but that's just my preference. The shading of her hair is really good already!

Zooming in sounds good to me. Otherwise you might not see any details in the 38x60 resolution.

#99 EvaineDian

EvaineDian
  • Validating
  • 211 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 06:27 AM

Also been working on Viconia for a LONG time. Her face has been really problematic, and I think I've got the proportions right now. Somehow I still feel like throwing this to the trash bin.... Maybe she'll look better when I get her hair and clothes done, and added some highlights.

Her eye is very pretty.
The problem I have with your Viconia is that you don't see much of her. I think it would have been better to do a frontal portrait, not a profile. I would like to see who I romance. :)

#100 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 06:47 AM

I like Viconia. Maybe a little added red color on the lips, though.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum