• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#1 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 08:16 PM

Sure, we have a thread for reporting bugs. (Please post them in there, not here.)

In this thread, let's think of stuff that will be nice to expand the BP unique experience.

My first request is that we have more developers for the mod, so that if one or more go away, there will still be active updates. :P

Edited by Azazello, 06 July 2007 - 10:33 AM.

#2 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:37 PM

I second Azazello's wish. Namely, I wish for pro5 to become one such... :whistling:

#3 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 12:01 AM

I think a team here to continue develop BP is a good idea. We need a team leader, my first choice is Horred and then seanas. Mainly because I think they understand the mod the best. I still think there is much life in BP and room to grow. I don't know if Horred is still interested in BP modding/has the time and I don't know if seanas has the time. Things change and I fully understand that people move to new things. If anyone once to help with BP v178 please post here or PM.

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#4 Nugrud

Nugrud
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 02:16 AM

Maintainers would be indeed best wished ;) Room to grow? Could it be: porting the rest of Tactics, Deeper SoA and e.g. Improved Battles? Would it be ever possible?

#5 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 04 July 2007 - 03:11 AM

Personally, I don't even think that there is so much room for growing now. Big Picture seems to me pretty much complete, as Horred once also stated (there was a matter of converting creatures' XP values but that's it...).

What is urgent is to fix those bugs that exist.

I doubt Horred is interested at all, having been not active on Big Picture for many months now.

Seanas might be interested but he obviously has not the time to do much good at the moment.

The person I wished most for is pro5 because I know that he's a amazing bughunter/bugfixer and he has already experience with AI modding. :cheers:

#6 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 04:28 AM

Personally, I don't even think that there is so much room for growing now. Big Picture seems to me pretty much complete, as Horred once also stated (there was a matter of converting creatures' XP values but that's it...).

Oh No, Horred had plans for a bunch of his own stuff to be added to the mod!! He put it on hold to make BP-BGT along time ago. I do think he has burned out on BG modding and moved on to other things (He is always welcomed back though). seanas posted in the work room on June 21, but I think more out a sense of duty than really wanting to mod BP ( I hope I am wrong). KD has been doing a bunch of great work updating the Mods as well as making them work together. To continue the work and mission of BP needs more than just bug fixes. I know Horred wanted to do more 'fun' modding than converting creatures' XP valus and stop the overwriting that BP still does. For BP v178 we should work to kill the bugs (I really think this will be done), but I don't know if we will find someone with the knowledge and desire to continue the work of BP

Salk, I would love to see pro5 as part of the team. Does he still Mod/play BG? I have not seen him post in along while.

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#7 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 05:50 AM

I started this thread because I wondered if people, over the years, wanted BP to do more/other things than it does now. I've been flipping thru some of the older threads and I agree that horred's last view was that BP is as good as it's gonna get. As a tactics mod, is there really much more that can be coded that hasn't been coded before?

So I guess I'm saying, thread closed.

Onward...
The development team is, and will always be: Senior - horred, Lead - seans, Others - ?
Is there some reason why only one person can be the developer? Can we not do a collaborative bugfixing, like in the other mods? Who is in charge of rolling changes into new versions?

#8 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 04 July 2007 - 06:01 AM

Surely Horred had plans for expanding Big Picture but realistically speaking, the best we can get to is to remove bugs from version 177.

Some of them have been already removed thanks to fixes proposed in the bugs' thread (I incorporated some of the in my local built) and are so easy to implement (I am a modding illiterate so if I could, everyone can) that I have been wondering why a version 177.1 or something has never been released.

Of course, there would still be major bugs to hunt but still it would be already an improvement over the current version.

Pro5 has not posted for quite some time. Ronin has also announced at the SCS forum that he will not even have BGT installed at least untill next year.

So these two modders I had hopes for for the legacy of BP are probably not going to be part of this.

About Horred and seanas, I share the same feelings Chev has. We are at stalemate and the future doesn't look bright.

But hopes is just what we BP users have left... :cheers:

Edited by Salk, 04 July 2007 - 06:03 AM.

#9 Nugrud

Nugrud
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 09:46 AM

You know what else came to my mind? Translations. Let's say there are Polish translations of Tactics and Ascension, would it be easy to "transport" them to BP and translate the rest? I haven't heard anyone to do so yet, maybe its a lot more work then it seems.

EDIT: I was wrong. I must investigate it.

French translators for BP are independant from La couronne de cuivre forum. We're working by e-mails and this translation is still in progress. All the strings about Tactics, Ascension and those of the original game have been replaced in .tra files, after a huge proofreading and an adaptation for a female PC.

Edited by Nugrud, 04 July 2007 - 12:49 PM.

#10 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 07:13 AM

I love the idea of trying to keep BP alive and thriving. I am pretty new to a lot of these mods and I have only played BP 177 once. Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to make it a BIG collaborative effort involving a lot of modders and modding noobs at SHS to participate. Maybe if we can all come together and figure out what we want to see more of and what we liked in 177 we can all contribute a little. I would like to be involved but I am a newb (where there's a will, there's a way :coolthumb: ) Or maybe it's wishful thinking? :doh:
Thanks all,
Hoppy
?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

Posted Image The Definitive Guide to Trolls

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#11 Rubberduck

Rubberduck
  • 171 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 11:21 AM

Guys, you all did an excellent job 'til now. But it's my personal opinion that one should first finish the work started before going on and develop something new. The biggest or greatest thing bp modders can do right now is to bring out a stable and (nearly) bugfree version.

Don't get me wrong. I tried out several mods throughout the years and i guess i'll keep on doing so in the future but i always wanted to play a bgt (bgt-bp) game with no flaws, no bugs and no clua-fighting. The goal should not be what is possible to squench out the engine but to create a smooth and perfectly running game/mod-experience.

Please keep on working. I'll take anything as long as you keep this game alive :cheers:

I may point out that this alien from Bavaria (not exactly from but living in) may be a constructive addition to your team. What do you think, Ronin? :D

#12 ronin

ronin
  • Modder
  • 2114 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 12:46 PM

I just hired some help at work so I will probably have some time for BP Bug fixing, no more 60 -70 hour weeks.

@salk.... I will have time in the next couple of weeks to install BGT to get the bugs worked out of SCS.

I would say no to new content for BP until v178 is released with the current bugs fixed.

#13 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 01:41 PM

Hey ronin, get your new workers to start coding on v178. We need more brains. :lol:

#14 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 12:41 AM

Oh yes, v178 should be killing the bugs!!! The wishlist should be for v180 or v200.

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#15 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 06 July 2007 - 03:17 AM

I absolutely agree with those who believe that v178 should only aim to bug fixing.

By the way, it's great to see you again on the horse, ronin... (no intentional reference to Chev's avatar :P ) :cheers:

Edited by Salk, 06 July 2007 - 03:19 AM.

#16 --Bereth Darkides--

--Bereth Darkides--

Posted 06 July 2007 - 06:24 AM

NO stop this already guys and girls....

What we need to do is FINISH what has been started, (otherwise we'll be waiting for v.9 then v.10 etc etc etc etc..)
If you want to add more stuff later. incorporate it into a finshed product of BP v 8 and make it an ADD ON, work the bugs within the add on only...

not rocket science, like SO MANY OTHERS, I will not wait any longer for yet another version (after v8).
HINT: even the modders are getting sick of working on BP and other add ons, so if you expect them to service you, think again!

#17 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:46 PM

Bereth,

have you read carefully the thread? We are speaking of a new version aiming exclusively to removing bugs from version 177.

#18 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 10:58 PM

HINT: even the modders are getting sick of working on BP and other add ons, so if you expect them to service you, think again!

Bereth Darkides, please don't put words into peoples mouths. You cannot say that, since unless you are one of the Modders themselves, you don't know how they feel. If they're sick of working on BP, that's up to them to say - not you. In future, please put a little bit of thought into how you phrase your posts, because they could come across as possibly a little offensive to some.

#19 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 08:37 PM

Bereth Darkides, please don't put words into peoples mouths. You cannot say that, since unless you are one of the Modders themselves, you don't know how they feel. If they're sick of working on BP, that's up to them to say - not you. In future, please put a little bit of thought into how you phrase your posts, because they could come across as possibly a little offensive to some.

Bereth is at it again...
Group spanking everyone! :new_bottom:

Bereth, less spamming - masked as humor - :new_bottom: and more real posts.

Not spamming,, just seems that way I guess because it would seem I'm the only one posting frequently is all. You'll notice 90% of my posts are in fact helpfull and to the point!

Just trying to help!

Funny, I think you're score is 89% and going lower post by post!

Edited by Azazello, 08 July 2007 - 08:50 PM.

#20 --Bereth Darkides--

--Bereth Darkides--

Posted 09 July 2007 - 08:49 AM

There I am multi tasking again,, wrong reply to wrong topic sorry everyone I had another screen open and posted this on the incorrect one...

ROCK ON WOO HOO !

:-)

Keep Fix'n Dem Bugs.... a-buz-buz!