the BPv1-8-0 Wishlist

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#21 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 02:36 PM

I think it is safe to say that there is enough interest about improving 177 and we should look at Horred's thoughts in the read me for 177:
"I will continue work on BP after this release, as the goal is a 100% modern installation. Also planned are some massive script rennovations (they work fine right now, but I always think they could be "a little better". An obsessive trait, this...) Updates will come in the form of new editions, not patches. I will release a new version when I feel enough progress has been made, or something significant has either been developed or is needed (for example, a game-crashing bug that my testers
and I somehow missed--not that I think there are any...)"
Definitely the bug zapping should be first and foremost which we all seem to agree on for the next iversion. Any significant developments (ie script rennovations) may be possible wish list components that does not deviate from Horred's vision. Others may have more ideas of what else is crucially needed.
Hoppy

Edited by Hoppy, 09 July 2007 - 02:36 PM.

?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

Posted Image The Definitive Guide to Trolls

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#22 Ymarsakar

Ymarsakar
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 01:12 PM

I would like to see a patched zip file containing all the bug fixed versions of BP files. Only because a new BP version containing the bug fixes may take longer.

#23 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 01:25 PM

I agree
:cheers:
Hoppy
?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

Posted Image The Definitive Guide to Trolls

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#24 melkor_morgoth75

melkor_morgoth75

Lord

• Modder
  • 1509 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 11:14 PM

I would like to see a patched zip file containing all the bug fixed versions of BP files. Only because a new BP version containing the bug fixes may take longer.

I disagree. If ever a new BP version will see the light of the day, it should be a full new release, not just a patch. So many bugs (starting from the wrong display offered by creature during combats) need a complete new re-install.

Just my 2 cents,

mm75

Tired of the same boring spawned creatures u face in BG? Try BGSpawn

#25 Jyzabyl

Jyzabyl

Order of the Radiantly Radiant

• 1468 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 01:04 AM

A full new release will be a long way off and as with any new release will contain bugs of it's own. I agree that releasing a patched zip is the way to go in the interim.
True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing. And in knowing that you know nothing, that makes you the smartest of all. Socrates

Not only are female redheads frequently lovely but theirs is a loveliness that suggests both lust and danger, pleasure and violence, and is, therefore, to the male of the species virtually irresistible. Red O red were the tresses of the original femme fatale. Tom Robbins

The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Unless you know anthing about anatomy. In that case the way to a man's heart is through his ribs with a meat cleaver. Miss Jyzzy's Guide to Men.

Xtreme Versatility? Xpress Yourself!

#26 J Beau

J Beau
  • 85 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 02:54 AM

A full new release will be a long way off and as with any new release will contain bugs of it's own. I agree that releasing a patched zip is the way to go in the interim.

I agree with this. You need to feed the animals in the zoo every once in a while, or they will attack there keepers. :P
Tempus fugit - memento mori
Time flies - remember death

#27 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 03:04 AM

Depending on the nature of the bugs that will be addressed, a patch/hotfix might or might not work. I'm completely confident that ronin and the others can fix the bugs, and I know for a fact that he's a lot better at that sort of thing than I am/will ever be, but my own experience with fixing dialogue and script with a hotfix hasn't been too good. Macready, on the other hand, has done just fine with it. So it really depends on the nature of the fixes it attempts.

If ronin and company say they can do it that way, and want to attempt it, that's all I need to hear, but if they say that it might not work out right, I'd be inclined to respect their judgment.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#28 kimmel

kimmel
  • 37 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 11:46 AM

Many of you will know this already--but for those who don't: DavidW at G3 has declared that he is working on an AI mod for BG2 that will be a follow-up to his much praised SCS for BG1. see the discussion Salk started at http://forums.gibber...showtopic=11026

It would be cool if BP eventually was able to work with or fill in gaps of that mod...

#29 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:57 AM

I highly doubt that BP and SCS II will be compatible. I am going to test it on a BGT installation and frankly, I believe DavidW has much better things to do (SCS v6 with full BGT compatibility to name one :rolleyes: ) than to bother making BP and SCS II coexist. :cheers:

Edited by Salk, 11 August 2007 - 03:28 AM.

#30 kimmel

kimmel
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:39 AM

I highly doubt that BP and SCS II will be compatible. I am going to test it on a BGT installation that includes only the BG2 Fixpack and frankly, I believe DavidW has much better things to do (SCS v6 with full BGT compatibility to name one :rolleyes: ) than to bother making BP and SCS II coexist. :cheers:

Well, after all, this is a WISHlist, not an intention-list or a could be done-list or some such... I took most of what's on this list to be pie in the sky, as "they" say. Of course, what you've written is, no doubt, true. I suppose that, if DavidW does his usual fine work on SCS II, it will basically replace BP-weidu. But I'm a little sentimental about BP, so I'd be a little sad to simply see it sidelined...

#31 ronin

ronin
  • Modder
  • 2114 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 10:44 AM

I have ascension (bp version) almost fixed along with all the other bugs in the bug thread. Give me some more time before you write off BP. I can also make BP compatible with some checks for SCSII as long as its installed after SCSII but I will need to wait for SCSII to come out first.

I am extremely busy at work converting 3000 users and 1000 databases from Lotus to Exchange so my time is limited.

#32 kimmel

kimmel
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:24 PM

OK, I'm happy to accept the suggestion that my pessimism was misplaced. Your efforts are very impressive, Ronin--cheers!

#33 Rubberduck

Rubberduck
  • 171 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 02:28 AM

Okay. That said i'm just curious about the actual status. One answer for the waiting ones please. Release possible within 2007?

#34 ronin

ronin
  • Modder
  • 2114 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 09:36 AM

I had a hard disk crash with (/me is an idiot) no backup and alot of work lost. I have lost all interest in BG2 modding, I cant even bring myself to start a game without getting bored out of my mind in the first 5 minutes. I am giving up on BG2 modding and have put my game disks away for good. If seanas returns and releases someting then all is good, if not then I have to say that BP is probably dead. You can hope and wait for SCS2 from DavidWallace as a respectable and probably better replacement for BP.

#35 -Marvin-

-Marvin-

Posted 29 August 2007 - 10:36 AM

No man, plz don't give up.
I can imagine how you feel after this shitty crash, but shit happens! Take a breath and sleep some nights over it.
You'll not need to rework everything in one day. Put the CDs away for some weeks, but I don't believe you'll totally give up on this masterpiece of a bg2 mod.

Now, take a ice cold beer :cheers: and F*** it.

Laters,

Marvin

#36 Leonardo Watson

Leonardo Watson
  • Modder
  • 531 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 12:42 AM

That are really bad news. I can empathize with you about your despair because myself recently had a head creash. But keep calm! My dealer was able to rescue most of my data.
I wish you the same luck!

#37 Gort

Gort
  • Validating
  • 614 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 01:47 AM

I'm very sorry

#38 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 05:30 AM

ronin, no-o-o-o!

Okay, take a break man, no troubles. We'll still love ya when you come back. And you will be back, you know you will...you know you want to...

#39 melkor_morgoth75

melkor_morgoth75

Lord

• Modder
  • 1509 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 05:00 AM

Dead is dead ... no resurrection here ;-)

Well, hopefully someone with good skills will be able to begin a new project from scratch ...

mm75

Tired of the same boring spawned creatures u face in BG? Try BGSpawn

#40 Rubberduck

Rubberduck
  • 171 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 07:06 AM

Shit <_<

First i thought it could be some kind of crazy joke from good 'ole Ronin but now i realize he might be serious :crying:

No game is perfect nor is any mod. So let's use the stuff thats already out. I'll do a complete reinstall very soon
and start a whole new game. Mostly because of many aspects that i haven't tried out yet and a far too large mega mod that (at least for me) doesn't seem to get to the point.

300h of gameplay is okay. But 400h+ gets (nearly) everybody bored.

Thanx for your great work so far, Ronin.

Get a beer :cheers: