Bug List for 0.41a

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
67 replies to this topic

#1 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 06:06 PM

I will close out the topics for earier bug reports. Please post any bugs you find. Remember that this is not a finished product. There will be areas that could be "tweaked" or additional dialog options added. Those are not bugs. If you have some suggestions, please post them outside of this topic but use a Topic description to tell us what you would like to see us add or change.

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website

#2 Mayro

Mayro
  • 55 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 08:56 AM

Ok I think I've found a bug. I've just returned from the swamp, to tell the Captain of the situation (to join forces or not) and she tells me "come back tomorrow". I've also talked with Alatelo about the potion (I found the flowers) and went to Elence. She also told me "come in a day's time". So I went to the inn to sleep and heal and after resting 8 hours (I don't have rest until healed on) I rest again. A cutscene starts showing me who I suppose is Lord Balthis (I think it's his house). He is alone, no one comes to talk with him, he does not say anything and the cutscene never finish. It continues like this.

I know this has been asked before but I did not find an answer there. My party: PC,Dirbert,Paraway,Aesdale,Blush and Althon. Same cutscene problem than the other post called Strange Problem Saltmarsh by Gorgon.

I don't know what to do, which variables to change or anything. Please, some help here because if it's not finish my game will end here.

Edited by Mayro, 06 August 2007 - 12:34 PM.

Speaking is not communication.

Excusatio non petita, acusatio manifiesta.

#3 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 06:09 PM

No, it isn't Balthis, this is Althon. I thought this was fixed in .41a.

Classic Adventures

#4 Mayro

Mayro
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 12:32 AM

Ok, so what should I do then?

#5 Celestine

Celestine

Elven Maiden

• Modder
  • 4538 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 12:38 AM

Have you installed the CA0.41a patch? If you haven't, please download it and patch your CA install.

#6 Mayro

Mayro
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 01:11 AM

Yes, the patch is installed.

#7 -Bombur-

-Bombur-

Posted 12 August 2007 - 06:08 PM

First, great mod. I really like this. :)

Second, the last segment is rather buggy (a couple in Myth Drannor, lots in slavers). Not surprising considering how big it is and how new it is. No complaints. I'll try to recall the bugs I encountered today. (I should have written them down earlier!)

1. In area TC1005, the slavers in the barracks don't talk. They don't seem to mind if you walk around talking their stuff, or if you attack them. Some can be killed, others do not appear to be vulnerable to death.

2. I didn't pick up Rivian in the Vault of the Ages, so I found her in area TC1103. When I went back to area TC1005 with her, she *constantly* initiated dialogs (every second or so). The dialogs often sounded like responses, as if I had initiated them.

3. With particular regard to Rivian, several dialogs didn't make sense. For example, she mentioned fighting with Girana, and one response option suggested we had killed Girana. I have not been able to engage Girana in any way, despite my strong desire to drain a large amount of blood from said captain. She also seemed to refer to past events in our adventure that had never transpired (maybe they were supposed to happen in MD?).

4. In dialog TC1203m3, helping the slaves results in reputation being *set* to 1 rather than *increased* by 1. Looking at the dialog file, I suspect a similar problem exists with spurning the slaves, resulting in a reputation *set* to -1. I think the actions should be ReputationInc rather than ReputationSet.

5. In area TC1204, Markessa acts similarly to Girana, although it is possible to attack and kill her. This may have something to do with the following segment from TC1204.BCS (there is no tcmarkessa.cre file):

IF
Global("TCMarkessaCantJoin","GLOBAL",1)
!InActiveArea("TCMARKESSA")
!Dead("TCMARKESSA")
THEN
RESPONSE #100
MoveGlobalObject("TCMARKESSA",Player1)
END

6. The map for area TC1100 indicates that I should be able to return to area TC1000, but there is no travel trigger for this in TC1100.ARE.

Third, apart from the bugs, I have a couple suggestions: (1) It would really be nice to have a store that would buy all the magic items the baddies drop (especially to make up for the fortune I was forced to lose). (2) There should be more areas where safe resting is at least possible. (3) the spirit troll in area TC1260 can essentially to turn invisible at will; it would be more playable with the normal BG2 script.

#8 MythrylEagle

MythrylEagle
  • 152 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 11:13 AM

Well I've been playing CA for nearly two years. It's amazing how it's continued to develop and how playable it's continued to be. The starting modules are still some of my favorite parts to play. By the number of downloads its obvious that there are many players of CA that we have not heard from. I'm sure that SBB and the CA Team would love to hear from more of you. Every few months we get a few new players who post their comments. These new perspectives help to energize the team so everybody spend a few minutes to post their reviews of CA.

I started a new play through of 041a. My intention is to play using the NPC's that i usually don't use.

Found a new treasure cache in the cliff face in the second map (outside the ravine.) Don't know how long its been there, and it didn't contain much, but it's always fun to find something new.

I liked the addition of the second Thoqua. It changed the encounter dramatically. I went into a temporary panic. Got lucky, no one died due to my supprise, but what a rush! I would like to see a treasure cache or a dead goblin body with possessions somewhere in this part of the caverns. (This might have been a better location for finding the nephalum ore.)

If I kill the tree before I kill the outcast, then the outcast goes into a looping dialog that creates dozens of twig blights. This shouldn't happen.

I experienced the bug with the Yusadryl. I made the change mentioned in an earlier posting (changed GlobalGT to Global) This fixed the bug for me.

I also found a few new small treasures in the haunted house upstairs. I liked these additions.

There is a minor bug with Rurik's drop party logic. If he is already in my party and I go to his store in saltmarsh and try to drop him he does not automatically become the shopkeeper. It also does not smoothly transition through the armor building and ammo belt gift giving dialogs. It does work itself out if you re-initiate dialog a couple of times, but it is not smooth.
In previous gameplay I did not have Rurik in my party and it always worked properly.

Should the ammo belt be a wearable item? I know it's not, I just question what it would take to make it fit into the belt slot. I'm assuming that it's store-like characteristics causes complications.

I started the potion quest. It shows up in the journal but not the quest list.

There are several other mini-quests that I have completed that do not appear in the completed quest list. Some of them do appear in the journal, some do not. (I am just now leaving Saltmarsh for the lizardmen, I will try to make a list of the missing quest entries.)

The framed picture in the balthis estate. This icon is buggy. If I drag it across the screen it leaves an icon trail all across my screen. Is this new item part of a new quest? If so, how do I start this new quest?
Always look on the bright side of life, da da - da da - da da - da da. "Monty Python"

#9 -Bombur-

-Bombur-

Posted 13 August 2007 - 05:57 PM

Sorry, I made a typo in reporting the area where Rivian constantly initiated dialogue -- it was supposed to be TC1000. Anyway, I figured out the problem there. In TCRIV.BCS, the script and variable are mismatched. Now that I have fixed it, I can't remember what it was. :wacko: But the script was checking for the variable in one place and updating it in another. It was either checking in TC1000 and then updating to LOCALS, or vice versa. In either case, since it was never getting updated where it was checking, the dialog was constantly triggering.

Also, I could have been more clear on my comments on Markessa. Obviously the problem is not limited to her failing to walk up to me. I just thought there may be another problem somewhere else based on the same mismatched name. Other thoughts: I'm not sure that TCRescueMe is ever set to 0 to begin with, so maybe the problem is that the condition for dialog is never met (see TCMARKES.BCS)? Or, maybe there is no dialog trigger if I don't have the right (and living) NPCs?

#10 Celestine

Celestine

Elven Maiden

• Modder
  • 4538 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 11:49 PM

3. With particular regard to Rivian, several dialogs didn't make sense. For example, she mentioned fighting with Girana, and one response option suggested we had killed Girana. I have not been able to engage Girana in any way, despite my strong desire to drain a large amount of blood from said captain. She also seemed to refer to past events in our adventure that had never transpired (maybe they were supposed to happen in MD?).

I realised this and have updated it but didn't upload in time for 0.41a release. Therefore, it will be fixed in the next release.

Sorry, I made a typo in reporting the area where Rivian constantly initiated dialogue -- it was supposed to be TC1000. Anyway, I figured out the problem there. In TCRIV.BCS, the script and variable are mismatched. Now that I have fixed it, I can't remember what it was. wacko.gif But the script was checking for the variable in one place and updating it in another. It was either checking in TC1000 and then updating to LOCALS, or vice versa. In either case, since it was never getting updated where it was checking, the dialog was constantly triggering.

thanks so much for finding this. I have been trying to find the cause of this problem for many weeks.

#11 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 09:18 AM

Rivian and Ril both have dialog files which are becoming books onto themselves. Pinpointing a bug will keep getting harder if we don't know exactly where it happens (and unfortunately some just happen randomly). So any help you all can give us is greatly appreciated.

M.E, I'll look at Belak's dialog again. I swear I must have fixed this several times now.

As for Rurik, this makes sense about the bug. I am sure it is because I don't check the location when you kick him out. So the store dialogs aren't kicking in correctly.

As for the ammo belt, it is the same item as in SoA. Containers can't go into quick item slots or any other slot besides standard inventory. Not sure why Bioware decided this but that is definitely a game limitation. Maybe because they couldn't process you dropping an item into a container from the main game screen, only in the inventory screen? Who knows.

I'll see what I can do about the rest of these you all have. Unfortunately, with the massive changes we are making for 0.42, I am sure many more things will get broken. Sometimes it is harder to go back and tweak something than it is to just rebuild it.

Classic Adventures

#12 Mayro

Mayro
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 02:20 PM

We will help as much as we can, and as exactly as it is possible. I'm sure that 0.42 will be great.

#13 --Chris--

--Chris--

Posted 14 August 2007 - 09:55 PM

I will close out the topics for earier bug reports. Please post any bugs you find. Remember that this is not a finished product. There will be areas that could be "tweaked" or additional dialog options added. Those are not bugs. If you have some suggestions, please post them outside of this topic but use a Topic description to tell us what you would like to see us add or change.

Hi and thanks to everyone on the team for putting together a fantastic mod. It's great to see new life in the old PnP modules.

I'm asking for help because I'm stuck in the swamp at the beginning of U2. The lizardman guard won't engage in conversation with me. When I approach or click on him to speak, he raises the alarm, "Hiss! Intruders. Get 'em!" or the equivalent. Forced to kill him, there's no way for me to get past the locked gate inside the lair. I've also just gone in past him without talking to him, same result.

I've played through twice from the beginning and gotten stuck at this same point. I'm running a multiplayer game in which I control all the characters. I have the NPCs Aedale and Paraway, plus four characters of my own.

Any advice? And thanks again to everyone involved for their efforts.

#14 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 02:13 AM

One of the guards near the gate has a key(just west from it) to the gate inside the gave. Search them fully!

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#15 MythrylEagle

MythrylEagle
  • 152 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 09:45 AM

I know this has been asked before but I did not find an answer there. My party: PC,Dirbert,Paraway,Aesdale,Blush and Althon. Same cutscene problem than the other post called Strange Problem Saltmarsh by Gorgon.

I'm having this same cutscene problem. Never had it before. Either something recently broken or it results from a party configuration I haven't played recently. My current party: PC,Shadow,Paraway,Aesdale,Blush and Althon. Have you identified a workaround for this bug? Do I drop Althon? or is another NPC the problem? If dropping one of the NPC's is the workaround when can I add him back? My current game situation is; been given the wivern quest by lizardmen, decided to return to saltmarsh first to heal and sell excess stuff, then as I try to return to swamp map the game immediately goes to the cutscene and locks up.

[SBB, please ignore this, I just noticed your cutscene bug fix]

I normally like to keep Dirbert and Erky during this part of the module but decided to keep Aesdale and Blush to try out the updated banters. So far what I've noticed most is that I really miss Dirbert. Nobody else is nearly as effective at breaking up spellcasting. I also really like Shadow but I'm still a couple of levels away with my PC (FMT) from being able to get by without Shadows thieving abilities. I also would like to have Rurik in my party but am forced to do without him until the Blush plot line completes. When I first added Blush to my party many versions ago I liked her a lot, and loved the picture. During my more recent playing I determined that Erky and Rurik both have better healing capabilities and better long term playability. I suppose this supports the decision to end Blush's plot line earlier rather than later in the game. Likewise, I find Aesdale a very weak character. Because I have a FMT as my PC I find using Erky or Rihn for two character magic user depth a much better choice than Aesdale. So far I'm playing with Aesdale and Paraway primarily to experience their bantars and to see how their plot line develops, but I don't believe that they would otherwise be my party members of choice.

Edited by MythrylEagle, 15 August 2007 - 09:49 AM.

Always look on the bright side of life, da da - da da - da da - da da. "Monty Python"

#16 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:07 PM

Paraway was originally created because many players had such a hard time in the Citadel without another fighter. He is part of the Aesdale/Althon/Blush/Paraway/Icar/Kessa storyline. You can get by without him without the storyline getting confusing.

Classic Adventures

#17 -Bombur-

-Bombur-

Posted 16 August 2007 - 06:16 PM

I'm playing through again, so I thought I'd try to keep track of the bugs I encounter in a more orderly fashion this time. Here's what I've got so far:

tcerky.dlg

Erky contradicts himself regarding goblin dietary preferences:

state 2: "to put me in their stew pot"
state 7: "they think gnome meat is too tough to eat"

tcmeepo.bcs

After correcting the GlobalGT typo to Global in tckobwiz.dlg, if Meepo is still in the party when you report success to tckobwiz.cre, then the TCMeepoPutCalBack variable is immediately set to 5 by tcmeepo.bcs, preventing proper resoluion to the quest and access to the store. The problematic script is this one:

IF
Global("TCMeepoPutCalBack","TC0013",4)
InParty(Myself)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
SetGlobal("TCMeepoPutCalBack","TC0013",5)
SetGlobal("IWasKickedOut","LOCALS",1)
SetDialog("TCMEEPO")
LeaveParty()
END

tcsaltca.dlg

In this case, the Saltmarch Militia Captain has a nonsensical bit of dialogue:

state 30: "This is too much at once!"
response 42: (continue)
state 25: "I do."

sppr217.spl

The description for Bull's Strength lists the duration as "6 turns per level from level 8-16." This doesn't make any sense, since the spell can be case long before 8th level. For example, how long does it last if cast by a 3rd level cleric?

tcsw2h01.itm

The generic (unidentified) description lists the weight as 15 lbs. The actual weight is 40 lbs.

tc0027.bcs

For some reason, in my game tcblush.cre did not movebetweenareas to tc0033.are. I had to pause and recreate/respawn her via the CLUAConsole in order for the dialog to make sense.

potn02.itm

When I kick Dirbert out of the party with a potion of fire resistance in his inventory, he immediately begins to quaff it -- constantly. The potion will not be consumed, and he will not receive its benefits. But he will constantly be quaffing "something." I haven't tracked this down yet, and it may not be limited to him or to this potion. At one point, I kicked out Althon and he immediately quaffed a potion of heroism. Maybe related to wtasight.bcs? I'm not sure.

Thanks for a great game!

Bombur

#18 Celestine

Celestine

Elven Maiden

• Modder
  • 4538 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 11:43 PM

The constant quaffing potion thing also happens to Paraway in Saltmarsh tavern. I don't know if this is all related though.

#19 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 04:07 AM

They are related. It is something to do with their scripts. For some reason, certain code blocks keep getting triggered over and over again. What makes it strange is that they are supposed to have the item in inventory, then consume it. Therefore, they should never be able to run that code block again unless there is a second potion. But the inventory item doesn't change like it should, so the item is still there to repeat the script again.

Belak used to do this with the Wand of Entangle that he has. I think I finally got him to stop using it repeatedly. I'll have to go back and look at the others. BTW, some of these situations are based on standard SoA scripts but I don't ever remember a time in the game where this happened. So why now? Unless it was always a bug but the character never had a potion and therefore Bioware never found the bug. Dunno yet.

Classic Adventures

#20 Mayro

Mayro
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 05:33 AM

Just a little something I noticed with Blush. She has a Charm Person spell memorized that is not in any spell slots. I'll explain better. When I open her spell book to choose the spells I want her to cast, I don't select charm person (or charm mammal/person) at all, then I rest and when I hit the magic icon, in the list of spells available it appears a charm person spell which I'm able to cast. May be I'm dumb but I didn't cast it to test if it worked.

Another thing with her is that she has the "special abilities" icon coloured in blue, as if she actually had an special ability, but she doesn't have any at all.

I suppose that you planned to add a priest of Sune kit which grants those abilities but I thought to mention, don't know if it has been mentioned before.

Bye!