Photo

Finalising BGT-WeiDU v1.05

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
92 replies to this topic

#41 Anomaly

Anomaly
  • 562 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 12:51 PM

French translation is already done, I just need to sort out two details with Ascension64 before sending it. :)
French translator of: BG2 FixPack, BG2 Tweaks, Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU, BGT-Tweaks and some minor mods.

#42 vyvexthorne

vyvexthorne
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 02:40 PM

I was playing around with character creation and I found something strange..
If you drop your CON down below 6 you get higher hit points. I made six fighters,, (just for demonstration but all classes seem to be affected.

Con HP's Level 2 L3
A. 3 18 21 28
B. 5 19 28 34
C. 7 10 19 24
D. 9 10 14 15 wow bad role
E. 11 10 17 25
F. 13 10 16 22

Don't know if this is a bug or not or if it affects any other aspect of the game.... I did a clean install so no other mods are being used.
I looked this up on the forum but all I found were wrong constitution bonus messages.. So sorry ahead of time if this has already been brought up or is already known.

#43 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 10:30 PM

It *DOES* look strange - if I understand it correctly, the second number in a row represents level 1 HP?

Uh, my bad. :whistling:

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 26 September 2007 - 07:35 AM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#44 Tassadar88

Tassadar88

Templar in Flames

• 1302 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 10:54 PM

It *DOES* look strange - if I understand it correctly, the second number in a row represents level 1 HP?
The Mind is its own place and in itself - can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven. -John Milton, Paradise lost

#45 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 01:37 AM

I was playing around with character creation and I found something strange..
If you drop your CON down below 6 you get higher hit points. I made six fighters,, (just for demonstration but all classes seem to be affected.

Nice find. In the hit point adjustment scripts I neglected to correct the doubled hitpoints in the event of a constitution penalty.

Can I get confirmation that a CON of 3 delivers a HP bonus of -1?

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#46 Tassadar88

Tassadar88

Templar in Flames

• 1302 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 01:41 AM

I am currently installing a BGT 1.04 game, so once I am done with it, I will give it a try.
The Mind is its own place and in itself - can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven. -John Milton, Paradise lost

#47 Tassadar88

Tassadar88

Templar in Flames

• 1302 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 02:18 AM

I made fighters with con of 3 5 7 9.
at level 1, they had
3 - 18 hp
5 - 19 hp
7 - 10 hp
9 - 10 hp

#48 Tassadar88

Tassadar88

Templar in Flames

• 1302 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 02:38 AM

Btw, I remember having seen this somewhere as well and not accepted as a bug, but when I make a level 1 fighter in vanilla BG1, I get four proficience points, but can only put up to two to any of the weapons at the start. If I am allowed to put 4 slots into one weapon proficiency in BGT, I get too powerfull at the beginning.

#49 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:57 AM

Btw, I remember having seen this somewhere as well and not accepted as a bug, but when I make a level 1 fighter in vanilla BG1, I get four proficience points, but can only put up to two to any of the weapons at the start. If I am allowed to put 4 slots into one weapon proficiency in BGT, I get too powerfull at the beginning.

I'm not sure I can do much about this one.

Can I get confirmation that a CON of 3 delivers a HP bonus of -1?

What I meant was that the BG2:SoA manual states that having a Constitution of 3 gives a HP bonus of -1. Although the absolute HP is incorrect in the current version of BGT-WeiDU, it appears that having a Constitution of 3 gives a HP bonus of -2, where as 4 or 5 would give a HP bonus of -1. What is correct for a Constitution of 3: a HP bonus of -1 or -2?

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#50 melkor_morgoth75

melkor_morgoth75

Lord

• Modder
  • 1509 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 04:29 AM

In Theory -2 ...

mm75

Tired of the same boring spawned creatures u face in BG? Try BGSpawn

#51 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 04:55 AM

In Theory -2 ...

mm75

Fair enough. This is now corrected, nevertheless.

On to some bugs reported a while ago...

Minor inconsistency: a female commoner (FTOBE5.CRE) in one of the Beregost houses (original BG1 area name: AR3327) says that we must have mistaken the unlocked door for an invitation in her house. The door is instead locked. My suggestion: simply make the door unlocked.

Um, I went into the game to check this out, and apparently the only houase that that commoner resides in doesn't even have a door! I also checked I always looking at the same house by going to BG1, and same issue. Are you sure its not a different commoner?

If I am not mistaken the wizard scroll of Protection from Petrification, keeps the .BAM which indicate it as unusable because of class even when in the inventory of legit classes (mages and bards).

This seems to work fine for me too.

--------------
Retired Modder

#52 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 26 September 2007 - 05:30 AM

Minor inconsistency: a female commoner (FTOBE5.CRE) in one of the Beregost houses (original BG1 area name: AR3327) says that we must have mistaken the unlocked door for an invitation in her house. The door is instead locked. My suggestion: simply make the door unlocked.

Um, I went into the game to check this out, and apparently the only houase that that commoner resides in doesn't even have a door! I also checked I always looking at the same house by going to BG1, and same issue. Are you sure its not a different commoner?

Can it be that it's a randomized dialogue so that more than one woman might trigger that?

#53 vyvexthorne

vyvexthorne
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 06:04 AM

Can it be that it's a randomized dialogue so that more than one woman might trigger that?

I beleive that to be random dialogue,, most women cast as "commoner" in a house that you break into... door locked or no.. say that line.
Just like in Gullykin (sp?) the men in houses like to say "nice to see you again." even though you've never met them.

#54 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 26 September 2007 - 06:31 AM

Then I guess there's nothing to fix.

#55 Anomaly

Anomaly
  • 562 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 11:19 AM

Lots, and I mean really LOTS of people in the French community are doing the same mistake while installing BG1 for BGT WeiDU : using the "Recommended" install instead of a Custom one, and their game is, of course, crashing when they go out of Candlekeep, even if I have written in big letters to make a custom install with all tickboxes checked (or full install for the 3 CDs version).

It would be great that BGT-WeiDU checks for the missing files, at least the area outside of Candlekeep and prevents installation if it's not there, so they can avoid to lose lots of time or to have the wrong impression that BGT-WeiDU is instable because of the crash at area loading.

Edit: and perhaps adding a note about the message "insufficient space to install" that BG1 displays in all case for a custom full install that scares people. ;)

Edited by Anomaly, 26 September 2007 - 12:18 PM.

French translator of: BG2 FixPack, BG2 Tweaks, Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU, BGT-Tweaks and some minor mods.

#56 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 05:40 PM

Lots, and I mean really LOTS of people in the French community are doing the same mistake while installing BG1 for BGT WeiDU : using the "Recommended" install instead of a Custom one, and their game is, of course, crashing when they go out of Candlekeep, even if I have written in big letters to make a custom install with all tickboxes checked (or full install for the 3 CDs version).

It would be great that BGT-WeiDU checks for the missing files, at least the area outside of Candlekeep and prevents installation if it's not there, so they can avoid to lose lots of time or to have the wrong impression that BGT-WeiDU is instable because of the crash at area loading.

Is it just the movie BIFFs that are missing from a Recommended install of BG:TotSC?

Edit: and perhaps adding a note about the message "insufficient space to install" that BG1 displays in all case for a custom full install that scares people. ;)

I don't think shell script can calculate amount of space remaining. If BGT-WeiDU ever becomes an installer, I'll certainly take this into account.

--------------
Retired Modder

#57 cmorgan

cmorgan
  • Modder
  • 2301 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 07:32 PM

I think there was a pre-written full-file check for a TOTSC custom install at PPG posted [EDIT: yep, found it], and Macready uses one in his Easytutu installer (going on the theory that it is easier to borrow a cup of sugar from a friend than go grind the cane yourself, so you can concentrate on the play stuff not the install).

The post is http://forums.pocket....html#msg248272

Since that list is really long and I wanted to verify my installation for sure, I created a small .vbs script that verifies the existence of these files. Maybe someone may have a use for it, so I thought I'd share the code. I didn't evaluate which version of vbs is required, you'll just need to try it out.

Copy&paste it into notepad; you will need to change the line where the Baldur's Gate Data dir is defined (conBGDataDir) to the correct value for your system. Furthermore if you don't have Tales of the Sword Coast installed, you'll need to set conHaveTotSC to False in the next line. Now save the file as VerifyBGInstall.vbs and execute it on a commandline by using the call

cscript.exe VerifyBGInstall.vbs

It will give you a result saying either "Your installation appears to be complete." or "One or more files are missing, check your installation!"

Here's the code, have fun..

Option Explicit

Const conBGDataDir = "C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Baldur's Gate\Data"
Const conHaveTotSC = True
Const conBIFExtension = ".bif"

Dim arrBGBIFFiles, arrTotSCBIFFiles
Dim strBIFFile, strBIFFileName
Dim blnMissing

Dim objFSO

arrBGBIFFiles = Array( _
	"AREA000A", "AREA000B", "AREA000C", "AREA000D", "AREA000E", "AREA000F", "AREA000G", "AREA000H", _
	"AREA010A", "AREA010B", "AREA020A", "AREA020B", "AREA030A", "AREA030B", "AREA040X", "AREA050D", _
	"AREA060A", "AREA070A", "AREA080A", "AREA080B", "AREA090X", "AREA0100", "AREA110A", _
	"AREA110B", "AREA110C", "AREA120A", "AREA120B", "AREA130A", "AREA140A", "AREA140B", "AREA160X", _
	"AREA180A", "AREA180B", "AREA180C", "AREA180D", "AREA180E", "AREA190X", "AREA0200", "AREA210X", _
	"AREA220X", "AREA230A", "AREA230B", "AREA260A", "AREA260B", "AREA260C", "AREA0300", "AREA320X", _
	"AREA330A", "AREA330B", "AREA330C", "AREA330D", "AREA340X", "AREA360X", "AREA380X", "AREA390X", _
	"AREA0400", "AREA400X", "AREA410X", "AREA420X", "AREA440X", "AREA450X", "AREA470X", "AREA480X", _
	"AREA490X", "AREA500X", "AREA510X", "AREA520X", "AREA540A", "AREA540B", "AREA540C", "AREA540D", _
	"AREA550X", "AREA0600", "AREA0700", "AREA0800", "AREA0900", "AREA1100", "AREA1200", "AREA1300", _
	"AREA1400", "AREA1600", "AREA1700", "AREA1800", "AREA1900", "AREA2100", "AREA2200", "AREA2300", _
	"AREA2400", "AREA2600", "AREA2700", "AREA2800", "AREA2900", "AREA3000", "AREA3100", "AREA3200", _
	"AREA3300", "AREA3400", "AREA3500", "AREA3600", "AREA3700", "AREA3800", "AREA3900", "AREA4000", _
	"AREA4100", "AREA4200", "AREA4300", "AREA4400", "AREA4500", "AREA4600", "AREA4700", "AREA4800", _
	"AREA4900", "AREA5000", "AREA5100", "AREA5200", "AREA5300", "AREA5400", "AREA5500", "Areas", _
	"ARMisc", "CHAAnim", "CHASound", "CREAnim", "Creature", "CRESound", "Default", "Dialog", _
	"Effects", "Gui", "Items", "MPCREANM", "MPGUI", "MPSounds", "NPCSound", "OBJAnim", "RndEncnt", _
	"scripts", "SFXSound", "Spells")

arrTotSCBIFFiles = Array( _
	"AREA050A", "AREA050B", "AREA050C", "AREA100A", "AREA150A", "AREA200A", "AREA200B", "AREA0500", _
	"AREA1000", "AREA1500", "AREA2000", "ExArMaps", "ExPAreas")

Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

For Each strBIFFile In arrBGBIFFiles
	strBIFFileName = objFSO.BuildPath(conBGDataDir, strBIFFile & conBIFExtension)

If Not VerifyFile(strBIFFileName) Then blnMissing = vbTrue
Next

If conHaveTotSC Then
	For Each strBIFFile In arrTotSCBIFFiles
		strBIFFileName = objFSO.BuildPath(conBGDataDir, strBIFFile & conBIFExtension)

If Not VerifyFile(strBIFFileName) Then blnMissing = vbTrue
	Next
End If

If blnMissing Then
	WScript.Echo vbCrLf & "One or more files are missing, check your installation!"
Else
	WScript.Echo vbCrLf & "Your installation appears to be complete."
End If

Set objFSO = Nothing

WScript.Quit

Private Function VerifyFile(ByVal strBIFFileName)
	If Not objFSO.FileExists(strBIFFileName) Then
		WScript.Echo "Missing file: " & strBIFFileName
	Else
		WScript.Echo "Found file: " & strBIFFileName
		VerifyFile = vbTrue
	End If
End Function

I have been unable to verify that it is *only* the movie .bifs that are not copied, but this should give you stuff to rework however you need it, I think :)

Edited by cmorgan, 26 September 2007 - 07:33 PM.

#58 Anomaly

Anomaly
  • 562 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 10:35 PM

Is it just the movie BIFFs that are missing from a Recommended install of BG:TotSC?

No, areas are missing. After a BGT-WeiDU install on a Recommended install, you have areas .bif file that weight only some bytes.

There is another problem, but rarer. The French 3 CDs version of BG1 does have a full install, but this full install "forget" to copy two areas files...

I don't think shell script can calculate amount of space remaining. If BGT-WeiDU ever becomes an installer, I'll certainly take this into account.

Sorry, this is not what I meant. I was thinking about adding a note to the documentation : on the 6 CDs version and the DVD version of BG1, you have to choose "Custom install", then tick every check boxes. Then, when you install, you *will* have a message saying that you don't have space left on your hard drive, regardeless of the real space left (because of the 2 GB limit). I was thinking about adding a note about this wrong error message that users can safely ignore. I agree, this is just a detail, but someone pointed it out to me yesterday. :)

#59 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 11:00 PM

Thanks for the VBScript, cmorgan. I suppose that would require VB Runtime files to execute, which I am worried is too big an ask to package those and ask users to install them too. A C version would work loads better, but if BGT were to become installer application-based, the C code would probably be thrown out anyway. When and how does Macready use this script?

Anyhow, I can easily make a shell script that checks for every single BG1 file. However, unless I make a sentence for every single file, I won't be able to tell the user what file they are missing. If I just checked for all files and say "Invalid installation of Baldur's Gate and Tales of the Sword Coast. Restarting..." if any one of them is missing, would that solve the issue?

No, areas are missing. After a BGT-WeiDU install on a Recommended install, you have areas .bif file that weight only some bytes.

There is another problem, but rarer. The French 3 CDs version of BG1 does have a full install, but this full install "forget" to copy two areas files...

I see. It would be thorough to check all files then. Again, I can make the shell script check all files quite easily.

Sorry, this is not what I meant. I was thinking about adding a note to the documentation : on the 6 CDs version and the DVD version of BG1, you have to choose "Custom install", then tick every check boxes. Then, when you install, you *will* have a message saying that you don't have space left on your hard drive, regardeless of the real space left (because of the 2 GB limit). I was thinking about adding a note about this wrong error message that users can safely ignore. I agree, this is just a detail, but someone pointed it out to me yesterday. :)

I see. Do you think that people read the BGT readme before installing BG1? I'm just concerned that having a note in the readme wouldn't be terribly useful if people install BG1 first without reading the readme.

--------------
Retired Modder

#60 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 12:31 AM

"Invalid installation of Baldur's Gate and Tales of the Sword Coast. Restarting..."

I think it should say "You Didn't Read the readme, You Didn't Read the README..... Now go back and read it and install Baldur's Gate and Tales of the Sword Coast correctly. Have you Read all the other Readme's?" :whistling:

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev