Photo

Would you pay for these?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you pay? (23 member(s) have cast votes)

My Signatures

1. Yes (1 votes [4.35%])

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

2. No (22 votes [95.65%])

Percentage of vote: 95.65%

3. I Might but only if their were better (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Sinharvest

Sinharvest

Your Cheerio Key Master

• 286 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 05:54 PM

Alright guys, ive been using Adobe Photoshop CS for about 2 years now, this past year ive really been getting into it, working hard and learning new stuff, now that im going to high school and stuff its come to my attention that i could actully make other uses for photoshop other then entertaining my self because its a hobby of mine. Im 14 years old and my parents,peers, And teachers etc really honestly think i should starting selling/charging these not sure if its because my teachers have no idea what it is or if they really like it but my dad a computer technition/website designer likes them, i even made a banner for one of his WoW Guilds, they enjoyed it as well...

What im trying to say is, Would YOU pay for one of these? I know im no pro but im no beginner either, i would sell them for 5-10 bucks a piece depending on the request and how much time it took, i have it planned just not sure if people would pay and where would i advertise? Here, not sure many people would approve of it :lol:

These are the only examples i have at the moment just take a glance if you would to decide if you would or would not and please comment if possible

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
~Request i did for Shadow'
Posted Image

Must remember im not selling them right now so dont base it on that please

I Tried to make it "Not" a wall o' text ^^

#2 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 06:14 PM

:whistling: These seem alright SinHarvest, you'd definetly get some customers if you ever go commercial with these.

The one of Ultima Dragon seems in some of its firery areas to be a little, out of place, kinda like how puzzles always have those lines still visible and such y'know? Just blend it in a bit more and that should solve the problem.

That one for Shadow seems pretty familar ;) the guy in it I mean.
Like that as a personal fav. ^_^ Good job! :cheers:

The Metroid one seems a bit too bright in the screen part of the helmet, but since its like that for nearly every art design out there, there's really no trouble about that. Just a personal nitpick I've always had, y'know? :)

And on that same one, is it just me or does that gun thing on the arm sort of end abruptly, like as if its been cut off. Still again I'll state it doesn't detract from the design there so, yeah it'd be well worth it.

The one I see incorporated into your sig as well, brilliant, no other word comes close to it. :D

I'll just say tho that as a personal thing, the Bowser one is my least favorite choice here, but thats a personal thing i have, nothing too bad about the pic, just looks alien in its two parts y'know, with Bowser being very cartoony and the background not so.

Anyways, there's my long review done and dusted. ^_^
I'd say, yeah if offered for a small monetary price, I'd buy these from the store and blah blah blah. :lol:

Keep up the good work SinHarvest! :D

Classic Adventures - a Total Conversion compilation dedicated to bringing many of the old and new PnP modules into the wonderfully dangerous world that is Baldur's Gate II.   Fancy link button to Downloads page.

CA Forum.  Bugs to be squashed, feedback to be welcomed!

Website at: http://classicadventuresmod.com/
~***~***~***~

When in doubt, lockpick a mudcrab!

Beware the nug conspiracy!

#3 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 07:15 PM

Voted "no;" not that your work is bad, but I'd never pay for a signature images. I don't even use them - and if I did, I could make one myself, or ask someone I knew who'd do it for free. :)

Are you also looking for constructive criticism on your work?

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#4 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 18 September 2007 - 08:13 PM

I am sure there is a market for your work and I think you have talent but I would have to say no, I would make it myself if I needed one. (If it was beyond my ability I know some people who would do it for free.)

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70's and 80's. Experience AD&D's greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Visit our homepage at http://classicadventuresmod.com/

#5 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 08:55 PM

It's also not entirely your own work, so you could get in trouble for making people pay. :)

#6 Sinharvest

Sinharvest

Your Cheerio Key Master

• 286 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 10:09 PM

Hmm? All of it is done by me... how can you say their not all mine?

#7 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 10:12 PM

The artwork that they are based upon isn't yours. :)

#8 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 10:14 PM

You're using characters and images from games (and possibly other media, as well - I don't recognize all of the characters). That artwork is copyrighted and from a strictly legal point of view, you're not even allowed to use them at all. Although I assure you Bethesda or any of the other company won't run after you at present, they might change their mind once you start earning money off of their creations. ;)

EDIT: K'aeloree was faster. :P

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#9 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 10:45 PM

Not for a signature, no. But, your image manipulation skills surely could be used better for something else. So don't go drop out of school, just yet. :devil:

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#10 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

Living on Wings of Dreams

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 11:22 PM

Voted "no;" not that your work is bad, but I'd never pay for a signature images. I don't even use them - and if I did, I could make one myself, or ask someone I knew who'd do it for free. :)

I agree with this statement. I am sorry, your work is nice, but I would simply never pay for a signature/banner

Still modding the Mod for the Wicked... It is a big project you know... And I got sidetracked (several times) a bit... sorry.
However, as we all know, Evil never really sleeps.

Sentences marking (my) life:

Winds of change... Endure them, and in Enduring grow Stronger
It takes a fool to look for logic in a man's heart
Never question the sanity of the insane
The Harmony of Life is Chaos
Living on Wings of Dreams

(1st march 2009) SHS women over me:
Kat: if there were more guys that looked like you out here, people's offspring wouldnt be so damn ugly
Noctalys: you are adorable :P

~~ I love it, and I am humbled! Yay! ~~

#11 Ibis

Ibis

moonlit sleepless florida nights

• 114 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 12:59 AM

I voted no ONLY because it is Signatures that you are offering. It is just too commonly done for free to think you'd be able to sell online Signatures. It'd be perhaps like trying to sell a Morrowind mod when the whole modding/modeling community is uploading them for free.

However, the only reason I voted no was the final package format. I think that your design skills and style are considerable and that you should definitely apply them to a more profitable format. Posters, perhaps? Elements of website design, as I think you mentioned your father is associated with. Erm, album covers, CD jackets, game advertisements = there are a whole lot of applications for your art talent that I could see you getting a paying job in or maybe freelancing.

Keep at it! And there might possibly people who'd pay for custom-made signatures out there.
Remember the Glory Days of Morrowind Mods? Visit Gamersroam Archival Download Library of 1032 old Morrowind Mods and take your pick. Just register and enjoy the good ole days!

#12 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 01:51 AM

I would never pay for a 'shop job, especially not a small and relatively simple one like this.

If I'm going to pay for something, it's going to be original artwork, and it would have to be large enough to put on my wall or at least use as a computer background.

#13 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

TFP : D

• 2925 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 02:14 AM

Hmmmhmmm... I'm going with the general line here, i can do any sigs i need myself.

But I'd also like to encourage you to try something different.... Ahhmm, I'll just say it straight, your style is fairly generic, it lacks an artistic signature touch: It's a cut out character from a video game (or some other non-original CG art) on a flashily colored effect-made background, plus a fancy font.
That's what ~80% of starting out sig-image crafters do.

So, ahh, I'll also advice you to take anything people not into graphics tell you about your work with a grain of salt, as they say...
You see, I've got a number of friends and such people who tell me I should get some $$$ done with my graphics skills, but that's only because they don't really have much of a clue about what REAL pros can do with graphics. xD

So yeah, man, keep practicing and developing your skills, sigs and avatars are what I started with, then I found more interesting things to produce, like Warcraft 3 unit skins and such. ^^

Ahh, somebody's gonna shoot me for this, I just know it... xP

#14 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 03:31 AM

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg

#15 Sinharvest

Sinharvest

Your Cheerio Key Master

• 286 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 04:41 AM

Heh well i guess i was kinda expecting these replys but none the less im still gonna do it next week, just gotta find somewhere to advertise, thank you though mainly to solars :D And to all who gave me suggestions

#16 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 05:42 AM

Just remember SinHarvest, only ever publish your "own" content, if you publish stuff for commercial purposes that is actually not your own original works, you are at risk of legal action being taken against you, and the plantiff party is likely to be at an advantage over you in such a case.

Anyways, if you try your luck in a more broader range with stuff that is less redoable, then maybe you could start earning a bit commercially.
Just remember, "your" work, not something that isn't original. Believe me avoiding copyright issues is a lifesaver.

Classic Adventures - a Total Conversion compilation dedicated to bringing many of the old and new PnP modules into the wonderfully dangerous world that is Baldur's Gate II.   Fancy link button to Downloads page.

CA Forum.  Bugs to be squashed, feedback to be welcomed!

Website at: http://classicadventuresmod.com/
~***~***~***~

When in doubt, lockpick a mudcrab!

Beware the nug conspiracy!

#17 Rabain

Rabain

God

• 653 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 07:57 AM

There is a market for images like these as images for online advertisements etc. They are of a similar size and you could do some research into how to go about it. Google Ads for example appear on a lot of sites...someone makes their images right?

The only downside is that you can't just take images randomly from the internet and mix them together and sell them as your own. Each individual image may have a copyright attached to it meaning that the original artist is entitled to a portion of any profit you make, that is even if they give permission for you to use the image, which you have to ask for before using the image.

There are sites that offer images freely for use though most of them have a clause that you can't use them for onward sale. Very few sites will offer images for use and resale.

You would need to get a hold of something like Poser, Bryce, 3DSmax etc to generate your own character images or photoshop if your artistic skills are that good if you want your own images that are copyright by you and are okay to sell.

Think about it, if you make a bunch of images how would you like it if I copied them and changed the colour/changed them a bit and sold them as my own? You do most of the work, I get the profit...does that sound fair?
A knight without armour in a savage land...

#18 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 08:21 AM

One very good example is this: Link.
When the add person doesn't know what he is doing and presumes a few too many things.

PS, Sinharvester, this is just on of the really good reasons to hate Oblivion and everything it's makers stands for. :devil:

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#19 Sinharvest

Sinharvest

Your Cheerio Key Master

• 286 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 01:45 PM

Ok so i understand selling this stuff is against the law since im using somebody eleses work or something like that, well what other things could i do to make some cash in Photoshop? Website Design? Banners?

#20 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 03:46 PM

Web design is a good way to make money.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum