Buglist for 0.43

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 07:22 AM

Version 0.43 has many corrections to the older versions. I am sure that there are still more things we should change/correct. Please list them here and tell us which NPCs are in the party at the time of the problem, this really helps us figure out where the bug comes from. Thanks.

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website

#2 Lysan Lurraxol

Lysan Lurraxol
  • Modder
  • 899 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 12:38 PM

I'm not sure if this is a problem with my computer (as you know it has many problems, though thankfully its getting reformatted soon), but every area apart frrom the first one crashes when i try to move from area to area :blink:
All of the areas show up in Infinity Explorer, so I'm not sure what the problem is. :mellow:

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70?s and 80?s. Experience AD&D?s greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Classic Adventures Visit our homepage at Classic Adventures Homepage

#3 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 02 November 2007 - 03:57 PM

Are you using Vista?

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70's and 80's. Experience AD&D's greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Visit our homepage at http://classicadventuresmod.com/

#4 Lysan Lurraxol

Lysan Lurraxol
  • Modder
  • 899 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 03:36 AM

No, XP.

But my PC does have a sort of wormhole type virus which disables anything and everything that could be used to get rid of it (anti-virus, toolsets), and it disab;es anything with certain words in the title or application. It's probably objected to the filenames and won't open them. It can do this. I can no longer use shops/temples in BG II, becaues the files won't open/ :crying:

It should be fixed by the end of December. I think that this has nothing to do with CA though.

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70?s and 80?s. Experience AD&D?s greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Classic Adventures Visit our homepage at Classic Adventures Homepage

#5 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 05:21 AM

A virus/worm definitely has nothing to to with this mod or with BioWare's game engine. Unless it just likes trashing the files in this game.

After the install, this patch should have "biffed" all the new files from the override folder and into another bif file in your data folder. You should only have about 4 files left in the override folder. If you have lots more, the install didn't finish completely. I have found that sometimes the game can't load an area if the ARE is in the override but the WED file is still biffed. Then there are the other times that it works just fine. Oh, and because the last part which biffs the files also installs all of the area maps, if it didn't run, you have no backgrounds for your party to walk across.

Classic Adventures

#6 Acheron

Acheron
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 11:47 AM

After the install, this patch should have "biffed" all the new files from the override folder and into another bif file in your data folder. You should only have about 4 files left in the override folder. If you have lots more, the install didn't finish completely. I have found that sometimes the game can't load an area if the ARE is in the override but the WED file is still biffed. Then there are the other times that it works just fine. Oh, and because the last part which biffs the files also installs all of the area maps, if it didn't run, you have no backgrounds for your party to walk across.

This could be realated but I can't enter Saltmarsh (but have had no trouble entering other areas). I get a CTD every time I try. I have found that uninstalling 0.43 allows me to enter the area, and reinstalling it immediately after entering has no negative side affects (well not yet at least). Certainly the mod install indicated that it had been biffed, but I haven't checked whether that is actually the case (different computer than this one). No other mods are installed.

EDIT--

@Banter: I keep seeing the same banter over and over between Shadow and Dirbert (the one about the PC's leadership qualities).

@Rurik: When he is standing still, he repeatedly asks if I want to see his services when we're in his shop in Saltmarsh. Fortunately if he moves this does not occur. He did offer to craft the magical plate from the clear iron and gave Dirbert his present the first time he spoke up in hs shop.

-Acheron/Starcrunch

Edited by Acheron, 03 November 2007 - 12:39 PM.

#7 Belegur

Belegur
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 01:38 AM

I can second the CTD when first entering Saltmarsh. Running XP, like the above post.

Another thing is the Catharandamus/Aleigha encounter. I tried this numerous times, and one of two things always happened: if you trigger Cath's surrender dialogue, Aleigha becomes unkillable. The reverse happens if you trigger Aleigha's dialogue. This may be only a local issue, but the only way I found to resolve this was to attack both at the same time. If you can trigger both dialogues, all is well.

Edited by Belegur, 04 November 2007 - 01:48 AM.

#8 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 05:04 AM

The Cath/Aleigha mess has been difficult to fix. Thank you for telling me how you are attacking them, that gives me some options to work on.

Because they both have low HP amounts (just like your player should), it isn't that difficult to kill them before they can trigger their surrender dialog. So I added the MINHPA amulet which is a device BioWare created for this purpose. The creature can't die, therefore a dialog or script can kick in. That dialog then gives you the option of what to do with them. Each option "should" have dropped the amulet. I am sure that there is a dialog chain that isn't doing this, so I need to track down the ways you all can bypass this.

BTW - for those that are interested, the MINHPA item is used by trolls. This keeps them from dying in your fight. Their script has them fall on the ground, then the amulet is removed, then you can kill them.

Interesting about Saltmarsh. I was able to get it to work earlier but haven't gone back to retest. Also, the issue may be related to you already being there before. Each saved game has the ARE file of each area stored in your save. If you remove the ARE from a saved game (use NI) and then go back to Saltmarsh, does it work? I suspect the new area's ARE and the one in your saved game cause enough conflicts that the area crashes.

Classic Adventures

#9 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 05:36 AM

Okay, I did some digging and found the problem with Saltmarsh. One of the names of the new door didn't match between the ARE and the daytime WED file. The nighttime file seems to be okay. So, place this WED in your override folder and you should be okay.

Rename the .TXT ending of the file to .WED and you are fine. After what now 4 years, this site still doesn't allow WED files to be uploaded. Shhhissh.

Attached Files

Classic Adventures

#10 WizWom

WizWom
  • 270 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 03:36 PM

I just got out of the Silver Palace after recovering the gem, and I encountered Plath Rededge. She seems to have a violent encounter planned, by she doesn't go hostile. I decided to just attack, but I think it's a bug.

#11 WizWom

WizWom
  • 270 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 03:52 PM

After the bandit raid, trying to leave TC0010, I find the East side is active, but does not "activate" Saltmarsh.

And I seem to be getting a crash when loading Saltmarsh. Which is fixed with the updated TC0025.WED

Edited by WizWom, 05 November 2007 - 04:07 PM.

#12 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 05 November 2007 - 04:25 PM

Wizwom, it's great to see you back! Plath Rededge? I can?t remember who it is. It must be someone SirBillyBob added. I will check with him about the character.

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70's and 80's. Experience AD&D's greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Visit our homepage at http://classicadventuresmod.com/

#13 Belegur

Belegur
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:10 PM

Oh, one thing regarding Plath Rededge. She spawned all right after I left the kobold stronghold, but in her dialogue, she made reference to guards. None appeared in my game. Are there supposed to be any?

Another thing, while I'm at it. Is there a purpose to the texts you find in the haunted mansion? The ones that say they might be valuable to an alchemist, sage or whatever? Similar to that, I can remember in 0.42 showing the book merchant in Saltmarsh the dwarven fortress text, with him saying that he'd let me know in a week if he'd discovered anything. After a week, I went back, but he didn't have anything else to say beyond his usual dialogue.

Edited by Belegur, 05 November 2007 - 09:21 PM.

#14 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 01:35 AM

Another thing, while I'm at it. Is there a purpose to the texts you find in the haunted mansion? The ones that say they might be valuable to an alchemist, sage or whatever? Similar to that, I can remember in 0.42 showing the book merchant in Saltmarsh the dwarven fortress text, with him saying that he'd let me know in a week if he'd discovered anything. After a week, I went back, but he didn't have anything else to say beyond his usual dialogue.

Yes, after you have identefied them, you can put them to the quick item slot, and read them simular to the manuals and scrolls, and get boost to your lore ability, or special innate abilityes.(healing spells etc.)

Similar to that, I can remember in 0.42 showing the book merchant in Saltmarsh the dwarven fortress text, with him saying that he'd let me know in a week if he'd discovered anything. After a week, I went back, but he didn't have anything else to say beyond his usual dialogue.

I think that the text was ment to be a start of a quest, but it was never implemented, for time constraints... (or was it forgotten?). :unsure: As for now, the quest is finished when you get the 100 gold pieces, but in the future, I hope it could grow to be a quest that could be done insted of the haunted mansion. Or be part of the one.

Ps, I have no affiliation with the moding team, so I am just shooting ideas up in the air! ^_^

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 06 November 2007 - 01:37 AM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#15 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 06 November 2007 - 02:40 AM

Similar to that, I can remember in 0.42 showing the book merchant in Saltmarsh the dwarven fortress text, with him saying that he'd let me know in a week if he'd discovered anything. After a week, I went back, but he didn't have anything else to say beyond his usual dialogue.

It is indeed a high level quest for Rurik or possibly Chaarna if you played through the Silver Princess. (the document is found in both modules)

Ps, I have no affiliation with the moding team, so I am just shooting ideas up in the air!

It is everyones ideas which has helped CA grow. For these reasons I give my deepest thanks to all of the players who have played and continued to play CA. Everyones comments have influenced the direction of the story many times....I really need feedback about Catharandamus, Candella and Aleigha...(they all have the potential to become major characters depending on everyones feedback)

Edited by leahnkain, 06 November 2007 - 06:23 AM.

#16 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 06:02 AM

Plath is part of my new storyline for Shadow. She should have spawned with 3-4 guards around your party. It may depend on how spread out the party is but they should be there. Also, she is supposed to say something after a second or so. Shadow should respond. It works fine for me but the party is healthy and everyone is standing together. Can you remember how the party was setup on the screen? Was Paraway further from everyone else? I am not sure what breaks this encounter for you so I need to try something else, I guess.

The dwarf scroll is used for a future mod (Forge of Fury - one of the newer D&D mods, not a classic) that I hope to develop. Since it deals with dragons, now is not the time for your party to go mess with them (unless you plan an early grave). As for the "week" timer, it is set for 7 days. So you probably haven't spent a full week hanging around town. Even once the timer is done, he is just going to tell you to come to his store in Selgaunt for more information (and since you can't enter Selgaunt until the slavers are defeated....). Therefore, this storyline is complete for now. Please test the seven day timer though, it should work but I haven't gone back to verify in a long time.

Classic Adventures

#17 Acheron

Acheron
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 08:23 AM

Plath is part of my new storyline for Shadow. She should have spawned with 3-4 guards around your party. It may depend on how spread out the party is but they should be there. Also, she is supposed to say something after a second or so. Shadow should respond. It works fine for me but the party is healthy and everyone is standing together. Can you remember how the party was setup on the screen? Was Paraway further from everyone else? I am not sure what breaks this encounter for you so I need to try something else, I guess.

When I left the Sunless Citadel Plath spawned for me but I didn't see her (it was night time in a storm) and the party was very, very spread out. No guards spawned. Shadow and Plath did talk, and I refused to give up Shadow. Paraway wasn't in the party. Only one character was anywhere near Plath when she spoke (can't recall who).

Where is the book merchant in Saltmarsh?

Other issues:
When Blush dumps Aesdale and leaves the party, she then walks up to the PC and asks her normal leaving question. If the PC takes her back she rejoins, if the PC says it's best they parted Aesdale goes with her. I stopped this from happening by running away from her and keeping her from catching the PC, but it's annoying to have to dodge Blush everytime I walk around Mistmoor (I considered [CTRL-Y], but decided against it. Also Althon didn't acknowledge Blush's departure which seems odd as she outs him as the guy who had her pretend to love Aesdale (this may have to do with this issue, or it may simply be that he really has nothing to say).

-Acheron/Starcrunch

#18 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 11:12 AM

1) Where is the book merchant in Saltmarsh?
2) When Blush dumps Aesdale and leaves the party, she then walks up to the PC and asks her normal leaving question.

1) Up-per left cornet, behind the long fence.
2) Was wondering the same thing in 0.42(and possibly earlier) , but never raced it as they can be found in the Saltmarsh inn later(solo)... and I never needed either of them.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 06 November 2007 - 11:31 AM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#19 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:40 PM

Okay, we have some changes being planned for her leaving anyways, she gets the new location in Saltmarsh. Currently she is supposed to move to the empty building there in Mistmoor. So I guess I need to make sure she does do that leave dialog before I transport her.

BTW, she will give the PC a key so you can enter the new location. As you may have tested it now, the door won't open.

Classic Adventures

#20 VIIIofSwords

VIIIofSwords

I like women treacherous and manipulative.

• 594 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 07:22 PM

Not sure if it counts as a bug, but I noticed while looking through the various item files (something I do with every mod I installed, just to have some idea of what I can look forward to in terms of equipment) that while the description of the Ring of the Thief lists a bonus to pick pockets, it isn't actually there. At least, IEEP doesn't list it as one of the effects.

Also, is Chaarna not supposed to spawn to offer the Silver Princess option if the PC is Lawful Good? She didn't show up for me, so I pretty much had no option but the Sunless Citadel.

Edited by VIIIofSwords, 08 November 2007 - 07:24 PM.

"What do you do when there is an evil that your justice cannot defeat? Do you continue as you are, and allow the evil to fester? Or do you embrace one evil to defeat an evil greater still?"

"I used to dislike the idea of an unfair universe. Then I got to thinking: what if we did deserve all the awful things that happened to us, and didn't deserve any of the good? Suddenly, I found myself taking comfort in the thought of an inherently hostile and unfair universe."

VIII of Swords - my general, anything-goes blog