SMM Auto-DL / Auto-Installer (GUI) / Manual Install / WalkThru

• Please log in to reply
269 replies to this topic

#141 billy3

billy3
  • 138 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 10:26 AM

Hi bigmoshi

I noticed something... The find.exe process looks like it was started by weidu (or _weidu). If I stop the find.exe using task manager, the biffing (or whatever weidu's doing) continues.

I'm using weidu 203. Any idea what weidu may be forking find.exe for? I'm worried stopping the process may mess up the install.

#142 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 11:33 AM

Bigmoshi, as for the BG1 walktrough, i was wondering if you could include some extras. There are several characters in the BG1 game that you don't have to fight but their items (or the items they guard) are more than valuable... :Tasty: Many players would like to kill them but this is not an easy task (insane task i'd say). I'm refering to Doomsayer, Drizzt, Sir BillyBob. Is there an easy way to kill them (without cheating through cluaconsole) and what are the consequences of that? I don't want to break any plot of the game quests. Maybe if you kill them after their quests? :ROFL: I am mostly concerned about drizzt as he plays a major plot in BG2.

If you want to alter reality, you must first escape from it.

My Deviant Art account

#143 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 01 February 2008 - 01:04 PM

hey, thanks for this great combination, trying it presently.
i seem to have some problem though, when talking to imoen, it used to work fine, but now, whenever i talk to her, she leaves, telling me i've changed.
i'd think reputation, but it's 11, and i have no idea why she would do such a thing.

#144 bigmoshi

bigmoshi
  • Modder
  • 230 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 08:20 AM

I've also got another bug - some of the trolls are unkillable - even though they are listed as "Near Death", they are never knocked down, and they can't be killed with either acid or fire. I know two instances of this happening. The first one is related to Unfinished Business mod, the component in question is the Kidnapping of Boo. Half way doing it, the Pet Shop owner accidentally teleports you to the troll mound/druid grove near Trademeet, and the trolls you encounter there are unkillable. I circumvented this by running the hell out of there, heheh.

The second one was in de'Arnise keep, after opening the draw bridge and going back into the first level of the keep. The single troll at the front entrance battling 2 de'Arnise is also unkillable.

My guess is that it involves some sort of script that is making them invulnerable. I haven't battled Tor'Gal yet to see if he is invulnerable as well.

Yo Rabbi! Thanks on the troll tip. Which maps were those? The one at de'Arnise keep, was it level 1 indoors? I'll try to spawn a couple of them and see what happens. :D

I'll look for the save game and send you thee save game soon.
Edit:
Hm, I can't seem to find your email address anywhere. You can tell me your email address here or send me one at "rabbi_satan@hotmail.com"

Thanks. My email is bigmoshi08@yahoo.com. But I'll send you an email as well.

Hi bigmoshi

I noticed something... The find.exe process looks like it was started by weidu (or _weidu). If I stop the find.exe using task manager, the biffing (or whatever weidu's doing) continues.

I'm using weidu 203. Any idea what weidu may be forking find.exe for? I'm worried stopping the process may mess up the install.

Hi Billy! Do you mean that the biffing of BGT stalls because some find.exe proc starts? Haven't tried with 2.03, but i'll try 2.04 and see if the problem persists. Btw, are you on vista or xp? :blink:

Bigmoshi, as for the BG1 walktrough, i was wondering if you could include some extras. There are several characters in the BG1 game that you don't have to fight but their items (or the items they guard) are more than valuable... :Tasty: Many players would like to kill them but this is not an easy task (insane task i'd say). I'm refering to Doomsayer, Drizzt, Sir BillyBob. Is there an easy way to kill them (without cheating through cluaconsole) and what are the consequences of that? I don't want to break any plot of the game quests. Maybe if you kill them after their quests? :ROFL: I am mostly concerned about drizzt as he plays a major plot in BG2.

Okay noted, I'll keep my eyes peeled for interesting stuff. But generally I'm trying to avoid jotting notes on how to kill enemies. The walkthru is probably more of a quest guide than a strategy guide. Yeah, I was thinking of ripping SirBillyBob off! He was carrying loads of OMG-type of equipment. I did try to whack him but died trying :'( Anyway, you could try killing Drizzt, as I think at the most he won't help you fight Bodhi. But probably not SBB. :P

hey, thanks for this great combination, trying it presently.
i seem to have some problem though, when talking to imoen, it used to work fine, but now, whenever i talk to her, she leaves, telling me i've changed.
i'd think reputation, but it's 11, and i have no idea why she would do such a thing.

Hi there! Was it in Bg1 or Bg2, and what does she say before leaving? Btw, if you could you post the saved game somewhere to try it out that would be great. Thanks ! :)

"[You are] the foe of my foe, friend of my friend, by the first sapling that rose where Shilmista now stands, and by the shadow it will cast before all things will end, I swear to give my blood for you." - Kivan when we meet Imanel Silversword.

bigmoshiteam2.jpg

@ SMM Auto DL / Auto-Installer / Manual Install / Walkthru - based on Erebusant's installation @
@ Infinity Explorer v0.85 (Some fixes for v0.75/v0.80) @
@ Future of MegaMods? - Working with Mega-Modification Installations - by Ascension64 @

#145 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 02 February 2008 - 12:51 PM

no, i was an idiot, it appears that if you make some jokes regarding marriage to imoen, she'll leave, i went back to an old save, and lost the quicksave, but it's just something that was probably intended.

#146 Valiad

Valiad
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 04:26 PM

Hello again!

Finishing BG1 main plot now.Have completed almost everything from the original content and all the extra mods apart from the NTotSC part where u have to return from Candlekeep with the unknowing book(although I got the answers to finish the quest before entering there).Same happened with some parts from the SotB Garrote part.Anyway all works smoothly so far apart from one strange bug I encountered and posting it here just for the record(possible spoilers).

As soon as I entered the DSotSC content with Jet'laya(had a general save prior to this ofc) I noticed that after I killed her sister and the Dark One when I tried to return to Beregost the game would crush while loading the Beregost area(actually at the 20% of the loading bar I heard a windows error sound(ding!) and the screen froze there without being able to alt tab, alt ctr del or whatever.
Tried restarting from my previous save and it all worked splendid on my second run of the forests.Now I don't know if it has anything to do with it but at the first run if I rested at Jet'laya's sister area with a frequence 4/5 times my rest was interrupted from around 10 zombies that spawned.Not peculiar but all those zombies talked to me one after another saying some strange dialogs whichlookedfamiliar..It appears that all of them were the Zombie mayors that u meet at the Zombie town at the Beholder lair from BG2 Cult of the Eye storyline!They were quite hard for my grp so I run away from them.As soon as they were covered from the fog of war they just disappeared :mellow: On my second run I tried to get to the area at night so I would meet the sister with no need to rest in that place and with no mayors spawned Beregost loaded fine thereafter.Not sure it had anything to do with it just mentioning for the record as I said earlier.
Entering BG2 tonight and wanted to know what stuff gets imported at the beginning from BG1(NPCs e.g. no, but what about items and gold?)Doesn't matter that much ofc just thought I wanted to know prior to ending BG1.

Thanks again in advance for any answers! Have fun all :rolleyes:

P.S. Oh about the mithril rings and Will Scarlet's armor they say smth about getting them upgraded or smth but haven't found a smith/mage or smth like that place so far that does smth like that.Any info on that?

Edited by Valiad, 02 February 2008 - 04:28 PM.

#147 cmorgan

cmorgan
  • Modder
  • 2301 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 08:01 AM

The mithril rings only get upgraded if yu ae in a party with Xzar and completing his quest (BG1NPC) - if not, then they are great cash.

#148 Thesslian

Thesslian
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 09:02 PM

Would someone be so kind as to help me locate 3 files so that I may use the auto installer. I dread doing manual installs, since I have done many before and almost always end up being hit with a slowdown and the game becomes unplayable. I would really like to be able to play through a mega mod from start to finish at least once.

The three files I am unable to locate are:

BGT105a_Install.rar
SirensCall_v71_BGT.rar
Ribalds Genie V2.6.exe

I can find newer or older versions of them, but I am having no luck finding those particular versions. Any help is greatly appreciated.

#149 Rabbi Satan

Rabbi Satan
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 09:46 PM

Major Bug:

Since I discovered that some of the Trolls are virtually unkillable, I decided to battle Tor'Gal and see if this extended to him - and unfortunately, it does. Tor'Gal is also unkillable. He whittles down to "Near Death" status, but never collapses into a heap to have casters finish him off with acid or flame arrows. I haven't tested this with Crom Fayr or any other insta troll kill weapons yet.

#150 bigmoshi

bigmoshi
  • Modder
  • 230 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 08:26 AM

Argh!! My post disappeared :crying: .. reposting..

no, i was an idiot, it appears that if you make some jokes regarding marriage to imoen, she'll leave, i went back to an old save, and lost the quicksave, but it's just something that was probably intended.

Hey man, no probs. Cheers :cheers:

Hello again!

Finishing BG1 main plot now.Have completed almost everything from the original content and all the extra mods apart from the NTotSC part where u have to return from Candlekeep with the unknowing book(although I got the answers to finish the quest before entering there).Same happened with some parts from the SotB Garrote part.Anyway all works smoothly so far apart from one strange bug I encountered and posting it here just for the record(possible spoilers).

As soon as I entered the DSotSC content with Jet'laya(had a general save prior to this ofc) I noticed that after I killed her sister and the Dark One when I tried to return to Beregost the game would crush while loading the Beregost area(actually at the 20% of the loading bar I heard a windows error sound(ding!) and the screen froze there without being able to alt tab, alt ctr del or whatever.
Tried restarting from my previous save and it all worked splendid on my second run of the forests.Now I don't know if it has anything to do with it but at the first run if I rested at Jet'laya's sister area with a frequence 4/5 times my rest was interrupted from around 10 zombies that spawned.Not peculiar but all those zombies talked to me one after another saying some strange dialogs whichlookedfamiliar..It appears that all of them were the Zombie mayors that u meet at the Zombie town at the Beholder lair from BG2 Cult of the Eye storyline!They were quite hard for my grp so I run away from them.As soon as they were covered from the fog of war they just disappeared :mellow: On my second run I tried to get to the area at night so I would meet the sister with no need to rest in that place and with no mayors spawned Beregost loaded fine thereafter.Not sure it had anything to do with it just mentioning for the record as I said earlier.
Entering BG2 tonight and wanted to know what stuff gets imported at the beginning from BG1(NPCs e.g. no, but what about items and gold?)Doesn't matter that much ofc just thought I wanted to know prior to ending BG1.

Thanks again in advance for any answers! Have fun all :rolleyes:

Hi Valiad! That crash in beregost could also be due to this http://www.shsforums...showtopic=24121.

Not sure if I get you right, but if you mean you want to use your BG1 items in BG2, then you can do this. When the BG2 episode starts with the blank screen, press pause immediately. Then, press "I" to get into your inventory and drop all your items on the floor. After Imoen opens your cage, you can pick up those items again.

Since I discovered that some of the Trolls are virtually unkillable, I decided to battle Tor'Gal and see if this extended to him - and unfortunately, it does. Tor'Gal is also unkillable. He whittles down to "Near Death" status, but never collapses into a heap to have casters finish him off with acid or flame arrows. I haven't tested this with Crom Fayr or any other insta troll kill weapons yet.

Confirmed. I just clua'ed Torgal and he doesn't even die with a CTRL+Y!! Will check it out. Thanks! :D

Would someone be so kind as to help me locate 3 files so that I may use the auto installer. I dread doing manual installs, since I have done many before and almost always end up being hit with a slowdown and the game becomes unplayable. I would really like to be able to play through a mega mod from start to finish at least once.

The three files I am unable to locate are:

BGT105a_Install.rar
SirensCall_v71_BGT.rar
Ribalds Genie V2.6.exe

I can find newer or older versions of them, but I am having no luck finding those particular versions. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi Thesslian! the mirrors for them are gone. You can try the newer versions for the mods above and edit a little of your smm-config.xml file. Alternatively, you can consider the updated config that I just posted. Hope this helps.

Edited by bigmoshi, 04 February 2008 - 08:30 AM.

"[You are] the foe of my foe, friend of my friend, by the first sapling that rose where Shilmista now stands, and by the shadow it will cast before all things will end, I swear to give my blood for you." - Kivan when we meet Imanel Silversword.

bigmoshiteam2.jpg

@ SMM Auto DL / Auto-Installer / Manual Install / Walkthru - based on Erebusant's installation @
@ Future of MegaMods? - Working with Mega-Modification Installations - by Ascension64 @

#151 billy3

billy3
  • 138 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:29 AM

Hi bigmoshi,

I'm using XP Media Center with SP2.

When I stopped the find processes, the installation continued, and I noticed a find process pop up again in task manager, but this time it was just for about 2 secs and then it went away.

The stall isn't just during the installation of BGT though, it can happen while install SOS, TDD, anything that starts to biff a lot.

#152 Thesslian

Thesslian
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 10:58 PM

Thank you bigmoshi. I have it all installed now with the updated version you posted. The install process stopped during Setup-BG2_Tweaks.exe at Remove racial requirements for romances and a few steps after that all related to romances. I selected no changes on all of them and then the installer took off again.

This is about the best addition to Baldurs Gate modding ever. Thanks for making it.

#153 Rabbi Satan

Rabbi Satan
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 12:07 AM

I haven't played any further yet, I'm still trying to figure out what is causing the crash to desktop apon entering Cromwell's House. And also trying to find something to support playing BGII with multiple monitors. Anyone know anything about the latter?

Also, does anyone know of any debugging tools to help diagnose problems with CTDs? Thanks :)

#154 Valiad

Valiad
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 02:02 AM

Major Bug:

Hello.I encoutered the same problem last night with 1 troll that spawns and fights the de'Arnise guards as soon as they enter the building and with Tor'gal himself.I did a search at the BP forum and found a solution.It appears its an old BP bug so you can either overwrite your Tor'gal .cre file with a fixed one in this post or install a generic troll modification that alters all trolls in general(I went for the .cre file works great). Do a search with Troll as a keyword in BP forum and you will find it can't link it atm in a net cafe and it doesn't allow me to copy paste the url(jesus :()

Edited by Valiad, 05 February 2008 - 02:05 AM.

#155 Rabbi Satan

Rabbi Satan
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 05:18 AM

Some good news Bigmoshi, the three bugs I mentioned (Arena blue circle, unkillable trolls, and Cromwell smithy crashing) are potentially solvable. Valiad prompted me to do a bit of searching on the forums, and I found a surefire solution to the cromwell crash. It appears to be happening to all areas sharing the same .bif area. eresubant provided a fix in a thread in the RoT subforum:

http://www.shsforums...&...st&p=306701

And there seems to be a myriad of solutions to the troll problem:

http://www.shsforums...;highlite=troll

I tried the streamlined trolls component solution, but that seriously messed up the names of the locations on the world map, so I wouldn't recommend it. I'm not sure if it even does fix the unkillable trolls and Tor'Gal, but I'm sure no one would want this solution anyway.

And the arena circle:

http://www.shsforums...mp;#entry333831

#156 Valiad

Valiad
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:20 AM

About Tor'gal again:

I had a saved game outside his room and even though I overwrote his .cre file he didn't seem to die.I suppose upon entering the area he gets kindah implemented in your savegame like that and doesn't die even though I tried leaving his area and going back in.Spawning via console though TORGAL.cre gave me the dialogs again and he died normally and the quest moved on normally from there, having the bugged Tor'gal alive though in his original room(TORGAL2.cre is him lying down unconcious and TORGAL3.cre although drops him down like regular trolls, starts with him on hostile so yo don't get the starting dialogs to proceed with the quest).
Loading a generic de'Arnise save before entering his area for the first time though worked ok as soon as I reached him.About the other unkillable troll though I just avoided it until de'Arnise was restored as my Stronghold and the new area loads clear of monsters(should clear the bugged Tor'gal as well in case you got no save game prior to him and are forced to spawn him).

#157 bigmoshi

bigmoshi
  • Modder
  • 230 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 12:11 PM

Thank you bigmoshi. I have it all installed now with the updated version you posted. The install process stopped during Setup-BG2_Tweaks.exe at Remove racial requirements for romances and a few steps after that all related to romances. I selected no changes on all of them and then the installer took off again.

This is about the best addition to Baldurs Gate modding ever. Thanks for making it.

Hi Thesslian, the greater part of the effort really comes from those modmakers, so do enjoy the mods! :D

Hi bigmoshi,

I'm using XP Media Center with SP2.

When I stopped the find processes, the installation continued, and I noticed a find process pop up again in task manager, but this time it was just for about 2 secs and then it went away.

The stall isn't just during the installation of BGT though, it can happen while install SOS, TDD, anything that starts to biff a lot.

Installing everything would really take too long. Another 15-min way to check if terminating find.exe is ok, is to do it only for BGT by terminating the find process. Once BGT is done, stop the whole installation and check the size of the biff files in bg2\data. If they look about right, then I think stopping find.exe could be your solution. Here's a list of the biff filesizes if you need to do a quick comparison. Attached File  biff_sizes.txt   10.87K   552 downloads

------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Rabbi & Valiad, done with the unkillable trolls. Backup KPTROL03.CRE & Torgal.CRE and download RCT7 resource patch.

Edit: Also, erebusant was spot on. Cromwell (AR0334) ctd fix uploaded as RCT6.

Rabbi! You got a save game that I could test out the arena pit with? Tks! :P

Edited by bigmoshi, 05 February 2008 - 12:52 PM.

bigmoshiteam2.jpg

#158 Thesslian

Thesslian
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 05:00 PM

OK, doing a manual install this time. I played for about 15 minutes and noticed all the armor had been nerfed and nuked the install in disgust. So, going back through and leaving out a few components, mostly things like nerfed armor, backstabbing and things some rule changes I don't care for. Now to the question.

On the manual install guide under scsII there are a few items you have with an arrow pointing to them saying problem. Should I skip those or leave them in? *EDIT* Duh, never mind. Noticed it in the i-7 part. I fail at reading today.

On another note, the final step of the auto installer did this:

// Recently Uninstalled: ~SETUP-GUI.TP2~ #0 #0 // Game Graphical User Interface (GUI) -> "Original SoA/ToB"
// Recently Uninstalled: ~SETUP-GUI.TP2~ #0 #7 // "Tortured Souls" - just nice in-game Fonts

No clue why, but it doesn't really seem important, just odd.

Edited by Thesslian, 06 February 2008 - 02:26 AM.

#159 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 06:31 PM

Okay noted, I'll keep my eyes peeled for interesting stuff. But generally I'm trying to avoid jotting notes on how to kill enemies. The walkthru is probably more of a quest guide than a strategy guide. Yeah, I was thinking of ripping SirBillyBob off! He was carrying loads of OMG-type of equipment. I did try to whack him but died trying :'( Anyway, you could try killing Drizzt, as I think at the most he won't help you fight Bodhi. But probably not SBB. :P

Emm, would that mean that if i manage to kill SBB there would be a problem later in the BG game? Or BG2? If you don't mind I'll take my chances if not. Hope he is not unkillable. About drizzt, sorry for asking again but are you sure there would be no problem in ROT if i have killed him in BG1? I don't mimd for the Bodhi help. I just don't wanna loose ROT...
Anyway, i'll wait for the new updates of kind diamond. Hope NEJ would be on the next SMM. Thanks again for your efforts!

If you want to alter reality, you must first escape from it.

My Deviant Art account

#160 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 06 February 2008 - 06:06 AM

''lo. i've a problem,
i've been using this sweet auto-installer for a while now, and have been playing with great pleasure, but i can't anymore.
i finished bg1, talk to belt, go to amn, but in the kidnapping cutscene, something goes wrong, what happens: flash to woods, somone asks mae'var something, sleeping movie, flash to woods, everybody just standing there, nothing happening.

any idea what could be the cause? or how i could determine it?
any solution?