IE games and NVidia Series 8 video cards

• Please log in to reply
340 replies to this topic

#101 eddy

eddy
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:23 AM

Hi,

I can fully understand that, I'd also be sceptical if someone posts a .dll somewhere and asks people to try it out ;)
However the full source code is also available under GPL, so if someone want's to review what the patch does:
http://github.com/jl...fix/tree/master

The patcher really only does a s/ddraw.dll/nvddf.dll/g, so feel free to make a WeiDU mod from this. I'd appreciate it if you send the source file for the mod installer back to me so that I can add them to the git repository.

#102 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:42 AM

Well, WeiDU mods are composed of a .tp2 file describing the installation steps (said file is shipped plain-text to the end user), a copy of WeiDU and the files that should be copied/handled (in your case, the .dll and the readme). Sending you the 'source' is redundant over just downloading the mod ;)

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#103 eddy

eddy
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:48 AM

That's ok then, I didn't know the exact steps to produce a WeiDU mod. ;)

#104 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:37 AM

I've added your utility (repackaged in WeiDU) to the original post and pushed the tp2 to you via git (it should be in your fork queue in the github menu).

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public

#105 eddy

eddy
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:37 AM

Thanks a lot!

#106 -Thanks-

-Thanks-

Posted 12 March 2009 - 06:48 PM

Bigg and the guys who have helped, youre amazing! ^_^
Thanks a whole LOOOOOOOOOOOT!

#107 scient

scient
  • Modder
  • 1010 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 09:58 AM

Nice job eddy! That kinda driver/gfx programming is bit beyond me since I never had a need to use anything beyond gdi+. I'll def have to check out source.

Also, not having one of affected NVIDIA cards was another issue. This was something I really wanted to get sorted, kudos!

Edited by scient, 13 March 2009 - 09:59 AM.

Those interested in the classic TBS game Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri / Alien Crossover should check out the unofficial patch I work on here.

#108 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 15 March 2009 - 03:55 PM

Thank you eddy, the fix is working great!

Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to work with the widescreen mod... EXE patching fails regardless of the install order.
Is there any chance that the nvidia fix could be combined with the widescreen mod?

#109 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 04:07 PM

There's no reason why it shouldn't work. I'll leave to yourself the work of RTFMing and finding out what you're doing wrong with WSM.

#110 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 15 March 2009 - 05:07 PM

I know this is the Internet and all, but there's no need to be rude.

I was able to install everything properly after uninstalling both mods, re-applying the official patch, and then re-installing the mods.

Thanks again to eddy and the bigg for their great contributions to the community.

#111 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:40 AM

I know this is the Internet and all, but there's no need to be rude.

There IS need when over 100 people have asked the same question.

#112 -Anon-

-Anon-

Posted 19 March 2009 - 03:48 AM

Hey just wanted to let you all know I Used your nvidia fix for the black boxes in my 8800gtx.. and it worked! Cheers

#113 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:53 AM

Ok, i have a problem here...
While this new patch resolved the problem with transparency, my system still becomes unresponsive while someone casts spells (have 8800GTX card).
This also happens without eddys/Biggs patch, if software transparency is disabled in video options of the game.

I get like 1 frame per second until the cast was finished and in most cases it does lock up my system completely (can barely move mouse pointer & etc), so a restart is needed.

I can manage to terminate PST process with "Antifreeze" (http://www.resplendence.com/antifreeze), but i after that, i get lockups and 1fps slowdowns in ANY game/3d application that i try to run...I guess PST does something to nvidia driver, so again, a restart is needed.

- Here is a screenshot of "Video Card Stability Test" tool(http://freestone-gro...bility-test.htm), if you run it after PTS did something to nvidia driver (you get artifacts and lockups):
http://img17.imagesh.../vcst01prob.png (<- artifacts and system lockups)

Can anyone else confirm this behavior?
Guess ill keep on playing with software transparency on, which doenst lock up my system, but make the game run more sluggish.

#114 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 01:14 PM

No real idea, sorry - it works fine for me.

#115 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 19 March 2009 - 02:43 PM

No real idea, sorry - it works fine for me.

Hmm, strange. Do you have Nvidia 7xxx/8xxx series card?

When that happened, my first idea was that there is something wrong with my card's memory, but then ive found other people with the same prob:
http://forums.nvidia...showtopic=67351
http://forums.nvidia...showtopic=22506
Besides, this only happens with PST.
I think that game's effects trigger something in nvidia driver routine and mess it up.

Going to try it within virtual box & win98 and see what happens.

#116 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 03:31 PM

Hmm, strange. Do you have Nvidia 7xxx/8xxx series card?

640MB variant of the 8800 GTS. I didn't finish the game, but I witnessed a good number of spells (including some of those which change the background, like E.G. Mechanus' Cannon) without any issue.

#117 Kajidourden

Kajidourden
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 03:28 PM

Ok, so first thing's first, i installed BGII and TOB and at first not a single graphics setup would work, with the screen flashing uncontrollably. I luckily found the solution in a help forum on another website, however now i have a whole host of other problems.

Systems is as follows
GeForce8800 GTX
4gb Ram
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU @2.4ghz (4CPUs)
Vista Pro

Anyhow, my game crashes all the time, when i right-click certain objects to examine them or indentify them it crashes immediately, also, with a few pieces of equipment when i try to equip them it also crashes, though i am able to equip %99 of the items ive come across, about %50 of the items cause me to crash upon examining them though. I turned off V-sync already, which fixed that first problem, but now im at a loss, and REALLY frustrated.
An assertion failed in CnVid Image 3d.app at line number 629
Programmer says:CVid cell larger than fx

This is the error im getting when i examine certain pieces of gear or throw certain gear on certain people, it isnt listed on biowares FAQ so i thought id search for the solution here

Edited by Kajidourden, 21 March 2009 - 04:50 PM.

#118 Kajidourden

Kajidourden
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 05:41 PM

Ok, so first thing's first, i installed BGII and TOB and at first not a single graphics setup would work, with the screen flashing uncontrollably. I luckily found the solution in a help forum on another website, however now i have a whole host of other problems.

Systems is as follows
GeForce8800 GTX
4gb Ram
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU @2.4ghz (4CPUs)
Vista Pro

Anyhow, my game crashes all the time, when i right-click certain objects to examine them or indentify them it crashes immediately, also, with a few pieces of equipment when i try to equip them it also crashes, though i am able to equip %99 of the items ive come across, about %50 of the items cause me to crash upon examining them though. I turned off V-sync already, which fixed that first problem, but now im at a loss, and REALLY frustrated.

This is the error im getting when i examine certain pieces of gear or throw certain gear on certain people, it isnt listed on biowares FAQ so i thought id search for the solution here

Sorry, was trying to edit it and hit buttons too fast lol meant to add this:

I am in fact running the dreaded windows vista; however, i have also set the program to run in xp service pack 2 config and run as an administrator to resolve the possibility of those issues. The error message i get is as follows

Just from reading that it sounds like my graphics card isnt playing nicely with the program, but im not sure what i can change. I have tried turning off the 3d settings but will play with it a bit more and let you know.
Tried just about everything 3d setting related no dice so far if anyone has any ideas please lemme know, also, removed all anti-aliasing same way i did V-sync using RivaTuner, still no dice.

Edited by Kajidourden, 21 March 2009 - 05:51 PM.

#119 Kajidourden

Kajidourden
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:39 PM

Ok, so i finally figured out what i could do to fix the problem, for anyone having the same issue. It was really quite simple, after fooling with anti-aliasing and other options a thousand times over i finally went back and noticed that the resolution i was using was not supported by the game. So to remedy this i at first turned the resolution down to a painfully crappy 800x600, the highest resolution the game officially supports. However i was not satisfied with these results so i went back and did a lot of testing to find that 1024 X 768 works just fine, although it is unsupported, it does not make the game crash, as does the next resolution up (i forgot exactly what, but it hardly matters) so keep that in mind, you can push it to 1024 X 768 but thats about it really

#120 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 02:53 AM

Ok, so i finally figured out what i could do to fix the problem, for anyone having the same issue. It was really quite simple, after fooling with anti-aliasing and other options a thousand times over i finally went back and noticed that the resolution i was using was not supported by the game.

That's the official story, without the Widescreen mod, have you tried it?

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.