Photo

IE games and NVidia Series 8 video cards

• Please log in to reply
340 replies to this topic

#121 Kajidourden

Kajidourden
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 05:32 AM

Ok, so i finally figured out what i could do to fix the problem, for anyone having the same issue. It was really quite simple, after fooling with anti-aliasing and other options a thousand times over i finally went back and noticed that the resolution i was using was not supported by the game.

That's the official story, without the Widescreen mod, have you tried it?

I have not, but i will look into it. I just wanted to make it work without any mods applied, as they could potentially just cause more problems in the end, with files being changed and all that.

#122 Water Man

Water Man
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 05:37 AM

This is an awesome fix. The Nvidia Fix works on my 8500 GT and I no longer have the mouse trail issues or any of the other HW accel problems...

I wonder if this would fix the problems with FF8. Hmm.

Edited by Water Man, 23 March 2009 - 05:38 AM.

#123 The Red Knight

The Red Knight
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 12:33 PM

Posted Image

This is what my Bg looks like, the black boxes are around words and such as well, like when irenicus talks. I downloaded to utility and widescreen mod, and I checked my Bg2 settings

#124 Bozu

Bozu
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:32 AM

This is what my Bg looks like, the black boxes are around words and such as well, like when irenicus talks. I downloaded to utility and widescreen mod, and I checked my Bg2 settings

Hello everyone!
Knight consider yourself relatively lucky! just take a look on this: http://screencast.com/t/JvkDbvZfLT

Did you tried the all the fix-ups? The "Bigg Weidued Eddy fix up"Here is a list of my procedures. Nothing helped me, but perhaps it can help you:

"Strange graphic issue + Lock up/Freeze (got to reset)

Got the Big World 6.0 with only standard mods. This strange graphic issue doesn't seem to occur with original game, but with BGT.
Usually I can handle myself with problems like that, but this time i'm clueless.
It's really annoying. Specially because I was planing to convert an oooold mod of my own to BWP (still weiduing it, by the way, so nothing related to the issue). It can run for about 25min, 1hour, 10min… it`s random. The game suddenly goes blurry like THIS: http://screencast.com/t/JvkDbvZfLT

After this strange graphic effect, it goes running for about 20 or 30 seconds and then it freezes.

Trying to save the game is useless (if possible...) because it’ll not load (file is corrupted).

There is no AntiVirus or background running. This PC was intended to be devoted to BG.
So, I Initialy suspected it could be happening due to:

1.The size of the override folder. But I did a clean install, biffed and it’s now around 200mb, which (I think) is not much. It didn't help anyway.
2. Something related to corrupted savegames. But it's not. By the way Beregost crashfixer utility is great, although it can't help here :)
3.Direct X thing. Did a downgrade, and then an upgrade. It was useless. Reinstal graphic card drivers. Also useless.
4.Config files: Tried to disable the vertex padding. Tried another resolution, even tried without graphic 3D acceleration…. Didn’t work.
It's happening in both windowed and fullscreen modes.

5.I reduced the number of mods (all of them are for standard class for Big Project, so it’s supposed to be ok). Another thing, I didn’t went crazy installing every single mod, but only about half of the standard mods suggested for BGT instructions (strictly followed). Did'n work too....

Finally I formatted the system, fresh windows XP, and did a clean install again.
Game apparently was free of this problem for about... half a day.

The monitor is widescreen, but didn`t put a widescreen mod on. Resolution used ingame: 1024 / 32bit, but it seems worthless to change that, since it also happens in 800.
The card on that machine (and I would like to kept that one dedicated to BGT… ) is NVidia 6200 GeForce Turbocrap. I`m upgrading the drivers right now… but somewhat I suspect it will not work… Also tested other 3D applications (far heavier than the old BGII…) and they work fine (so, I think it`s not the card).
I tried to create a profile for ToB and BGmain on the NVidia panel, disabling VSync, and a few other things. Good for nothig....
At last, I've tried Rivatuner, but it could'nt help.
But as I recall, I've played IE games on that very same machine without problems before (was BGII SoA, without ToB).

Any ideas or am I doomed?

The most sincere thank's in adavance. "

#125 Adul

Adul
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 06:38 AM

Hi, I had used the Widescreen mod on a previous system without problem and it worked great, and I'm very grateful to the makers. This time however I seem to have encountered a problem I can't figure out how to get around. I've been trying to search this thread and others for a solution, but so far I'm out of ideas as to what I'm doing/using wrong.

The setup:
  • Game: BG2 (with BGT)
  • Mods: BGT, Charm Patch, a few BGTTweaks modules, Widescreen
  • Config: the setup The Bigg provided in the first post
  • Display Adapter: 9600 GT
  • Game resolution: 1280×1024
The problem:

The bottom and the right panel in the game interface disappear.
Posted Image

To remedy the problem, so far I've tried:
  • Reinstalling the game from disk (twice, with varying install order of mods)
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling my mods in varying orders, usually installing Widescreen last
  • Removing certain mods to see if the issue is caused by incompatibility between mods
  • Setting the settings in BG Config to various values, using the setup provided by The Bigg in the first post as the default one
  • After it hadn't work, I've tried installing standard GUI mods and re-installing Widescreen on top of them
Neither of those solved the problem.

I'm sorry if this problem has a common solution but I've somehow missed it. (But I still hope that is the case.) Does anyone have any further ideas?

Edited by Adul, 05 April 2009 - 06:42 AM.

#126 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 07:19 AM

To remedy the problem, so far I've tried:

• Reinstalling the game from disk (twice, with varying install order of mods)
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling my mods in varying orders, usually installing Widescreen last
  • Removing certain mods to see if the issue is caused by incompatibility between mods
  • Setting the settings in BG Config to various values, using the setup provided by The Bigg in the first post as the default one
  • After it hadn't work, I've tried installing standard GUI mods and re-installing Widescreen on top of them
Neither of those solved the problem.
I'm sorry if this problem has a common solution but I've somehow missed it. (But I still hope that is the case.) Does anyone have any further ideas?

When you reinstalled, did you delete the game directory after you did the uninstallation? As the old files stay at the directory even though you uninstall the game and so they will cause all kinds of havoc. So uninstall the BG2 as a game, delete the game directory, reinstall the BG2:SoA and ToB+patch v2.5.26498 and then play the game so it autosaves after character creation. Set the screen configuration to 800x600 when you start the game the very first time, and set the others setting this threads first post says.

Then mod the game(Charm Patch, BGT, the few BGTTweaks)... and then install the GUI mod with the setup-gui.exe that is in the game directory after the BGT installation. After that, install the Widescreen mod(v2.1) to 1280×1024, and then you should be able to play the game without any problems.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#127 Adul

Adul
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:02 AM

Thank you for the suggestion, I've done as you said and now it works! I was silly for not thinking of deleting the leftover game files after uninstallation.

#128 -Rafe-

-Rafe-

Posted 11 April 2009 - 07:02 PM

Ok, i have a problem here...
While this new patch resolved the problem with transparency, my system still becomes unresponsive while someone casts spells (have 8800GTX card).
This also happens without eddys/Biggs patch, if software transparency is disabled in video options of the game.

I get like 1 frame per second until the cast was finished and in most cases it does lock up my system completely (can barely move mouse pointer & etc), so a restart is needed.

I can manage to terminate PST process with "Antifreeze" (http://www.resplendence.com/antifreeze), but i after that, i get lockups and 1fps slowdowns in ANY game/3d application that i try to run...I guess PST does something to nvidia driver, so again, a restart is needed.

- Here is a screenshot of "Video Card Stability Test" tool(http://freestone-gro...bility-test.htm), if you run it after PTS did something to nvidia driver (you get artifacts and lockups):
http://img17.imagesh.../vcst01prob.png (<- artifacts and system lockups)

Can anyone else confirm this behavior?
Guess ill keep on playing with software transparency on, which doenst lock up my system, but make the game run more sluggish.

No real idea, sorry - it works fine for me.

Hmm, strange. Do you have Nvidia 7xxx/8xxx series card?

When that happened, my first idea was that there is something wrong with my card's memory, but then ive found other people with the same prob:
http://forums.nvidia...showtopic=67351
http://forums.nvidia...showtopic=22506
Besides, this only happens with PST.
I think that game's effects trigger something in nvidia driver routine and mess it up.

Going to try it within virtual box & win98 and see what happens.

OK over 100 posts and someone FINALLY posts a similar enquiry to MY original post of lockups during spellcasts in PST, Deus what a trainwreck.

The posts regarding black box transparency issues and relevant fixes seem to have worked as did the post regarding installing the very latest nvidia drivers, so ty to those ppl.

Turning down hardware acceleration to lvl 3 (disable direct draw blah blah) works to correct spellcast slowdown, as for the mousetrails that have appeared, I'll try dazzles fix, if not it's no biggie. TY to those ppl too.

How my post turned into this monster I don't know, maybe ppl should post issues about a diff game in a new post eh? as for the bigg's comments some have found rude, after reading over 100 posts a large potion of which should not have even appeared if the poster had bothered to read the others first, I can fully understand his frame of mind on this matter.

PPL IF U ARE GOING TO POST WITH AN ISSUE ON THIS OR ANY OTHER FORUM, READ ALL PREVIOUS POSTS IN THAT OR SIMILAR THREADS BEFORE U DECIDE TO WASTE OTHER PPL'S TIME. I HAD TO READ 6 PAGES OF UNRELATED CRAP JUST TO FIND THE 3 OR 4 POSTS RELEVANT TO MY PROBLEM.

And finally TY to the Bigg for both hosting the forum for ppl to bitch and more importantly for doing the work on the mod in the first place, go have that beer, U've earnt it /salute.

#129 -Rafe-

-Rafe-

Posted 12 April 2009 - 03:26 AM

Hahaha oops - lol I forgot I used a link to get to this thread from my own post, so not 100 posts after mine.

!(>..<)! <<< Dufus

I still think ppl should read all previous posts b4 adding their own tho - would save a lot of reading and other ppls time.

#130 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:55 PM

Ok, I -finally- had a chance to apply the new fix by edy/thebigg and see how it worked on my system playing PS:T. (using an NVidia 7600GS on XP SP2). Installed, and did some serious testing. The details:

After applying the fix, turning just Software Transparency on negates the effects, it's as if I hadn't installed the patch at all. I get the white boxes, etc., and the horrid slowdowns. Turning just Software Blitting on slows it down with no improvement in graphics. Turning Software Mirroring on doesn't slow the system down but doesn't help anything either.

The best combination for me seems to be to have the new fix applied, with all software settings turned off. When I do that, I get excellent performance AND I do not get the strange white boxes all over, and I don't get the cursed mouse trails. Definitely the best results I've had so far in trying to fix the problems. But......... not all graphics actually appear. For example, I'm not actually seeing the lightning strikes when I cast Call Lightning.

Now, my favorite spell for testing graphical glitches is Celestial Host (which you can pretty much only test against TO since it's a 9th level spell and you'll probably only be able to cast it after using the bronze sphere). The graphics for that spell come in 4 stages. With the above, preferred setup, the 2nd, 3rd and 4th stages play out perfectly as far as I can tell. But the first stage, which is a picture of a deva with a big mace, I only get the first few frames of his whole gearing-up-to-smite-the-bad-guy thing, then he just disappears. The screen switches back to TO, and you see the smoke rings that the deva is supposed to leave behind, but you don't see the deva himself (he's supposed to flash across the screen smiting TO with his mace).

So, yeah. The patch absolutely helps performance, and gets rid of the white box problem, but for some odd reason some of the graphical effects just stop displaying at all. (The effects in question DO show up with software transparency, or the patch not applied, but accompanied by the horrid slowdowns and white boxes so not worth it).

Just thought I'd mention it, since maybe folks some didn't realize that graphics were missing. As I said before, installing the patch and turning all software settings off is definitely the best combination I've found so far, even if some of the graphics aren't showing up.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 17 April 2009 - 10:52 PM.

#131 eddy

eddy
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 11:12 PM

Well, that could be a bug with my patch. To be honest, I didn't test it very thoroughly.
Can you send me the save game so that I can try the spell out?

#132 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 04:04 AM

The point of the dll fix is to use none of the software blitting options, but rather do them correctly in hardware. I don't know about Call Lightning, but Celestial hosts (and other spells that show pictures like Mechanus Cannon) don't work correctly if you use Widescreen without altering the MOS files (this is somewhere on my todo list).

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#133 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 02:24 PM

Eddy, can your system handle 1280x768? You'd need to set up for that to load my save game.

Qwinn

#134 eddy

eddy
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 12:01 AM

Could you first please verify that the bug also happens when you do not have the widescreen mod enabled?

#135 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 03:20 AM

Could you first please verify that the bug also happens when you do not have the widescreen mod enabled?

It isn't possible to uninstall Widescreen without invalidating save files in BG1 or PST.

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#136 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 08:34 AM

I don't think it's the widescreen mod at fault, because if I try to cast the spells without the patch or with Software Transparency on, I -can- see all the graphics that are missing, I just get all the horrible slowdown and white boxes surrounding them.

thebigg, if what you were referring to is that some of the "full screen" spell effects only show up in the middle portion of the screen when you have the widescreen mod installed, I expected that and am not considering that an error.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 19 April 2009 - 08:38 AM.

#137 eddy

eddy
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 09:30 AM

Do you think you could make a savegame without the widescreen mod, and the spells in question cheated in, so that I can test it on my unmodified PST?

#138 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:16 AM

That will take a bit of time - I don't currently have a method of cheating spells in set up - but at some point I will do so and let ya know.

Qwinn

#139 Isaya

Isaya
  • Modder
  • 294 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 01:30 PM

If you stay in areas big enough not to require expansion by Widescreen (like the starting area), you might easily swap save games for the purpose of testing a spell.
In my experience (with BG1 though), the game crashed only in you try to enter an area (already in the save game) that is too small to fit the new resolution. Another way to get a crash was to enter a small area expanded by Widescreen that you already visited (so the save game has the information about the explored part) after changing the resolution.
On the other hand, with Planescape, I was able to swap a save game in the starting area between a regular game et a Widescreen game.

You may try. That would save you the trouble of starting the game again.

Edited by Isaya, 19 April 2009 - 01:31 PM.

#140 sanityisfortheweak

sanityisfortheweak
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:42 PM

Hell-o there bigg guy! I'm having some they-are-real-pain-in-the-ass problems when me or someone else casts some offensive spell. The game slows down tremendously (at best) and often freezes (restart being the only cure for this) and/or crashes. Thats when I found about your fix and wanted to give it a shot. But for some reason an error occurs during installation and I can't install it properly (I can't install it at all). Here's the "error log" for you to see:

Posted Image

I currently have nVidia 9600 GSO and I'm running Torment on XP. I've upgraded the game to 1.1 version and added Qwinns "Unfinished Businesses", "Fixpack" and "Tweaks" mods.

I'm no programmer and I haven't got the slightest idea what the heck to do with it. Hope you can help. Tnx.

Edited by sanityisfortheweak, 30 April 2009 - 03:45 PM.