Photo

Do you give yourself the "BGI Bonuses" at the start of BGII?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Klorox

Klorox
  • 342 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:24 PM

If you're playing a character who you did not play in BGI, do you give him/her the additional stats & experience you would have gotten if you had played him/her through BGI (+1 STR,DEX,CON,INT,CHA, +3 WIS and 161,000 XP)??

Just wondering. I can't decide if I think it's just way too cheesy or not. What do the rest of y'all do?
Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!

Oh, squiggly line in my eye fluid. I see you lurking there on the periphery of my vision. But when I try to look at you, you scurry away. Are you shy, squiggly line? Why only when I ignore you, do you return to the center of my eye? Oh, squiggly line, it's alright, you are forgiven.
? Stewie Griffin

#2 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:55 PM

Personally, I never do. I tend to not need it, especially with all the good items in the game. :)

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#3 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 05:34 PM

Not having played BG1, I have never. BG2 is a tad too easy as it is already. I think my components in Zyraen's Misc Mods should show my perceptions :)

kiyos.jpg____btlbn2.gif____kovaS.jpg
Love between a Law Enforcer and a Fugitive - can such a thing even happen?
SoA Release - Overview / Download Links

Zyraen's Miscellaneous Mods - Ust Natha Accelerator, item tweaks, XP caps, The Ub3r Reaver Kit, and much more...
Spellhold Gauntlet - more than just a Spellhold-Be-Gone
Hidden Kits - hidden dual-classed kits with a twist for progression

#4 Sammi Somara

Sammi Somara

Loses her superpowers when exposed to chicken fat.

• 657 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 06:53 PM

I don't know how.
Err...Are paladins even allowed to say 'ass'?
-Cernd

I hate Elminster!
(Proud Member of the We Hate Elminster Club)

The Maesters of Yevon: Putting the Spira back into 'conspiracy'.

Four Ways To Describe Sigil: The Cage, The Center of the Multiverse, The City of Doors, Doughnut on a Stick.

#5 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 07:12 PM

I generally play from BG1 and then import the PC. But if I'm not, I don't use the stat bonuses.

However, if I'm importing, I always keep my inventory.

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg

#6 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 07:29 PM

I commonly cheat in the cloak of Balduran, but rarely the books. Not into BG2 anyways. :whistling:

Edited by Kellen, 27 April 2008 - 07:29 PM.

"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#7 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 08:42 PM

Well, I usually cheat myself the 18/100 str and 18 to the other stats, but I leave it at that, so in a way yes, even though the 18 to all really doesn't even help that much...

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#8 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:56 PM

Nope, not ever. I usually create a character from scratch at the beginning of BG2, or import a character I've already created and used in BG2, so you couldn't say the games I play are really hard... Posted Image My character's already boosted as is.

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#9 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 10:07 PM

If you're playing a character who you did not play in BGI, do you give him/her the additional stats & experience you would have gotten if you had played him/her through BGI (+1 STR,DEX,CON,INT,CHA, +3 WIS and 161,000 XP)??

Just wondering. I can't decide if I think it's just way too cheesy or not. What do the rest of y'all do?

I generally do, to the point of also boosting Minsc, Jaheira, and Imoen to the XP count they had at the end of BG1 (with ToTSC installed, I find it's almost impossible not to hit the XP cap by about chapter 6, so I tend to remove it).

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#10 Abigail

Abigail
  • 172 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:57 AM

It may be a little bit cheesy, but I do it all, for the sake of continuity ;) I usually play with a plain, simple warrior in BG1 which seems too boring to import to BGII.
my deviantart account ---> http://prozakc-blues.deviantart.com

#11 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

Living on Wings of Dreams

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 01:39 AM

Either I start from scratch and write a new biography (people no I am a writer-type of modder not a coder right? :rolleyes:) or I import from BG1.

Unlike many here, I do find some of the fights in BG2 quite hard enough... Really Sendai without being improved I find tough enough. Neither do I think most Dragons a walk in the park. Am I that bad a player? :unsure:

I whipe the floor with strategic empire building games, but not this stuff like BG or NWN (I do not have Oblivion or KOTOR don't ask, and yes even I can handle PS:T quite easily when giving it effort)

Edited by Deathsangel, 28 April 2008 - 01:40 AM.

Still modding the Mod for the Wicked... It is a big project you know... And I got sidetracked (several times) a bit... sorry.
However, as we all know, Evil never really sleeps.

Sentences marking (my) life:

Winds of change... Endure them, and in Enduring grow Stronger
It takes a fool to look for logic in a man's heart
Never question the sanity of the insane
The Harmony of Life is Chaos
Living on Wings of Dreams

(1st march 2009) SHS women over me:
Kat: if there were more guys that looked like you out here, people's offspring wouldnt be so damn ugly
Noctalys: you are adorable :P

~~ I love it, and I am humbled! Yay! ~~

#12 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 01:51 AM

I import. I have one chr file at the beginning of BG1 with my dear Bhaalspawn level 1 and with base stat, and one with 161k XP at the beginning of BG2 with all her original stats + increases.

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!

#13 Jazhara7

Jazhara7
  • 715 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 02:10 AM

You can give yourself bonuses for having played BG I at the start of BGII?! :o

- :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

Hey, are you hungry?

I Hate Elminster!
(proud member of the We Hate Elminster club)

#14 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 02:14 AM

Yeah. With the console. :P

Like the tomes, for example. There is one tome of strength in BG1, so you make a character in BG2, clua in the tomes and stuff. And set your experience to 161000.

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!

#15 Nuuskamuikkunen

Nuuskamuikkunen
  • 207 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 02:30 AM

I have a couple of times, however I don't generally anymore since it's still fun to play with less-than-perfect stats (althouh having a mage with 19 strength can prove interesting :P)

#16 Sammi Somara

Sammi Somara

Loses her superpowers when exposed to chicken fat.

• 657 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 03:21 PM

Is it possible to bring in other items from BGI that aren't in BGII?
Err...Are paladins even allowed to say 'ass'?
-Cernd

I hate Elminster!
(Proud Member of the We Hate Elminster Club)

The Maesters of Yevon: Putting the Spira back into 'conspiracy'.

Four Ways To Describe Sigil: The Cage, The Center of the Multiverse, The City of Doors, Doughnut on a Stick.

#17 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:48 PM

Is it possible to bring in other items from BGI that aren't in BGII?

Yes.

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg

#18 Bluenose

Bluenose

The gnome-sage of Ral Worcester

• 1565 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:59 PM

If it's a PC I played through BG1, then they get whatever they had in BG1 and like it, or else. If it's one I'm generating to start in SoA, then I might give them one or two of the bonuses depending on how their stats rolled up, but not more. My latest PC actually had their strength reduced from 18/98 to 18/31, for reasons that seemed sensible at the time.

Back from the brink.

Like RPGs? Like Star Wars? Think combining the two would be fun? Read Darths and Droids, and discover the line "Jar Jar, you're a genius".

These, in the day when heaven was falling,
The hour when earth's foundations fled,
Followed their mercenary calling
And took their wages and are dead.

#19 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 04:54 AM

If it's a PC I played through BG1, then they get whatever they had in BG1 and like it, or else. If it's one I'm generating to start in SoA, then I might give them one or two of the bonuses depending on how their stats rolled up, but not more. My latest PC actually had their strength reduced from 18/98 to 18/31, for reasons that seemed sensible at the time.

Well, like I said over at BoM, I have, in the past, cheated in a few tomes via the CLUAConsole (I don't use Shadowkeeper or any of those things), but if you import from BG1, there's not much need, really. The character I imported from my last game of BG1 had 19, 19, 19, 13, 13, 15 (after using the tomes from that game) which is more than adequate to give most things a good kicking.
Of course, it really does depend how patient you are and how long you will take rolling your BG character...

#20 arguskos

arguskos
  • 51 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:53 PM

Hey, random question: I know you can get the tomes and everything in BG1, but how do you get the +3 Wisdom? +1 from a tome, and +2 from... what, exactly? I've played more BG2 than anyone ever needs to, but am not as familiar with BG1.

-Argus
"Here's what 4-year old's know: a screen that ships without a mouse isn't worth paying attention to!" - Clay Shirky (http://blip.tv/file/855937)