How does it compare to BG?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Sir_Carnifex

Sir_Carnifex

Scourge of Kobolds

• 290 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 07:15 PM

I'm thinking of getting IWD/IWD2, but I've read reviews that say it's just hack and slash. I want to know how people think they compare to BG1 and BG2.

Are they worth getting? Not that I really need another game while playing through BG, BG2, and modding, but curiosity is getting the best of me here. :lol:
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." - Herm Albright

#2 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 07:18 PM

If you like the NPC interaction of BG2, you're probably going to find IWD I and II a disappointment, because there isn't any in the vanilla game. But there are mods to help you there. IWD2 has IWD2 NPC, and I can vouch for its quality. It's outstanding. I haven't tried anything on IWD1, though, so I'm not the best one to advise, there.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#3 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 08:09 PM

IWD has a pretty good story. Their classes seem to work better than the BG versions. And you get to manipulate 6 custom made characters. But, unfortunately none of the NPC interaction.

Still I think IWD was worth the money for it. (Can't comment on the sequel since I don't have it)
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#4 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 09:01 PM

It (IWD1) loses miserably to BG1 (except maybe in the area graphics). But it's not that bad either. Think of a Diablo game in the IE engine. If that suits you, you're set.

Haven't played IWD2.

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg

#5 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 10:11 PM

I liked the first game quite much, as it has almost the same rule-set as the Baldur's Gate games, but didn't like the second so much as it was changed to 3E D&D rules. Now, if you like the killing and blowing your enemy to bits with a different plot line than BG, I do recommend the first IwD I...

It has quite much material in the addition package(Heart of Winter), and a free download -able add-on for the addition pack called Trials of the Luremaster, it's all the same but more.

But if you like more of the 3E D&D rules, go for the IwD2.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#6 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 10:22 PM

They are brilliant like every other Black Isle game... you could say that I'm a little biased though, considering that I have a copy of every game they ever released.

Icewind Dale (Plus expansion set Heart of Winter & free expansion set download Trials of the Lure Master) has a great story, and the Icewind Dale setting is very different from Baldur's Gate in atmosphere. Personally I really enjoy the snowy landscape.

The soundtrack is a brilliant piece in itself, you have to listen to it to truly understand how great it is. The portrait artwork is beautiful as well.

As said before, the game doesn't have joinable NPCs, but you can create up to 6 yourself. Icewind Dale is more combat orientated with partly random loot. It requires a bit more strategical planning in combat than the vanilla Baldur's Gate series. This is only my personal opinion of course.

Worth every cent, considering how cheap you can get the entire series for these days.

Icewind Dale II has a more mediocre story, but it utilises 3E rules. That alone was interesting to me when I bought it. Naturally the game has more advanced graphics than Icewind Dale I, which is a good thing.

The soundtrack is decent, but nowhere near the first soundtracks quality. It is very listenable though. The portrait artwork is beautiful just like in the previous game.

Featured races include Drow and other sub-races. 16 different races and 31 different classes all in all. The game is even more combat orientated than the prequel, so you definitely need to think about what you're doing.

In summary, it's worth every cent.

#7 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 10:38 PM

Domi's IWD2NPC really fleshes out IWDII, and Kulyok's IWDNPC is almost completed, as far as I can tell. :) I can at least vouch for IWD2NPC, having proofread some of it, the writing is good and the characters are interesting. Really adds to the game!

#8 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 04:54 AM

I haven't much to add to what's already been said (except maybe that IWD's soundtrack is by Jeremy Soule and IWD2's is by Inon Zur, how could they *not* be brilliant? :D ).
The thing with IWD and IWD2 is that they're a lot of hack 'n' slash, but thank goodness, we have Domi's IWD2NPC (which is absolutely wonderful, if I think about Jaemal again, I'll cry :wub: ), and we'll soon have Kulyok's IWD NPC's which I'm certain will be up to par.
But then again, the storline's interesting, the games are still enterntaining, so...
So I'd argue that you'd have to have played through both at least once, if you really want to call yourself an RPG gamer who loves the BG series. :lol:

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#9 Scipio

Scipio

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

• 1790 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 07:17 AM

Elsewhere in these forums I have slagged off IWD and IWD2 for their lack of NPC intercation. From what I've read of the NPC mod for IWD2, people love it, so I have downloaded it and I am really looking forward to playing it. My negativity about IWD is relative -- it's not up to BG1/2 in my opinion, but it's still way better than just about anything else out there.

As for the sound track, I found myself pausing the game just so that I could listen to the music sequences all the way through without interruption. The music is beautiful and quite haunting at times.

If you're going to buy a game, I'd recommend IWD before anything else including Neverwinter Nights. But I like parties of adventurers.
I did battle with monsters, and they became me, and when I gazed into the abyss, the abyss looked away shyly.
See, it helps not to believe all the stuff that philosophers spout.

#10 DavidWallace

DavidWallace
  • Validating
  • 337 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 12:39 PM

Ignoring mods, which I haven't tried:

- IWD starts slow and speeds up. It's basicaly hack-and-slash against a rather beautiful backdrop. The nature of combat on a BG2-style engine means that the tactical side of it is dull to start with (when your options are very restricted) and get better. I found it dull for a while and then really got into it.

- unlike I think most people here, I thought IWD2 was a lot better than IWD. Again, it's broadly a tactical-challenge kind of a game, but from that perspective it's much better executed. It's very linear, to be sure, but there's lots of conversation and lots to do.

#11 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 01:06 PM

They are brilliant like every other Black Isle game... you could say that I'm a little biased though, considering that I have a copy of every game they ever released.

Icewind Dale (Plus expansion set Heart of Winter & free expansion set download Trials of the Lure Master) has a great story, and the Icewind Dale setting is very different from Baldur's Gate in atmosphere. Personally I really enjoy the snowy landscape.

The soundtrack is a brilliant piece in itself, you have to listen to it to truly understand how great it is. The portrait artwork is beautiful as well.

As said before, the game doesn't have joinable NPCs, but you can create up to 6 yourself. Icewind Dale is more combat orientated with partly random loot. It requires a bit more strategical planning in combat than the vanilla Baldur's Gate series. This is only my personal opinion of course.

Worth every cent, considering how cheap you can get the entire series for these days.

Icewind Dale II has a more mediocre story, but it utilises 3E rules. That alone was interesting to me when I bought it. Naturally the game has more advanced graphics than Icewind Dale I, which is a good thing.

The soundtrack is decent, but nowhere near the first soundtracks quality. It is very listenable though. The portrait artwork is beautiful just like in the previous game.

Featured races include Drow and other sub-races. 16 different races and 31 different classes all in all. The game is even more combat orientated than the prequel, so you definitely need to think about what you're doing.

In summary, it's worth every cent.

Ditto. It is a party of six created by you. While there isn't the banter the combat is very good and the music is the best. Just try having an all fighter party dual classing at level nine to mage, cleric, thief, etc. Hah! My main gripe was that there wasn't enough gold and items were scarce and very expensive. Loved the snowy areas.

Never made it all the way through IW2 but it was "better looking" with areas, creatures, items, graphics, etc. I just hated the 3rd edition rules so my interest tapered off about halfway through. Plus I couldn't figure out how to leave the temple of Chult.

#12 Sir_Carnifex

Sir_Carnifex

Scourge of Kobolds

• 290 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 03:25 PM

Thanks for all the input.

Having non-interactive NPCs is something I can live with even though I do prefer the way they are in BG2. Fact is, the first time I played BG2 I did it with a party of my own making (before I found out how different NPCs were in BG2 compared to BG1). :blush:

I'll have to keep a lookout for a dirt-cheap copy on ebay.
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." - Herm Albright

#13 princesspurpleblob

princesspurpleblob

Princess

• 329 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 10:12 PM

I've played both IWD1 and 2....

if you cant stand horrible resolution dont play IWD1... if you like NPC interactions don't play IWD series at all... if you enjoy arpg or combat centered rpg go for it. I'd say charcter build up system is pretty much like NWN, graphic is exactly same as bg series.... storyline is ok but I can't stand the silence of NPCs... feels so weird because it look so much like bg series yet so quite! also, be prepared for LOTS of reloading because all the battles are quite tough

#14 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 10:53 PM

If you cant stand horrible resolution dont play IWD1...

If it's only resolution that bugs you, just use the Widescreen Mod. :cheers:

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#15 Nuuskamuikkunen

Nuuskamuikkunen
  • 207 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 04:19 AM

Never completed either game, it's not the lack of NPCs that bothers me (only ever completed BG2SoA solo ;)) but more how it's just battle all the time. You go to listen to nice dialogue with good music and artwork for like, 5minutes, then it's 4 hours of hacking through mobs (that whole ice labyrinthe/temple thing was just....woah. Excessive? :D). Then another 5mins of progressing the story. Applies to both games really. I know people are of the opinion "yeah I'd rather be battling all the time then FedExing", but I'm battling so often that I forget where am I, what's going on and what the hell I'm doing (both inside and out of the game itself :D). Bit of occasional variety would make it a lot more playable. It is a beautiful game though, visually and aurally.

#16 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 01:27 AM

I must admit I had a blast with my second runthrough of IWD2 - I created my own character's backstories and although they had no interaction in game, they did in my head. :D
Trying the NPC pack now (thanks Domi!)

Both games are great and are story-driven (the first one, actually, I prefer for the story) though I prefer SoA. I'm hardly alone in that, though.

The one bit that ticks me off in IWD2 is those bloody monk tests. Bah!

#17 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 01:30 AM

The one bit that ticks me off in IWD2 is those bloody monk tests. Bah!

Ugh. Ice Temple, anyone?

Yeah, I like it well enough. Of course I prefer the BG series, but that's obvious. I still have fun playing it from to time to time.

#18 Wounded_Lion

Wounded_Lion
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 06:05 AM

If you cant stand horrible resolution dont play IWD1...

If it's only resolution that bugs you, just use the Widescreen Mod. :cheers:

IWD is capable of supporting higher resolutions WITHOUT the Widescreen mod. Open the configuration program and check a box called "Unlock Unsupported Resolutions" (or something similar). The game is beautiful at 1024x768.

Also, the IWD spell system is superior to the BG (and BG2) spell system (you can cast Cause Light Wounds, baby!). The casting graphics are superior as well.

The portrait art, landscape, and soundtrack are excellent (and, imo, better than BG).

You'll have to do without kits and joinable-NPCs (as mentioned by others, NPC mods for IWD do exist).

In summary, the game is worthwhile and exceeds BG (and BG2, too) in several respects.

aWL

Edited by Wounded_Lion, 21 May 2008 - 06:11 AM.

#19 Klorox

Klorox
  • 342 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 04:47 AM

They're both fantastic games, but no character interactions. It is all hack and slash, but THAT ISN'T SUCH A BAD THING! It's a lot of fun.

IWD2 uses the 3e rules, so it's quite different from BGI and II.
Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!

Oh, squiggly line in my eye fluid. I see you lurking there on the periphery of my vision. But when I try to look at you, you scurry away. Are you shy, squiggly line? Why only when I ignore you, do you return to the center of my eye? Oh, squiggly line, it's alright, you are forgiven.
? Stewie Griffin