Translating PS:T Fixpack, UB & QTweaks

• Please log in to reply
178 replies to this topic

#121 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 07:09 AM

Noticed something else. (I can sorta-kinda glean the sense from Italian due to being fluent in Spanish).

In the dcheats.tra file, you translate

Raise it below 3 or above 25 at your own risk!

...as...

Modificala tra 3 e 25 a tuo rischio!"

Doesn't that mean something more like "Modify between 3 and 25 at your own risk!"? That's sort of the opposite of what I intended.

Qwinn

#122 Yakkuz

Yakkuz
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 07:14 AM

Damn me! You're right! I don't read carefully and misunderstand completely!

It should be "Riducila al di sotto di 3 o aumentala al di sopra di 25 a tuo rischio"

#123 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 07:42 AM

No big deal, I fixed it pretty quickly.

I presume for intelligence and charisma, I need to do "Riducilo" instead of "Riducila" and "aumentalo" instead of "aumentala", yes? Are there any other words in there I need to adjust for gender? As in, for intelligence and charisma: "Riducilo al di sotto di 3 o aumentalo al di sopra di 25 a tuo rischio!"

As for the armor class one, I changed it to "Riducila al di sotto di -10 o aumentala al di sopra di 10 a tuo rischio!"

Qwinn

EDIT: Just realized, I believe I should change "aumentala" to "aumentalo" for those two stats also, changed the above to reflect that.

Edited by Qwinn, 04 August 2008 - 07:50 AM.

#124 Yakkuz

Yakkuz
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 07:49 AM

Sure, only Intellect==Intelletto and Charism==Carisma are male noun, so it's correct "Riducilo" and "Aumentalo" instead of the female version "Riducila" and "Aumentala", the armor class is correct, is female.

Sorry for the troubles. :D

EDIT: Damn, you'rer fast, sorry i was writing while you were editing ;)

Edited by Yakkuz, 04 August 2008 - 07:51 AM.

#125 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 07:51 AM

Absolutely no worries. Please don't take making mistakes so hard, heh. The German version has had no less than 4 guys working on it over a period about 6 times longer than you did, and all going over and correcting the translations of the others, so you have nothing to be ashamed about for making a couple mistakes in such a big job that you did so quickly and single handedly. :)

Qwinn

#126 HomiSite

HomiSite
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 07:48 AM

The German version has had no less than 4 guys working on it over a period about 6 times longer than you did, and all going over and correcting the translations of the others, [...]

Well, I am sure we will hit seven weeks ;). And all in all I think five people contribute tothe german version - I guess that does not look very effective :). At the moment ZenJu and I cross-checking the two last TRAs (again some minor delays...)

Some notes to dscales.tra:

- @6: "you'll get some bastard of a berk who got promoted to a minor demon, or a low-ranking deva-type if they were really *really* good, ..." => Is that grammatically/logically correct? It could be misread as a connection between "bastard of berk" and the Deva (analogous, but not intended: berk becomes deva) and there's also a change from singular to plural ("they").
- @6: One of them demons => "of these"?
- @8: Style: 2x "from what I understand"...
- @8: Style: "Anyway, just *want* the Scale to measure one or the other, the Scale will know which one you want measured" => 2x Scale, 2x measure...
- @18: You get the impression they're meant to weigh something else. => I don't know how the different dialogue  rows are triggered, but if it's possible that Morte has told TNO about the scale before, "You get the impression" seems not very accurate  (because TNO now already knows about the scales).
- @28: Style: "good vs. evil" => I don't think "vs." is really fitting here, too modern?
- Sometimes it's "scales", sometimes "Scales" (esp. in @13 und @14); maybe the different spelling - "scales" become "Scales" - appears after TNO knows about the Scale of Souls?

#127 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:38 AM

- @6: "you'll get some bastard of a berk who got promoted to a minor demon, or a low-ranking deva-type if they were really *really* good, ..." => Is that grammatically/logically correct? It could be misread as a connection between "bastard of berk" and the Deva (analogous, but not intended: berk becomes deva) and there's also a change from singular to plural ("they").

"They" can be used for the singular when gender is unknown. I think the rest works well enough in english. I'm not sure if there's a specific grammatical error there, but if there is, well, Morte's grammar isn't supposed to be perfect either. If that construction is confusing when translated, though, feel free to restructure it, there's nothing sacred about my writing, believe me. Just try to keep the general meaning, which is that it's potentially dangerous to resurrect (for zombie labor) someone so evil that they transformed into a demonic being after death, or so good that they transformed into an angelic being.

@6: One of them demons => "of these"?

This is an intentional error. Again, Morte is not the most precise of speakers - he speaks with a certain sloppy slang. It's in keeping with the rest of his dialogue. Feel free to tweak his dialogue so it carries the same "streewise" slang that Morte normally speaks with, but don't make him sound like an english professor, and don't feel you need to force a literal translation to conform exactly to my word choices in english such that he sounds less streetwise and more like an idiot in german :)

@8: Style: 2x "from what I understand"..."

Eh, you're right, I probably should've avoided that, but just leave it at this point, as several other translations already worked with that.

"@8: Style: "Anyway, just *want* the Scale to measure one or the other, the Scale will know which one you want measured" => 2x Scale, 2x measure..."

Yes, leave it that way - the two passages serve different functions. The first is instruction, the second is explanation.

@18: You get the impression they're meant to weigh something else. => I don't know how the different dialogue rows are triggered, but if it's possible that Morte has told TNO about the scale before, "You get the impression" seems not very accurate (because TNO now already knows about the scales)."

Yup, I looked out for that - after Morte's explanation you are introduced to the scale's introductory text past this point. Good eye, though.

@28: Style: "good vs. evil" => I don't think "vs." is really fitting here, too modern?"

It's okay. "vs." is used in the original dialogue about a hundred times in various item and spell descriptions throughout the game. If you'd rather have it unabbreviated ("versus") in the german version, that's fine, but I'll note that "versus" is never used in the original dialogue file, only "vs.".

"- Sometimes it's "scales", sometimes "Scales" (esp. in @13 und @14); maybe the different spelling - "scales" become "Scales" - appears after TNO knows about the Scale of Souls?"

Pretty much, yes. I know I wasn't entirely consistent in that regard. I don't think consistency is necessary there, though, seeing as one is it's proper name and the other is simply more generalized. Nothing says it can only be referred to one way or the other.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 05 August 2008 - 08:39 AM.

#128 HomiSite

HomiSite
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:07 AM

We are looking at keeping the "message" for sure :). It seems there is more difference in the use of grammar and words for meanings between German and English that I thought.

To Morte's speaking: In the german dialog.tlk, the character's ways of speaking are in general often not that different from each other, you could say there is some kind of "normalization" (which does not mean that there is not difference between Morte or Annah and e.g. Nobles).

"Good eye, though": It was ZenJu's ;).

Edited by HomiSite, 05 August 2008 - 09:09 AM.

#129 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 05 August 2008 - 10:32 AM

Thats the german "gründlichkeit" ;-). You did a fantatsic job with the other guys. Qwinn mak you make it brilliant. I want to thank you for all the passion that you put into PT and hopfully looking for a release at the end of the week.

Jeff

#130 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 05:41 PM

Ah yes, sorry, it was five guys who contributed to the german translation, my apologies :)

Okay, guys. I have one more job for you, if you're up for it. This is mostly addressed to Ghildrean and Yakkuz, by the way... I may have someone who can handle the german translation for this.

The Readmes.

I have produced a MUCH shorter (a bit less than half the size, I think) version of the Fixpack readme for translation, attached to this post. If you guys are willing, I can tweak the installation procedure to offer up a different readme for each language, so the alternate language users can have installation instructions and some idea of what each mod contains. I'll see if I can get the good guys running this joint to make them available as web pages too.

Here's the tricky part though - it would require working around HTML tags. It's pretty easy though. If you use a text editor like ConTEXT, it can highlight all the tags and other extraneous stuff in different colors, so they stand out and only the stuff that needs editing is in normal coloring. Pretty easy to do that way.

There will be lots of redundancies between the Fixpack readme and the other two, so if you guys can translate this one, post it back to me, I can cut and paste the redundant bits and deliver the UB and Tweak ones back with only the non-redundant parts requiring additional translation. They should also be considerably shorter even without that. Least I can do to help :)

Ghildrean, Yakkuz, you up for it? As I said, I think I might have someone who can handle the german version, so you guys over in the committee just keep working on the mod translation and don't worry about this, at least until the other guy says no in which case I'll come crying for help again ;)

Qwinn

Attached Files

#131 Yakkuz

Yakkuz
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 08:46 AM

I have only 1-2 days of spare time left...but i take a look at the html and i think i could do it...at least for the fixpack readme. I'll start on working on it right now.

#132 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 09:52 AM

Awesome, Yakkuz, thanks! I really appreciate it :) Good luck :)

Qwinn

#133 Ghildrean

Ghildrean
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 01:11 PM

I have half of the readme translated (only left the "Documented bugfixes" and "Credits"). Maybe for tomorrow it could be finished.

#134 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 01:45 PM

Awesome! Thanks Ghildrean :)

Qwinn

#135 Yakkuz

Yakkuz
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 04:14 PM

Almost done :) only left part of the "Documented fixes". There are some thing i have not translated: the Mod's name (of course), the "Version History" title, 'cause also in professional work, often is addressed in English and not in italian...sincerly traslating it in "Storia delle versioni" it's an oddity in my opinion, and some similar small thing.
I also find a broken tag at line 471, there was missing a ">".

Hoping to finish this tomorrow.

Edited by Yakkuz, 07 August 2008 - 04:16 PM.

#136 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 05:09 PM

*cheer*

That's fine on the version history and stuff.

I promise I'll turn around the UB and Tweak with the redundant stuff done as fast as I can after you post the one you're done :) Can probably have that done within an hour or two. The credits probably won't need to be translated (maybe one new sentence in each at most) and can probably reuse a bit of the installation instructions, so the only "big" thing those will need is the component descriptions, and I'll try to pare those down to no more than a sentence or two each.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 07 August 2008 - 05:09 PM.

#137 Ghildrean

Ghildrean
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 11:17 AM

Well, I have finished the readme. I have fixed the broken tag that Yakkuz said and justified the text.

Spanish Readme Fixpack

#138 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 02:21 AM

Thanks tons Ghildrean :)

Here's the UB one. I copied over what I could that was redundant. When this one's done, there'll be even -more- redundant stuff I can just copy over to the Tweak Pack one before sending it. I also chopped the hell out of the component descriptions, hope it's a reasonably easy job to do... at least, I hope it is easier than the Fixpack.

BTW, it's funny that you directly translated the bit I put in about "Fill in your demands for tribute, plugs for your pet project, etc." stuff, lol. That wasn't meant to be translated, that was instructions to you as the translator to put whatever you liked there, since it was the credits toward you for doing the job ;)

One last thing. "El objetivo ginal es que -no- queden errores." Should that be "final"?

Qwinn

Attached Files

#139 Ghildrean

Ghildrean
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 04:36 AM

Yes, it's "final" instead of "ginal". A minor typo. Thanks for seeing that.

Well, about the "Fill in your...", I didn't think that I was who can add the text I want. You could put in there "por puro placer de traductor" if you want.

With UB, well, I translated the Fixpack readme, so why not the UB readme too?

EDIT: Could you post the new Version History of the UB readme? Looks like you copy/paste the spanish translation of the Fixpack readme and there are some "versions" I didn't know and 40 new "fixes".

Edited by Ghildrean, 09 August 2008 - 04:54 AM.

#140 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 11:45 AM

Yah, sorry about that. There's no changes to UB 2.0 except for the translations, and there never was a 1.01 for it. So just delete the reference to 1.01 altogether, and remove the bit about "40 fixes" to UB 2.0.

Qwinn