Challenge #40: Spells

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#41 Epantiras

Epantiras

Proudly Chaotic Neutral

• 810 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 12:08 PM

in the original NWN1 campaign, there's a chicken, who when you read it's information it says "This chicken seems to be looking determinedly at the other side of the road, and you're not exactly sure why"?

yes, I remember it ^_^ I first read of it in the Bioware official page (but you must be logged in to access to that), so I started looking at every chicken in the game o_O lol you developers are evil

oO My DA Gallery Oo
oO My Artcorner on SHS Oo
oO "Ask the Betrayer" parody comic Oo
oO My other parody comics on SHS Oo

Oh, and Epantiras, you're simply Epantirastic.

(and no, I'M not egocentric!)

I Hate Elminster! (proud member of the We Hate Elminster club)

#42 Jazhara7

Jazhara7
  • 715 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 01:24 PM

in the original NWN1 campaign, there's a chicken, who when you read it's information it says "This chicken seems to be looking determinedly at the other side of the road, and you're not exactly sure why"?

yes, I remember it ^_^ I first read of it in the Bioware official page (but you must be logged in to access to that), so I started looking at every chicken in the game o_O lol you developers are evil

Then, in "Shadows of Undrentine", there's also that one chicken in the chicken enclosure in Hilltop with the description "This is a frozen Chicken"...because well, that's what it was. :P

- :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey, are you hungry?

I Hate Elminster!
(proud member of the We Hate Elminster club)

#43 Sammi Somara

Sammi Somara

Loses her superpowers when exposed to chicken fat.

• 657 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 01:55 PM

Well, I found a few of my pics on dA that fit the challenge, you guys can look at them while I try to come up with something new.

CHARNAME has invented some new spells!
spell1.jpg
spell3.jpg

And here's an old drawing I did of Xan casting Flame Arrow.
spell2.jpg
Err...Are paladins even allowed to say 'ass'?
-Cernd

I hate Elminster!
(Proud Member of the We Hate Elminster Club)

The Maesters of Yevon: Putting the Spira back into 'conspiracy'.

Four Ways To Describe Sigil: The Cage, The Center of the Multiverse, The City of Doors, Doughnut on a Stick.

#44 Sir_Carnifex

Sir_Carnifex

Scourge of Kobolds

• 290 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 04:46 PM

There has to be some explanation why scrolls disappear after you read them...

I cut this out of a comic that I drew. Perhaps I'll post the entire thing sometime.

IdentifySpell.png
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." - Herm Albright

#45 Orthodoxia

Orthodoxia
  • 853 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 10:44 PM

All the entries are pure :ROFL: I'm glad to see the challenge doing so well :clap:
Dear gamer! You cannot summon Spirits of Rage when fighting bosses. We apologize for any inconvenience. Please send all complaints to Undead Control Administration, Bosses Combat Department, and apply for revision of the Endoria combat regulations. - King?s Bounty, the Legend
Posted Image

#46 Lythari

Lythari

Fabricati diem, Pvnk

• 366 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 10:56 PM

Great entries, everybody! :D
I love Sammi's pictures, as always.
And Jazhara's cow... it's priceless. :ROFL:
I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. *I* TURN UP ONLY ONCE.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay)

My deviantArt account / my dragon lair

#47 Epantiras

Epantiras

Proudly Chaotic Neutral

• 810 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 01:56 AM

Sammi, the third pic is my fave ^_^ and I also liked the 2nd one, reminds me of the Archmage Gromph (from the 'War of the Spider Queen' book series) attacking a might drowlich with... color spray!? ok it was a 'quickened' spell (the story is set in AD&D 3.5) but it's still a quite silly thing to do for an archmage...

good entry Sir Carnifex ^_^

oO My DA Gallery Oo

#48 Aliya

Aliya

Pink-Eyed Menace!

• 1619 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 02:56 AM

Nice pictures, Sammi. But I looked all of your pictures, on DA. *snicker*. And I was wondering, from where, your avatar...
Self destruct - cool. Great job Carni.

#49 Vhaira

Vhaira
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 07:31 AM

Sammi, the third pic is my fave ^_^ and I also liked the 2nd one, reminds me of the Archmage Gromph (from the 'War of the Spider Queen' book series) attacking a might drowlich with... color spray!? ok it was a 'quickened' spell (the story is set in AD&D 3.5) but it's still a quite silly thing to do for an archmage...

good entry Sir Carnifex ^_^

yeah, that always bugged me in WotSQ, why Gromph used such... minor spells (excluding a few) and Pharaun, who was an underling, used such higher level ones (earthquake, evards black tentacles, horrid wilting).
Also Gromph's 'staff of power' that the book raved about. I got one in NWN and I thought 'this is going to be AWESOME' but then I identified the thing... and it sucks. You can't even break it to cause a mighty earth-shattering fireball!

anyway, Sammi I love those pictures so much, I could just see Samora casting those spells. And the flame arrow one... is just... you made him look so gorgeous.
And the identify scroll is just LOL!! I could just see it blowing up in charname's face.
I fight for my friends. O_O

#50 Alatariel

Alatariel

Inquisitor!

• 479 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 05:28 AM

Staff of the Magi Gromph had is something along the lines of the one in BG2 and it is a pretty much powerful item. Btw, he is of lower level than most of our Charnames end on, so it is not as surprising (the spells he casts, that is); plus, they try to 'tone him down' somewhat, so he wouldn't become almighty.
And, yeah, Pharaun was totally overpowered. With the WotSQ I have one issue - how somebody can have such a good idea for a saga and make it into such a total crap. Still, read it, and there were few moments I enjoyed.

As for the Challenge - I totally love all the entries, although Lythari, yours is to die for XD

And, Vhaira, welcome to SHS! Good to see you here.

Sammi, the design for the flame arrow casting is brilliant!
'NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency! Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surpr-... I'll come in again.

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!... Amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as: fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and nice red uniforms - Oh damn!'

#51 Epantiras

Epantiras

Proudly Chaotic Neutral

• 810 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 12:15 PM

With the WotSQ I have one issue - how somebody can have such a good idea for a saga and make it into such a total crap. Still, read it, and there were few moments I enjoyed.

Whaaaaat??? Oh noes! I'm still reading it - I've just started the 4th book - and I enjoyed a lot what I read so far. I've become sick of Drizzt and his merry friends so I wanted books with evil protagonists. Reading your words, it seems that the worst part lies in the next books - or am I mistaken? I'm carefully avoiding spoilers so I have no idea about the next books - I just know that two characters of this series are getting their own book series.

On a side note, I've read the first book of Malus Darkblade from Warhammer and I liked it, I'll continue his series once I finish reading WotSQ.

oO My DA Gallery Oo

#52 Vhaira

Vhaira
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 03:22 PM

With the WotSQ I have one issue - how somebody can have such a good idea for a saga and make it into such a total crap. Still, read it, and there were few moments I enjoyed.

Reading your words, it seems that the worst part lies in the next books - or am I mistaken? I'm carefully avoiding spoilers so I have no idea about the next books - I just know that two characters of this series are getting their own book series.

On a side note, I've read the first book of Malus Darkblade from Warhammer and I liked it, I'll continue his series once I finish reading WotSQ.

yeah, it's the last two books. Definitely. The first three are great, the fourth is... not so much, the last are just bad. But you MUST READ IT CAUSE THEN YOU'LL NEVER KNOW WHAT HAPPENS :o
I liked the fact that the main characters are evil. It makes it unpredictable.

NOW ON TO THE TOPIC AT HAND!
I fight for my friends. O_O

#53 JAMoczo

JAMoczo
  • 123 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 07:05 PM

Did somebody say... topic at hand?!

My favorite spells - Dragon's Breath and Magic Missile (shut up!); Viviane's favorite - Horrid Wilting XD Forgive my scanner; it knows not what it does.

(yes, I do have a life; I just ignore it in favor of drawing nowadays. You only have yourselves to blame! ... somehow...)

Sendai1.jpg
Sendai2.jpg

This is from mah fanfiction, where yes, Viviane and Sendai get into a one-on-one mage duel because they're both obscenely arrogant and Sendai ends up dead and Viviane ends up in a coma. Fun times.

Things I noticed from drawing this:

1. not a lot of Sendai love in the internet world. Now I hate her too.
2. How does she cast mage spells wearing the Armor of Thorns, aka studded leather armor?
3. Why is it that when your character dies s/he turns to dust, when Sarevok dies he turns to dust, when every Bhaalspawn dies it turns to dust, but Imoen doesn't?

*floats off*

Edit: Wow, the scanner job on 2 is really, REALLY bad. Once I have energy and a will to exist I'll fix it up. CURSE YOU TECHNOLOGY *shakes fist*
Edit2: Yes, "darthiir" is the only word in drow that I know. Well, that I know what it means, anyhow. :{

Edited by JAMoczo, 27 August 2008 - 07:18 PM.

~Jen~

I Hate Elminster!

?Here, take this. It?s a few special concoctions I whipped up to help you tomorrow should Lorne decide to poison you, cheat, or simply give you several gaping chest wounds.?
- Sand, Neverwinter Nights 2

?I would grieve for Eldoth, if it were not for the sense of joy I now feel.?
- Xan, Baldur?s Gate

I can does write fanfiction?

Have Facebook? Then you should join The Most Noble Order of the Radiant Heart! ... please :)

#54 Aliya

Aliya

Pink-Eyed Menace!

• 1619 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 03:42 AM

I always wondered the same questions... Great comic! ^_^

#55 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 05:28 AM

Everyone's submissions so far have all been so good. This has been a really awesome challenge, definitely! Sammi, I can't wait to see what you come up with. :)

#56 Epantiras

Epantiras

Proudly Chaotic Neutral

• 810 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 11:36 AM

2. How does she cast mage spells wearing the Armor of Thorns, aka studded leather armor?
3. Why is it that when your character dies s/he turns to dust, when Sarevok dies he turns to dust, when every Bhaalspawn dies it turns to dust, but Imoen doesn't?

2. uhm, isn't she a cleric?? I can't remember... or maybe she took the time machine, went in 3.5 and took some feats that reduce penalities for casting arcane magic in armor ;-)
3. how can you resurrect her if she turns to dust? ~_^

oO My DA Gallery Oo

#57 JAMoczo

JAMoczo
  • 123 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 05:47 PM

2. uhm, isn't she a cleric?? I can't remember... or maybe she took the time machine, went in 3.5 and took some feats that reduce penalities for casting arcane magic in armor ;-)
3. how can you resurrect her if she turns to dust? ~_^

2. She's actually a cleric/mage (because no cleric can cast timestop a billion times!) I'm going with Theory 2 then.
3. Yeah, but... ... ... but... ... the Bhaalspawn... getting... ... damn, she dies enough - you're right, if she turned to dust, she'd never make it out of Candlekeep :X Who needs canon anyhow?!
~Jen~

I Hate Elminster!

?Here, take this. It?s a few special concoctions I whipped up to help you tomorrow should Lorne decide to poison you, cheat, or simply give you several gaping chest wounds.?
- Sand, Neverwinter Nights 2

?I would grieve for Eldoth, if it were not for the sense of joy I now feel.?
- Xan, Baldur?s Gate

I can does write fanfiction?

Have Facebook? Then you should join The Most Noble Order of the Radiant Heart! ... please :)

#58 Lythari

Lythari

Fabricati diem, Pvnk

• 366 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 10:55 PM

Nice pic, JAMoczo :)

I've scratched something more, sorry for possible grammar and spelling mistakes, but I've done it without my uberenglisch internet dictionary.

This is an example that protection spells also can ruin your life. It's based on true in-game experience.

skanuj0005.jpg

How was I supposed to go into drow city with undisguised moon elf? <_< Remind me to throw him into the first spider pit we met...

Edited by Lythari, 28 August 2008 - 10:56 PM.

I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. *I* TURN UP ONLY ONCE.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay)

My deviantArt account / my dragon lair

#59 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 12:57 AM

I loove it, Lythari!!! I especially love the way you've portrayed the party as drow!! (I love the idea, and simply think there weren't enough submissions in challenge # 10: NPC's as drow!).

And another thing... Wow, you went to Spellhold with only Minsc and Xan and completed the Underdark with only Minsc, Imoen and Xan tagging along... Kudos! ;)

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#60 Aliya

Aliya

Pink-Eyed Menace!

• 1619 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 01:35 AM

Simply awesome, Lyth!