Photo

Problem Installing Ding0s Questpack

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 lac

lac
  • 97 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 05:02 AM

The situation: my laptop is too small to run BGT. So I am using the BiG_World_v5.5.1_beta_english.pdf to produce the optimal install order for the SoA and ToB mods I wish to play. Thank you very much for this, all is going extremely well.

But now that v2 of Item Revisions is out, it is time to make a new build. While I am at it, I would like to fix the one major issue outstanding I have with the procedure. I cannot get Ding0s Quest pack (D0Quest) to work. I understand that it needs to be installed in 3 stages -- step 10.4 (just the general AI improvements), step 20.5 (the improved Oasis component) and step 21.11 (all the quests). But that is not sufficient -- if you simply do this, your kits will get messed up, and some assignments of the components and their numbers are wrong.

This is not news to the authors of the BiG_World pdf, who explicitly warn you about this, and who say that this will all be fixed with the patch from the folder BiG World Fixpack.

So what I want to know is, how can I get or make a patch that just fixes whatever is wrong with the Ding0s QuestPack. Is this available separately someplace?

Thanks very much,
Laura

Edited by lac, 03 December 2008 - 06:44 PM.

#2 Steve

Steve
  • 142 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 02:02 PM

Well, I started writing how to implement the BWP's fixpack, then figured it'd be faster to just post the fixed files.

Attached Files

#3 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 04:04 PM

I thought it was D0Quest pack that screws up the kits. That is the one installed in various points through the BWP. After the componenst General AI Improvements and Creature & Area Improvements is where the KIT.IDS and KITLIST.2DA become dysfunctional for mage classes I think.

I made a copy of both respected files named above BEFORE I installed the D0Quest components listed above. Then replace my copied files into override. I think BWP project has replacements in the Fixpack but that may not work if you install kits from TDD or RoT which BWP doesn't include.
?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

Posted Image The Definitive Guide to Trolls

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#4 lac

lac
  • 97 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 06:42 PM

It is D0Quest. And I referred to it properly in the title. Then screwed up and called it D0Tweak once in the body of the message. Now to go back and edit my message to say what I meant.

Sorry about that.

Laura

and yes, the mages get all screwed up. But also there is something very bad with things in that
the text ofmessages for the quests are messed up. Going to Galoomph the bookkeeper to talk
about his quests gets you conversations that Kivan of Shimmistra is supposed to be having with
Keldron, and so it goes as all the quests are botched with bad dialogs, etc....

Edited by lac, 03 December 2008 - 06:48 PM.

#5 lac

lac
  • 97 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 06:50 PM

Well, I started writing how to implement the BWP's fixpack, then figured it'd be faster to just post the fixed files.

Thank you very, very, much. It is 04.00 here, and though for various RL reasons I cannot sleep,
I will try this patch again tomorrow when I wake up and let you know how it goes.

Thank you every so much again.
Laura

#6 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 11:49 PM

So I am using the BiG_World_v5.5.1_beta_english.pdf

We have released the BWP v5.5.2. See what's new in our first post of this thread.

Steve, have you used the recent "BiG World Fixpack v6.0.5" for the Ding0's Quest Pack fixed files?

FYI

If you want only one mod fixed by the BW Fixpack, so create a new directory, extract the mod in there and run the BW Fixpack in the same directory. Only the mods the BW Fixpack finds will be fixed.

Greetings Leomar

Edited by Leomar, 03 December 2008 - 11:54 PM.

A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
but you have more choices or paths through the game.
- Chevalier

BiG World Project - Big Baldur's Gate World

#7 lac

lac
  • 97 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 02:00 PM

Steve's fix appears to work perfectly. Not only are my mage kits working properly, but none of the dialogs are scrambled any more. And as an added bonus, a bug I had with using SoS thief kits mods with level 1 NPC has gone away.

Thank you very, very, much.

Laura

#8 Steve

Steve
  • 142 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 10:06 PM

Glad to hear it.

> Steve, have you used the recent "BiG World Fixpack v6.0.5" for the Ding0's Quest Pack fixed files?

Yes, although I used my own .TP2 file that has a couple of fixes not in the BWP version.

#9 lac

lac
  • 97 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 03:27 PM

So I am using the BiG_World_v5.5.1_beta_english.pdf

We have released the BWP v5.5.2. See what's new in our first post of this thread.

Steve, have you used the recent "BiG World Fixpack v6.0.5" for the Ding0's Quest Pack fixed files?

FYI

If you want only one mod fixed by the BW Fixpack, so create a new directory, extract the mod in there and run the BW Fixpack in the same directory. Only the mods the BW Fixpack finds will be fixed.

Greetings Leomar

Great to know. I just used Steve's patch and it worked great for me, but this is for when that does not work.

I used the 5.5.2 doc as I build my new build. All is working well, modulo IR problems which I am gametesting, and which we are fixing as we find it. But IR is getting to the point where it needs including in the pdf for those of you who want item revisions. I cannot speak for IR, or the authors, I just play test it -- but what does it take to
get IR into the pdf?? It too needs to be split into 2 downloads -- one near the very top, and one after RR.

Thank you so very much all of you who have been involved in this. I am most grateful.

Laura

#10 Steve

Steve
  • 142 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 06:03 PM

Here's a few more mostly minor fixes for D0QuestPack. These I found scanning for problems with NearInfinity. Since they're all in .BAF form which are compiled to .BCS files, you can't just put them in Override but have to re-install D0QuestPack to use them.

Attached Files

#11 -Dirty Uncle Bertie-

-Dirty Uncle Bertie-

Posted 06 December 2008 - 09:58 AM

Steve, thank you kindly for your fixes.

If possible, could you confirm a few things for me? I took a look inside your attachments and it's looks like the baf issue - http://forums.gibber...?showtopic=8676 - has been fixed by you, correct? For the DESIGNATED 2 issue - http://forums.pocket...ic,22516.0.html - it looks like you've changed DESIGNATED 2 to DESIGNATED 4, so I take it that issue is also fixed?

Considering the long list of issues in the current version of QP - http://forums.pocket...ic,24721.0.html - are you able to tell me which components I still shouldn't install i.e. those that are still buggy and not fixed by your attachments? And have you released unofficial bugfixes for any other mods?

Thanks!

#12 -D. U. Bertie-

-D. U. Bertie-

Posted 06 December 2008 - 10:08 AM

Oh, and what about these other apparent issues with QP:

http://forums.pocket...ic,23496.0.html
http://forums.pocket...ic,23806.0.html
http://forums.pocket....html#msg312397
http://forums.pocket...ic,24414.0.html
http://forums.pocket...ic,24151.0.html
http://forums.pocket...ic,24031.0.html
http://forums.pocket...ic,26020.0.html (I take it that's you who posted this?)

Do you address any of these?

#13 Steve

Steve
  • 142 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 07:52 PM

The files in D0Qfix came from the BWP Fixpack so Leomar would know for sure where they came from. That post you mentioned does seem to be it, though. The DESIGNATED fix in the .TP2 is also in the BWP; the rest came from various posts over the years. The files in moreD0Q came from errors shown by NearInfinity that I tracked back to the D0QuestPack. As to which problems in that list they fix, I haven't a clue. The one who would know, SimDing0, has moved on to a better place - the Aurora engine.

I posted mostly minor fixes for Amber, BP and SCS2 in their respective fora. And yes, that's me in the Questpack forum.

#14 -Dirty Uncle Bertie-

-Dirty Uncle Bertie-

Posted 07 December 2008 - 07:29 AM

Thanks, Steve.

I've only just discovered the BWP Fixpack so am just getting to grips with exactly how it works. It seems like a wonderful idea, especially since a number of modders just seem to up and leave. One thing I am unsure about is what happens if I install the BWP Fixpack and also a hotfix (e.g. yours for QP); will things function okay? I mean, if a hotfix does the same as the BWP Fixpack (and maybe adds a couple of other fixes) then you won't get duplicate fixes will you, since everything patches? I assume it's safe to install the BWP Fixpack and any hotfixes, but maybe you or someone else could clarify this for me. Oh, and should I unpack the hotfix before or after running the BWP Fixpack?

Will your moreD0Q.zip and the additional stuff in D0Qfix.zip be included in the next BWP Fixpack? And what about your Amber, BP and SCS2 fixes? Does the BWP Fixpack simply include any fixes posted by people like yourself on various forums? Is that how it works (if so, I guess we can look forward to seeing your fixes included at some point)?

I'm trying to keep the mod install process as painless as possible, and I suppose knowing that:
a) any fixes posted will end up in the BWP Fixpack eventually
b) I can install any newer-than-the-BWP Fixpack hotfixes as well
...will make life much easier.

Thanks again for your help.

#15 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 12:06 PM

We should all be careful about proclaiming the departure/migration/death/sex-change of modders -- unless they make their own announcement, we should best think of them as 'taking a break' (often to play/mod Real Life).

I have not heard anything official from SimD himself about "moving on" from IE modding; working on other projects does not preclude working on IE. So reports of his "death" have been greatly exaggerated...

Now, on to hotfixes...

I am grateful that Steve noted that contributions of hotfixes should be reported to the respective mod forums. The mod's authors or contributors can then keep better track of either incorporating the fixes into the mod, or describing when best to use them as one-offs.

BiG World Project is very good about first analyzing hotfixes before incorporating them into their package. So I'm very sure that Leomar will be along soon to announce when/if that will happen.

@Steve: thanks for your efforts and I hope you'll continue helping us out on fixes and improvements.

@Dirty Uncle Bertie: Bereth...is that you?

"I gladly simp for jastey" -- Aza
==========================================================
"You ever notice that "What the hell?!" is the answer to just about everything?"
==========================================================

"Girls are like phones, they like to be held and talked too, but if you press the wrong button, you will be disconnected!" DJ Nikodemus
================================================================
Community Contributions
* Level 1 NPCs * gMinion: expanded TP2 for MegaInstalls * PSM (PSQM): expanded scripts for Melanthium * Shar Nadal (DSotSC-BGT) revision * non-detectable Cloak of Non-Detection ?? * Weimer's-Tactics: revised TP2 for MegaInstalls * a directory of Mega-Installation Guides *

#16 -Dirty Uncle Bertie-

-Dirty Uncle Bertie-

Posted 07 December 2008 - 12:29 PM

Azazello, sorry, I don't know who this Bereth is.

I'm currently having some difficulty discovering exactly what kind of install I can use the BWP Fixpack with. The readme says "Although it is made for the BiG World Project, it can be used with any other installation", and I'd thought it was a collection of community-made fixes for various mods, but recent replies in another thread - http://www.shsforums...&...st&p=428792 - (post #183 onwards) have left me totally confused about whether or not I can use this.

Having mod fixes (e.g. Steve's) in one frequently updated package is a great idea, and I hope that's indeed what BWP Fixpack is.

Regarding Quest Pack, do you have any idea what components are now safe to install?

#17 lac

lac
  • 97 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 12:34 PM

Here's a few more mostly minor fixes for D0QuestPack. These I found scanning for problems with NearInfinity. Since they're all in .BAF form which are compiled to .BCS files, you can't just put them in Override but have to re-install D0QuestPack to use them.

Thanks for these also, Steve. Going in as a type this.

Laura

#18 Steve

Steve
  • 142 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 07:23 PM

> ... I'd thought it was a collection of community-made fixes for various mods ...
That's exactly what the BWP Fixpack is. It's just implemented in an odd way, as differences instead of complete files.

> Will your moreD0Q.zip and the additional stuff in D0Qfix.zip be included in the next BWP Fixpack?
Probably.

> One thing I am unsure about is what happens if I install the BWP Fixpack and also a hotfix ...
All fixes are made against the distributed mod so there's no fixed rule. Most fixes are just files that are dumped into Override after the mod is installed, but changes to .TP2 and .BAF files need to be applied before the mod is installed. In our case, at the moment, my two ZIP files include all the BWP fixes and need to be applied before.

> Regarding Quest Pack, do you have any idea what components are now safe to install?
Don't let the list of problems worry you. D0QuestPack is one of the highly regarded mods in BG2 land. You'll never see most problems and you can probably work around the rest.

> So reports of his "death" have been greatly exaggerated...
I await with averted eyes the Second Coming of SimDing0.

#19 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 02:23 AM

But IR is getting to the point where it needs including in the pdf for those of you who want item revisions.

That is our next goal. :)

Dirty Uncle Bertie, your recent questions has all answered Steve. So I will tell you, where you get the informations about the BWP fixes. In the "BiG World Fixpack" directory is a "_BWP fixes.txt" and a "_Hotfixes.txt". In there you get many informations about the fixes.

BWP Fixes works by an installation only (these are the patches) and hotfixes does the install.bat during the installation (these are files for the override directory or install routines like the halfenfix). Hotfixes are a passing solution until we get a fix for the installation. Additonal you can open the .patched files with a text-editor to see, what will be patches by them.

With all these informations you can see for example, what the BW Fixpack fixes for Ding0's Quest Pack at the moment. It is not much, and so we are happy about additional fixes from Steve. Look in the BW Fixpack for the BP fxes, you'll see that these are from Steve. :)

:: BPv177
:: Steve's fixes
http://www.shsforums...&...st&p=425478
:: Steve's combined fixes
http://www.shsforums...&...st&p=426171

What is the BW Fixpack?
A collection of fixes, which can be found around the internet. Are some fixes not mentioned in the appropriate forums, we do this. Comes a new mod version out, which inludes the BWP fixes, we'll delete them. So you see the BW Fixpack is an interim solution, to give the gamers the needed fixes until the new modversions comes out.

Steve, it would be great if we can include your fixes in the BW Fixpack. Is it all right for you?

Greetings Leomar

Edited by Leomar, 08 December 2008 - 02:27 AM.

A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
but you have more choices or paths through the game.
- Chevalier

BiG World Project - Big Baldur's Gate World

#20 Steve

Steve
  • 142 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:41 PM

> Is it all right for you?
Certainly.