• Please log in to reply
296 replies to this topic

#1 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 02:47 AM

BiG World Project (BWP) v5.5.2
Entire installation instructions for the Baldur?s Gate Mega-Mod

The BiG World Project aims to merge all games of the Baldur's Gate series and the additional contents created by its community in one massive adventure, including a modification of BG1 to run BG1 with the more modern engine of BG2, plus the added functionality of ToB expansion. Now all new functions which are introduced only with BG2 are also available for BG1. This signifies, BG1 uses just like BG2 the same graphic arts, the same character kits, the same magic and the same rules. Now even for those which know BG1 by heart this is a new play experience. Besides, it also includes an additional transition from BG1 to BG2.

BiG World Project is constantly going through changes to acquire a more stable and bug free version with every new update.

The current instructions are divided into two versions:

1. BiG World version:

Herewith are mods installed recommended by the majority of the testers. The installation is aimed to the greatest possible play pleasure. Mods with few contents, with absurd degree of difficulty or bugged mods are not installed. The used mods are supported furthermore by the authors. The BWP team concentrates upon the farther improvement of this installation.

2. Expert version:

This installation tries to fathom the feasible. You have a 100% chance of running into bugs and/or CTDs (crash to desktop) and it has quietly a long way to go before reaching perfection (if it ever wants). The relevant mods are greyed out in the instructions and are only installed if you remove the detent before.

This project is in development. Beginners should keep absolutely to the instructions, while experienced players with some efforts, tests and bugfixing can also create their own version of the BiG World.

We are glad about every suggestion and every criticism which serves to improve the BiG World Project. The BiG World Project Team is available for you at any time in the forums.

For German gamers you can visit our German forum.

Here you get all what you need for a megamod installation (click me).
- BiG World PDF-Manual (in Englisch and German)
- BiG World Installpack (for an easy installation)
- BiG World Fixpack (fixes bugs in mods)
- BiG World Textpack (for foreign languages (currently German only))

For news please look here at post #153: http://www.shsforums...&...st&p=427032

Step by Step Instructions

- Make a full installation of BG1 and Tales of the Sword Coast
- Patch it with BioWare?s official ToSC patch v5512
- Start BG1, make your settings, create a character and make a quicksave with Q in Candlekeep

- Make a full installation of BG2 and Throne of Bhaal
- Patch it with BioWare?s official ToB patch v26498
- Start BG2 and ToB, make your settings, create a character and after the autosave quit the game

For English users: Download and extract the BW Installpack and the BW Fixpack into your BG2 main directory
For German users: Download and extract the BW Installpack, BW Fixpack and BW Textpack into your BG2 main directory

- Create a separate folder and name it like ?BW Downloads?
- Download the mods you want to use into the separate folder (you can use the BiG World Linklist for that)
- Extract all mods into the BG2 main directory (we recommend 7-Zip for extracting the mods)
- Some mods are packed differently, so see the additional informations in our BiG World Linklist

- Disconnect the internet and disable all antivir software/firewalls
- Start the ?BiG World Install v5.5.2.bat? and follow the on-screen instructions
- Play your megamod.

Note: Always make a Backup of your BG2 game files and a clean install for every new installation. More information about that you can get here.

New in v5.5.2:

The English and the German guide were updated:
- The older unbalanced Spell-50 mod moved to the Expert-Version, because of the newer balanced Spell Revisions
- SCS component [Allow player to choose NPC proficiencies and skills] moved to the Expert-Version,
because of gamer decisions
- SCS components [Smarter Mages] and [Smarter Priests] are not installed anymore, because of bugs
- SCS component [Potions for NPCs] is not installed anymore, because of bugs

The "BiG World Installpack" were updated:
- "BiG World Install.bat" were corrected and improved (last updated 20th November)
- The "TP1-Check" is skipped by an English installation
- No more interruptions during the installation by "Stuff of the Magi", "BG2 Tweak Pack" and "BP-BGT Worldmap"
- "BiG World Installpack read me" has new improved informations
- "BiG World Post-Install.bat" were improved

The "BiG World Fixpack v6.0.5" were updated:
- White Agnus extended Halfenfix for BG1UB
- White Agnus corrected diary quest entry for BG1UB
- White Agnus Coran's Quest Fix for BGT
- Steves BP Fixes
- Steves combined BP Fixes
- Leonardos corrected NEJ Fixes
- Taimons Hofixes for SCSI
- Taimons Quickfix of the tdr8b for SCSII

The "BiG World Fixpack v6.0.4" were updated:
- Included patches were corrected and improved
- Now, the Install.bat installs Hoppys Yeti/Drider fix

Updated mods:
- Breagar und die Schlangen Abbathors v3.3

New in v5.5.1:

Corrections and updates:
- updated manual
- improved BW Install.bat
- corrected BW Fixpack

Updated mods:
- Breagar und die Schlangen Abbathors v3.2
- BGT NSC Portraits v1.3

New in v5.5:

Corrections and updates:
- updated manual
- completely revised BW Install.bat
- new fixes added in the BW Fixpack
- re-arranged BW Textpack
- new Smoothpack
- includes the Post-Install.bat again

Updated mods:
- One Pixel Productions v2.61
- BGT v1.07 WIP-08-09-28
- BG1 Mini Quests and Encounters v4.1
- Lure of the Sirine's Call v8
- Thalantyr Item Upgrade v3.3
- Xan's friendship path for BG1 v5
- Ajantis BG1 Expansion v2.1
- Breagar und die Schlangen Abbathors v3.01
- Sword Coast Stratagems v9
- Assassinations v3
- Rolles v3
- Xan for BG2 v8
- Thael v2.3
- Kim v1.57
- The Slithering Menace (Snakes) v3.3
- Quallo v1.1
- Shards of Ice v4
- Rogue ReBalancing by aVENGER v4

Added new mods:
- Stone of Askavar v1.3
- PnP Free Action (Beta 1)
- Experience Corrections v1
- Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures v2

Greetings Leonardo Watson and Leomar

Edited by Leomar, 26 December 2008 - 11:31 AM.

A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
but you have more choices or paths through the game.
- Chevalier

BiG World Project - Big Baldur's Gate World

#2 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 03:06 AM

For everybody, who knows BWP already, there is an important innovation.
For the installation you must do the following only:
- Extract the mods and the BW Packs into the BG2 main directory
- Start the Install.bat only

Now, the Install.bat automatically starts and uses the BW Fixpack. Besides, there is only one single Install.bat with which you can make now a BW version, an expert version, a German or an English installation.

The new Smoothpack which is also executed by the Install.bat suppresses some input requests and ReadMes by the installation, thus the installation runs smoothly.
Besides, we have introduced the Post-Install.bat again.

Greetings Leomar

Edited by Leomar, 02 November 2008 - 04:30 AM.

A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
but you have more choices or paths through the game.
- Chevalier

BiG World Project - Big Baldur's Gate World

#3 Mayaserana

Mayaserana
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 04:35 AM

What is this 'smoothpack' thing?

Edit: Ah, thanks, cross-posting :)

Edited by Mayaserana, 02 November 2008 - 04:37 AM.

#4 LadyRolePlay

LadyRolePlay
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 08:05 AM

What is this 'smoothpack' thing?

Edit: Ah, thanks, cross-posting :)

Leomar one question. I have several games in mid game, one almost one completed. Would doing a reinstall of 5.5, mess up those saves, or do you know?

I am more than willing to delete/reinstall with 5.5 if that's the case. Otherwise I keep on with 5.4

ty

#5 Marvin

Marvin

Marvin

• 197 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 08:13 AM

Well that depends on how many mods you installed with the previous version and which mods have undergone which changes up to now.
You'd need a lot of time to find that out, wouldn't you? So I guess you should stick with 5.4, because your old save games are unlikely to work properly.
Sorry,

Marvin

#6 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:54 AM

It would work properly, if only you could make any sense out of the dialog.tlk, as you should know, the reinstalled game will refer to different spots in the dialog.tlk than the one in your savegame, so the items etc. might have their names and and descriptions totally messed up with each others. The only secure spot to reinstall is the BG1->BG2 transition, and that's with the condition that you won't be using any of the previous items or party members you have had in your party.

Now, a question for Leomar- Why is there v5.5 and v5.6 Big World Install.bat in the BWInstallpack? Is it because of the v5.5 being with and v5.6 being without the postinstall.bat ?

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 02 November 2008 - 10:35 AM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#7 dreamer2007

dreamer2007
  • 430 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 12:32 PM

YEY! Finally the new version! Thank you very much for it's release! I can barely wait to start a new game that maybe this time I will finish :P .

#8 Leonardo Watson

Leonardo Watson
  • Modder
  • 531 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 10:50 PM

The new installer is not this one you are waiting for. It is only an interim solution until the planned setup is ready.

#9 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 02:17 AM

Leomar, could you post a screen on how the "unpacked modes" folder should look like? (i mean a print screen of the interior) I'm not sure if i unpack the mods right. And i know that a single mistake (for example in unpacking a fixpack) can spoil my whole installation and lead to many in-game bugs. Should i wait for the unpacker? I can wait a little more! There are some rumors about a 10th anniversary release... :D

If you want to alter reality, you must first escape from it.

My Deviant Art account

#10 Marvin

Marvin

Marvin

• 197 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 03:06 AM

Well, I try to explain:

1. Let's say you have a .rar file like this: "BGT_NSC_PORTRAITS_V1.2.rar"
2. Then you unpack it and you'll get a folder looking like this: "BGT_NSC_PORTRAITS_V1.2"
3. Now in this folder there are often these 2 files (sometimes more) and 1 folder: "NSC Portraits" and "Setup-NSCPortraits.exe" and "Setup-NSCPortraits.TP2".
--> These three files have to be in zhe BG2 - SoA folder.
4. Now say you got a folder: "BGT_NSC_PORTRAITS_V1.2"
--> In this folder is another folder, e.g.: "BGT NSC-PORTRAITS"
--> In this folder are the 2 files and 1 folder: "NSC Portraits" and "Setup-NSCPortraits.exe" and "Setup-NSCPortraits.TP2".
--> Then also you have obviously to copy these 3 files into the BG2 - SoA folder.

Wehn you're finished copying, then start the install.bat and follow the instructions. Before the installation starts the installer will list all the mods that will not be installed.
Now if there should be a mod listed that you WANT to install, you probably did something wrong with the unpacking or probably weiDu ins't up to date for this mod.
Then you just check if you unpacked it right.

With that many mods everybody makes a mistake once ina while. Also I unpack 2-3 mods wrong everytime. So don't worry and check out the installer.

Marvin

#11 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 03:15 AM

There are also mods that come in auto-.exe's, for them you need to unpack them alike a normal-.rar file(winrar can do this), just right click and decompress files. Or you can run the exe, but you need to exit the WeiDu window without installing any components.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 03 November 2008 - 03:15 AM.

#12 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 04:24 AM

Thank you Marvin and Jarno, you explained it well. But the main problem i have, is understanding this:

Note: some programs are packed again in a special set-up file.Start the setup and chose the separate
folder as the destination. Don?t worry when the program begins an installation: it cannot be executed,
as long as the file dialog.tlk is absent.

Well for example: BG2_Fixpack-v6. When i run it and set my "unpacked modes" folder as destination i get these 3 files in the folder: bg2fixpack, Setup-bg2fixpack and SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.DEBUG.

When istead i just decompress files like Jarno said, i get only two: bg2fixpack, Setup-bg2fixpack.
So i'm confused about it... :unsure:

Also, running BDash166 with "unpacked modes" folder as destination, i get a fatal error which leads in a non-stop dialogue in dos window, while instead unpacking with give me unpacked it's files (i guess it's obvious that in this case the second method is the right one)

But there are some files that i cannot open with winrar (they only have an option to run the file, not to decompress it, for example D0QuestPack_v23). Sould i run only these files and just decompress the others? I'm very confused about this.... :wacko:

PS:

Before the installation starts the installer will list all the mods that will not be installed.

:o! i didn't knew that! It helps a lot!

Edited by Silinde Ar-Feiniel, 03 November 2008 - 04:29 AM.

My Deviant Art account

#13 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 04:34 AM

Well for example: BG2_Fixpack-v6. When i run it and set my "unpacked modes" folder as destination i get these 3 files in the folder: bg2fixpack, Setup-bg2fixpack and SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.DEBUG.

You'll get the -debug file because the WeiDU.exe is started automatically at the end of the unpacking process, that's why you need to exit it, and you get the -debug file, it's not nessasary to copy it, but you can! By the way, if you open the .debug file with text editor(notepad), you'll notice it to be a text file quite like the WeiDU.log etc. things...

The Baldurdash error comes probably because of the WeiDU tries to autoupdate itself, but as there are .bat files at the mod folders that prevent it from doing so, the thing just rols around doing nothing, just exit it via the X.

But there are some files that i cannot open with winrar (they only have an option to run the file, not to decompress it, for example D0QuestPack_v23). Sould i run only these files and just decompress the others? I'm very confused about this.... :wacko:

You can run the .exe, but what ever you do, DO NOT INSTALL ANY PART of the mod, thanks.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 03 November 2008 - 04:40 AM.

#14 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 04:58 AM

Jarno thank you so much! It's all clear to me now!
I didn't knew the -debug files are not nessasary. Also you're so true about Baldurdash error. I noticed that there's no problem with decompressing, i just was in panic when i saw the thing just rol around doing nothing... lol

You can run the .exe, but what ever you do, DO NOT INSTALL ANY PART of the mod, thanks.

It's ok, i wasn't even given such an option. I follow the guide! I just decompressed it and i finally feel no more confused! :cheers:

My Deviant Art account

#15 dreamer2007

dreamer2007
  • 430 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 07:07 AM

I started to install on vista but it seems I encounter some problems. When the fixes start to be installed a new dos window appears that is patch.exe from_utils and nothing happens. Do you know what might be the problem?

#16 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 07:56 AM

I started to install on vista but it seems I encounter some problems. When the fixes start to be installed a new dos window appears that is patch.exe from_utils and nothing happens. Do you know what might be the problem?

Is the User Account Control on? As it needs to be off! And you did install the game to other directory than the default 'program files' folder? As if it's there, it might give you problems too.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 03 November 2008 - 08:04 AM.

#17 dreamer2007

dreamer2007
  • 430 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:39 AM

I turned the user account off, that was the problem, thank you for telling me about it Jarno Mikkola. For now the install is proceeding with no problems, I hope it will remain that way. And no I didn't install it in the program files :) .

#18 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 03 November 2008 - 07:04 PM

Hello, I use your patch files (thanks for the tremendous work testing and providing these fixes) to update the mods manually instead of using the BWP fixpack. I noticed a couple of these fixes may be redundant (or perhaps outdated) since some of the mods in question were updated and may already contain these fixes.

In the recent BWP release (6.02), there is a folder 'battles' that contains the fix - udmaster.baf.patch. I take it this 'battles' mod refers to Improved Battles? If so, isn't this mod considered obsolete since it is replaced by the new Revised Battles? So why is this fix necessary since the latest BWP guide itself recommends Revised Battles?

Also, the BoneHill folder contains a fix that makes changes to the Worldmap. I'm assuming this fix is for an earlier version of SoBH (2.10 / 2.20 according to the stickied thread in SoBH forum) because the most recent version (2.31 + 2.35 patch) already appears to include the changes made by the BWP fix. So do we still need this fix?

Does the BWP fixpack automatically detect which version of the mod these fixes exclusively apply to, or does it apply the fixes regardless of the mod version?

#19 -same guest-

-same guest-

Posted 03 November 2008 - 10:13 PM

I think there is a bug in the GBThfKp.tp2.patch file. Can someone else confirm this?

C:\test>patch -p0 --no-backup-if-mismatch --ignore-whitespace < GBThfKp.tp2.patch

Assertion failed: p_base <= file_pos, file pch.c, line 719

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

I looked into the patch file and noticed the pathname in line 2 is the same as in line 1. I changed it to:

+++ C:\BWP Patchstudio\patched files\GBThfKp\GBThfKp.tp2
and that seems to work.

I also have one more question.

Added new mods:
- Stone of Askavar v1.3

Was this mod tested and playable in your install before it was flagged "bgt-compatible"? I'm getting a crash right in the area where the mod's quest is supposed to start. (in chapter 3, go to AR3200 and take the entrance to the cave at (1620, 3485). This is supposed to take you to ARS001 (the area from the mod), but it doesn't seem to exist in my game.

#20 Gelrof

Gelrof
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 03:22 AM

A new version is always something nice to see. Am I correct that I now see a seperate "Installation of Kits" chapter? Or did I miss it in the previous versions?
This version now solves all my questions regarding kit installation and also the Wild Mage Additions. Great job on this newer version!

I will still wait a bit to go ahead and give it a try since I have not a lot of time at the moment and because I am awaiting more feedback from others who are more daring than me. Once again: great job on the install document, it is improving with each version!