The Darkest Day 1.12 forum/thread

• Please log in to reply
257 replies to this topic

#21 sdrake

sdrake
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 01:24 PM

@Azazello
Glad to help, hopefully all the other players like me that have played this game for 6+ years but never posted or contributed anything will come out of the woodwork also. Big thanks for the links, this will help me save some time.

@Hoppy
Thanks, yeah the technical stuff is not my forte (I can use NI somewhat) but I'll definitely keep the test reports coming.
Sorry about your hard drive, that seems to be happening to several people across the community.

VAMPIRE HUNTER
ADVANTAGES
-Immune to to level draining attacks and effects
-Recieves a +3 to THAC0 and +3 to damage aganist undead creatures
-Gains innate ability to Create Shadows at levels 1, 10, 14, and 18 (This ability causes the Vampire Hunter to blend into the surroundings and dissapear, and is similar to the Improved Invisibility spell)
-recieves +1 to maximum Constitution
-can create a stake weapon at levels 10, 12, 14, and 16 (this weapon lasts for 4 rounds and hasa 25% chance of slaying a vampire on a successful hit. It deals out 1D10+2 damage.)

DISADVANTAGES
-can only achieve Grand Mastery with piercing weapons: all other weapon types are limited to 3 proficiency slots maximum
-requires 17 Strength and Constitution
-cannot Dual Class
-must be of Good alignment

The only major problem (just like the Mage Hunter and the Sword Of Disruption) is the stake created by Vampire Slayer
is unusable, so I didn't get to test if that stake does the 25% chance of slaying a vampire on a successful hit.

I CLUA'd a vampire in and the immunity to level drain works.

Creating the stake is simple called "Vampire Slayer" and appears in the special abilites slot.

Create Shadows is just like the Improved Invisbility spell.

Everything else checks out here.

Next Kit Report The Sellsword

For everyone's information I'm doing these test reports on a BG2 Fixpack/TDD only install with the latest fixes from
the BWP Fixpack included.

#22 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:35 AM

Also, I am not sure if overpowered spells will be nerfed or not in respect to the original authors' intentions.

We should think about a little balancing/correcting. Each kit is a unique one and should be compared with the others at the same strength. It is not logical, if all kits are fine, but one or two of them are so overpowert, that the other kits looks like kiddies. :)

About the respect to the original authors intention, we can do it with a separate component is that really needed. ;)

Greetings Leomar
A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
but you have more choices or paths through the game.
- Chevalier

BiG World Project - Big Baldur's Gate World

#23 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:47 PM

Also, I am not sure if overpowered spells will be nerfed or not in respect to the original authors' intentions.

We should think about a little balancing/correcting. Each kit is a unique one and should be compared with the others at the same strength. It is not logical, if all kits are fine, but one or two of them are so overpowert, that the other kits looks like kiddies. :)

About the respect to the original authors intention, we can do it with a separate component is that really needed. ;)

Someone was going to bring this up, we were just waiting to see who would make the first move. Congrats.

Balancing will come. First, let's just get the damn things fixed. Second, let's let people play with them awhile, knowing that they at least work. Then, let's tweak 'em.

Kits should be logical? I'm shocked, shocked I say!

#24 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 07:48 AM

I'll report an old problem with different language users:

TDD has some BG1 NPCs and use them in BG2 with the same english soundset. I think this was planned to use the soundsets with each NPC if you have not installed BGT and so you can hear their voices in BG2, too. But with BGT these english soundfiles overwrites the soundfiles of other language versions, so we hear not more the original language version. In this case we hear the english soundfiles and that is annoying.

The Darkest Day overwrites with the following files (folder "ogg"):
Kagain (41 files), Kivan (41), Montaron (41), Shar-Teel (41), Yeslick (41)

To avoid this we need a BGT check, so if BGT is installed, the NPC soundfiles will not be copied and all different language users can hear the soundsets in their languages.

The only issue about that I could found, was in the file TDD-TISBIFF.bat where this stands:

move override\*.ogg TDD-WAV
xcopy /q TDD\OGG\*.* TDD-WAV\*.*
copy TDD\oggdec.exe TDD-WAV\*.*
cd TDD-WAV
oggdec *.ogg
del *.ogg
del oggdec.exe
cd..

Here we need a workaround that TDD does not copy the english NPC soundsets over the existing other language soundsets. A better great solution would be, if TDD copies or use the existing NPC soundfiles of the used language version of the BG1 NPCs for BG2.

Greetings Leomar

Edited by Leomar, 28 December 2008 - 07:56 AM.

A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
but you have more choices or paths through the game.
- Chevalier

BiG World Project - Big Baldur's Gate World

#25 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 09:22 AM

@sdrake

Regarding the vampire slayer stake item, if you open the ITM in NI and in the edit section there will be 4 subsections for UNUSABLE BY. I tested the kit and the item was usable but I had some Tweaks for item usability. If I have my old data retrieved, I will be able to see how we can use that if applicable.

If you can, try and edit the item and the usable/unusable tags and if you get it to be usable, upload it in a post. Then we have a working file. ;)

@Leomar

Balancing kits is a good idea but one I don't think we can implement without rigorous testing. Some of the kits may seem overpowered in some ways (vampire slayer vs. undead for example), but they may have weaknesses that balance them. When I played as a vampire slayer, he wasn't to great at fighting every type of enemy. That knowledge comes from doing a good sized runthrough in a game.

Another example is with the Frostdweller who does have some significant weaknesses. Also we have to remember that the spells that are used for kits are also found in other TDD scrolls and mage spells. They may be powerful against minor or weak enemies but stronger enemies will have better saves and more resistances.

What we can do is check the kit innates with their scrolls/mage spell counterparts and make sure they match at least. Hopefully I will be able to something more soon but all I do is hope right now. Real life...:o

Cheers everyone!
?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

Posted Image The Definitive Guide to Trolls

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#26 sdrake

sdrake
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:57 AM

Back from holiday...

@Hoppy
Under the ITM category I have
U1HA3XA
U2HAX4B
UDAGG5A
UHALB5A
UMBER01
UMBER02
UMSTR4B
UMSTR5A
UNDSLAY
USHL3B

Is the UNUSABLE BY somewhere else? (Apologies if this is a blatanly obvious thing.)

Upon further reflection I am going to refrain from commenting on whether a kit is overpowered or underpowered/balanced or imbalanced. The purpose of these tests are to get the kits to work as they are described.
When this is complete then we can move on to what might be overpowered/imbalanced/etc. There are 78 total kits to test here so this is going to take some time.

I'd also like to throw my vote in for The Darkest Day having its own forum.

#27 sdrake

sdrake
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:11 AM

SELLSWORD

ADVANTAGES:
Gains +1 AC at level 13 and 16 +1 to THAC0 at level 1, 13, and 16
Has 25% resistance to slashing and crushing attacks
+1 to max strength

DISADVANTAGES:
Cannot use 1-handed weapons
Can only gain slots in 2-handed weapon style
Receives -3 to max dexterity
Can only be human or half-orc

No problems to report, everything works fine.

Next Test: The Pit Fighter

#28 sdrake

sdrake
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:26 AM

PIT FIGHTER

ADVANTAGES
-Regenerates slowly
-Has a naturally high movement rate
-Gains Cure Serious Wounds at levels 1 and 12

-DISADVANTAGES
-Requries 16 Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution
-Must be a Human, Half-Orc, or Dwarf
-Can only be proficient with Sword and Shield Style or Two Weapon Style
-Wears no armour heavier than Splint Mail
-Does not use ranged weapons with any skill
-Can only place up to 3 proficiency points in a single weapon
proficieny
-Cannot be of Lawful Good alignment

The regeneration is 1HP/8 seconds real time.

The movement rate seems to be slightly faster than normal but not as fast as the barbarian.

I CLUA'd some plate armor to check the armor restriction (nothing heavier than splint mail) and no problem.

Everything else checks out, moving on to the BLADEMASTER.

#29 sdrake

sdrake
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:53 AM

BLADEMASTER

ADVANTAGES:
-Has a +1 bonus to hit
-Has a +2 bonus to damage
-Can enter a state of blind fighting at levels 10, 13 and 16 (this state will penalize his AC by 4 but will give him 25 dexterity and a +3 THAC0 bonus all for 5 rounds)
-Recieves +1 to maximum Dexterity

DISADVANTAGES:
-Recieves -1 to maximum Strength
-Uses only the following weapons with any skill: dagger, spear, quarter staff, long bow, bastard, long, and 2-handed sword
-Wears no armour greater than studded leather
-Must be human, halfling, or half-elf

I CLUA'd some plate mail armor to test the armour restriction and had no problem.

There are no problems to report.

More test reports to come.

#30 sdrake

sdrake
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:17 PM

AMAZON

ADVANATGES:
-Can poison weapons such as spears at level 10
-Can charm animals once every 4 levels
-Can use their female status to an advantage by using First strike (this grants them +3 damage and a superb bonus to
there THAC0 for only the first or second hit. This is due to the disrespect that their foes tend to give them as females.)
This First Strike ability is gained at levels 1, 10, and 14
-Gain 1D10+1 hit points as opposed to 1D10

DISADVANTAGES:
-Cannot be of Lawful alignment
-Can only use spears, swords, axes, clubs and bows with any skill
-Can obtain Grand Mastery only with spears and the long bow
-Wears no armour greater than splint mail
-Must be Half-Elf

Charm Animal ability works fine

Poison Weapon works fine

First Strike gives the Amazon a +20 THAC0 bonus to the first two hits the Amazon makes on an enemy

Armour restriction (no greater than splint mail works fine) works fine

Everything else checks out.

Next Test Bladesinger

Should these test reports be moved to another specific thread like TDD KIT TESTING so it's all in one place? That way this original TDD thread can have less clutter and be more organized.

#31 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 07:26 PM

@sdrake,

Hmmm, if you want to save some time you can post only the kits that aren't working and whatever their problem may be. It will be easier to group the broken ones and make fixes for each so that we only deal with the bugs and they don't get lost in the thread.

Great detail in your analysis by the way!
?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#32 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 11:28 AM

Currently working on Mage Hunter. Many of the spells are misdirected and the same issue with the Vindicator sword was apparent here with the MH sword.

This one is hard because of the different and minor conflicting differences with the descriptions. I like sdrake's decription but I see many more abilities in the CLABFI06 than the descriptions and the spells need to be applied correctly.

Thanks again for the description sdrake and for testing the kit! :cheers: I do like the generic description currently in the version as it gives a sense of unknowing and interest in the kit.

The actual Sword of Disruption will work now but it needs a better BAM for uniqueness and usability checks. Other resistance abilities need triple checking so that is where I am at.

- King Diamond

#33 sdrake

sdrake
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 02:00 PM

@Hoppy
Thanks, I agree that make more sense just to post the kits that have problems. Regarding the Mage Hunter kit:

From this link that Azazello gave (props): http://pagesperso-or...it/Mage_Hun.htm
the Mage Hunter gains Protection from Lower Resistance, Disintegrate, and instant death as well as immunity to non-
magical weapons at level 24. I didn't include this in my first test so I will have to test this.

Glad to see you got the Sword of Disruption to work. If I can help getting the spells to work let me know.

I like knowing the advantages/disadvantages of a kit before I play it and I don't understand why the TDD authors gave
the vague description of the Mage Hunter. Perhaps because this kit is very powerful? Anyway knowing what the
pluses/minuses are for my personal use is fine and leaving the original kit description I have no problem with.

I've been testing the fighter kits but if there's any kit that needs to be tested ASAP let me know.

Happy New Year everyone! :cheers:

#34 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 04:04 AM

I like knowing the advantages/disadvantages of a kit before I play it and I don't understand why the TDD authors gave
the vague description of the Mage Hunter. Perhaps because this kit is very powerful? Anyway knowing what the
pluses/minuses are for my personal use is fine and leaving the original kit description I have no problem with.

I do not remember the history of TDD's development, but I think multiple contributors worked on some of the kits, that's why the descriptions and coding may mismatch.

Because you two (and future) contributors are willing to expand the development of the mod, you can decide how to resolve the conflicts (see g3Fixpack debates). Good luck!

#35 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:55 PM

Project originally begun by Radagast_the_Brown and continued by me to get the bloody thing to cast the spell. Original TDD spell changed to use the projectile and VVC. No other changes made.

Included files:
A CRE file for initial installing of TDD
A BAF file for initial installing of TDD
A BCS, SPL, and VVC that can be used for extracting to override or copy/paste to override if TDD is installed.

Could you also attach your SPDRGTOP.BAM file? Thanks.

#36 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:13 AM

Sorry I missed that one. Here it is:

Attached File  SPDRGTOP.BAM   141.56K   264 downloads

- King Diamond

#37 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 08 January 2009 - 11:20 AM

Sorry I missed that one. Here it is:

Thanks. Just so you know, BP also has a topaz dragon (BPDRAGTP) of the same name (it's probably meant to replace the one from TDD, but not completely sure). So any changes that you make to the TDD creature (DRAGTOPE) may get overwritten if BP is installed after. I had the same problem of the topaz dragon and a few other dragons knocking themselves out in the same area out due to lack of protection from WB.

#38 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 02:59 PM

BP uses the other dragon (bpdragtp)in AR1700 (Small Teeth?) and I have taken into account the overwriting that BP does for the actual TDD dragon (dragtope). BP will overwrite and I have spread the word to Azazello about using my Topaz dragon fix for TDD to be included in the next version of BP. When that will be I do not know.

To overcome this, copy the DRAGTOPE.CRE from the TOPAZ DRAGON FILES.rar into the BP/CRE folder and overwrite. Or use the one in TDD/CRE folder if that is installed already and the same .rar was applied to TDD before installing. That way when BP is installed after TDD, it will not revert the CRE file back and will have better compatibility.

I am only a minor contributor in the BP workroom and I have dedicated whatever free time I have now to fixing outstanding bugs for TDD. I am not able to fix the other BP dragons due to time so hopefully someone will pick up on that. I don't even have time to play the game except for minor testings.

Thanks again for the input! :cheers:

EDIT:

@guest

Have you tried the game with the actual Topaz dragon edit? Just curious as to what you think ;)

Edited by Hoppy, 08 January 2009 - 03:02 PM.

- King Diamond

#39 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 03:30 PM

BP uses the other dragon (bpdragtp)in AR1700 (Small Teeth?) and I have taken into account the overwriting that BP does for the actual TDD dragon (dragtope). BP will overwrite and I have spread the word to Azazello about using my Topaz dragon fix for TDD to be included in the next version of BP. When that will be I do not know.

To overcome this, copy the DRAGTOPE.CRE from the TOPAZ DRAGON FILES.rar into the BP/CRE folder and overwrite. Or use the one in TDD/CRE folder if that is installed already and the same .rar was applied to TDD before installing. That way when BP is installed after TDD, it will not revert the CRE file back and will have better compatibility.

I am only a minor contributor in the BP workroom and I have dedicated whatever free time I have now to fixing outstanding bugs for TDD. I am not able to fix the other BP dragons due to time so hopefully someone will pick up on that. I don't even have time to play the game except for minor testings.

I know the feeling - only just got to Suldanessellar in early December '08, from an installation created in 2006. :mellow:

BP will have all the dragon fixes and will include your Topaz fix. Thanks for your contributions!

#40 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 09 January 2009 - 02:34 AM

Have you tried the game with the actual Topaz dragon edit? Just curious as to what you think

heheheh... after having endured Aza's Improved Melanthium, Tapanasacar wasn't too tough. :whistling: But it was certainly more memorable than the original topaz dragon. That much is certain. He did sometimes cast Greater Malison a bit too frequently, which I found odd considering the spell doesn't stack but I think even the unedited version displayed that behavior, and I suppose it gives the party time for a breather.

Overall, a worthy adversary! Nicely done Hoppy. :cheers:

Thanks for the fixes.