Photo

What games are you looking forward to, 2009 edition?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Bluenose

Bluenose

The gnome-sage of Ral Worcester

• 1565 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 05:51 AM

Title really says it, what games are you looking forward to on PC or elsewhere this year? For me there's three that I am certain to buy, although I'm not absolutely sure they're all going to be good. In estimated release order:

1. Dawn of War II. I really enjoyed the first game. I'm not quite so sure about this one, since there seems to have been a fundamental change in the concepts and it's a very different style of RTS if it is an RTS at all. I'm still going to buy it though, probably as soon as it comes out. I likes me some Tyranids.

2. Empire: Total War. By contrast, one I'm absolutely certain will be good. None of the Total War games have let me down so far, and this won't be any different. Hopefully the AI improvements will be working, but even if they aren't it's supposed to have support for multi-player play on the campaign map as opposed to single battles. This had better be great. Pre-ordered.

3. Dragon Age: Origins. Assuming it actually makes it, and I think it will, this is the game I'm going to be playing next christmas. I will pre-order it once an actual release date is available, that's how much faith I have in Bioware to deliver.

Back from the brink.

Like RPGs? Like Star Wars? Think combining the two would be fun? Read Darths and Droids, and discover the line "Jar Jar, you're a genius".

These, in the day when heaven was falling,
The hour when earth's foundations fled,
Followed their mercenary calling
And took their wages and are dead.

#2 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 06:02 AM

The Scout Update. The Survival Pack Update. The other TF2/L4D updates that will come after those. HL2EP3. TBH. A remaster of GTAIV without the suck.

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#3 Darziak

Darziak

Neutral

• 681 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 07:10 AM

Resident Evil 5 on Xbox 360 - re4 was great and when I tried the demo out it was very exciting playing solo and with a friend.

Dragon age:origins, Killzone 2, The sims 3 maybe I might enjoy them. :P

#4 Icendoan

Icendoan

"An Infinite Deal of Nothing"

• 1723 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:53 PM

DA:O, SW:TOR (sort of counts, and iirc, this is an 09 game), TBH.

Icen
Proud member of the 'I HATE Elminster!' Club!

Mods in development: Keeping Yoshimo

#5 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 02:26 PM

Diablo 3.

DoW 2, TBH, both look good, and there's probably others I'm forgetting. And technically, no guarantee Diablo is out this year.

EDIT: Starcraft 2

Edited by Kellen, 14 February 2009 - 03:43 PM.

"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#6 Philiposophy

Philiposophy
  • 155 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 03:23 PM

StarCraft II

#7 Kellen

Kellen

• 7092 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 03:42 PM

StarCraft II

Ah, yes. Added.
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

#8 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 05:47 PM

Diablo, Dragon Age: Origins (and most importantly the toolset!), and TBH if it gets out this year. :)

#9 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 06:35 PM

3. Dragon Age: Origins. Assuming it actually makes it, and I think it will, this is the game I'm going to be playing next christmas. I will pre-order it once an actual release date is available, that's how much faith I have in Bioware to deliver.

December 21, 2012. ;)

(Gamestop said November 4th I think)

Definitely Diablo.
DO ~SetGlobal("omgBbqRomanceActive","GLOBAL", 2)~

Gibberlings Three - IE Modding Community

#10 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:30 AM

I'll second everyone else and say Diablo III. Diablo was my first game ever and I love it and Diablo II to bits, and I always will, even if I can't stomach playing them anymore thanks to zero replayability. So, yes. Diablo III. Gimme.

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!

#11 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 06:03 AM

My new PC arrives soon (hopefully next weekend - it's still in the building stage) so I have plenty to look forward to - not only new games but older ones I've not been able to play on my current beast (Mass Effect, Fallout 3, possibly even NWN2 if it doesn't throw a wobbly at dual processors, The Witcher, Oblivion).
Of this year's crop, Dragon Age is the obvious highlight. SW:TOR may tempt me as well. I've not played an MMO since quitting UO mid-2007. I'm a bit like a divorcee - I loved UO and put my heart and soul into it, but I'm wary about getting involved again. :D
You know, I never played Diablo I or II.

#12 Epantiras

Epantiras

Proudly Chaotic Neutral

• 810 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 09:36 AM

Dragon Age!!
Diablo 3 is the next in the list but I doubt it will be released in 2009.

oO My DA Gallery Oo
oO My Artcorner on SHS Oo
oO "Ask the Betrayer" parody comic Oo
oO My other parody comics on SHS Oo

Oh, and Epantiras, you're simply Epantirastic.

(and no, I'M not egocentric!)

I Hate Elminster! (proud member of the We Hate Elminster club)

#13 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 10:04 AM

Hm. Let's see... there aren't really that many games I'm looking forward to, because I only play CRPGs and have completely lost interest in playing any MMOs, but here are my picks for 2009:

1. Dragon Age: Origins - Promises to deliver a whole lot of exciting content, and since BioWare has yet to fail me, I'm putting my money on this title.

2. Diablo III - I was never too big on the previous titles, but I did play them enough to know that I'll like this modern installation in the series if the game mechanics remain similar. Who knows, maybe this title will be the one to hook me on the series.

3. Deus Ex 3 - Not much info on this title and its 2009 release is only theoretical, but since I'm a big fan of first game I'll be waiting for this. I'm not even going to comment on the second installment of the series though.

4. NWN2: Mysteries of Westgate - Technically this is an Adventure Pack with estimated 8-15 hours of gameplay, but since I like the games I'll check this out. On a side note, I never played any of the NWN1 Adventure Packs. It's also a known fact that the development of Mysteries of Westgate ended in 2007, but it has been delayed for over a year by Atari, because they can't get their copy protection sorted out.

#14 Kellen

Kellen

• 7092 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:55 AM

possibly even NWN2 if it doesn't throw a wobbly at dual processors

I have a dual-core and it works fine.

#15 Icendoan

Icendoan

• 1723 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 02:25 PM

Duke Nukem Forever :P

Icen

#16 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:01 PM

Oh! Purgatorio. Even though it's a NWN2 mod, it looks utterly wonderful. I really can't wait to play it.

#17 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:28 AM

Diablo III.

And though I'm pretty sure it'll suck, I'm curious about the Watchmen game (which is a prequel to the book).

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg

#18 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 04:30 AM

Baldur's Gate... :D

I have already realized the fact that games can only get worse, so I am not looking forward for buying any of those.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#19 Scipio

Scipio

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

• 1790 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:09 AM

1. New mods for Baldur's Gate (and a PC upgrade so I can play all the older, very large mods for which I currently don't have enough RAM, although I have no problem working with 300MB Photoshop files).

2. New battle maps for Warzone 2100.

3. Diablo III.
I did battle with monsters, and they became me, and when I gazed into the abyss, the abyss looked away shyly.
See, it helps not to believe all the stuff that philosophers spout.

#20 Icendoan

Icendoan

• 1723 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 06:33 AM

I really don't want the WATCHMEN game. I enjoyed the book far, far too much.

Icen