Photo

KotOR any good?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Philiposophy

Philiposophy
  • 155 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 02:25 PM

Hello all, I've got some important exams coming up fairly shortly but I was thinking briefly about what new games I wanted to try out over the summer when I've no more exams to be stressed out by 8)

I've heard some good things about Knights of the Old Republic but I've never played it so I'm not sure whether I'd enjoy it. Basically, is it a good CRPG? Also, I've not really taken much notice of Star Wars besides the original trilogy, seeing as I hated the prequels. Would this have any effect on how much I enjoyed playing it?

Thanks in advance.

#2 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 02:27 PM

KotOR, and its sequel, are both very good games that I recommend. And whether you've seen the movies or not doesn't matter in the slightest - KotOR is set about 4000 years prior to the movies. :)

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!

#3 Philiposophy

Philiposophy
  • 155 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 02:38 PM

Ah, okay. Problem is that the prequels wrecked what was a quality film series for me, so I've been suspicious of pretty much everything outside the original trilogy ever since :lol:

They're going for relatively little on amazon.com so I think I'll give them both a go, if the sequel is also good. Thanks :)

#4 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 02:56 PM

If it's any reassurance, I hated the three prequels as well. Not even Natalie Portman being pretty could redeem them. I still love the games. ^_^

#5 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 03:02 PM

I've heard some good things about Knights of the Old Republic but I've never played it so I'm not sure whether I'd enjoy it. Basically, is it a good CRPG?

Well, as there are different kinds of CRPG games, let's say what kind this is...
The game basically works like NWN game, so it has a bit fancier 3D graphics than BG2 for example, example from KotOR 1... Although there are just 3 classes to start from, the game expanse itself with few others, as you gain NPCs and you go forward in the game etc. 'trying to not give spoilers'.

Also, I've not really taken much notice of Star Wars besides the original trilogy, seeing as I hated the prequels. Would this have any effect on how much I enjoyed playing it?

Well, the game happens in 4000 :unsure: years before the Episode 1, so a lot might have changed in between etc. so I do not know, but it really doesn't matter, as the real content of the game is in the story, not the movie setting... but in the same imaginary 'culture'. Or at least that's my belief. By the way, there is one cut scene in the first game that's set upped so well that I would claim it to be one of, if not the best cinematic in the whole gaming industry, and it's also the very essence of the 'culture'.

Now, I liked the games a lot, and am a bit sad that the second game ended badly, as most of the end and some other bits are not included... but there is still hope, on the PC version of the game... so get the PC version, and play the KotOR 1 first.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 07 May 2009 - 03:36 PM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#6 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 03:36 PM

Well, as there are different kinds of CRPG games, let's say what kind this is...
The game basically works like NWN game

Except KotOR's camera angles and controls doesn't give you headaches, but yeah. It's 3D.

#7 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 03:42 PM

And except the fact that NWN sucks.

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg

#8 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 02:43 AM

Choo Choo and Jarno have pretty much covered everything, but I thought I'd add my two cents. Yes, KotOR 1 (and even 2, even though it can be flawed) is still worth playing in 2009. I play a lot of old games anyway, so I wasn't bothered by the graphics (so the game doesn't look like the latest Call of Duty, so what). I thought the story was compelling, I grew fond of the characters, and the gameplay was pretty much a no brainer (I like my video games to be straightforward, I mean, this is supposed to be "recreational", right?). What more could you ask for?
So, if you can find it, I say "go for it"! :)

And yes, the prequels were awful, awful, awful... *shakes her head*

By the way, there is one cut scene in the first game that's set upped so well that I would claim it to be one of, if not the best cinematic in the whole gaming industry, and it's also the very essence of the 'culture'.

I have to admit, I'm curious about which one you're referring to....

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#9 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:31 AM

By the way, there is one cut scene in the first game that's set upped so well that I would claim it to be one of, if not the best cinematic in the whole gaming industry, and it's also the very essence of the 'culture'.

I have to admit, I'm curious about which one you're referring to...

Sending you a PM with YouTube answer. ^_^

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#10 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 06:05 AM

I have to admit, I'm curious about which one you're referring to...

Sending you a PM with YouTube answer. ^_^

Now I'm all curious, too! Send? ^_^

#11 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 02:05 PM

Both worth playing, and I only played then last year myself. I loved KotOR I. Although it's set 4000 years before the movies, it still has a nice Star Wars flavour. It also has some great characters (Jolee, HK-47, and Canderous) and is overall very entertaining.

KotOR II is a little different. It's much gloomier, but it's quite interesting (once it gets going - I was not a fan of the area where the adventure kicks off) and has some genuinely exciting sequences. It brings into question whether the Jedi really are all that good and virtuos, so it has quite a different viewpoint. As with the first game, you can choose to play light or darkside, but in this sequel, your choices also influence your companions.

There are two problems for me. One was that it wasn't finished (not Obsidian's fault - their ideas were a little amibitious, true, but LucasArts made them rush it out early and the result was a lot was cut, and unfortunately, it shows). The last planet it poor and the ending, woeful. However, the parts leading up to that make it worth playing. The other thing for me was that I actually found it depressing. On my third playthrough I realised I really did feel down, so I decided not to play it again (although I will, if Team Gizka get their restoration mod out. And that's looking more likely now).

Edited by Cal Jones, 19 May 2009 - 09:44 AM.

#12 Anonymous2

Anonymous2
  • 460 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 03:55 PM

One could argue the KotOR games have a better story than the new Star Wars movies...so yeah, you might want to check them out lol. If your a fan of SW in any way shape or form I recommend you set aside a month or so to play both games, if your anything like me and like a great story in your video game than like everyone else you'll fall in love with the franchise. I was never really much of a SW fan before I tried the games, suffice to say the games made me a SW fan, I got totally lost in the greatest science fiction universe there is...and still do every now and again, sure the games don't have the same effect the millionth playthrough but that magic is still there that no other game can top.

I haven't had anything positive to say about the franchise since the Lucas/Bioware MMO merger and have very much so moved on from the franchise but I guess I wouldn't be human if I didn't hold out a microscopic hope that a KotOR III is made...even if by then I feel I'll have lost interest.

But as for the first two games- play them, you won't be disappointed. Get lost in the franchise like everyone else... :whistling:
Disappointed in LucasArts and Bioware.

#13 Jazhara7

Jazhara7
  • 715 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 04:56 AM

KotOR any good?

Yes. KotOR many good.

- ^_^ ^_^ ^_^ ^_^ ^_^ ^_^ ^_^

Hey, are you hungry?

I Hate Elminster!
(proud member of the We Hate Elminster club)

#14 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:58 AM

In a word, yes. Both KotOR games are among the best I've ever played.

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#15 Tassadar88

Tassadar88

Templar in Flames

• 1302 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 12:12 PM

In a word, yes. Both KotOR games are among the best I've ever played.

Seconded. I am playing Mass Effect now and it feels like a redone KotOR game (without lightsabers though)
Play the first one first and wait for the restoration project to play the second one and you will not be disappointed :)
The Mind is its own place and in itself - can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven. -John Milton, Paradise lost

#16 Philiposophy

Philiposophy
  • 155 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 12:23 PM

Right, I got the first game and I've completed now. Really enjoyed it.

Probably going to get the second game since I enjoyed the first one so much.

Thanks for the recommendations :cheers:

#17 Aeryn

Aeryn

Peacekeeper

• Modder
  • 764 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 01:43 PM

Without spoiling anything, I have to say that KotOR2 disappointed me because I was left feeling a distinct lack of resolution or accomplishment at the end. The game up until the end was delightful, if a bit rushed and thin at points, but the ending just really fell flat for me. I would still recommend playing it nonetheless. :) There are far more good things about it than bad things. The original KotOR continues to be one of the best games made in my ever humble opinion. ^_^

Visit My Etsy Shop!

Completed Works:

Sarevok Romance

Haer'Dalis Romance

Sarevok Friendship

Contributions:

Romantic Encounters

Works in Progress:

Haer'Dalis Friendship