New sticky thread re: Sounds

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 01:03 AM

*points up* See the new sticky thread? It's pretty much the most comprehensive analysis of sounds you're ever going to see for this game, heh. It's been getting worked on by scient and I over a course of several weeks. Pretty much done now, though of course it may get more updates as we discover more things.

If someone looks at the list and thinks something along the lines of "Hey, if you use this unused line from Annah with this unused line from Grace, you could make a new banter!", I very much encourage you to post your thoughts :) That's why I've posted it publicly rather than our playing around with it in the Workroom. Any other input is quite welcome.

Post it in this thread, though, rather than in the sticky, just to keep things uncluttered up there.

Qwinn

#2 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 02:16 AM

I'm not sure how easily you can implement the unused files into the game, but some of them would fit in random speech when walking in certain areas. I'm sure that most of what I'll say here is obvious, but without thinking this much:

NOR158 : "Shadows in vicinity have achieved mass and threatening trajectory." -> Unused
When Nordom detects nearby shadows? Maybe he could say it at that time. Or at the fortress of regrets.

ANA179A: "We shouldn't be here... the Lady'll put us in the dead book for sure!" -> Unused
maybe in ravel's maze? Or if the party is mazed from the lady?

# ANA200A: "Feel dead already." -> Unused
# ANA201A: "I donnae think we'll be leavin' this place." -> Unused
# ANA202D: "Better stay close, I don't want to be alone here." -> Unused

Maybe she should say this when entering certain dangerous ares, like the outlands or near endgame?

# ANA204D: "I won't let ya down." -> Unused
# ANA245A: "I'll sort it out." -> Unused
# ANA247A: "Aye." -> Unused

After a battle command from TNO? or just a simple command.

# ANA206I: "Oh... see... I ... love you." -> Unused
# ANA207F: "...hafta stay, ya see ... I love ya." -> Unused
# ANA208E: "I don't care what ya say to this, I don't, I don't want ye to say anythin'... but I can't let ya die here." -> Unused
# ANA209E: "Oh please don't let me die here." -> CRE 0x1bc, Area: Fortress, however, can't be heard in game due to party separation.
# ANA210D: "It's alright... I trust ye." -> Unused
# ANA210E: "Do what ye hafta... I trust ye." -> Unused
# ANA211D: "I forgive ye..." -> Unused
# ANA211E: "It's alright... I forgive ye..." -> Unused

Annah expanded romance mod? :P

FFG069: "I fear that not all of us shall return from this place." +
ANA309A: "Ye want to leave? Go ahead!" -> Unused +
FFG140: "Actually, I was planning to stay for a while if that does not offend, Annah." -> Unused
I'm stretching this a bit. :)

MRT157: "Annah, would you stop flicking that tail for a few seconds, it's really irritating."
MRT540: "Great. I finally meet a succubus, and she's a puritan." -> Unused

random speech from morte?

NAM072: "The damn thing's cursed."
when you equip a cursed item?

Edited by ghostdog, 25 May 2009 - 04:50 AM.

#3 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 04:10 AM

Awesome. 8)

I'll give it a look.

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg

#4 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:31 AM

Ghost:

Most of the sounds you mentioned were original or alternate sounds for the Fortress area. They're unused, unfortunately, due to the fact that they're all separated from you when you go to the Fortress. Pretty sure every PC actually has at least one existing Fortress sound already attached to their CRE file, but you never hear it cause you're never with them outside of dialogue or combat at the very end.

So getting those in would require a significant mod designed to -not- separate your party from you when you go to the Fortress. That was clearly the plan at some point. Heck, Morte and Dak'kon even have sounds appropriate to when you meet your own incarnations.

Of the rest:

NAM072: "The damn thing's cursed." - when you equip a cursed item?

Yep. Every NPC has a sound in a soundset I'm calling "Item cannot be unequipped". That's TNO's. Most of the others are along the lines of "I won't part with that.".

There's roughly 9 soundsets. 6 of 'em may actually be implementable. Here's the list I gave scient on what I thought would be a good priority list for enabling those soundsets in game:

1. Spell Has Been Warped by Plane (hardly anyone even noticed spells DO get warped, so I think this would be great, my #1 preference)
2. Item cannot be unequipped (trying to unequip cursed items, I agree would be fun. Would never hear Morte's though, heh.)
3. Item cannot be equipped (just trying to equip a "red" item for whatever reason).
4. Locked (this one would be great, heard when you click on a locked container or door. BG and BG2 have sounds when you click on those, right? I can't remember but I think so. Right now, in PS:T, you just get floating text that says "The container is locked." or "The door is locked." or "The door is locked. You will need a key.". Because of that, it will require 3x the engine room that any other soundset does.
5. Spell has been copied. (Eh. Right now it pops up a little box in the inventory screen that says "Spell has been copied!". Add the sounds there? Mebbe. Low priority at least for me though.)
6. Item Identified. (I would consider adding these when you right click an item and it gets identified. However, Morte doesn't have one. The soundfile actually exists, it's just the only one that, when you play it, you hear silence: MRT361. And the sounds we do have for the other PC's aren't particularly interesting. Lowest priority far as I'm concerned. Don't care if it's never implemented. Might wind up just being obnoxious, actually.)

Annah expanded romance mod?

That -would- be cool, but as mentioned, I would implement that as part of a bigger "Party isn't separated from you in the Fortress" mod. Not something I'm really interested in doing without finding some previously undetected largish bit of dialogue in the dialog.tlk for it though :)

I'm stretching this a bit. :)

Heheh... yeah ;) Not a bad attempt, though... I -was- looking for something to go with that Annah line, and the one you started with -is- better than any I'd thought about.

MRT157: "Annah, would you stop flicking that tail for a few seconds, it's really irritating."
MRT540: "Great. I finally meet a succubus, and she's a puritan." -> Unused

random speech from morte?

Yep. These would work as what are called "Insult From X to Y" sounds. Most PC's already have 'em... Morte's existing Insult to Annah is "You know, it wouldn't hurt you to talk to me, thiefling. Or hug me. Or kiss me." and he has a couple for Grace ("Graaace, I need a sensory touch" and something else).

Not surprisingly, I think Morte is full up :D Every slot in the CRE file that can have an insult attached already does so. I'm actually completely stumped as to how those slots work, and how it can tell if the appropriate party member is within the party. A challenge for scient to figure out how that works ;) And maybe to allow other slots to be used for additional insults... there's plenty to spare, they're just not allocated to that purpose yet.

If we -can't- make more sound slots into "Insult" slots, then we have one other option, which I noted most in Morte's list. Perhaps an "Alt-Sound" UB component that lets you exchange the sounds you've heard a billion times already for some alternates that weren't. Those two you mentioned, as alternate "Insult" lines to the ones that got used. Here's a few others I'd consider putting into such a component:

Original Morte Bored: MRT042: "Oh come on, let's shake a leg. Well, you shake a leg."
Alternate Morte Bored: MRT041: "*Sigh* It's almost like the master of our destiny got up for some coffee."

Original Morte Rubikon area sound: MRT104: "I... I feel like I'm in a cuckoo clock. A cuckoo cuckoo clock."
Alternate Morte Rubikon area sound: MRT106: "You know, this place looks like Mechanus but it feels all wrong."

Original Morte Insult to Vhailor MRT170: "*Sigh* I think someone needs to oil Vhailor."
Alternate Morte Insult to Vhailor: MRT168: "I'm not saying Vhailor's barmy but his scales just don't balance."

Original TNO Fortress sound: "This is it."
Alternate TNO Fortress sound: "So cold here I can feel it." OR "This place stinks of death and shadow."

You get the idea.

Qwinn

#5 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 07:02 AM

So getting those in would require a significant mod designed to -not- separate your party from you when you go to the Fortress. That was clearly the plan at some point. Heck, Morte and Dak'kon even have sounds appropriate to when you meet your own incarnations.

This would be awesome, maybe something to ask mca about...

A challenge for scient to figure out how that works wink.gif And maybe to allow other slots to be used for additional insults... there's plenty to spare, they're just not allocated to that purpose yet.

I would be great if you could pull this off.

#6 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 25 May 2009 - 07:13 AM

This is quite awesome.

I would love more slots as well. There is a lot of great, unused lines there.

#7 scient

scient
  • Modder
  • 1010 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 07:36 AM

Ya, I'm going to start working on the sounds after I finish up a few things up. I've been optimizing all engine patches thus far since I know a lot more about how the game works then when I originally coded them for v3. No real mechanic changes since all of original patches in v3 worked fine except how I did TNO hp progression (fixed for v4). I did expand the limit on journal entries to all UI components but I haven't put it to the test. I think you were limited to a maximum of 128 entries in dialog window scrollback log so if I'm right you'll now have a maximum of 640 entries just like for the journal. Plus there a few fixes I need to finish implementing like STR progression.

Adding in the sets should be possible, I just need to understand how game structures it for other stuff like how to set it up and placement of clips.

Edited by scient, 25 May 2009 - 07:38 AM.

Those interested in the classic TBS game Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri / Alien Crossover should check out the unofficial patch I work on here.

#8 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:09 AM

BTW...

Can anyone save this for me as a .WAV file and email it to me? When I click, it opens it with QuickTime and won't let me save it as a .WAV unless I buy QuickTime Pro. *grumble*

http://www.rpgwatch....e_Kidnapped.WAV

This is the only other soundfile I'm aware of that didn't actually ship with the game... Chris Avellone sent it to Brother None over at Gamebanshee after an interview, where he mentioned how Grace or Annah was supposed to be kidnapped when first entering the Modron Maze. He linked me to it here:

http://www.gamebansh...ers-101777.html

There may be an additional file for Annah as well, which I'll ask MCA about after Alpha Protocol ships.

More info about it from Chris:

To be honest, there wasn't much beyond audio files for Grace and Annah
(the Modron Wizard was supposed to be able to kidnap either one). When
John Deiley inherited the area, he either wasn't as excited about the
quest or simply ran out of time to finish the side content, so there
wasn't even any dialogues or scripting for it, unfortunately.

The Annah and Grace lines were supposed to be barkstrings they would
play on occasion as the player was fighting the Wizard in the final room
- Annah or Grace would be in the cage either pissed off (Annah, who's
embarrassed by the whole thing) and Grace (who's excited by it, because
she's never been kidnapped before, and it's a new experience).

Chris

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 25 May 2009 - 08:09 AM.

#9 scient

scient
  • Modder
  • 1010 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:46 AM

Opera ftw! :P

Attached File  Fall_From_Grace_Kidnapped.WAV   178.02K   227 downloads

Those interested in the classic TBS game Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri / Alien Crossover should check out the unofficial patch I work on here.

#10 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 09:01 AM

EDIT: Deleted a couple posts cause no one cares about my stupid browser issues.

Anyways. So. If we ever -were- to use that file, I think we'd need to massage it a bit, I put it in the override directory and then played it with DLTC along with some other FFG sounds, and it plays considerably louder than any of the other files. Still, that'd be the least of the problems in getting the kidnapping quest going, like, creating the quest and writing every line of involved dialogue from scratch, heh.

Figured we should at least make a copy of the sound available here, though, in case anyone wants to run with it.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 25 May 2009 - 09:38 AM.

#11 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 25 May 2009 - 11:59 AM

Morte has the unused line: "Annah, would you stop flicking that tail for a few seconds, it's really irritating."

Annah has quite a few good responses. However, they are all related to reputation/morale. Well, if morale is not being implemented for whatever reason or one of the lines will be free later, I think that could make for an interesting banter.

#12 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 12:06 PM

That line is actually pretty redundant to an existing banter. See MRT476A.

The full banter goes like this:

Morte: "Annah, could you stop flicking that tail? It's irritating."
Annah: "If yeh shut yer trap, then I'll stop waving my tail.""
Morte: "Flick away then!"

I'll note the redundancy in the sound file, thanks for reminding me.

Still, lots of banters are somewhat redundant... if you can actually craft a good one out of what's available, go for it!

At the moment, I'd probably be inclined to saving the line you spotted as an additional "Insult from Morte to Annah", if we can get more slots for insults lined up. Those are just the ones that play randomly once in a while when both characters are in the party.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 25 May 2009 - 12:15 PM.

#13 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 25 May 2009 - 12:20 PM

Okay, went through a bit of it again:

TTB020: "In time, my cause shall be honored." -> Unused
I think this line is really good. Perhaps put it in as a line that is played during his fight?

FFT009: "Finally... at peace." -> Unused, but referenced in STRREF 58970 as "Dying" sound... restore?
Go for it!

FFT056: "Feh! You'll regret attacking me." -> Unused
Obviously played if the player decides to attack Fjhull.

FFT065: "Feh! Thrice damned be you, mortal." -> Unused
Could perhaps be played while fighting the player. That would use up all Fhjull's unused lines.

DEN029: "Shadows." -> Unused
Been years since I played this game... but doesn't some shadows gang up on Deionarra during a cutscene when the player progresses the story? Maybe I am completely wrong about it, but in the slight case that I am not, this could be played during said cutscene.

Regarding TTO, he sure does have some kickass lines. Especially the "Shadows, to me." line makes me wonder if he was originally intended to summon helpers during the end fight. Would also explain why the TTO fight is so under-tuned. Lots of goodies here, hope a lot will get squeezed in.

#14 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 12:43 PM

Some good thoughts there.

Yeah, I'll likely see about playing Fhjull's "You'll regret attacking me" and "Finally, at peace" sounds. They shouldn't be too difficult.

The Trias line is clearly a "on death" sound. He pretty much wheezes it. Might be difficult to get in there, seeing as the only way you can actually kill him is via dialogue.

Side note: I actually have problems with Trias dialogue as it exists, particularly when Vhailor goes to kill Trias after you have redeemed him. You can't even try to stop Vhailor verbally, and the ONLY response you can give after he's dead is "Just die already", which doesn't fit after you redeem him. But, that's the way it is, sadly. I may try to add in some existing dialogue lines used elsewhere in his dialogue to give you non-shitty, non-evil responses. Won't change what happens, but will hopefully get rid of the fourth-wall-breaking "WTF?" sensation that the dialogue as it stands provokes.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 25 May 2009 - 12:47 PM.

#15 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 25 May 2009 - 12:44 PM

That line is actually pretty redundant to an existing banter. See MRT476A.

The full banter goes like this:

Morte: "Annah, could you stop flicking that tail? It's irritating."
Annah: "If yeh shut yer trap, then I'll stop waving my tail.""
Morte: "Flick away then!"

I'll note the redundancy in the sound file, thanks for reminding me.

Still, lots of banters are somewhat redundant... if you can actually craft a good one out of what's available, go for it!

At the moment, I'd probably be inclined to saving the line you spotted as an additional "Insult from Morte to Annah", if we can get more slots for insults lined up. Those are just the ones that play randomly once in a while when both characters are in the party.

Qwinn

IGN001: "I live." -> Unused
Would it be possible to use this line when Ignuss is freed from his prison?

#16 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 12:50 PM

DEN029: "Shadows." -> Unused
Been years since I played this game... but doesn't some shadows gang up on Deionarra during a cutscene when the player progresses the story? Maybe I am completely wrong about it, but in the slight case that I am not, this could be played during said cutscene.

I don't believe this happens anywhere in the game as shipped, though I wouldn't be surprised if that was planned at one time.

Regarding TTO, he sure does have some kickass lines. Especially the "Shadows, to me." line makes me wonder if he was originally intended to summon helpers during the end fight.

Yeah, sounds like they thought about it at one point, but there's no vestige of script implying that it made it past the "we might do this" stage. There -is- tons of evidence that they really intended to make TO a lot tougher based on your level, though, see this thread: http://www.shsforums...showtopic=40454 I think I will actually bring back the tougher TO's as a recommended UB component.

Qwinn

#17 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 12:53 PM

IGN001: "I live." -> Unused
Would it be possible to use this line when Ignuss is freed from his prison?

It'd be tough... it's not a cutscene, it's all dialogue, and I'd have to actually modify dialogue to add those words. First thing he actually says in dialogue, when you say "Ignus...?" is "Yessssss...."

You did give me an idea though. The cutscene where TO approaches Ignus and says "Arise!", when you first enter the shadow-hall in the Fortress? It's different if Ignus was dead at that point already... TO resurrects him. Might be cool to add that line there.

EDIT: Actually, after testing how it sounds, it's not that great. It almost sounds like one barely intelligible word, "Iliiiiiv." Meh.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 25 May 2009 - 01:06 PM.

#18 xantrius

xantrius
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 01:09 PM

Maybe trigger this line from Morte " MRT168: "I'm not saying Vhailor's barmy but his scales just don't balance." -> Unused"

when Vhailor kills Trias, after you have redeemed him.

Edited by xantrius, 25 May 2009 - 01:12 PM.

#19 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 01:30 PM

If we can't open up more Insult lines in the CRE, that's a good idea xantrius. Very well might.

Qwinn

#20 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 01:45 PM

Did a LOT of updates to the Morte section, btw, based on stuff scient and I just uncovered. Mostly they have to do with sounds you can get to play via mucking around in Morte's inventory screen. In particular, note MRT220, 223 and 224.

Qwinn