Photo

Adding obligatory food?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Cykuta

Cykuta
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:17 AM

This is an idea I've had for quite a long time. I think it's not so hard to do, but i admit i know nothing of it :)

Anyway, how about a small mod that adds a compulsion of eating something every 24-hours or so? If you didn't, a 'hungry" icon would appear on a character's portrait, and a penalty of some sort would be suffered, like it is when the're tired... The mod would add grocery merchants to buy food from before you set out on a journey for small sums (after all, if 40 arrows cost 1 gp...). The penalty could be to THAC0, or movement speed?

(not hard to guess, idea is inspired by those really old 'dungeons' rpgs of yore :) )
Guess what? I've started a blog! Kitchen Witchcraft : of Magic and Macaroni.

#2 Philiposophy

Philiposophy
  • 155 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:32 AM

Interesting idea.

Could be a lot of consequences to not eating. Eventually characters would have to die of starvation, I assume, if they had nothing for a long time.

#3 Epantiras

Epantiras

Proudly Chaotic Neutral

• 810 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:08 AM

I'd play that mod XD
I think "hungry" should have the same penalities of "tired" and cause a temporary -1 to str/dex/con (i.e. physical stats, not mental stats) after a long period without food. The effects would become worse with time, just like "tired". Maybe the hunger could make characters become tired more quickly.
As evolution of this concept, there could be a "thristy" option, however it would make the game unplayable imo ;-) it would turn your NPCs into little craving tamagotchi :-P

oO My DA Gallery Oo
oO My Artcorner on SHS Oo
oO "Ask the Betrayer" parody comic Oo
oO My other parody comics on SHS Oo

Oh, and Epantiras, you're simply Epantirastic.

(and no, I'M not egocentric!)

I Hate Elminster! (proud member of the We Hate Elminster club)

#4 Orthodoxia

Orthodoxia
  • 853 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:14 AM

I want this mod! Now, if we could only add the cooking skill when camping outside...

And what's wrong with tamagotchi? You already have to heal, dress them up, make decisions for them and manage their love lives... <_< :P
Dear gamer! You cannot summon Spirits of Rage when fighting bosses. We apologize for any inconvenience. Please send all complaints to Undead Control Administration, Bosses Combat Department, and apply for revision of the Endoria combat regulations. - King?s Bounty, the Legend
Posted Image

#5 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:55 AM

how about a small mod that adds a compulsion of eating something every 24-hours or so?

That would only add unnecessary routine to gameplay, without improving it in any notable fashion.

Retired from modding.

#6 Epantiras

Epantiras

Proudly Chaotic Neutral

• 810 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:00 AM

You already have to heal, dress them up, make decisions for them and manage their love lives...

Aww... I can see your point ;-)

oO My DA Gallery Oo

#7 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:41 AM

Anyway, how about a small mod that adds a compulsion of eating something every 24-hours or so? If you didn't, a 'hungry" icon would appear on a character's portrait, and a penalty of some sort would be suffered, like it is when the're tired... The mod would add grocery merchants to buy food from before you set out on a journey for small sums.

Ahh, this is why the party is looking for Imoen, she just tastes the best.

I think "hungry" should have the same penalities of "tired" and cause a temporary -1 to str/dex/con (i.e. physical stats, not mental stats) after a long period without food.

Ah, yeah, a starving baby usually become a little weak but is able to keep the calm head all the time, right? :blink:

No thanks.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#8 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:00 AM

Sounds like feeding the spirit meter in MotB. That was a colossal pain in the butt. I disabled it first chance I got.

At first blush, it sounds kind of cool, a fun little extra to make the game more immersive. But if you wanted to do that, you'd have to base the food needs on strength. A fighter with a strength of 18/96 needs more food than a mage with a strength of 6. And then, there's that whole "elimination" thing.

I can see it now. You're in the Underdark, you're out of food, and Minsc is on the verge of organ failure because he's dying of starvation, and Valygar gets mugged by some Drow while looking for a place to go. :lol:

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#9 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:15 AM

The thing is, we've got very different eating habits ourselves(for example, are you sure that every single person who posted in this topic eats bread?), not to mention different visions of what each NPC's eating habits should be. For example, I'm almost sure Cernd eats very little in human form, and quite a lot - including meat - in another form. I know that neither strength, nor constitution has any bearing on one's real hunger. And I'm also quite sure a few days' fast does nothing for an expert warrior's skills, if he knows what he's doing.

And, yes, anything that makes the game less convenient will probably be unpopular. Well, not as popular as "Remove XP Cap" or "Dungeon Be Gone".

#10 Aeryn

Aeryn

Peacekeeper

• Modder
  • 764 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 11:09 AM

Personally, I think remembering to eat in real life is enough responsibility for me. :P This is a cute idea, but I think it would get old after a few...minutes. Now, eating as an optional deal, and certain foods giving you a temporary stat boost would be something I could enjoy... ;)

And berelinde, I know exactly what you mean about MotB...my first play-through I told myself I had to put up with it to "fully experience" the game...but every play-through after that, first thing I did was find the code to keep it maxed. >.<

Visit My Etsy Shop!

Completed Works:

Sarevok Romance

Haer'Dalis Romance

Sarevok Friendship

Contributions:

Romantic Encounters

Works in Progress:

Haer'Dalis Friendship

#11 sotona

sotona
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 11:31 AM

I'd like this mod, but without serious penalties like loosing stats, thus removing the necessity of feeding your PC. This mod should provide a role-playing ability to eat, but if you do not want to, it should not be the problem. Just for fun :)
Whoa lord, it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way.

Altered Knock Spell

#12 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 11:35 AM

That would only add unnecessary routine to gameplay, without improving it in any notable fashion.

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg

#13 xdeathplanetx

xdeathplanetx
  • 164 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 11:53 AM

the ideas is really fine... but dies and penality not.... there can also be added food as extra iteam with unknow benefit/penalities whan u use them...

#14 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 03:58 PM

While I echo everyone else's sentiments on the desirability of adding this feature, it's worth noting that while the penalties you propose would be simple-enough to implement...

If you didn't, a 'hungry" icon would appear on a character's portrait,

...this is non-trivial from a technical perspective. As I recall the bams that contain these "status" icons are nearly full and there's a pretty decent chance that the commands to call those icons are hard-coded (IE, the game's "display status icon" command will only recognize the "icons" that are already there as frames, even if you add more frames), similar to the insufferable state of the musiclist, so you might have to replace one of the existing statuses and then you'd have to figure out which one - which would be problematic since I believe the description text that appears on the character sheet screen actually is hard-coded.

Anyway, you'd have to figure out which script all this would go in and there'd be potential complications with penalties not getting set correctly in scripts for characters who were disabled, etc.

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#15 Leila

Leila
  • 146 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:41 PM

Sounds like feeding the spirit meter in MotB. That was a colossal pain in the butt. I disabled it first chance I got.

Heh, I actually loved it. :S

As for the mod itself... it'd be interesting, I suppose, but I'm not sure how much it'd actually add to the game unless you applied bonuses to Constitution for maintaining a well-balanced diet or something. But then again, there are people who love micro-managing, so those who -don't- like it don't have to install it, of course. But you have to take into account that food doesn't last forever... it could end up being very tedious to manage, and if you were doing a mod based on realism (having to eat) then making food never spoil would be kind of silly.

#16 Epantiras

Epantiras

Proudly Chaotic Neutral

• 810 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 12:18 PM

I'd like this mod, but without serious penalties like loosing stats, thus removing the necessity of feeding your PC. This mod should provide a role-playing ability to eat, but if you do not want to, it should not be the problem. Just for fun

Once again, compromise seems the best choice ;-)

oO My DA Gallery Oo

#17 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 07:05 AM

(for example, are you sure that every single person who posted in this topic eats bread?)

Yeah, but I am quite sure that you all eat some kind of carbon compound that when united with O2 releases energy. Unless someone of you proclaim to be a descendant of the chemosynthesistic life forms, and even there the process is quite similar.

Why bread is usually the energy source for the traveler in many worlds? Is, that one usually can make it so, that it stores and is eatable during long journeys, it's not cause it has everything, but cause it has most of them... cause you do not need it to have everything on your journey, but just the most... aka energy.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#18 Epantiras

Epantiras

Proudly Chaotic Neutral

• 810 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 07:14 AM

I've got an idea! Use beans to cast Stinking Cloud or - even worse - Cloudkill! XD
Please forgive me.

oO My DA Gallery Oo

#19 Cykuta

Cykuta
  • 88 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 11:56 PM

Would it be possible to create food items that would cancel the fatigue effect, then? Instead-of-resting like. Could be useful, especially when you get your cleric to cast restoration... And no need to add new status icons :)
Guess what? I've started a blog! Kitchen Witchcraft : of Magic and Macaroni.

#20 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 01:03 AM

Would it be possible to create food items that would cancel the fatigue effect, then? Instead-of-resting like. Could be useful, especially when you get your cleric to cast restoration... And no need to add new status icons :)

Quite easy, actually. It'd be a matter of creating a potion-type item and using the "cure opcode" opcode in its effects, with the opcode for fatigue as the argument. Get DLTCEP which is by a wide margin the most intuitive editor if you're accustomed to GUI (IE, Windows) systems, install it per instructions, and open one of the "POTN" items (IE, POTN09) and take a look at it in the editor to see how it works.

You could also fiddle with scripting a bit to have characters refer to being hungry on certain timetables (you'd want to use the text-over-head action, probably; I forget which that is), as well as the "normal" fatigue thing, but that take significantly more work. You could even set local variables for the characters to interact with scripting to make them "hungry" after an elapsed time since the last meal, with the timer reset by eating. The portrait icon is the thing that I'm most skeptical about, actually...

Though I still don't think very many people are going to install this mod, honestly.

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard