• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 01:50 PM

How much do we love the Sarevok Romance?

(I believe the correct answer to this is "too much".)

Awesome job, Aeryn, it's been a pleasure. :)

#2 Aeryn

Aeryn

Peacekeeper

• Modder
  • 764 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 02:32 PM

Probably not as much as I loved writing it. ^_^ This mod might never have happened, and certainly not nearly as quickly, without Liam's hard work. The pleasure is all mine! :D

Visit My Etsy Shop!

Completed Works:

Sarevok Romance

Haer'Dalis Romance

Sarevok Friendship

Contributions:

Romantic Encounters

Works in Progress:

Haer'Dalis Friendship

#3 irrha

irrha
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 12:41 AM

I love it so much there is a slight risk of me spontaneously exploding into tiny little heartshaped pieces. For serious.

Aeryn, you've done a wonderful job. A big kudos to you and all of the people who have been working on this. :wub:

#4 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 12:52 AM

I'm glad you've enjoyed it. Hopefully you'll enjoy Aeryn's Haer'Dalis romance just as much, when it gets finished!

Edited by K'aeloree, 22 July 2009 - 01:03 AM.

#5 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 08:49 AM

It's good. I liked reading it(naturally, read it all through), and I especially enjoyed NPC reactions - not only they are good, but some of them actually deepen the characters, give new meaning and new angles. Strange, but I liked Imoen's a lot('cause I dislike her, but she was very good there). Sarevok, too, was very well done and certainly(to me) in character. I think I learnt nothing new about him, but I liked what I saw.

#6 Aeryn

Aeryn

Peacekeeper

• Modder
  • 764 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 01:32 PM

Thanks. :hug:

I think I learnt nothing new about him...

To be honest, that's kind of one of the drawbacks of Sarevok specifically. He's a pretty known quantity, and so much of his life is charted out that there's not much to expand on. And that's why Haer'Dalis is a nice change - there's a lot of wiggle room with him. ;)

Visit My Etsy Shop!

Completed Works:

Sarevok Romance

Haer'Dalis Romance

Sarevok Friendship

Contributions:

Romantic Encounters

Works in Progress:

Haer'Dalis Friendship

#7 Heres A Man In A Hat

Heres A Man In A Hat
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:31 PM

Just thought i'd add my praise for this mod! I've been playing mods for years and only posted on these forums once so it took your mod to get me off my butt.
Really well written, great interpretation of characters, but my real motivation for posting was, an Uncle Ben quote? Awesome!
Well done!

#8 irrha

irrha
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:19 AM

I'm glad you've enjoyed it. Hopefully you'll enjoy Aeryn's Haer'Dalis romance just as much, when it gets finished!

Am trying not to think about the Haer'Dalis romance too much, since it'll probably take a while for it to be finished. Patience has never been my strong suit. :whistling:

Oh, speaking of Haer'Dalis! When he asked Sarevok a certain question, I must admit I laughed so hard I cried. Pure brilliance. :woot:

Quick question though: Are the "speeches" that Jaheira and Imoen have in store for the PC supposed to be player initiated?

#9 Aeryn

Aeryn

Peacekeeper

• Modder
  • 764 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 11:16 AM

Quick question though: Are the "speeches" that Jaheira and Imoen have in store for the PC supposed to be player initiated?

No, but now that I think about my last few test runs, I may have had the same problem. Because I don't remember them popping up. We'll take a look at it! ^_^

Visit My Etsy Shop!

Completed Works:

Sarevok Romance

Haer'Dalis Romance

Sarevok Friendship

Contributions:

Romantic Encounters

Works in Progress:

Haer'Dalis Friendship

#10 irrha

irrha
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 07:49 AM

No, but now that I think about my last few test runs, I may have had the same problem. Because I don't remember them popping up. We'll take a look at it! ^_^

I probably should've written it in the bug report thread, but since I wasn't sure if it was a bug or not... :blush: If I notice anything suspicious again, I'll be sure to post it in the right thread. :)

#11 Orthodoxia

Orthodoxia
  • 853 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 09:13 AM

I don't know, those showed up for me around the fire giants' temple.
Dear gamer! You cannot summon Spirits of Rage when fighting bosses. We apologize for any inconvenience. Please send all complaints to Undead Control Administration, Bosses Combat Department, and apply for revision of the Endoria combat regulations. - King?s Bounty, the Legend
Posted Image

#12 Cykuta

Cykuta
  • 88 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 03:52 PM

It really was a pleasure, cutting our way into our nemesis' evil heart. I have to say I was quite sceptical about the whole idea, but it turned out to be wonderful! One thing i dislike about some romances is how they have an obvious "right" way of doing things - agreeing with anything or giving repetitive support, usually. This wasn't one of them, and big applause to the writer for that. She was also talented enough to write a convincing expansion on a very difficult character, and actually make him... well... desirable despite the precedent.

All in all, I can't remember having that much fun through ToB since Kivan, and that's really good, on my personal Kivanomaniac scale :D Thank you for your hard work, everybody!

(Although the first moment when Sarevok advanced on my pc with a double-handed sword drawn was quite scary, but it suits him very well so this probably counts as another advantage, really.)

Edited by Cykuta, 30 July 2009 - 03:53 PM.

Guess what? I've started a blog! Kitchen Witchcraft : of Magic and Macaroni.

#13 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 12:31 PM

I've just finished it myself. Didn't have any problems, although Aerie and Imoen's banters didn't fire (I read them after anyway). H'Ds did - hilarious!
I thoroughly enjoyed the mod - finally I get to romance the one guy I've wanted to since, well, ToB arrived. Huzzah!
I did the nicey nice, non-ascending good path and found that it very satisfying that, even right up to consumation, my character never was quite sure how she stood with him.
Only thing I'd suggest would be adding some music for the love talks in a later build, but it's no biggie.

I'm really intrigued to know what you're going to do with Haer'Dalis now. :)

#14 sings

sings
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 01:04 PM

I just finished TOB and, wow, Aeryn, great mod! I can't tell you how long I've been hoping and waiting for a Sarevok romance mod and I just love what you've done with it. Sarevok seemed right in character all the way through. Although it's hard to pick out highlights, I did particularly enjoy the way you handled the discussion about Jon Irenicus and also Sarevok's obvious discomfort and reticence about Tamoko.

I ran through the "nice" path, with Imoen and Anomen in the party. I did not get any PC/Imoen or Sarevok/Imoen banters to fire, alas, and I suspect there should have been something. In fact, Imoen seemed strangely silent the whole game. I don't play with her often but I expected more. Another thing I noticed, which may or may not be what you wanted: if the PC chose to ascend, Sarevok's epilog was the standard Bioware one. There was a different (better) one when she chose to stay mortal.

*Spoiler*

My PC romanced Anomen all thorugh SOA, and the conflict in TOB seemed very one-sided, with Anomen being the only one who had any objections. That seemed pretty in character with both of them, actually, and I think overall I'm glad neither descended into any serious dog-fighting (fun as that could have been, I don't think either would do that). But darned if that knight didn't desert my PC right in the middle of the Melissan battle! Nice timing, not. Good thing my PC had Vailor's (sp?) helm tucked away in her pack or I don't know how she would have pulled out a victory, LOL.

Anyway, thanks so much for a very enjoyable mod and for making me fire up BG2 yet one more time. Maybe I'll be inspired to actually finish my Sarevok fan fic.

#15 Aeryn

Aeryn

Peacekeeper

• Modder
  • 764 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 03:46 PM

I don't know what the deal is with Imoen's banters (specifically) - I know that they triggered at least once for me in my tests, and I know another time I accidentally force talked to her and they popped up. I swear sometimes it's like the game goes through mood swings. <_<

Another thing I noticed, which may or may not be what you wanted: if the PC chose to ascend, Sarevok's epilog was the standard Bioware one. There was a different (better) one when she chose to stay mortal.

Yeah, that particular path does use his standard epilogue - the other three possible romance endings have different ones. I'll blame laziness, but really it seemed to fit properly so I just settled for it.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. ^_^ I really did have fun writing it, so it's a great reward to know that other people enjoy it as well!

Visit My Etsy Shop!

Completed Works:

Sarevok Romance

Haer'Dalis Romance

Sarevok Friendship

Contributions:

Romantic Encounters

Works in Progress:

Haer'Dalis Friendship

#16 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:13 PM

What are the three other possible endings, out of interest?

Good romance - stays mortal
Evil romance - stays mortal

What's the third?

#17 Aeryn

Aeryn

Peacekeeper

• Modder
  • 764 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:49 PM

Evil romance, ascended. I'm actually pretty fond of that one... :shifty:

Visit My Etsy Shop!

Completed Works:

Sarevok Romance

Haer'Dalis Romance

Sarevok Friendship

Contributions:

Romantic Encounters

Works in Progress:

Haer'Dalis Friendship

#18 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:10 PM

Aha! OK so the good/ascend one has the vanilla epilogue but the evil/ascend one doesn't. Good, because I was going to do that in my current game. :devil:

#19 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:31 AM

I know I'm a bit late, but I just got around to play the Sarevok Romance, what with completing the French Translation of Xan for BG2 and all. I must say, I'm completely blown away. I already had high expectations because of a certain "Insomnia" fan fiction, but you've managed to top yourself, Aeryn!!! I've always been pretty indifferent to Sarevok, taking him along only if a spot opened up in the party due to certain events. He's an excellent fighter, but I never managed to bring him around to my way of thinking (which, in the world of BG2, often includes benevolent gods, kind and giving people, and cuddly bunny wabbits ;) ), which added to my frustration with said NPC.
However, you were able to not only arouse interest, but also to make me genuinely care for Sarevok, all the while staying completely in character. I especially enjoyed the flirts which were so.... "Sarevokish". In a few words, you managed to add certain aspects to the man while completely staying true to his character, and that's quite a feat.
Congratulations and thank you !!!!

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#20 Aeryn

Aeryn

Peacekeeper

• Modder
  • 764 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 12:35 PM

Thank you! :D The flirts were possibly the most fun to write, to be honest. :P

Visit My Etsy Shop!