• This topic is locked This topic is locked
43 replies to this topic

#1 Lava Del'Vortel

Lava Del'Vortel

Fiction Enforcer

• Modder
  • 2298 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 05:47 AM

I would like to hear any opinion about the mod... If you like it or not, did you enjoy it, what do you think about the idea, do you preffer more... classic adventures? Well, you do not have to answer to all questions, but simply what did you like and what you did not. Well, if someone wants to write a "big post" about his feelings after playing it, it's welcome :P (Well, but probably there won't be that kind of "review" :P ) Even few words about it. It would be helpful when creating new mods. Were there enough dialogues? Was the music ok? Voices? Bams? Anything? :P
And another thing: is someone willing to see other mods from the Colours of Infinity series?

Cheers! :cheers:

LD'V

Edited by Lava Del'Vortel, 10 October 2011 - 02:49 AM.

#2 Ankhes

Ankhes
  • 244 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 12:31 PM

I was going to start a topic as I just finished one runthru of this mod but you beat me to it, Lava!

My opinion on the fun factor - very fun. I really enjoyed something different and that makes you think. The area is small, but holds a lot of mystery and secrets. The battles were hard but not impossible by any means unless you cannot figure out the weakness of a particular enemy now and then.

My opinion of the pretty factor - ooooohhhh pretty! I liked the characters there and the special areas you get to to gather the components you need to later escape. Plus the portraits are amazing.

My opinion of the mod as to reload factor - hard. I am ashamed to admit I had to use the walkthru a couple of times because once you talk to somebody and if you give the wrong answer you are just plain screwed. I mean really really screwed. You have to reload because the character you need walks off and leaves you to rot. I know I'm not the "smartest" player but I don't think I'm the only one who will run into this problem. I think you need to be given a chance to speak to a character again for the correct replies if you mess up.

My opinion of the new items - cool but not overpowered. There are some unique items you can purchase that are fun simply because they are different. If you are like me and have played the game a gazillion times a new weapon is a real treat. Or a new robe. But to me the items are not overpowered. I do have one MAJOR problem with one spell. I cannot think of the name of it right now but it looks like a "goodberries" scroll. There is simply NO WAY to scribe it and you are supposed to be able to. I have the tweak to memorize all spells 100% and no go. So this is a problem. Unless it is my install.

My opinion of the characters - great. I really like how you have to talk to people for the clues you need and I love the dreamy voices. It adds to the surrealistic and dreamy aspect of the place. Well done! The only problem is...I don't know if you can complete the mod if you "choose" the wrong one. Because once you make the choice you are stuck with it. And the walkthru doesn't address this. (But I'd better double check as I could be wrong. I tried not to spoil myself too much on this because the thinking is half the fun.)

Overall, great! I will keep it in my games and see if sometime I can remember and use my brain properly enough to do it in one go. I'll find out soon. Great job Lava! I DO want to see more of your work. Thanks for all the hard work and for sharing. :cheers:

#3 Lava Del'Vortel

Lava Del'Vortel

Fiction Enforcer

• Modder
  • 2298 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 12:56 PM

The only problem is...I don't know if you can complete the mod if you "choose" the wrong one. Because once you make the choice you are stuck with it.

But what choice you are talking about? :P

I cannot think of the name of it right now but it looks like a "goodberries" scroll. There is simply NO WAY to scribe it and you are supposed to be able to. I have the tweak to memorize all spells 100% and no go. So this is a problem. Unless it is my install.

Well, maybe I forgot to change something in the scroll/spell file... I will take a look on it. Thx for informing me about it!

Overall, great! I will keep it in my games and see if sometime I can remember and use my brain properly enough to do it in one go. I'll find out soon. Great job Lava! I DO want to see more of your work. Thanks for all the hard work and for sharing. cheers.gif

I am working on next project from CoI series. Probably first will be new place on the map to visit. Something more... normal, but still interesting... I hope :P It doesn't mean it will be a totally classic adventure... Well you will see, still there is still much work to do with this project!

My opinion on the fun factor - very fun. I really enjoyed something different and that makes you think. The area is small, but holds a lot of mystery and secrets. The battles were hard but not impossible by any means unless you cannot figure out the weakness of a particular enemy now and then.

Thx! The weakness or way to kill the particular creature is usually hiden in the poem that appears before the fight.

Thank you for the opinion. I simply wanted to make something different from the adventures we had possibility to complete in original SoA and ToB games. We had chance to visit Abyss, Planar Prison etc, but still Deep Gardens are something different. I am glad someone do like it. And I am glad there aren't any sirious problems when completing the quest! :D

#4 Ankhes

Ankhes
  • 244 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:46 PM

Thanks for such a quick reply. I didn't want to say the choice as it would be too spoilerish. I'll say what I mean here - SPOILER

Spoiler

Edited by Lava Del'Vortel, 14 August 2009 - 01:49 PM.

#5 Lava Del'Vortel

Lava Del'Vortel

Fiction Enforcer

• Modder
  • 2298 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:50 PM

I used the spoiler option in your post. It looks a bit better now.
Spoiler

I will change the line in spoiler. Thx!

I hope there will be some more opinions soon! :)

EDIT:

I do not see a line in walkthrough that says
Spoiler

Edited by Lava Del'Vortel, 14 August 2009 - 01:55 PM.

#6 Ankhes

Ankhes
  • 244 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:53 PM

Oh, cool then!

Yep, people, please post your opinions here. I want to know also what other people have to say.

Oh, and thanks for making my post look better. I don't know how to do that fancy stuff for spoilers. :wall:

Edited by Ankhes, 14 August 2009 - 01:55 PM.

#7 Kuugen

Kuugen
  • 81 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 08:27 PM

I will ( maybe this weekend ) get another install ready ( no way I'm going to screw up my current install. it's a BWS and who knows in what kind of bugs i run if i install a big mod like this in the end. ) and actually play through this.
In the worst case, you can simply reset the Global and reclua the character you need.
how long is this mod anyway? i mean, if you dont have to reload a zillion times, how many hours do you sit on this?

#8 Western Paladin

Western Paladin
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 08:59 PM

how long is this mod anyway? i mean, if you dont have to reload a zillion times, how many hours do you sit on this?

I got through all the content in a couple of hours total; I had to consult the walkthrough for the first segment of it, so add a little more time if you don't do that.

I really enjoyed playing this mod. It was certainly very different from anything else currently available. To me it felt sort of like an episode from Neil Gaiman's Sandman.

"Peace will come, but whether born of harmony or entropy I cannot say."

-- Oracle en-Vec

#9 Ankhes

Ankhes
  • 244 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 11:11 PM

I used the spoiler option in your post. It looks a bit better now.

Spoiler

I will change the line in spoiler. Thx!

I hope there will be some more opinions soon! :)

EDIT:

I do not see a line in walkthrough that says
Spoiler

You are absolutely right. (Slaps forehead) I don't know why I misread it. Sorry for the mistake about the spoiler! My brain cells are flying around most of the time and not really arranged properly. :P

Oh, and in reply to the poster who said about 2 hours - I think that is about how long it took me. I personally loved every moment!

#10 Lava Del'Vortel

Lava Del'Vortel

Fiction Enforcer

• Modder
  • 2298 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 12:18 AM

Well, longer than I thought :P It is possible to finish it faster but there is no need for that. No rush, take a look on spells, descriptions, items... :)

I really enjoyed playing this mod. It was certainly very different from anything else currently available. To me it felt sort of like an episode from Neil Gaiman's Sandman.

I didn't read it, so I do not know, but I know the style of Neil Gaiman... well, you may be right... Still, it's not based on it, because... I didn't read it :P

If you are not interested in reading descriptions, trying out new spells etc, you may finish it in something like 50 minutes, but if you want to read descs, complete 2 minor quests, know more about Gardens (what means talking to Marble Gaze a bit longer on the beginning) it can be something like 2 hours...

I had to consult the walkthrough for the first segment of it

The mages request means that you have to think about the poem and visit some places... well, in the first version player had only 1 day for that, but I changed it to 3 days :P

You are absolutely right. (Slaps forehead) I don't know why I misread it. Sorry for the mistake about the spoiler! My brain cells are flying around most of the time and not really arranged properly.

And BTW, if you do not mind a bit of sensual talks with person of the same gender, you want to try out this track of Touch Relations it may be something interesting. And another info is that when talking with for example Temper... when talking with a male you will see a bit different talks from thos which would fire for a female charname...

#11 -Bryan Prieur-

-Bryan Prieur-

Posted 17 August 2009 - 02:36 PM

Very Poor ! Does not Work right. Was this Play tested?[

#12 Ankhes

Ankhes
  • 244 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 03:16 PM

Very Poor ! Does not Work right. Was this Play tested?[

Could you be more specific? I had no trouble having it work fine. The only glitch I had was that I never could get one of the items from the list but I thought it was because I have a goodly amount of mods installed and no-one else has mentioned this. Other than that, you'll have to tell Lava precisely what doesn't work right.

Are you certain it is not because there is something wrong with your installation?

#13 Lava Del'Vortel

Lava Del'Vortel

Fiction Enforcer

• Modder
  • 2298 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:15 PM

As Ankhes said, you have to write something more. The mod is working, it was tested by many people including other modders like Kulyok. Also there are opinions, what means the mod was played and finished by others and that means it does not work on your computer. If you say something more, I will help but with such a message, I can do nothing.

#14 Kuugen

Kuugen
  • 81 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 11:42 PM

the kind of writing and the nothing-saying method tells me ( also, that it was a guest ) that this comment was a troll comment because this mod is new and thus an easy target. some people really have no life or just no brain and some dont have either. this guy must be of the latter sort.

#15 darlarosa

darlarosa

A rush and a push and the land we stand on is ours!

• 384 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 04:58 PM

It was a very intriguing and rather fun quest. I will admit I was bit wary at first but all my wariness faded when I actually got to the D.G, which was a very cool area and VERY pretty to look at....it's just so....pretty. *stares at the Deep Gardens* O_O uh any who. It was a great mode the fights were fun and challenging to the point I had to reload once or twice which is fine. The riddles were also challenging, but I will admit I had to look at the spoilers for some of the locations once I figured out what item to look for. The various characters stood out completely from many other mod characters. They were completely diffirent in a sense that they had the same quality of the Deep Gardens, if that makes sense. In short great mod, and I'll be awaiting some more of your work...seriously....I'm waiting ^_^
We could argue all day about whether or not I'm a reprehensible human being...Posted Image

"Feeling unknown
And you're all alone
Flesh and bone
By the telephone
Lift up the receiver
Ill make you a believer"

- Depeche Mode

Posted Image ------Posted Image ]------Posted Image------Posted Image----------Posted Image---------Posted Image----Posted Image------Posted Image-------Posted Image-----Posted Image-----Posted Image-----Posted Image------Posted Image------Posted Image--------Posted Image-------------Posted Image-------------------- click my dragon if you luv meh!

#16 Lava Del'Vortel

Lava Del'Vortel

Fiction Enforcer

• Modder
  • 2298 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:39 PM

Anhes & Kuugen - thank you for your reaction on this... strange opinion that appeared.

Darlarosa - thank you for the opinion ;) You helped me a lot, my betatestr :P I am glad that someone is willing to see fore of my work. There will be a new version of TotDG soon, and yet I am already working on my other project. I am not sure which I should finish first - a brand new place to visit - village of tethir called Innershade or my NPC Yvette. Both of those mods are from Colours of Infinity series. There are also 2 NPC but my works on it are rather chaotic, still they may be finished before Innershade and Yvette. We will see :)

#17 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:11 PM

I have finally managed to finish playing this quest and I must say I was impressed. I must admit I recognised the areas from Icewind Dale but you've made them look very nice. You've managed to create a something really original, with a unique atmosphere of its own. Congratulations.

#18 Lava Del'Vortel

Lava Del'Vortel

Fiction Enforcer

• Modder
  • 2298 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:07 PM

They (areas) were changed only a little. I am glad you like them and the whole mod! Wow, I am surprised that there are so nice opinions about TotDG :)

#19 Shaitan

Shaitan
  • 800 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 04:16 AM

Hi!

I wanted to say thanks for getteing the chance of playing through such a fine mod. Overall I'd give Tales of the Deep Gardens 9/10, and the only reason it doesn't get 10/10 is the lack of NPC comments (partywise that is). I only got one from Temper Touch when she tried to "seduce" me :). My party was Jaheira, Nalia, Anomen, Ninafer (NPC mod) and Kivan (NPC mod).

Areas: As mentioned before in this thread there's a resemblence with Icewind Dale, but to me this didn't matter one bit as you've made these areas so beautiful and full of nice colours :) Even the lack of informations on the map (when pressing M ingame) reminds me of old BG days before the TAB key lit up everything. Very well done.

Quest: The quest to obtain access to the DG was the most difficault to me. The quests inside DG was moderately tough but very well made. I had most troubles location the guy with the yellow colour.

Fights: I had troubles with the Pit Fiend summoned (Black Colour) but that could be due to SR/SCS2 installations. Other than that it was on a manageble level. I was level 12-13 when I started TotDG.

Items: They need a little more details in it, as mentioned with the bark.

XP: A mild level of XP gained makes this mod even more appealing :cheers:

Sound: Great. I couldn't hear wether the Elder was saying Jaheira, but very fitting sounds.

Thanks and cheers

Edited by Shaitan, 24 September 2009 - 04:18 AM.

#20 Lava Del'Vortel

Lava Del'Vortel

Fiction Enforcer

• Modder
  • 2298 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 03:20 AM

I am glad you like the mod :) Thx, for your opinion, Shaitan :)