• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#61 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:32 AM

It could happen sometimes if a party member was confused and attacked an elf or an area effect spell was cast harming the elves. This most likely happens in the little area where they are fighting and is vanilla behavior.

See if this global is set to 2: Global("GoodElfKill","GLOBAL",2) and set it to 0.

I suspected it was a residual effect of recent battles, but it appeared that no spell effects were in "effect" besides Protection from Evil. I rested the party just prior to entering the surface, to see if that would help, and the same result (MC death) occurred. I'll see about setting the global variable.

Thanks!
Eric

Working and playing on a Mac Pro 6,1 running Mac OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra, and a Mac Pro 3,1 running Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.

~Buion na 'ell! I serve with joy! Your eyes and ears I shall be. Let us hunt together!~
- Erysseril Gwaethorien: a joinable, romanceable NPC mod for BGII - SoA/ToB, in sporadic development.

A female elf warrior of nature and a Bhaalspawn cross paths during their quests, joining forces to share adventure and companionship. Will they find more?

#62 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:48 PM

but it appeared that no spell effects were in "effect" besides Protection from Evil.

Erhm, that could be considered a hostile action on the part of the Elves... it has happened before to others, I believe... I don't have a thread to support this but I have a tingleling that might be it.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 16 April 2010 - 12:49 PM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#63 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 16 April 2010 - 05:27 PM

but it appeared that no spell effects were in "effect" besides Protection from Evil.

Erhm, that could be considered a hostile action on the part of the Elves... it has happened before to others, I believe... I don't have a thread to support this but I have a tingleling that might be it.

Maybe any spell at all that's in effect would cause this behavior. It's well worth noting (and isn't mentioned in any walkthroughs, to my knowledge).

I set the global variable "GoodElfKill" to 0, and was able to walk away unharmed at the end of the exchange with Elhan :) Made it back to Athkatla, but didn't find Celence in the Promenade. I'll have to CLUA her in (SELENC17) and see if she'll receive Sir William's gold, and then we can proceed.

Thanks,
Eric

Working and playing on a Mac Pro 6,1 running Mac OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra, and a Mac Pro 3,1 running Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.

~Buion na 'ell! I serve with joy! Your eyes and ears I shall be. Let us hunt together!~
- Erysseril Gwaethorien: a joinable, romanceable NPC mod for BGII - SoA/ToB, in sporadic development.

A female elf warrior of nature and a Bhaalspawn cross paths during their quests, joining forces to share adventure and companionship. Will they find more?

#64 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 16 April 2010 - 06:47 PM

Now Selence has given my party a job that involves the Adventurer's Mart. She describes a lion statue's head that must be manipulated in order to access an underground area. When my party arrives at either pair of lions at the south part of the Promenade structure, there is nothing on any of them to manipulate. I need to know how to remedy this, if possible, to continue.

Edit: Exiting and then re-entering the Waukeen's Promenade area map caused the screen to fade to black, then reappear, locating the party near the bottom left corner of the map, as I've seen it do in other map areas. I suspect what is happening is that the modified area map is superimposing itself, or otherwise replacing the original. I can't account for the relocating of the party, but it's not game-breaking yet. [End edit]

Oh, on perhaps a positive note, when my MC opened the safe in Sir William's estate, the strange-looking graphic changed to the normal-looking corner of the room, and I was able to "open" the picture on the wall to get what we needed for Selence. Sometimes, things go right ;)

Thanks,
Eric

Edited by Eric P., 16 April 2010 - 08:02 PM.

#65 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 16 April 2010 - 08:43 PM

Real problem here: Party is at south portion of Waukeen's Promenade area. I found the entrance to underground (showing as stairs down), but I get a CTD right after the "Loading Area" screen appears. No progress bars starting or anything, just the instant crash :( I tried it twice in a row, with the same result; I'm fairly confident that it isn't a random OS X BGII crash. No clue how to fix. Please help?

Thanks,
Eric

#66 erebusant

erebusant

It takes a village...

• Modder
  • 2109 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:46 PM

Real problem here: Party is at south portion of Waukeen's Promenade area. I found the entrance to underground (showing as stairs down), but I get a CTD right after the "Loading Area" screen appears. No progress bars starting or anything, just the instant crash Posted Image I tried it twice in a row, with the same result; I'm fairly confident that it isn't a random OS X BGII crash. No clue how to fix. Please help?

Thanks,
Eric

Verify the area you are attempting to travel to then verify you have arXXXX.are, arXXXX.mos, arXXXXlm.bmp, arXXXXht.bmp, arXXXXSR.bmp and arXXXX.tis files in your game. If they are all there, you may have an issue with them not extracting properly from the bif they are in, so either save or export (dependent on file type) to your override directory. If you're still CTD, verify the entrance of the area you are pointed to by the travel region exists.

It takes a village...

#67 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 17 April 2010 - 01:09 PM

Real problem here: Party is at south portion of Waukeen's Promenade area. I found the entrance to underground (showing as stairs down), but I get a CTD right after the "Loading Area" screen appears. No progress bars starting or anything, just the instant crash Posted Image I tried it twice in a row, with the same result; I'm fairly confident that it isn't a random OS X BGII crash. No clue how to fix. Please help?

Thanks,
Eric

Verify the area you are attempting to travel to then verify you have arXXXX.are, arXXXX.mos, arXXXXlm.bmp, arXXXXht.bmp, arXXXXSR.bmp and arXXXX.tis files in your game. If they are all there, you may have an issue with them not extracting properly from the bif they are in, so either save or export (dependent on file type) to your override directory. If you're still CTD, verify the entrance of the area you are pointed to by the travel region exists.

Once I learn the name of the area in question, I'll check for the associated files, as advised, and manually move any needed files into the override.

So...to where does the staircase at the lion statue lead, so I can look for the area file?

Thanks,
Eric

#68 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 03:37 PM

AR4201 and now we see the very first crash at the very first SoS original area so this should be interesting. Try to CLUA to the area first.
?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

Posted Image The Definitive Guide to Trolls

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#69 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 17 April 2010 - 05:36 PM

Just now tried getting to AR4201 via the CLUAConsole. Same exact result (CTD after displaying area-loading screen before any progress bars could start). What does this indicate, and what can I do to get the game to use the area?

Thanks,
Eric

#70 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 06:11 PM

Just now tried getting to AR4201 via the CLUAConsole. Same exact result (CTD after displaying area-loading screen before any progress bars could start). What does this indicate, and what can I do to get the game to use the area?

Thanks,
Eric

Where are the area files located; ARE, MOS, BMP, TIS and WED in relation to this AR4201 and all other subsequent areas pertaining tot he SOS mod? I hope they are not still just located in some pretty little folder called SOS-ARE or something because we already went through this.

http://www.shsforums...post__p__483441

And you said

http://www.shsforums...post__p__483442

Does the override contain these extensions for every one of the SOubar areas; ARE, MOS, BMP, TIS and WED? AR4201 with all the extensions is a good start.

Edited by Hoppy, 17 April 2010 - 06:46 PM.

?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#71 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 17 April 2010 - 07:38 PM

Thanks,
Eric

Where are the area files located; ARE, MOS, BMP, TIS and WED in relation to this AR4201 and all other subsequent areas pertaining tot he SOS mod? I hope they are not still just located in some pretty little folder called SOS-ARE or something because we already went through this.

And you said

Does the override contain these extensions for every one of the SOubar areas; ARE, MOS, BMP, TIS and WED? AR4201 with all the extensions is a good start.

AR4201's .are, .bcs., .mos, and .wed files are in the override folder. In the portraits folder, I find AR4201HT.bmp, AR4201LM.bmp, AR4201SR.bmp, and other areas with similar names. I don't see any .tis files anywhere (not in override, portraits, data, or cache/data folders).

No, the SOS-ARE, -BCS, and -MOS folders are all empty. AR2401.ARE is the only AR2401 file in the override.

What's our next step?

Thanks,
Eric

#72 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 10:03 PM

Thanks,
Eric

And you said

AR4201's .are, .bcs., .mos, and .wed files are in the override folder. In the portraits folder, I find AR4201HT.bmp, AR4201LM.bmp, AR4201SR.bmp, and other areas with similar names. I don't see any .tis files anywhere (not in override, portraits, data, or cache/data folders).

No, the SOS-ARE, -BCS, and -MOS folders are all empty. AR2401.ARE is the only AR2401 file in the override.

What's our next step?

Thanks,
Eric

Every file extension related to that area needs to be in the override folder. The batch file that didn't run(in this case we know) BIFFs those files and folders into the DATA folder. In this case none of that happened and I think the BMP should have gone in the SOS-MOS folder but who knows.

Anyway, everything for the area has to be in the override: 3 BMP, 1 MOS, 1WED, 1 ARE, and 1 TIS. The BCS is just the script and you said that is in the override but that doesn't make the area load, it's the other 7 files that do and they must all be in the override.

I don't see any .tis files anywhere (not in override, portraits, data, or cache/data folders).

This is probably because the tisunpack did not execute. You will never get any of these areas to work without the corresponding .TIS file. Double check and see if they are in SOS-TIS1 or something or the override even.

- King Diamond

#73 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:53 AM

Thanks,
Eric

And you said

What's our next step?

Thanks,
Eric

Every file extension related to that area needs to be in the override folder. The batch file that didn't run(in this case we know) BIFFs those files and folders into the DATA folder. In this case none of that happened and I think the BMP should have gone in the SOS-MOS folder but who knows.

Anyway, everything for the area has to be in the override: 3 BMP, 1 MOS, 1WED, 1 ARE, and 1 TIS. The BCS is just the script and you said that is in the override but that doesn't make the area load, it's the other 7 files that do and they must all be in the override.

I don't see any .tis files anywhere (not in override, portraits, data, or cache/data folders).

This is probably because the tisunpack did not execute. You will never get any of these areas to work without the corresponding .TIS file. Double check and see if they are in SOS-TIS1 or something or the override even.

I believe the .bmp files would be fine to stay in the portraits folder, because other mods work just fine with that placement, but I've moved these particular .bmp files into the override. There isn't a single .tis file in the override folder.

The SoS folder includes the files SOS-TISOGGBIFF.sh and SOS-UNINSTALL.sh, but Setup-SOS.tp2 calls upon their .bat equivalents. That's why these two files weren't invoked during install. I've since changed the .tp2 to call the .sh files (Mac OS X understands .sh, but not .bat). I'll see if I can invoke these files directly, from the command line in a Terminal session, but it may become necessary to reinstall the mod.

Thanks,
Eric

#74 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 18 April 2010 - 07:52 AM

Running SOS-TISOGGBIFF.sh from the Terminal resulted in a "permission denied" error! Very annoying. I'll probably have to reinstall the whole SoS mod, but will hold off on doing that in case there's any more advice I can follow.

Thanks,
Eric

#75 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 09:11 AM

Your TDD areas are probably going to be worthless as well without the TIS files for the areas. I would just try your approach with the .sh file in the TP2 with the game installed and BG2 fixpack only followed by Soubar or tDD or whatever you want to test it with. Once you overcome one massive obstacle, you can convert the other mods to do the same (batch to shell thing).

When you want to check to see if the shell command worked through the TP2, you can

1) Make sure those SOS-xxx folders are gone as they will be compiled to the data folder

2) CLUA to any token SOS area like AR4201 for example and see if the area loads. Try a few more and you can see the area prefixes in the SOS\ARE folder for the area names.

Not much more I can help you with as I don't have a Mac OS to even turn on.

Edited by Hoppy, 18 April 2010 - 09:12 AM.

- King Diamond

#76 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 18 April 2010 - 09:50 AM

Your TDD areas are probably going to be worthless as well without the TIS files for the areas. I would just try your approach with the .sh file in the TP2 with the game installed and BG2 fixpack only followed by Soubar or tDD or whatever you want to test it with. Once you overcome one massive obstacle, you can convert the other mods to do the same (batch to shell thing).

When you want to check to see if the shell command worked through the TP2, you can

1) Make sure those SOS-xxx folders are gone as they will be compiled to the data folder

2) CLUA to any token SOS area like AR4201 for example and see if the area loads. Try a few more and you can see the area prefixes in the SOS\ARE folder for the area names.

Not much more I can help you with as I don't have a Mac OS to even turn on.

I've been wondering how to determine if TDD is working as it should, but it's easier to focus on one mod at a time ;) I'll revisit the .tp2 of that mod, and fix up the .sh versus .bat issue (simple enough when both file types are included), then attempt reinstalls of both TDD and SoS. If I still have to manually add files to override, then I'll do so.

The folders that should be deleted from the game folder, but still exist, are probably there due to differences between DOS and UNIX commands regarding removal/deletion of things. UNIX uses "rm foo" to permanently delete something, where foo is the name of the file or folder you want to delete.

Thanks,
Eric

#77 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 11:16 AM

Easy to see if you have the same problem with TDD. CLUA to a token area like DD8000 and see if it loads. I predict it won't because of the same problem. Going through quests and dialogs is only one part of the "this mod works" process. Right now, I say they both don't work for the Mac.

- King Diamond

#78 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 18 April 2010 - 11:28 AM

Easy to see if you have the same problem with TDD. CLUA to a token area like DD8000 and see if it loads. I predict it won't because of the same problem. Going through quests and dialogs is only one part of the "this mod works" process. Right now, I say they both don't work for the Mac.

That's likely. I'll go ahead with the test you suggested.

I just reinstalled SoS, after fixing up some of the files according to instructions I found at G3 on porting mods to OS X ;) I didn't install the Remorhaz walking speed adjustment. At the end, I got a successful install, but then I saw this:

/bin/sh: line 1: SOS/SOS-TISOGGBIFF.sh: Permission denied

I don't think I'll ever understand why permission would be denied me, as the information on each file and folder shows that I have read and write permission. I know there's a fix for this, but I don't recall how to do it.

Thanks,
Eric

#79 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 18 April 2010 - 12:06 PM

That's likely. I'll go ahead with the test you suggested.

I just reinstalled SoS, after fixing up some of the files according to instructions I found at G3 on porting mods to OS X ;) I didn't install the Remorhaz walking speed adjustment. At the end, I got a successful install, but then I saw this:

/bin/sh: line 1: SOS/SOS-TISOGGBIFF.sh: Permission denied

I don't think I'll ever understand why permission would be denied me, as the information on each file and folder shows that I have read and write permission. I know there's a fix for this, but I don't recall how to do it.

Thanks,
Eric

I used CLUA to transport the party to area DD7000. It worked perfectly. Now I'll dig into the install files again for TDD, and compare with corresponding SoS install files. Perhaps I'll find where things are broken, and be able to fix & install SoS properly *fingers crossed*

Thanks,
Eric

#80 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 18 April 2010 - 07:04 PM

I tracked down the command to give me the correct permission with the file, ran it in the Terminal, then re-installed SoS. It unpacked the .tiz files to .tis files, biffed what needed to be biffed, and completed installation :) Now, before I get too excited, I'll fire up my test game and see if the party can descend the stairs at the lion's head...

Thanks,
Eric