• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#81 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 18 April 2010 - 07:13 PM

I tracked down the command to give me the correct permission with the file, ran it in the Terminal, then re-installed SoS. It unpacked the .tiz files to .tis files, biffed what needed to be biffed, and completed installation :) Now, before I get too excited, I'll fire up my test game and see if the party can descend the stairs at the lion's head...

Thanks,
Eric

Party now in AR4201. Playtesting resumes :)

Thanks,
Eric

Working and playing on a Mac Pro 6,1 running Mac OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra, and a Mac Pro 3,1 running Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.

~Buion na 'ell! I serve with joy! Your eyes and ears I shall be. Let us hunt together!~
- Erysseril Gwaethorien: a joinable, romanceable NPC mod for BGII - SoA/ToB, in sporadic development.

A female elf warrior of nature and a Bhaalspawn cross paths during their quests, joining forces to share adventure and companionship. Will they find more?

#82 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 08:03 PM

I tracked down the command to give me the correct permission with the file, ran it in the Terminal, then re-installed SoS. It unpacked the .tiz files to .tis files, biffed what needed to be biffed, and completed installation :) Now, before I get too excited, I'll fire up my test game and see if the party can descend the stairs at the lion's head...

Thanks,
Eric

Thanks,
Eric

Congratulations :new_thumbs:

I am not sure if I can do an OS check with WeiDU or if we should just repackage another new setup for Mac. The new package will make sense in case there are other Mac problems with the current installation like certain file formats or something. I think there were a few problems with Mac in the old bug reports we should take a look now that this major deal is over with.

EDIT: Can you put the code you used for the shell command in a codebox in a post? Just so that others can use as reference. I am assuming it wasn't the batch file just renamed but it could be that easy <_<

Edited by Hoppy, 18 April 2010 - 08:05 PM.

?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

Posted Image The Definitive Guide to Trolls

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#83 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 18 April 2010 - 09:09 PM

Thanks,
Eric

Thanks,
Eric

I am not sure if I can do an OS check with WeiDU or if we should just repackage another new setup for Mac. The new package will make sense in case there are other Mac problems with the current installation like certain file formats or something. I think there were a few problems with Mac in the old bug reports we should take a look now that this major deal is over with.

EDIT: Can you put the code you used for the shell command in a codebox in a post? Just so that others can use as reference. I am assuming it wasn't the batch file just renamed but it could be that easy <_<

We should be so lucky ;) Did a little manual editing of files using TextEdit, though I could just as easily have used TextWrangler, I'm sure.

Let me see if I can figure this out...oh, btw, the Master Werewolf appears to be unharmed by any of my party's weapons (and we have some very powerful gear!), so it'll be tough to beat without losing any party members!

Here's the command I typed in the Terminal prior to reinstalling the mod, to change permission on the file:

chmod +x /BGII\ -\ SoA/SoSv1.13.rar\ Folder/SOS/SOS-TISOGGBIFF.sh

Any references in install files to "oggdec.exe" I replaced with "sox" and I added a copy of sox (from the WeiDU folder) to the SOS folder, and references to "TISOGGBIFF.bat" I replaced with "TISOGGBIFF.sh" to Macify things :)

Thanks,
Eric

Edited by Eric P., 18 April 2010 - 09:11 PM.

Working and playing on a Mac Pro 6,1 running Mac OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra, and a Mac Pro 3,1 running Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.

~Buion na 'ell! I serve with joy! Your eyes and ears I shall be. Let us hunt together!~
- Erysseril Gwaethorien: a joinable, romanceable NPC mod for BGII - SoA/ToB, in sporadic development.

A female elf warrior of nature and a Bhaalspawn cross paths during their quests, joining forces to share adventure and companionship. Will they find more?

#84 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 10:31 PM

Thanks,
Eric

Thanks,
Eric

We should be so lucky ;) Did a little manual editing of files using TextEdit, though I could just as easily have used TextWrangler, I'm sure.

Let me see if I can figure this out...oh, btw, the Master Werewolf appears to be unharmed by any of my party's weapons (and we have some very powerful gear!), so it'll be tough to beat without losing any party members!

Here's the command I typed in the Terminal prior to reinstalling the mod, to change permission on the file:

Any references in install files to "oggdec.exe" I replaced with "sox" and I added a copy of sox (from the WeiDU folder) to the SOS folder, and references to "TISOGGBIFF.bat" I replaced with "TISOGGBIFF.sh" to Macify things :)

Thanks,
Eric

Way to go on the Macify. So TDD did not have the same problem? It is weird because it uses a batch file too, same as Soubar just a different name in the TDD folder.

The master WW is one hell of beast and I remember him always being tough even before the WEiDU SOS versions. It appears he is immune to Non-Cold iron weapons, and he is a hard son of a bitch to beat down.

Try using silver weapons as WW's are vulnerable to those. You can probably think of one from the vanilla game ;) . Try and cast anything to slow his regeneration. You can also try Shapeshift Mindflayer if that is available but it will be hard to get good INT draining hits. Other vanilla game items are good against regenerating creatures and include werewolves. Have good heavy hitters that can take damage and have a lot of potions. Slow spells from a mage and Greater Mals may work to reduce saves, dexterity and slow the regeneration.

I have always been fond of this little quest in Shadows Over Soubar. I like the items too. :P
?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#85 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 11:54 PM

oh, btw, the Master Werewolf appears to be unharmed by any of my party's weapons (and we have some very powerful gear!), so it'll be tough to beat without losing any party members!

I think he can only be hit by +5 weapons. Stay away from them! You don't need to fight to finish the quest.

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#86 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:42 AM

oh, btw, the Master Werewolf appears to be unharmed by any of my party's weapons (and we have some very powerful gear!), so it'll be tough to beat without losing any party members!

I think he can only be hit by +5 weapons. Stay away from them! You don't need to fight to finish the quest.

So noted. I still have to try to beat the monster, but if it looks hopeless, I can always run :)

Thanks!
Eric

#87 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:57 AM

Thanks,
Eric

Thanks,
Eric

Thanks,
Eric

Way to go on the Macify. So TDD did not have the same problem? It is weird because it uses a batch file too, same as Soubar just a different name in the TDD folder.

The master WW is one hell of beast and I remember him always being tough even before the WEiDU SOS versions. It appears he is immune to Non-Cold iron weapons, and he is a hard son of a bitch to beat down.

Try using silver weapons as WW's are vulnerable to those. You can probably think of one from the vanilla game ;) . Try and cast anything to slow his regeneration. You can also try Shapeshift Mindflayer if that is available but it will be hard to get good INT draining hits. Other vanilla game items are good against regenerating creatures and include werewolves. Have good heavy hitters that can take damage and have a lot of potions. Slow spells from a mage and Greater Mals may work to reduce saves, dexterity and slow the regeneration.

I have always been fond of this little quest in Shadows Over Soubar. I like the items too. :P

I will dig deeper in my installation (SoS installs after TDD), and reinstall TDD using the same techniques, then reinstall SoS as well, and begin a new test game. I'll be able to tell if everything installed properly by simply looking in the override folder, as none of the "TDD-" folders should be present (I noticed, after successful install of SoS, that none of the "SOS-" folders remained in the override). This leads me to wonder if there's a more streamlined approach to manipulating the files, but then I'm not very clued into such things ;)

Thanks,
Eric

#88 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:08 AM

Actually the weapons have to be a specially flagged for this purpose, different editors have different names for it, but the Near Infinity v1.33 beta 20 that I use, these flags are named as 'Silver' and 'Gold', others have them as 'Silver' and 'Cold-Iron'... and you can't see them without an editor. Nice.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 19 April 2010 - 06:09 AM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#89 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:42 AM

Thanks,
Eric

Thanks,
Eric

Thanks,
Eric

I will dig deeper in my installation (SoS installs after TDD), and reinstall TDD using the same techniques, then reinstall SoS as well, and begin a new test game. I'll be able to tell if everything installed properly by simply looking in the override folder, as none of the "TDD-" folders should be present (I noticed, after successful install of SoS, that none of the "SOS-" folders remained in the override). This leads me to wonder if there's a more streamlined approach to manipulating the files, but then I'm not very clued into such things ;)

Thanks,
Eric

Well, now TDD is messed up, and will not install :( The error message I get is:

Cannot append column-wise because there are 52 lines in MXSPLPAL.2DA but I was only given 45 things to append
Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [The Darkest Day, v1.12], rolling back to previous state
Will uninstall 1321 files for [SETUP-TDD.TP2] component 0.
Uninstalled 1321 files for [SETUP-TDD.TP2] component 0.
ERROR: Failure("cannot append column-wise to MXSPLPAL.2DA")
PLEASE email the file SETUP-TDD.DEBUG to Max and Minto, Horred The Plague (WeiDU), King Diamond (WeiDU revision)

How can I fix this? The installation attempt has added those "TDD-" folders to my override again, some of which are empty. Reinstalling SoS added only a few "SOS-" folders.

I'm surprised at this, since the mod installed without this error the first time.

Is there a TDD forum anywhere, that would be a better place to discuss the mod, or should I keep the conversation here?

Thanks,
Eric

#90 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 10:10 AM

Cannot append column-wise because there are 52 lines in MXSPLPAL.2DA but I was only given 45 things to append

PLEASE email the file SETUP-TDD.DEBUG to Max and Minto, Horred The Plague (WeiDU), King Diamond (WeiDU revision)

How can I fix this? The installation attempt has added those "TDD-" folders to my override again, some of which are empty. Reinstalling SoS added only a few "SOS-" folders.

I'm surprised at this, since the mod installed without this error the first time.

Is there a TDD forum anywhere, that would be a better place to discuss the mod, or should I keep the conversation here?

Thanks,
Eric

It sounds like something similar to the Region of Terror issue you had before but we never got to the fix. Can you roll back the installation of TDD with no modified batches or TP2 like you did before when it worked? Get that first and I will ask you about certain files because it may have installed with hidden errors or warnings. You are installing clean right?

That is fine to keep TDD stuff here as the forum I have is for gameplay bugs and such. Not to say installation or compatibility problems are not discussed there but I think it is easier to group this together on the fact that we are trying to do the same thing with SOS and TDD for the Mac. Later we can modify everything to fit the other mods like RoT or whatever.

This also goes back to what I was saying before about different file formats and patching that two different operating systems handle differently with WeiDU. Now I would look at other mods that have two OS versions. Amber may be a good example to try and follow as it has an installer for MAc and Windows at Gibberlings3.

This may shed some light on our problem or it may just highlight what we already found out.

- King Diamond

#91 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 19 April 2010 - 10:51 AM

Thanks,
Eric

It sounds like something similar to the Region of Terror issue you had before but we never got to the fix. Can you roll back the installation of TDD with no modified batches or TP2 like you did before when it worked? Get that first and I will ask you about certain files because it may have installed with hidden errors or warnings. You are installing clean right?

That is fine to keep TDD stuff here as the forum I have is for gameplay bugs and such. Not to say installation or compatibility problems are not discussed there but I think it is easier to group this together on the fact that we are trying to do the same thing with SOS and TDD for the Mac. Later we can modify everything to fit the other mods like RoT or whatever.

This also goes back to what I was saying before about different file formats and patching that two different operating systems handle differently with WeiDU. Now I would look at other mods that have two OS versions. Amber may be a good example to try and follow as it has an installer for MAc and Windows at Gibberlings3.

This may shed some light on our problem or it may just highlight what we already found out.

OK, I've extracted a fresh copy of TDD, so I'll run weidu-mac to install it, and report the results here. This first pass will be 100% unmodified.

As for a way for the installer to check which OS is running, there's some code for that, but I don't recall what it is. Might be useful for your purposes.

As for the Amber mod, my experience was that it installed and ran perfectly in one of my previous mega installs, but that was when I was installing all mods first, then running test games. Clearly not a sound approach ;)

Thanks,
Eric

#92 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:08 AM

TDD install failure, as expected. Here's the text from the Terminal ("command line") session:

Install Component [The Darkest Day, v1.12]?
[I]nstall, or [N]ot Install or [Q]uit? i

Installing [The Darkest Day, v1.12]

Registering GUI...
Creating 1 directory
Copying 1 file ...
ERROR: error loading [Setup-TDD.exe]

Will uninstall 0 files for [Setup-TDD.tp2] component 0.
Uninstalled 0 files for [Setup-TDD.tp2] component 0.
ERROR: Unix.Unix_error(20, "stat", "Setup-TDD.exe")
PLEASE email the file Setup-TDD.DEBUG to Max and Minto, Horred The Plague (WeiDU), King Diamond (WeiDU revision)

Can't get any farther here unless I edit the .tp2 to change references of Setup-TDD.exe. Why exactly is it referring to the .exe file? If I know precisely what the intended action is, I might be able to determine the correct way to do it on my Mac.

Thanks,
Eric

#93 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 12:02 PM

Is it trying to update to the latest version of WeiDU? Could that be the problem?

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#94 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 12:21 PM

For me, TDD fails at the GUI (beginning of installation) if TDD-RULE.BIF exists still in the data folder. It is something that remains from uninstalling I think. Although it could be something totally different but maybe delete the GUI folder if it exists. Absolute clean installation should be followed here and that means a vanilla data folder. However you got TDD to install supposedly the first time with your SOS tests is what I want to look at. No modified files of any sorts.

- King Diamond

#95 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 19 April 2010 - 04:56 PM

Is it trying to update to the latest version of WeiDU? Could that be the problem?

I doubt it. I update all mods to the latest version prior to installing them using the weidu utilities. Also, I don't see a message that would reflect an update. The installer simply needs to call a few things differently in order to recognize and use the content. I've found that replacing ".exe" with ".tp2" often solves this issue, just as I replace ".bat" with ".sh" to point to files that the OS will recognize.

- E

#96 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:09 PM

For me, TDD fails at the GUI (beginning of installation) if TDD-RULE.BIF exists still in the data folder. It is something that remains from uninstalling I think. Although it could be something totally different but maybe delete the GUI folder if it exists. Absolute clean installation should be followed here and that means a vanilla data folder. However you got TDD to install supposedly the first time with your SOS tests is what I want to look at. No modified files of any sorts.

If memory serves, I had to modify at least the .tp2 file in order to install it the first time. That appears to be the case, considering the result of my attempt to install it in pristine form. Prior to ever having installed TDD, I started from a cleanly restored SoA/ToB game with the latest patch (not installed from the discs, but critical files and folders replaced by copies from the prior disc download). I installed BG2 Fixpack first, then 1PP (all but potions), then Item Revisions. That's where my installation sits now, as I've uninstalled everything that was added after IR.

- E

#97 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:49 PM

This might be what my installer choked on (from the .tp2):

COPY + ~Setup-TDD.exe~ ~WeiDU.exe~

I'm not used to seeing this in .tp2 files. I'm tempted to comment it out, and try installing again. What is the intent here?

While I'm at it, am I to understand correctly that the best thing to do at this point is to reinstall everything from clean?

Thanks,
Eric

#98 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:53 PM

OK, if you have to modify the TP2 to get it to install then go ahead but document what you do as you go. Did you rename the Setup-TDD.exe by chance? If that doesn't exist anymore than that is the problem. WE might have to alter the commands in the TP2 for .exe to say .sox or whatever.

Edited by Hoppy, 19 April 2010 - 05:54 PM.

- King Diamond

#99 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:17 PM

OK, if you have to modify the TP2 to get it to install then go ahead but document what you do as you go. Did you rename the Setup-TDD.exe by chance? If that doesn't exist anymore than that is the problem. WE might have to alter the commands in the TP2 for .exe to say .sox or whatever.

I changed "Setup-TDD.exe" to "Setup-TDD" in the .tp2 file, as there's a Setup-TDD file in my game directory. Attempting to install results in the same kind of error I saw before:

ERROR Installing [The Darkest Day,  v1.12], rolling back to previous state
Will uninstall 1321 files for [Setup-TDD.tp2] component 0.
Uninstalled    1321 files for [Setup-TDD.tp2] component 0.
PLEASE email the file Setup-TDD.DEBUG to Max and Minto, Horred The Plague (WeiDU), King Diamond (WeiDU revision)

The good news is that the install got that far. By the point at which it failed, it had already installed quite a bit of stuff, and was copying and patching files and appending to files.

This issue involving MXSPLPAL.2DA is beyond my knowledge or ability. Please advise.

Thanks,
Eric

#100 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 21 April 2010 - 06:14 PM

After restoring critical game files and deleting weidu.log, I've installed 1PP (all but potions), Item Revisions (main component and Masterwork Weapons), and now TDD (including kits). I applied the latest BiG World Fixpack & Smoothpack edits to relevant mod files manually, and for some reason, I haven't been able to run TDD-TISBIFF.sh (got a permission denied error, fixed that, then the system couldn't see the directory that contains that file. So, I ran each line of that file at the command line level. The mod installed successfully, and running the lines from the file I mentioned resulted in all files being processed, including unpacking all the .TIZ files to .TIS files :)

After the installation, the following folders in the BGII game folder have files in them: TDD-CRE, -ITM, -SPL, and -TIS1 through -TIS4. My guess is that I should copy the files in these folders into the override. Is this correct?

Please let me know if there's anything else I should do before starting to test again.

Thanks,
Eric

Edited by Eric P., 21 April 2010 - 07:12 PM.