Photo

Known Issues v4.0 (post bug reports here)

• Please log in to reply
287 replies to this topic

#121 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:16 PM

Yeah, I believe TASHA05 is the banshee cackle (the global effect; all those are fine), but there's TASHA03 in the ability that runs on everybody who gets hit. This is kind of a sci-fi jingy thingy sound that accompanies the weird swirl visual (but would play even if the swirl was blocked by magic resistance).

#122 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:23 PM

Okay, that's fair enough. I'm also giving the non-global BAMs and sounds the ability to save versus the spell, same as we're doing for Blindness.

Qwinn

#123 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:08 PM

Okay, all of the spell fixes you suggested are in, save the last 3. If anything, there need to be *more* resistible high level spells, not less.

Oh, also, on SPWI202 (Black Barbed Curse), I went with making the sounds resistible rather than making the graphic not resistible. Everything else went in pretty much as you suggested.

On to RESDATA.INI.

EDIT: Oh yeah, on this:

- SpWi902.spl - are you sure BIS didn't want it Casting Time 0 since TO is the only one who gets it (it'd be the only spell "accidentally" set to 0)? I also let it bypass resistance (as it does by default) since it's his right-out-the-gate spell, where I normally wouldn't

Mmm, fair enough, the fight's too easy anyway, and I can see how that might've been intended. Removing that change.

EDIT: Er, wait. The vanilla descriptions say it's casting speed 9. Mmmm... I'll have to think about it then.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 19 January 2010 - 10:13 PM.

#124 -devSin-

-devSin-

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:23 PM

Okay, all of the spell fixes you suggested are in, save the last 3. If anything, there need to be *more* resistible high level spells, not less.

You mean irresistible, I take it (those changes make sure they're not the only three hostile spells in the game to bypass resistance)?

EDIT: Er, wait. The vanilla descriptions say it's casting speed 9. Mmmm... I'll have to think about it then.

Yeah, but the player wouldn't ever get to see it (they could do whatever they wanted, so the description doesn't have to be accurate). It's probably says 9 because that was the default for a ninth-level spell, not necessarily that they ever intended for its casting speed to be 9.

#125 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:00 PM

Yes, I meant irresistible, sorry. And yes, I wish there were more.

And yeah, I'm leaning toward reversing that Conflagration change and letting it be 0 speed anyway. It is plausible that was intended - with all the effort they put into the graphics, I can see them wanting it to be uninterruptable. This does lessen my enthusiasm toward making a tweak that allows NPC-only spells available to the player, though, heh.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 19 January 2010 - 11:01 PM.

#126 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:06 PM

Okay, on the RESDATA fixes, most of 'em were just clearing out the underbrush of invalid references, so no big deal, all done.

On the abishai fidget fix:

(0, 90, 91) Abishai+
- Abishai don't have their fidget sounds (should have 'sf1sound=abish10' & 'sf1frame=2')

When I added that to green abishai, he stopped fidgeting altogether. Adding just the sf1sound without the sf1frame entry, he resumed twitching and the sound worked. What's that sf1frame supposed to do?

Also, while I have no objection to adding this to green (Grosuk) and red (the two Tek'elach buddies I restored) abishai, the twitching sound is *not* welcome, at least by me, on the two black abishai in the Smoldering Corpse Bar. That's got some of the better game music (especially with now restoring the Alternate Theme there), and the twitching very much spoils it.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 19 January 2010 - 11:11 PM.

#127 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:59 PM

- Mebbeth.sto and Splinter.sto should offer SpPr307 cure (SpWi409 doesn't have a description; from SpelDesc.2da)Lame.

Mebbeth is already offering the priest version, far as I can tell. Doing the fix for Splinter.

Qwinn

#128 -devSin-

-devSin-

Posted 20 January 2010 - 06:07 AM

And yeah, I'm leaning toward reversing that Conflagration change and letting it be 0 speed anyway. It is plausible that was intended - with all the effort they put into the graphics, I can see them wanting it to be uninterruptable. This does lessen my enthusiasm toward making a tweak that allows NPC-only spells available to the player, though, heh.

Yeah, the only two I had that seemed like they should be restored were Howl of Pandemonium (or not; it's pretty lame) and Elysium's Fires (really cool).

When I added that to green abishai, he stopped fidgeting altogether. Adding just the sf1sound without the sf1frame entry, he resumed twitching and the sound worked. What's that sf1frame supposed to do?

Something may have gotten hit in the editing (I have this, and Grosuk seems to fidget just fine, for instance, but I guess I should check again sometime). The frame is simply when to play the sound (so rather than having it run immediately when the sequence plays, it waits till the second frame).

You can leave that one out since, as you note, it does add noticeable sounds to the abishai that are wandering around and standing about in the city (and it's not inconceivable they took it out on purpose).

Mebbeth is already offering the priest version, far as I can tell. Doing the fix for Splinter.

Ah, you know what it was, I was changing the version of the scroll she has available to the priest version since she normally keeps all her mage scrolls in reserve until you get her to train you (but would always give out this one). I just saw the SPPR307 write and assumed it was the cure without paying attention. Sorry for the mistake.

#129 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:37 AM

K, I went through EVERY dialogue looking for cases with this situation:

You see an old man. He is bored, and doesn't even notice you.

1. "Greetings."
2. Ignore him.

You select option 2 - Ignore him. Conversation ends.

Click on him again:

Jackowitz is clearly enraged at your speaking to him again. "What in the hells, boy?! Didn't I tell you to go three wards down and tell the first tiefling you see that 'the sky is full of gerbils?' Stop bothering me! GUARDS!"

You'd be surprised how many of these there are. I went through -every- dialogue that uses "NumTimesTalkedTo" to determine whether they had an "Ignore" option that -shouldn't- count as actually speaking to the creature. Total dialogues fixed: 90.

Found a number of other bugs doing the review as well:

Carver, Hezobol and a Lower Ward guard (DCARVER, DHEZOBOL, DSGUARD1) had their "NumTimesTalkedToGT(0)" trigger attached to the wrong state. Fixing this restores 3 lines of dialogue previously unseen. (nothing earthshaking though).

Random walking male and female Buried Villagers have extra dialogue that should be active
Spoiler

Bad transition in DMSLAVE2 dialogue, selecting "Never mind, farewell." continued the conversation in a nonsensical way.

In one Hive merchant dialogue, a state is getting skipped over the first time you talk to him for no good reason. (State 0, reply 1 would go to state 3 instead of state 2... on subsequent conversations, same question would go to state 2).

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 20 January 2010 - 08:58 PM.

#130 nevill

nevill
  • 87 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 01:23 PM

Speaking about previously unseen dialogues. In the Brothel you can speak with Nenny, and in STATE 13 of her dialogue there is a check if Grace is in the party. Problem is, you can't have Grace in your party before you've talked with all the prostitutes and that dialogue branch is only available on your first try.

Do you plan to restore things like that?

Edited by nevill, 20 January 2010 - 01:24 PM.

#131 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 05:47 PM

On a case by case basis, sometimes, when it appears that the line was intended to be in the game, when there's a logical and obvious way to hook it in, and when it adds something to the game, sure. In the Nenny case you just mentioned, no. The orphaned line you're referring to only has value if she -is- with you at that point... it's just an acknowledgment that she's there... and as you point out, she can't be with you.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 20 January 2010 - 05:49 PM.

#132 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:20 PM

Okay, this is rather weird, and unexpected:

Working on the bestiary pics issue, where the Lower Ward female market shoppers shouldn't be creating a bestiary pic for Curst Townie Females...

There are 8 female shoppers in the market. Four of them are set up as actors in the area file, and the other 4 are spawned by the INI file. All 8 CREs for them (MCFEM, MCFEM2, ..., MCFEM8) have the Curst Townie Female animation. BUT, if you look at the 4 actors set up in the area file, they have the normal Sigilian Townie LC female animation.

Here's what was unexpected to me: the CRE animation is overriding the area actor animation setup. The CRE says use Curst animation, the ARE says use Sigil animation, and they're actually coming out as Curst. I always thought the ARE actor settings would override the CRE.

The INI file has no way to spec a specific animation, so it's not surprising that the other 4 female shoppers are coming with the Curst animation from their CRE.

Honestly, my strong suspicion is that -none- of the female shoppers were meant to use the Curst Townie Female animation. The altered Actors strongly hints that they were all supposed to be normal Sigilian women. But I can't prove it, at least not for all of them. The fact that the actors in the ARE are set up as Sigilian women, though, is IMO good enough evidence that at least *they* were meant to look Sigilian. And variety in looks is a good thing. So I'm going to make the 4 shoppers in the actor file -actually- look like Sigilian women, and leave the rest looking like Curst chicks. None of them will create the bestiary pic prematurely, of course.

Qwinn

#133 nevill

nevill
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:43 PM

If the Harmonium go hostile, you can talk to Diligence to "reset" them. This can only be done once per game. This was only partially functional in the vanilla game, I make it work in a consistent manner.

Umm... didn't work for me. Unless it was your intention that you can 'reset' them only during the first 30 seconds after they are summoned, because after that 'BitCheck("0600_Status","AR0600",BIT10)' becomes false.

The orphaned line you're referring to only has value if she -is- with you at that point...

Well, it could be restored by not restricting that dialogue branch to your first conversation, which could be done with a simple variable check to see if it happened. Two of your conditions are met already. As for the third... there is little to gain, but then again, it is not a terrible lot of work either. :)

There are quite a few of unused lines in the game that could easily be restored. Another example would be Morte's line 'Oh, look! Another floating head!' when we speak to the creature running the warehouse. But I guess a no is a no. :)

Edited by nevill, 21 January 2010 - 01:59 PM.

#134 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:43 PM

Hmm, ok, the animation they had set up in the area file was the bad, weird version of the animation that comes up with really funky coloring (I *think* this was the problem with Sheryl's weird coloring in the Platter version of Candlestick Quest). Maybe that has something to do with why the CRE animation was overriding it.

Qwinn

#135 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:45 PM

Umm... didn't work for me. Unless it was your intention that you can 'reset' them only during the first 30 seconds after they are summoned, because after that 'BitCheck("0600_Status","AR0600",BIT10)' becomes false.

Bleah, I didn't know about that reset. I was trying to avoid creating a variable for it, but looks like I've got no choice. That'll be in v4.0. Thanks for the report!

Qwinn

#136 nevill

nevill
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 02:03 PM

I can be mistaken, but as far as I can see a simple 'GLOBALGT("MK_Counter", "GLOBAL", 0)' would suffice, no?

#137 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 02:09 PM

No, that's the way I did it in previous versions, but it didn't work well, because not all acts that summon the guard set that variable - they only set "Call_MK". Only killing a handful of Clerk's Ward citizens increments "MK_Counter". So that created the obnoxious situation where, say, you kill QuiSai for the Anarchists, that summons the guard, but Diligence won't respond, so you go over and kill a random Clerk's Ward citizen and THEN she'd help you.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 21 January 2010 - 02:11 PM.

#138 nevill

nevill
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 02:15 PM

so you go over and kill a random Clerk's Ward citizen and THEN she'd help you.

She won't talk to you if the variable is greater than 1000. How many scripts that set 'Call_MK' but do not increment 'MK_Counter' are there, anyway?

Oh, and killing any of the residents *should* set MK_Counter to 1000. It's practically a way of labeling you as a murderer.

Edited by nevill, 21 January 2010 - 02:17 PM.

#139 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 02:17 PM

How many scripts that set 'Call_MK' but do not increment 'MK_Counter' are there, anyway?

TONS. Just about everyone in the Festhall, for starters.

The scripting for the whole Harmonium guard thing is clearly incomplete. Looking at it, it's clear that if you'd killed only a -few- people - less than 5 - then instead of immediately attacking the guard would initiate dialogue with you. It was probably going to be "You're under arrest" or something like that. Only, there's no relevant dialogue available in the game.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 21 January 2010 - 02:19 PM.

#140 nevill

nevill
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 02:24 PM

The scripting for the whole Harmonium guard thing is clearly incomplete. Looking at it, it's clear that if you'd killed only a -few- people - less than 5 - then instead of immediately attacking the guard would initiate dialogue with you. It was probably going to be "You're under arrest" or something like that. Only, there's no relevant dialogue available in the game.

No. No-no-no. :) I've written about this before:

The 'crimes' you've committed in those areas were supposed to be divided into minor (offensive words, some variable increases by 1), something more serious (theft, don't remember the value though) or major (murder, variable is set to 1000), and the Guards were supposed to merely talk to you in case you haven't done something very wrong.

If you kill not 5, but even 1 person or attack a guard, the variable is set to 1000 and you are hunted down for the rest of your life. Which is why I suggest that killing any of the residents *should* set MK_Counter to 1000.

Low variable indicates that you verbally offended some residents of aroused their suspicion. I can come up with plenty of evidence. :)

It seems almost funny that you or your companions can be killed for just one abusive word. And highly illogical, which is why I proposed my own way of handling the situation.

Edited by nevill, 21 January 2010 - 02:26 PM.