Photo

Known Issues v4.0 (post bug reports here)

• Please log in to reply
287 replies to this topic

#101 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 05:59 AM

Some ghouls in Dead Nations have a *very* strange walking animation, they are almost crawling instead of walking.

Try enabling sprite mirroring in the in-game video options.

When I freed Morte from Lothar and went outside to pick him up, he joined my party without thanking me. He did have an interjection with Annah immediately upon joining, though, so maybe there was an interference of some sort.

I don't believe he initiates any thank you in the vanilla game (though there are a couple of unused states that hint it might've been planned at one point, at least if you tried to "bluff" Lothar that you didn't want him). If you talk to him and ask him about his abilities, he'll sorta kinda belatedly thank you as he tells you about the Skull Mob ability.

I wonder what the effects of a third star in proficiencies are. My THAC0 with an enchanted hammer +1 is 2 points lower than that of an an enchanted dagger +1. I can't figure where the extra +1 bonus is from.

A 3rd proficiency gives you a total of +3 to hit and +3 damage. I can't really help you till you tell me how many proficiencies you have in hammers and in edged. Oh, and be specific about the items, I don't think there is actually an "Enchanted Dagger". Do you mean bone dagger? Adahn's dagger?

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 19 January 2010 - 06:01 AM.

#102 nevill

nevill
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 07:09 AM

I don't believe he initiates any thank you in the vanilla game.

Oh, I thought he used to. I don't know if it was with just 1.1 patch or with a Platter's fixpack, though. If he didn't, I would have never guessed he had some lines to say. :)

Besides, I think he didn't use to join my party straight away and I had to actually talk to him. Ah, it was so long ago that I have probably confused something.

A 3rd proficiency gives you a total of +3 to hit and +3 damage. I can't really help you till you tell me how many proficiencies you have in hammers and in edged. Oh, and be specific about the items

My bad. I have 2 stars in edged and 3 in hammers. Both weapons are of the same +1 enchantment and provide an additional +1 THAC0 (yes, it was a bone dagger).

Lenny doesn't check if your DEX stat is less than 9 to train you as a thief. All other thieves refused to train me because of my low DEX. I actually ended up with negative stealth. His dialogue concerning the warehouse is also a bit ugly.

You can only tell the guards behind the gates of The Foundry that Glitspur (sp?) sent you at the beginning of the dialogue. You can't tell them that later unless you restart the dialogue, even though they ask what your business is in almost every STATE.

I did something wrong at the Foundry and everyone kept calling for guards, but no one went hostile, no alarm ensued and no guards came. Had nothing left to do, though, so I left the building myself. :) Is this a supposed behavior?

Edited by nevill, 19 January 2010 - 07:18 AM.

#103 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 07:19 AM

My bad. I have 2 stars in edged and 3 in hammers. Both weapons are of the same +1 enchantment.

The Enchantment stat doesn't affect THACO. Some creatures are immune to weapons below a certain Enchantment level, that's all that stat has to do with. Did both weapons have THACO +1 listed in their descriptions?

I did something wrong at the Foundry and everyone kept calling for guards, but no one went hostile, no alarm ensued and no guards came. Had nothing left to do, though, so I left. Is this a supposed behavior?

What did you do wrong? There are two levels of "Alarm" in the Foundry. One is just if you annoy some people in dialogue, and they won't talk to you again until you leave the Foundry and go back in. The more serious Alarm2, they will go hostile, and you need to leave for, I think, a week of game time, at which point the Alarm will go away. Unless you actually -killed- a Godsman in a non-secretive way (Bedai's quests are considered secret). Then you'll never be welcome back.

Oh, I thought he used to. I don't know if it was with just 1.1 patch or with a Platter's fixpack, though. If he didn't, I would have never guessed he had some lines to say. :) Besides, I think he didn't use to join my party straight away and I had to actually talk to him.

I don't recall Platter's Fixpack making any changes to this either. If someone can confirm that this behavior used to exist, please do, but I don't think there was any such automatic dialogue.

Lenny doesn't check if your DEX stat is less than 9 to train you as a thief. All other thieves refused to train me because of my low DEX. His dialogue is also a bit ugly.

Urf, I hope there's dialogue for that situation. It's a pretty big deal though. I'll add the check in one way or another, even if I have to borrow lines from other trainer dialogues or write some new based on them if I have to. Thanks for the report.

You can only tell the guards behind the gates of The Foundry that Glitspur (sp?) sent you at the beginning of the dialogue. You can't tell them that later unless you restart the dialogue, even though they ask what your business is in almost every STATE.

It's not something I find particularly bothersome, lots of dialogues do that, but I'll take a look.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 19 January 2010 - 07:21 AM.

#104 nevill

nevill
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 07:34 AM

The Enchantment stat doesn't affect THACO.

Ah, I keep forgetting this isn't BG2. I have updated my post while you were writing yours. But of course I made sure the weapons are of similar properties before asking this question. :)

One is just if you annoy some people in dialogue, and they won't talk to you again until you leave the Foundry and go back in.

That was it. Not much of an alarm though, if it can be fixed with a simple reentering. Perhaps a day should pass before they let you in again? :)

It's not something I find particularly bothersome, lots of dialogues do that, but I'll take a look.

He asked me what I came there for. If there is a question, there should be an answer. If there isn't, it is a bug for me. :)

P.S. Sabastian also doesn't have any requirements for INT to train you as a mage, but there is no dialogue and I don't know if mages even have the said requirements, so I didn't mention it.

Edited by nevill, 19 January 2010 - 07:38 AM.

#105 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 07:53 AM

On the THACO issue, well, okay, 2 stars in edged gives you +1 THACO and 3 stars in hammers gives you +3 THACO. All other things being equal (which they appear to be), your hammer THACO -should- be 2 better than your dagger THACO. Sounds like it's working fine to me. What were you expecting?

That was it. Not much of an alarm though, if it can be fixed with a simple reentering. Perhaps a day should pass before they let you in again?

The behavior implemented in the Fixpack was done at the specific request of Colin McComb, original designer of the Foundry.

Qwinn

#106 nevill

nevill
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:41 AM

What were you expecting?

I forgot what the effects of proficiencies beyond the first two stars are. No wonder with all those nerfing/rebalancing mods around. :)

Try enabling sprite mirroring in the in-game video options.

No, I didn't say it was *wrong*. But it was strange. I reloaded a save and it turns out it's the female ghouls. They are walking sideways at a *very* low speed. For some reason I don't think it's a hardware problem or a problem at all. I just wanted to confirm if I'm not the only one who is getting this.

Is it possible to increase Dak'kon morale to the highest possible value by deciding not to talk to Ki'ina over and over again? If so, you might want to add a variable check or just use

The zerth stares blackly at Dak'kon as he returns with you. She turns her back to you, as if daring Dak'kon to strike the target.

line for her next conversation. After all, you've decided not to speak with her.

In fact, I do not understand what prevents it from happening as it is written now (after your first conversation, 'NumTimesTalkedTo(0)' remains true if you decide not to speak with her, unlike other dialogues). Perhaps because you didn't get to actually say anything to her?

Do you plan to change Harmonium Guards' behavior in Wards? Because it is very annoying to run from their patrols if you didn't choose you words carefully while speaking with the denizens. The 'crimes' you've committed in those areas were supposed to be divided into minor (offensive words, some variable increases by 1), something more serious (theft, don't remember the value though) or major (murder, variable is set to 1000), and the Guards were supposed to merely talk to you in case you haven't done something very wrong. It would be a nice touch if they at least became neutral with passing of time, similar to Godsmen. Perhaps, UB material or a tweak?

Edited by nevill, 19 January 2010 - 12:33 PM.

#107 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 19 January 2010 - 01:45 PM

Ok, looks to me like the JESTER.ITM global effects -are- being rolled individually. I just tried unequipping and reequipping the axe repeatedly, and looking at the effects on INT and WIS.

Ah, stinkers, they made it work different. Stuff like this helps to keep people from modding PST. ;)

It's good as it is then, thanks for testing.

So, should I do those no-save and probability fixes? Without knowing more of what it's doing, I'm kinda loathe to touch it. I suspect those values have no effect at all, actually.

Based on the result, yeah, don't even think about the item or let it catch you looking at it. :)

Nah. The reason Annah and Grace won't part with their clothes (at least without switching it out for another) is evident, and I believe the fact that they do become droppable once you've switched it out is handled in the engine... Nordom has neither the character motivation nor the engine code that would justify handling in the same manner. Besides, the fun in their clothes being undroppable is -trying- to take them off and having them yell at you for it... Nordom has no similar voiced lines that would make it interesting.

You should be able to still pop it off at your leisure (the behavior for the vests and teeth is done in hardcode), but it just won't create a "Nordom's Ocular" if he dies with it. But it's fine as it is, sure.

This is pretty neat, but I'm gonna pass on it. Two reasons. 1) Dialogue with Barkis suggests that TNO is highly resistant if not immune to poison, and 2) it only does like 10 damage, which is kinda hard to square with how it insta-kills Mantuok.

But the other characters could also use it. But I agree that it won't jive well with the quest use and freaky chars like TNO and Morte and Ignus, etc.

#108 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 19 January 2010 - 01:53 PM

Locally, aside from the BladeIm, the cube, and the entropic blades, this flag is only needed for Maslow, MirImag, PCheese (once you fix it up), TTCutPur, and TTSource (and it shouldn't be set for all Ingress' teeth items).

Just to make sure since I had it buried in the wall of text pages back: the fixpack should already set the "Conversable" flag for the Entropic blades and the cube, and I believe it also gets the Blade of the Immortal, but it should also be set for Maslow.itm (Maslow's Pyramid), MirImag.itm (Mirror of Imaging), TTCutPur.itm and TTSource.itm (I believe these two are in v3 and v4 already).

All Ingress' Teeth items that have this set should have it removed (ICTeeth, IPTeeth, and M[123][CP]Teeth). You actually talk to the teeth (as written in the dialogue) and tell them what to become, not "Use" them.

#109 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 19 January 2010 - 02:57 PM

As noted above, I don't want to create confusion for players who would probably think it actually does something when equipped in a tattoo slot. Since its only use is in Quick-Slots, having that be the only place it can be equipped serves as a good clue as to how to use its power. And a clue is a good thing, considering how unique it is in this regard.

This looks to be the case for pretty much all the tattoos but the stat boosts. TTBB* TTBoneSi TTCubed TTCutPur TTDeathI and on and on... all these special tattoos can only be used from quick slots but are still able to be worn.

TTAnarch is actually the only one in the game which can't be put on.

#110 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 05:31 PM

It would be a nice touch if they at least became neutral with passing of time, similar to Godsmen. Perhaps, UB material or a tweak?

If the Harmonium go hostile, you can talk to Diligence to "reset" them. This can only be done once per game. This was only partially functional in the vanilla game, I make it work in a consistent manner.

Just to make sure since I had it buried in the wall of text pages back: the fixpack should already set the "Conversable" flag for the Entropic blades and the cube, and I believe it also gets the Blade of the Immortal, but it should also be set for Maslow.itm (Maslow's Pyramid), MirImag.itm (Mirror of Imaging), TTCutPur.itm and TTSource.itm (I believe these two are in v3 and v4 already).

All Ingress' Teeth items that have this set should have it removed (ICTeeth, IPTeeth, and M[123][CP]Teeth). You actually talk to the teeth (as written in the dialogue) and tell them what to become, not "Use" them.

Glad you reposted, I did indeed miss this on the first pass (though I'm gonna go through the thread top to bottom once I think I got it all). I will review all of these items, I suspect I will agree with all your suggestions on them.

- SpPr103.spl - Play sound effect shouldn't bypass resistance (even resisting all the effects, you get the "Oh noes, you been cursed!" sound)

Considering this is an AOE spell, shouldn't the sound play anyway? It is targeted, but even if the specific target resists, it could hit nearby targets. Does the sound play repeatedly for each target affected, even ones not directly targeted? If so, then yes, I should let the sound be resisted, but if not...

Qwinn

#111 -devSin-

-devSin-

Posted 19 January 2010 - 05:43 PM

Holy crap, yeah, the unequipped weapons thing is a HUGE bug. I just tested it out on Agril'shanak (demon in Carceri). Before the fix, he was doing 6-8 damage, after the fix, more like 12-26 (his weapon is 2d10 damage). He was a complete pushover before. And yeah, even if Trias never uses his sword (he doesn't for quite a while, he casts a lot of spells first), he'd still get 10% slashing resistance and +2 AC just for having it equipped. Wow. S'a big deal. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Note that most of these guys also have improper Effective AC (the base AC value was updated, but effective AC is left at 10); this probably leads to them being too easy to smack.

I think they also reversed all the weapon type AC bonuses. I've been kicking it around for a while trying to decide what they were attempting; I think they wanted to mimic armor types (which grant a base AC and additional modifiers based on weapon type) with the different animations even though there are no armor items in the game. So for instance, some of the Harmonium guys will have a base AC but then 4 missile and slashing and 3 piercing modifiers (should have been 3 missile, but whatever, close enough). The problem is that these should actually translate to penalties in the game (the AC mod effect takes positive values to give a bonus, but the stats here are straight modifiers, so negative amounts lower, i.e., improve, armor class and positive amounts raise, i.e., worsen, armor class). (You can see Morte got update at some point to -2 for missile, piercing, and slashing, which gives him better AC against those attack types in the game, but MorteEG and MorteF still have positive values.)

The problem for me is that I'm not sure what armor type some of the peasants are intended to be wearing (mostly the Curst men) and if there are cases where they really wanted a penalty (and got it right), and then just making positive it actually works that way in the game.

If confirmed, this would notably give Ignus better AC against all damage types and Vhailor against piercing and missile attacks (not that anything uses those damage types by that point in the game).

Thoughts?

#112 -devSin-

-devSin-

Posted 19 January 2010 - 05:53 PM

Considering this is an AOE spell, shouldn't the sound play anyway? It is targeted, but even if the specific target resists, it could hit nearby targets. Does the sound play repeatedly for each target affected, even ones not directly targeted? If so, then yes, I should let the sound be resisted, but if not...

Yeah, the effects are applied to each target hit by the projectile (the game will shoot at applicable targets within the AoE, and all those effects apply individually to each one).

#113 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 06:07 PM

Hmmm...

- SpWi115.spl - the Play Sound effect for all levels shouldn't bypass resistance, and the Play BAM and Play Sound effects should probably allow the same save as the actual blindness

I tested this spell (Blindness) extensively. The saves appear to be rolled for individually. So you could save against the blindness but not against the graphic, and presumably (this part is hard to tell) vice versa. I am definitely sometimes getting more than one "Save: Resist Spell" (sp?) message for a single cast.

That knocks out the rationale for some of the spells on the spell list you gave me. Most of the ones where you say "should bypass resistance" are still valid, but most of those where you say it shouldn't don't look viable.

Qwinn

#114 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 19 January 2010 - 06:23 PM

What changes are you making? It sounds like maybe you left them irresistible but added the saves (so even if you fail a save, you can still resist some of the effects). (I wasn't able to get similar behavior just now with Vilquar's; who are you casting at?)

#115 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 06:30 PM

I wanted to use a near-end game save where I had most of the spells. I looked for an area I never entered (so the character would be loaded fresh), and settled on the Brothel basement, testing on B_CRTKR for my testing. For the testing in question, he had 0% MR (though I did test earlier with giving him 50% MR).

The change I made is setting every effect's save field (0x24 from the beginning of the effect record) to 1 (so, Spell(0))

OH! I should mention. B_CRTKR has a lousy 18 save versus spells, and on my first 5 or 6 casts on him he always failed to save. For my testing, I improved his save to 10. That allowed me to see the sort of split-results I saw above.

I think the real giveaway is that sometimes I wouldn't get any floating text, sometimes I'd get a single Save message, and sometimes two, for a single cast. Sometimes I'd get a save message and still get the graphic and sound.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 19 January 2010 - 06:35 PM.

#116 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 19 January 2010 - 06:44 PM

I'm unable to confirm this behavior with vanilla and patched SPWI115 (he either saves, and you get Made Save: Resist Magic or Made Save: Resist Spell). Did you add a saving throw to the global effect (the screen tint), perhaps (that will get its own save since it happens at a different time)?

With a vanilla Blindness, try the following patch and see if he still makes weird saves?
COPY_EXISTING SPWI115.SPL OVERRIDE
FOR (READ_LONG 0x6A eo; eo < 0x120A; eo += 0x90) BEGIN
	WRITE_BYTE eo + 0x9D 0x1
	WRITE_LONG eo + 0x54 0x1
	WRITE_LONG eo + 0xB4 0x1
END

#117 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 06:47 PM

I probably did add a save to the screen tint, yes. That may explain my results. I'll try out your test in a moment, give me a few.

Qwinn

#118 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 19 January 2010 - 06:59 PM

Yeah, global effects in spells are handled strangely (they fire on cast IIRC, not on impact), so they happen independent of the ability effects.

#119 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 07:22 PM

Okay, yeah. Removing the change to the tint screen effect, I got the hoped-for results. Good to know about that difference, and continuing to implement and test.

I've done most of the "should bypass" fixes so far, working on the "shouldn't bypass" now.

Qwinn

#120 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:04 PM

Considering the global effects issue:

- SpWi308.spl - the obnoxious laughter Play Sound shouldn't bypass resistance (I couldn't figure out all the effects to this spell, so screw the saves for now)

...is problematic, since that laughter is a global effect.

I suppose I could try moving it from the global effect to the ability effect list. Tricky though.

EDIT: Wait. This spell is different from the normal Tasha's Uncontrollable Hideous Laughter. We normally think of that spell as forcing the target to laugh. But this spell is different. See the description:

What man does not feel their body fill with burning shame when mocked by a woman? Fill the ears of your enemies with the derisive scorn of a woman's laughter. Their bodies shall become clumsy and foolish, easily struck, and confidence shall be leeched from their muscles, weakening their blows.

And like the Curse spell I mentioned before, it's an AOE spell. The laughter should go off regardless, even if individuals within the AOE can resist its effects.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 19 January 2010 - 08:07 PM.