Darkspawn Chronicles DLC

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 10:38 AM

Kulyok, you'll be happy to hear I figured out the problem with Jowan's Intentions (took me a while!), and it'll be fixed in my next release :) If you don't want to install my mod, the fix is this: pull up lite_chant_rand_jowan.plo and change the "Entry Type" field from "Plot" to "Chanters", export it, then export and recompile the scripts that reference it (only two that matter, you can see "Refenced by" in the Properties tab).

As for the new DLC... how odd. Not really my thing. I've never really enjoyed playing evil. And yeah, it looks like maybe they did rip off Emissary. Sadly for the modder, the EULA on the toolset basically says "Anything produced with this toolset belongs to us" (and yeah, that includes my mod too, I knew that going in), so, yeah.

Qwinn

#22 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 10:52 AM

Kulyok, you'll be happy to hear I figured out the problem with Jowan's Intentions (took me a while!), and it'll be fixed in my next release :) If you don't want to install my mod, the fix is this: pull up lite_chant_rand_jowan.plo and change the "Entry Type" field from "Plot" to "Chanters", export it, then export and recompile the scripts that reference it (only two that matter, you can see "Refenced by" in the Properties tab).

As for the new DLC... how odd. Not really my thing. I've never really enjoyed playing evil. And yeah, it looks like maybe they did rip off Emissary. Sadly for the modder, the EULA on the toolset basically says "Anything produced with this toolset belongs to us" (and yeah, that includes my mod too, I knew that going in), so, yeah.

Qwinn

The EULA is pretty much a given... NWN, TES series all have it, but what bothers me is that BioWare is seemingly going to pass this off as their own idea. Do they seriously think that we can't see the connection, especially after Chris Priestly didn't mention what they wanted the fan module recommendations for? Not that it's illegal, but this isn't what I expected from BioWare...

Personally I'll skip the DLC, because like you, I'm not big on playing evil characters. Apart from playing Isengard in the Battle for Middle-earth, I don't think I've ever completed a game playing the bad guys.

#23 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 10:56 AM

Thank you for the instructions! I'll definitely try this or the mod in the next game.

As I recall, "all your mods belong to us" still won't work as well for them: yes, modders can't sell or profit from their work, and, yes, gaming company can close mods anytime, but *they* cannot profit from modders's work, because it(modders's writing or voice clips, for example) is protected by copyright, too.

#24 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 11:00 AM

True, but if all they need is an idea and to see how it's done... they could easily rebuild the mod in a different way, utilizing that loophole to profit from it.

#25 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 03:56 PM

Trailer:
Flash HD (43MB) / Flash SD (13MB)

#26 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 09:28 PM

Here's an YouTube version: - the flash one didn't work for my computer, alas.

True, but if all they need is an idea and to see how it's done... they could easily rebuild the mod in a different way, utilizing that loophole to profit from it.

As far as I am aware, ideas cost nothing. I mean, just look at Harry Potter(Discworld, vampires, anything goes). Is it terribly original? No, every year we hear of new lawsuits and stolen ideas. Is it normal? Well, lawsuits aren't(don't people have better thing to do with their money?), but stealing ideas from other writers? Hey, that's what we do for a living! Some writers are aware of it, some are doing it subconsciously, but it's not possible to do a completely new story anyway - at worst, it's impossible, and at best, no one will read it, because people's minds are attuned to "normal" literature - which consists of already known and working formulas.

#27 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 09:55 PM

Yeah, well, it's like I said earlier:

Not that it's illegal, but this isn't what I expected from BioWare...

They do it for other stuff obviously, clichés will be clichés in all RPGs, but such a blatant rip-off from a modder, especially after they asked to see fan mods... these things tick me off. I don't give a jack about disputes between companies though, I'm just rooting for the small guy.

#28 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:19 PM

A shared sentiment to be sure. :) And figures they did indeed use the Sarveok genlock dude for the PC, but this brings up yet another issue. Weren't females that have been tainted and eventually succumbed reverted to things like the broodmother?
We've heard diddly squat to suggest this normal transformation is even possible for both angles, sure they could argue we know bugger all about the Darkspawn in general, but hey, working off the current codex people.

In that view, I'm starting to get the idea they've already decided which gender is supposed to be canon, alas, something Bioware did usually do a good job of avoiding. But then they used to also not sell their own souls for the profit of DLC consumerism, so heck, anything goes.

And yeah, the plot still seems to be a major failget from the outset at the moment. It'd make sense for it to be someone OTHER than the Warden, I mean hell, there's what six PC characters with five that disappear off the face of Thedis after you choose the one you want, and this is avoiding the already established quirk that the other wardens would burn your corpse.

So here's and idea: why not just kill them off, and start with a fresher road-kill looking mug? It'd certainly do well in avoiding character conflict, or setting the gender canon work even, of whichever origin character failed of course.. ;)

Edit: Forgot a sentence. :doh:

Edited by Solar's Harper, 07 May 2010 - 10:22 PM.

Classic Adventures - a Total Conversion compilation dedicated to bringing many of the old and new PnP modules into the wonderfully dangerous world that is Baldur's Gate II.   Fancy link button to Downloads page.

CA Forum.  Bugs to be squashed, feedback to be welcomed!

Website at: http://classicadventuresmod.com/
~***~***~***~

When in doubt, lockpick a mudcrab!

Beware the nug conspiracy!

#29 DeusEx

DeusEx

Disappearing Member

• 757 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 12:02 AM

I think its safe to say I won't bother playing this for a VERY long time if ever. RtO was boring, Awakening was to short and I'm not such a big fan of DAO to play everything they spit out.

#30 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 12:39 AM

In that view, I'm starting to get the idea they've already decided which gender is supposed to be canon, alas, something Bioware did usually do a good job of avoiding. But then they used to also not sell their own souls for the profit of DLC consumerism, so heck, anything goes.

And yeah, the plot still seems to be a major failget from the outset at the moment. It'd make sense for it to be someone OTHER than the Warden, I mean hell, there's what six PC characters with five that disappear off the face of Thedis after you choose the one you want, and this is avoiding the already established quirk that the other wardens would burn your corpse.

From what I see, this DLC has nothing to do with the Warden. I mean, the Warden who died could be an elven female mage or a dwarven casteless male rogue, it doesn't matter. What matters is that they died. It doesn't matter what happened to their corpse, because the Warden doesn't figure in this DLC at all - some nameless Hurlock does.

In other words, the protagonist of this DLC is a male former human darkspawn(no female protagonists for this DLC), but he has nothing to do with the Warden: it's not a dead Warden, or a Tainted Warden, it's just some cool darkspawn that's going to kill Alistair and Morrigan and others.

#31 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 04:07 AM

From what I see, this DLC has nothing to do with the Warden. I mean, the Warden who died could be an elven female mage or a dwarven casteless male rogue, it doesn't matter. What matters is that they died. It doesn't matter what happened to their corpse, because the Warden doesn't figure in this DLC at all - some nameless Hurlock does.

I don't know, that trailer and the other tidbits certainly did much to try and point out the whole "you fail instead, have a roadkill face" for whoever the PC is supposed to be - no doubt to allow carry-over characters.
Then again we could say most trailers are full of it, save the ones which give away pretty much everything of note (ie: look at how Loghain & lackeys are portrayed for example, didn't need to see much of the game for that plot point!).

Still with the string of terrible EA affiliate releases within the last few months, and also the record of pay-for-DLCs in general existence, I wouldn't put this past being indeed that terrible plot instead of something new, which as you highlight, Kulyok, may still yet be possible.

Worth hoping for anyway. :)

Edit: More corrections @ self.

Edited by Solar's Harper, 10 May 2010 - 04:13 AM.

Classic Adventures - a Total Conversion compilation dedicated to bringing many of the old and new PnP modules into the wonderfully dangerous world that is Baldur's Gate II.   Fancy link button to Downloads page.

CA Forum.  Bugs to be squashed, feedback to be welcomed!

Website at: http://classicadventuresmod.com/
~***~***~***~

When in doubt, lockpick a mudcrab!

Beware the nug conspiracy!

#32 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:48 PM

News:
Darkspawn Chronicles Interview @ GameSpot
Darkspawn Chronicles Preview @ GameSpot

#33 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

TFP : D

• 2925 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 01:46 PM

Yeah, it looks silly... But then, I never was one for alternate universe approaches to anything... Of course, this does seem better than the general AU crap that breeds in fandoms; at least there's no non-canon shipping in it! Wait. Oh. God. I hope not...

But anyway. AU. Get it away from me. o_o

#34 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 02:24 PM

Well, it's out now. If anyone is getting it, tell us how it is.

#35 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:52 AM

It's pretty bad, yeah. I made it to the Market District, but then I got bored.

The DLC's biggest problem is the protagonist. You can't customize him: it's a fighter level 12 with ALL his skillpoints in the wrong places, like Threaten and Disengage. A few sword-and-shield skills, and that's all. More than that, you never even gain XP. I got one extra ability after I completed a quest, but that was it.

So, the DLC is about following archdemon's commands. Basically, you do one simple quest after another. Recruited a thrall? Good, now kill some soldiers. Now destroy barricades. Now kill the boss. Did it? Okay, proceed to he next area.

One sweet moment was killing Cauthrien again, but that's it. No dialogue - only unvoiced subtitles from the archdemon. Very sparse new codex entries - two or three lines per character. Interesting moment about Goldanna: codex sasys "Alistair thought she was his half-sister". So the game implies she was _not_ his half sister(probably implying Alistair's a half-breed and a son of an elven warden from one of the books). One cutscene per area, but nothing interesting. Killed Wynne, Bann Teagan, Goldanna, Cullen, Oghren, Arl Howe, Gorim, some other less important people. In other words, borrrrrring.

#36 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:17 AM

Sounds very dull. I guess BioWare is taking the easy route now, at least when it comes to DLC, or as Miloch so eloquently put it, downloadable crap.

#37 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

TFP : D

• 2925 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 11:45 AM

It is kinda backwards how a company that's famous for making consistently good games is doing such an terrible job at keeping up the quality with the DLC...
It's like building a fine house and then decorating it with poop and urine.

But I guess it's just business. Milking the cow as long as there's anything left to have. *sigh* >_<

#38 Darziak

Darziak

Neutral

• 681 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:34 PM

Well in short I see this DL for anyone who's bloodthirsty for alot of action and no talking.

The endgame fight was nice from the darkspawn perspective and which followers Alistair had with him in the fight.

My ranking on the darkspawn you control.

1st - Shriek: My favourite to use once available, the attack and speed is great.
2nd - Hurlock Emissary: I didn't think I'd use a mage type that much but it came in very handy for healing and freezing during the fights
3rd - Vanguard: Just a typical warrior champion setup who I rarely used once I got a shriek and emmissary
4th - Ogre: The grab move is most useful on boss types and the throwing a rock move is the worst especially on the time it takes to throw the dam thing e.g. enemies that are far away usually get right next to you by the time the ogre throws the thing and you end up hurting allies.
Genlock: Eh just another warrior which I didn't need (well the first one I recruited anyway)

Overall I felt this was below average. 4/10

Posted Image

Edit: The sword you get

Edited by Darziak, 20 May 2010 - 03:54 AM.

#39 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:09 AM

Sounds like they're just in this for the money now, I can't see any other reason for producing stuff like this and the Equalizer.

#40 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:54 AM

I think the reason that stuff like this gets produced is because it doesn't need any new voice acting. I suspect that's become the biggest pain in the ass (and probably the most expensive part) of their production scheme.