A couple of technical problems

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 -Kirara-

-Kirara-

Posted 27 February 2011 - 05:33 AM

Hi, Yovaneth

I played FFT a week ago and I encountered some shortcomings.

First of all - annoying internal areas search maps. On every table, chair etc. is put solid obstacle. Because of that you cannot see what is behind them. Should everyone hide under tables? I do not think so. You should use light obstacle.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Next. But this time a small thing. In YS0250 there is bad cursor icon placed on the door.

Now on the contrary huge bad matter. The guardian of the Tiger's Eye drops items he really should not: PLAT16 [Armor of the Heart], SW2H08 [Soul Reaver +4] and BELT08 [Girdle of Frost Giant Strength]. They are too powerful and unique to be duplicated.
Posted Image

About the lighthouse demon. It can be pickpocketed [you can steal his heart - so romantic!], attacked and killed without any reaction [stopping the main quest?] and tricked with the key. What I mean is that even if I drop the key on the ground, the demon will act as if I still have it.
Posted Image

Another funny thing - hordes of commoners. Each of them is trying to reach location's point (0.0). You set bad 'Destination' parameter in your *.are files.
Posted Image Posted Image

And now a typical bug.
Spoiler
And then after he cures us we can talk to him again and his 'first-meeting' dialog activates. Besides talking to Lief ends up him escaping the area.
Posted Image Posted Image

Last but not least - we can just kill every guard in the Cerendor Hold and no one will pay any attention.
Spoiler

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

That's it for now. It is not like I am picking on. I just think that fixing those things will make your mod better. Thanks for attention. ^_^

Ki

#2 Shaitan

Shaitan
  • 800 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 10:21 AM

This is good testing :)

I somewhat agree about the obstracle thingy, but I suspected it to be too much of a hazzle for Yovaneth. And I could walk around the table etc. but ok, let's see what Yovaneth says.

The stuff the guardian(s) drop in the cave with the flower I've mentioned before, again let's see what Yovaneth says.

The theft of the heart: I don't know what to say: It must be a bug :)

Another funny thing - hordes of commoners. Each of them is trying to reach location's point (0.0). You set bad 'Destination' parameter in your *.are files.

We've run into this a couple of times during testing. I haven't seen them for a while...

The rest is pure buggers.

Time for the arrival of Yovaneth :)

And good work btw :)

Cheers

#3 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 02:21 PM

Thanks for the holding reply Shaitan.

The search maps seem to work okay so I won't be changing them. The time needed to change them all would be horrendous.

I'll tone down the Cave Guardian's items. That was fixed at one point so it looks like the wrong version got included in the release package.

YS0250 is on the fix list. So are the commoners in Cerendor Hold.

Killing the demon is not a good idea. Like so much of the Baldur's Gate series, it is possible to kill off plot characters and totally screw the main game. It just isn't possible to take account of all of thses. Mind you, I will fix that bit about his heart!!

Elminster's dialog is on the fix list.

Cerendor Hold guards - same response as for the demon. Killing the guards will destroy the plotline.

Many thanks for the bug reports - I appreciate it.

-Y-

#4 Lava Del'Vortel

Lava Del'Vortel

Fiction Enforcer

• Modder
  • 2298 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 02:29 PM

The search maps seem to work okay so I won't be changing them. The time needed to change them all would be horrendous.

Mind me suggest something? You don't have to use any editor, as far as I think... Even Paint would do. Just check the colour of light obstacle, open Paint, change the colour of the obstacle with one click, save. I know that it will still probably take some time, but on the otherhand in current version you have to go around the desk in bar to actually check if the barkeeper is there. Every single table works like that...
...still I understand there are tons of the areas, so it's up to you :) I just already heard people complaining about it, that's why I wanted to make this note...

#5 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 03:03 PM

Just check the colour of light obstacle, open Paint, change the colour of the obstacle with one click, save.

I wish it was as simple as that. What if the table (or whatever) is against an outside wall? I'll think about it, but no guarantees. I do understand the complaint though.

[Edit] The last picture is the standard Fog-Of-War problem. Nothing I can do about that.

-Y-

Edited by Yovaneth, 28 February 2011 - 03:04 PM.

#6 TDouglas

TDouglas

Unwashed Wildling

• 121 posts

Donator

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:37 PM

First of all, thanks for a great mod! I only have one request for the next version ... it's a (minor but annoying) issue: the title "Government District West" is waaaay too long (for those of us using lower screen resolutions). The problem is that the long description bleeds over into the Temple and Government districts (and causes issues with mis-clicks when you're trying to get to either). Just shortening the name to Govt West or something should work nicely (for English at least).

#7 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:38 AM

I thought that at one point I had shortened it because someone else (Lava?) wanted to fit an area in south and west of GDW. Yes, I will keep that in mind.

-Y-

#8 TDouglas

TDouglas

Unwashed Wildling

• 121 posts

Donator

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:42 AM

Thanks, and again thanks for a great mod :clap: