PnP Mephits [IMPLEMENTED]

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:56 PM

That one was still easy, but the Imp Portal room fight in level 2 of CI was pretty challenging this time around (it never was previously for me), so kudos for that.

Thanks, glad you liked it. :)

Charmed imps/mephits don't seem to have their spellcasting/innate abilities when controlled by the player, intended?

Yes, for two reasons.

1) Per PnP rules, Charm Person and similar spells are not supposed to grant the caster absolute control over his opponents' abilities
2) It would require a pretty heavy script rewrite (NearestEnemy vs. GOODCUTOFF) which would ultimately diminish their effectiveness

P.S.

Out of curiosity, how did the trapped Cambion fare in your game, assuming you were using 3.63?

#22 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:42 PM

Out of curiosity, how did the trapped Cambion fare in your game, assuming you were using 3.63?

I'll let you know for next time, this time I was using a previous version (3.62).

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg

#23 Shaitan

Shaitan
  • 800 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:41 AM

Hi

I'm in the start of CI, and gets this message although no mephits are close/in sight to/of me (A mephit attempts to gate in other mephits). Is that intended?

Cheers

#24 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 04:38 AM

I'm in the start of CI, and gets this message although no mephits are close/in sight to/of me (A mephit attempts to gate in other mephits). Is that intended?

It depends.

Whenever a partymember encounters a mephit the creature shouts for help (figuratively) which sends out a warning to any other mephits that may be nearby. If they hear that, they will go to full alert and among other things, attempt to gate in other mephits. Also, note that some mephits can turn invisible and can still open gates.

#25 Shaitan

Shaitan
  • 800 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:52 AM

Ok, but none were close.

It doesn't matter much, I'm impressed with the feature.

Thanks

#26 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:08 PM

Since I'm already borrowing IWD graphics for the PnP Elementals component, I might as well pass them down to some other parts of the mod. Ergo, here are some new mephit spell effects. ;)

Posted Image
Mephit eye candy

On a slightly related note, I've noticed that 1x/round aura effects seem to trigger more reliably when applied via opcode #232 than when they are called from a creature's script. I suspect that it might have something to do with the quirkiness of the AttackReevaluate() action.

Edited by aVENGER, 15 February 2012 - 04:32 PM.

#27 aigleborgne

aigleborgne
  • 95 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:22 PM

I have never played IWD but their effects are very nice !
I like it :)

On a slightly related note, I've noticed that 1x/round aura effects seem to trigger more reliably when applied via opcode #232 than when they are called from a creature's script. I suspect that it might have something to do with the quirkiness of the AttackReevaluate() action.

AttackReevaluate and AttackOneRound are a mess...
It would be a good question to ask to Ascension64 if he can do something about these attacks in TobEx

#28 Pol

Pol
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:09 AM

The only problem with implementing aura type abilities directly through #232 is that if they are called through an equipped item they'll continue to tick if the creature gets petrified.

#29 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:49 AM

The only problem with implementing aura type abilities directly through #232 is that if they are called through an equipped item they'll continue to tick if the creature gets petrified.

Interesting, I didn't know that one.

I did notice that using 8 and 9 as param2 for opcode #232 applies the aura when any creature is in range (i.e. not just enemies). Because of that, I had to remove the aura names as to not spam the combat log while the creatures are not actively fighting. Also, for some using 1 or 10 as param2 didn't work for me. I'm guessing it might be because the item which applies the aura is equipped by an enemy (red circle). In any case, it's still more reliable than applying the aura via script due to the aforementioned funkiness of the attack actions.

#30 -Zen-

-Zen-

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:22 AM

So I just wanted to say that I love this component. Combined with SCS this makes the intial dungeon much more fun to tackle while adding a desperately needed diversity in creatures. I am anxiously waiting for the Elemental and Undead portions. They can't get here soon enough for me.