PnP Fey creatures [IMPLEMENTED]

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 Galactygon

Galactygon

Modding since 2002

• 938 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:06 AM

I'll look into it, but frankly it's not a high priority issue as dispel magic works fine for that purpose. Also, I'd prefer not adding a new sectype just for this as their quantity is limited.

Thanks to ADD_SECTYPE, this isn't much of a problem if we set up a community standard like ADD_SPELL. I use the sectypes "Blindness" and "Deafness" for my own work. Note that you can use the sectype field in external .effs and then selectively protect against / dispel them. They will also be (normally) dispelled if you dispel the parent spell (or even another .eff!). This way you can have an effect belong to more than one sectype.

-Galactygon
Posted Image

#22 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 04:51 AM

7th: 2 Dryads or 1 Hamadryad
10th: 3 Hamadryads
13th+: 4 Hamadryads and 1 Nymph

13th+ seem too large a crowd. I know Summoning Cap Removal is out there, but it's not that common in installs.

Thanks to ADD_SECTYPE, this isn't much of a problem if we set up a community standard like ADD_SPELL

Spell Revisions v4 will also utilize about a dozen of custom sectypes (Charm, Haste, Slow, Petrification, Spell Shield, Insects, Blindness, I-forgot-what-else), so setting on a standard is gonna be good.

Note that you can use the sectype field in external .effs and then selectively protect against / dispel them.

Does it work? Afair many of EFF's parameters (e.g. duration) get replaced by parent SPL's.

PS What's next on the "PnP %creatures%" list? :)

Retired from modding.

#23 Andrea C.

Andrea C.
  • Modder
  • 458 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 06:10 AM

"PnP every other creature in the game still left unmodded"?

Hey, you can't blame me for trying! :D

#24 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:51 AM

13th+ seem too large a crowd. I know Summoning Cap Removal is out there, but it's not that common in installs.

That won't be a problem. I treat all Fey creatures as gated, which means that they aren't affected by the summoning cap in any way.

Probably oozes or elementals, but not very soon.

#25 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:27 AM

Another small update regarding Dryads and Hamadryads. I finally found a way to use their Speak With Plants spell-like ability. It's anti-entangle properties may not be earth-shatteringly powerful, but they could come in handy during early gameplay.

Posted Image
Speak With Plants vs. Entangle

Basically, this spell frees the Dryad/Hamadryad's allies from entanglement and makes them immune to any subsequent Entangle spells for 1 turn. It also serves as justification as to why the Hamadryad's Entangle spell-like ability doesn't affect her allies, contrary to the original spell.

#26 Dakk

Dakk
  • 398 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 01:17 PM

A low-key change with great effect, nice work!

EDIT: What do you think about phrasing the description something like this:

This spell allows the caster to converse with plants and to exercise limited control over them. Creatures entwined by an Entangle spell can be released (even if the spell was cast by an opponent) and are protected from all subsequent entangle effects for 1 turn. Furthermore, by communicating her intent to nearby plants, the caster can prevent her own Entangle spell from affecting her allies - this ability is always active.

Edited by Dakk, 21 October 2011 - 01:26 PM.

#27 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 03:57 PM

What do you think about phrasing the description something like this:

Done, thanks! :)

#28 aigleborgne

aigleborgne
  • 95 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 02:46 AM

Very nice idea, I like it !
I just wonder about one thing : if an enemy dryad/hamadryad cast entangle, both parties would be immune to entangle.
But well, it won't occur often :)

#29 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 03:12 AM

I just wonder about one thing : if an enemy dryad/hamadryad cast entangle, both parties would be immune to entangle.

That won't happen as the Hamadryad uses a special version of the Entangle spell which only affects her enemies. I.e. if this spell is cast by a hostile Hamadryad, it will only affect green circled characters. OTOH, if a party-summoned Hamadryad casts this, it will only affect red circled characters.

As for Speak With Plants, that's a separate ability which only affects the Dryad/Hamadryad's allies granting them temporary immunity to all Entangle spells.

#30 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 06:43 AM

And finally, here's the revised Nymph. As you can see, she is now restricted to a purely druidic spell selection and has fewer spell slots than in the unmodded game. However, I think she still might have some appeal as a summon due to her Blinding Beauty ability.

Posted Image
Blinding Beauty vs. Orcs

I originally wanted to make the Blindness permanent, as per PnP, but it seems that the engine has some issues with removing Blindness if Timing Mode 1 is used. In gameplay terms, limiting the duration to 24 hours will probably make very little difference. Also, it should be noted that this ability only works on Humanoids, unlike the Nature's Beauty spell which can affect dragons, elementals and even undead creatures in the unmodded game.

#31 Andrea C.

Andrea C.
  • Modder
  • 458 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:51 AM

Kudos to you for another great component!! :cheers:

#32 Galactygon

Galactygon

Modding since 2002

• 938 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 01:21 PM

That won't happen as the Hamadryad uses a special version of the Entangle spell which only affects her enemies. I.e. if this spell is cast by a hostile Hamadryad, it will only affect green circled characters. OTOH, if a party-summoned Hamadryad casts this, it will only affect red circled characters.

As for Speak With Plants, that's a separate ability which only affects the Dryad/Hamadryad's allies granting them temporary immunity to all Entangle spells.

Your interpretation is very original. I like it.

-Galactygon
Posted Image

#33 Shaitan

Shaitan
  • 800 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:54 AM

This addon is really cool. BG1 sirenes are no walkover anymore. I'd rather avoid them now :cheers:

However it seems that the Sirenes spawns that fog both as sirens and in polymorphed state, wasn't it supposed to be like 1/day?

Very very cool, now I'm looking foreward to meet Hamadryad.

:hug:

#34 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:13 AM

This addon is really cool. BG1 sirenes are no walkover anymore. I'd rather avoid them now :cheers:

Glad you liked it. :)

However it seems that the Sirenes spawns that fog both as sirens and in polymorphed state, wasn't it supposed to be like 1/day?

Sirines shouldn't be using their spell-like abilities while polymorphed. Are you sure it isn't the Mustard Jelly's Toxic Vapors that you're seeing?

The jelly monster secretes a vapor over a 10-foot radius. Those near the jelly must roll a saving throw vs. poison each round. Those who fail the saving throw become lethargic and move at half-normal speed, due to the effects of the vapor. The toxic effects last for two rounds and they are cumulative.

Note that this is completely different ability from the Sirines' Fog Cloud which is 1x/day.

Edited by aVENGER, 15 January 2012 - 10:18 AM.

#35 Dakk

Dakk
  • 398 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:15 AM

Just two questions aVENGER.

1) Is the purpose of Fog Cloud to make missile weapons (totally) ineffective, so the Sirine can creep up on you and use the Touch of Tranquility?

2) Completely unrelated, but your link to the Mustard Jelly made me think of it; do Green Jelly (still) permakill in BG if a save vs death is failed? I seem to recall horrible chunking death if a +4 save wasn't made. That's not really how the poison works in PnP, and it's rather perverse for a 65 XP creature. Do you know how it works? :)

#36 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:38 AM

1) Is the purpose of Fog Cloud to make missile weapons (totally) ineffective, so the Sirine can creep up on you and use the Touch of Tranquility?

It's more of a general distraction on the Sirines' part. As long as the victim remains in the Fog Cloud it gets hit by a blindness effect every round. The blindness wears off after the victim runs out of the Fog Cloud. OTOH, Sirines mainly try to use their use Touch of Tranquility on low AC characters and spellcasters, regardless whether they are in the Fog Cloud or not.

2) Completely unrelated, but your link to the Mustard Jelly made me think of it; do Green Jelly (still) permakill in BG if a save vs death is failed?

I think so, yes. The original implementation is a bit clunky and I'll probably handle it differently in PnP Ooze creatures.

If you're interested, I was thinking of having the effect applied as a disease which deals 4 points of damage per second (up to 96 points in total) but allows the victim a window of 4 rounds to receive a Cure Disease spell before dying. Also, this attack would be suicidal for the Green Slime, unless the victim dies, in which case two new slimes pop out of its body.

#37 Dakk

Dakk
  • 398 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:50 PM

It's more of a general distraction on the Sirines' part. As long as the victim remains in the Fog Cloud it gets hit by a blindness effect every round. The blindness wears off after the victim runs out of the Fog Cloud. OTOH, Sirines mainly try to use their use Touch of Tranquility on low AC characters and spellcasters, regardless whether they are in the Fog Cloud or not.

Will the blindness effect give the normal effects of blindness, i.e. a substantial malus to THAC0? The description doesn't seem to imply that ("The fog obscures all sight [...] beyond 2 feet"), as two feet should be enough to engage in melee.

I think so, yes. The original implementation is a bit clunky and I'll probably handle it differently in PnP Ooze creatures.

If you're interested, I was thinking of having the effect applied as a disease which deals 4 points of damage per second (up to 96 points in total) but allows the victim a window of 4 rounds to receive a Cure Disease spell before dying. Also, this attack would be suicidal for the Green Slime, unless the victim dies, in which case two new slimes pop out of its body.

Handling it differently sounds great :) I like the effect, but does death happen no matter if you survive the 96 damage or not (in other words, unless you've got Cure Disease you're toast after one failed save)? That's a quite bit harsher than PnP where you can scrape or burn the slime off. Not sure how to emulate that.. maybe allow a saving throw every round (4) until death? If you make the saving throw the ongoing damage also cease.

Love the detail about two new slimes!

Edited by Dakk, 15 January 2012 - 12:52 PM.

#38 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:31 PM

Will the blindness effect give the normal effects of blindness, i.e. a substantial malus to THAC0?

It gives a -10 penalty to THAC0, as that is the hardcoded secondary effect for the blindness opcode in the BG2 engine. However, you can change that locally with TobEx.

Not sure how to emulate that.. maybe allow a saving throw every round (4) until death? If you make the saving throw the ongoing damage also cease.

That's pretty much how I envisioned it. However, it also depends on whether that implementation will be technically feasible. I'm not entirely sure about that, since the component is still in early planning stages.

Edited by aVENGER, 15 January 2012 - 01:31 PM.

#39 Dakk

Dakk
  • 398 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:18 PM

When you say I can change it with TobEx, do you mean the effect of all blindness (unwanted) or just the blindness caused by the fog?

That's pretty much how I envisioned it. However, it also depends on whether that implementation will be technically feasible. I'm not entirely sure about that, since the component is still in early planning stages.

Great minds think alike :lol:
Well we'll (mostly you;)) have to see what's doable when the coding comes around then. Sounds like you're on the right track though! And again, if you need testing just let me know.

#40 Shaitan

Shaitan
  • 800 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:46 PM

Sirines shouldn't be using their spell-like abilities while polymorphed. Are you sure it isn't the Mustard Jelly's Toxic Vapors that you're seeing?

The jelly monster secretes a vapor over a 10-foot radius. Those near the jelly must roll a saving throw vs. poison each round. Those who fail the saving throw become lethargic and move at half-normal speed, due to the effects of the vapor. The toxic effects last for two rounds and they are cumulative.

Note that this is completely different ability from the Sirines' Fog Cloud which is 1x/day.

I will look closer next time, I guess the fog isn't a fog but rather a toxic vapor ;) Thanks for looking into it.